TKR Coming along<<

@Elad1002,

Don’t discount yoga in the future. A few years ago I took a yoga class with a friend who had a TKR 9 months before. It was the first time she took yoga after the surgery. She really worked that knee in class and afterwards told me how pleased she was with how the knee responded. She had absolutely no issues. Now it was 9 months later but just enforces the idea of a 6-12 month recovery for me. Your ROM is great. It’s where I am too.
You’re probably going to get the nasty weather that’s predicted here in MD also. This does not help my mood.
I do undertstand how you feel.
 
Last edited:
@Elad1002, you are correct that it’s hard for many of us to understand what you are going through if we’ve never experienced anxiety or depression. Just like those who’ve never had a TKR don’t really understand what the recovery is like and the challenges one can face. At least with your fellow BoneSmarties, we all understand the TKR part! We are your cheerleaders, we are your support mechanism when those doubts are creeping in, just trust in us and know we all have your back!

Something to think about... if you want to get additional feedback from others who also experience anxiety and depression, you might want to have your thread title changed to include a mention of such. That way when people view the thread titles or search they can find yours easier.
 
Your recovery is coming along nicely and your bend is better than mine! Mine is only 123. All of us suffered through the 'what ifs', though yours is more extreme. Keep coming here and voicing your concerns and we'll be glad to listen. Having an OS being your cheerleader sounds great. Most OSs act like they're finished with us and just go away. Yours cares.
 
@sistersinhim
Thank you for your kind words. I know that in time I will be in a better place with all.of this. Today I walked for 30 minutes in the local Shopping Mall with a compression stocking. I felt like I could've kept going. Does there come a point when you dont feel.like you have a hunk.of metal in your leg, does it ever begin to feel.more natural, or at least forget about it ? I've heard some people say it takes time to desensitize to it. I haven't yet.
 
You're just at about 3 months so it is normal not to feel normal. ;) It sounds like you're doing quite well. :thumb:
 
So does the knee feel less invasive eventually? Do you get used to it?
 
@Elad1002 I don't know about the knee - I'm just a week different from you and I am still swollen etc. I can tell you that in January 2014 I had my hip replaced and I now NEVER think about it. I know that everyone says the knee replacement is harder than the hip but truthfully my hip replacement really shocked my body. I did have a good recovery with it but actually my knee has been a faster recovery. Okay - that's not all the way right but it's hard to explain! I know that when my hip was done I used my cane for a lot longer, probably close to six months. I am just over three months with the knee and when there's no snow and ice, I feel quite comfortable walking without my cane. But I am still swollen and although my bend is getting better, it's certainly nowhere close to what it was before surgery. Also, when I first stand up now it takes me a little while to get my legs under me. That also happened with my hip and it eventually went away. So I guess what I'm saying is that we will probably get used to having a new knee.
 
@grandma chris
Thanks for your response. It sounds by your description that we are exactly at the same phase of healing. I walk without any aides. I get nervous when I feel pinching under my knee when I walk sometimes but thing that may have to do with the swelling. I have less swelling some days, and more on others. I have to go back to work next Monday, and have already decided that I may not be able to resume my responsibilities because I'm on my feet a lot. I work in Healthcare and can wheel myself around if needed, but not sure I want to do that. I am looking forward to the distraction though.
I have spent too much time worrying about this knee surgery, I still struggle with regret, and that's the hardest thing. My painful arthritic joint wasnt that great but I knew how to get around despite the pain. I'm not used to having a knee replacement and it feels weird at best. I guess time will tell if it was a good decision, once I can walk normally and with more speed.
I am working through it, with hope's that I will find acceptance. I have a Dr. appointment on Tuesday and will think positive thoughts that everything is good. Take Care my friend and thanks for reaching out.
 
I'm a long way off yet, but I'm hoping one day I will be walking and realise I haven't even thought about my knee in the same way that I attempted the stairs one foot over the other without thinking about it one day. That didn't go so well, the knee obviously wasn't quite ready! Hopefully, that too will come in time. I know what you mean about being used to how the knee was before surgery, but remember that didn't happen overnight so we became accustomed to the gradual deterioration. That's very different to the instant shock of surgery. You're only just over 3 months. That's a quarter of the way to recovery so don't give up on it just yet. Take it easy returning to work and try to elevate and ice in any breaks you have.
 
@Lindylee
Thank you for your continued support. I feel like this group is giving me cognitive behavioral therapy, which is exactly what I need. I have to confront all these fears in my head with facts...like I'm only 14 mos PO. Swelling at this phase is to be expected. It will get better, the future will be better. Worse case scenarios that are running around in my brain are the result of stress, not being prepared for this surgery and an unrelenting anxiety disorder. Tommorow I see my doctor to get the work release and I might ask him to add the weight limit with pushing wheelchairs, some patients are very heavy. I am Dir. of Therapeutic Recreation in long term care-wonder if I will ever be able to get back to that. I have a surgeon who thinks you should be able to do everything but run. My son lives in Tokyo and they just had a new baby- if you ever experienced the train platforms there, you"ll understand why I wont be going to see him this year. I never checked but they must have elevators. That's neither here nor there, so far this recovery seems disabling which is why I often wonder why I did it. Thanks for understanding.
 
Last edited:
That worry worm that gets into our brain is a real pest isn't it? Just as we talk ourselves into a more positive frame of mind he pops up again with the 'but what if?' I don't have an anxiety order, but he still crops up now and again. It must be so much worse in your situation. I do feel for you.
 
You are 14 months post op or 14 weeks?
Everything you are experiencing is perfectly normal. I have anxiety and OCD so I do understand but I learned that stress actually can cause the body damage and prevent healing and rest so I talked to my family doctor for help. It sounds like getting back to work may be good for you.
 
@traceys
I am 14 weeks post OP. The surgery triggered my anxiety once again and I have been obsessing in the worst way about the , "what- ifs"
Only someone with anxiety could appreciate the hellish nightmare of those relentless obsessions. I am on an antidepressant that is beginning to help and Ativan. I am seeing a therapist for cbt. I understand the relationship between healing and stress which doesnt help me to know. It's hard right now, but am determined to break this cycle.
 
This is only my experience and certainly not meant to say it is the best for everyone but I went back to work last week at 10 weeks and God what a difference. I had been in a very dark depression to the point I was just shutting down. I stopped coming on here for support or turning to anyone for that matter. My poor fiance was at a loss because he could do nothing but watch and I was so close to giving up and thinking I would never feel better. I convinced my OS I was ready and he let me go. I found immediate relief. I'm very structured to the point of being OCD at times and I am like a new person again with something to focus on other then my knee. I hope you find what may work and feel better soon.
 
@donnag1108
Thank you for these encouraging words. I am so glad that returning to work has helped you with your depression. I see my doc today for a work release. I'm hoping for a similar result from retuning to work. I'm starting back part time (20 hours) and will phase back into 40 hours. I've been getting calls all week from work because of problems in my department so anticipate being busy problem solving from the get go.
 
@Elad1002, I’ll bet you find that going back to work helps more than your mental health. My guess is that you will be so busy thinking about other challenges that you will “forget” about your knee and just let it do it’s thing. There will be times it will give you little reminders which will be important to pay attention to, but in the long run, you’ll be better off.
 
So does the knee feel less invasive eventually? Do you get used to it?
Yes, believe it or not, one day you will suddenly realise that you haven't thought abut your knee all day.

The Knee will no longer rule your life; it will just become a part of you.

Both my knees are artificial. One is 7 years old and the other is 4 years old. I hardly think about them at all and I get quite a shock when I see those large pieces of metal on an X-Ray.

I'm so thankful that I live in an age when knee replacement is possible. Without those knee replacements, I would be in a wheelchair by now.
 
@gia2cats
Thank you for asking. By some crazy miracle, the doctor said, I know you were worried about the materials in your knee implant. I just want you to know that they are oxinium, zirconium and titanium. There is no nickel. I have been so stressed because I have a nickel sensitivity.
All looks good except that I have a little fat pad impingement that may improve when the swelling improves. I start work on Monday, 20 hours until April, then will resume 40 hours. Well, things are moving along, thanks for caring.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom