TKR Coming along<<

@Elad1002 I think I have the same discoloration. It doesn't go right up to the incision but seems to be a very subtle area of darker skin about 1.5 inches wide and all around my scar. When I had my hip replaced I had the same kind of thing and I assumed this was the same. I'll be following with interest. The hip discoloration went away in time.
 
I still had brown staining around my incision for a long time.
My surgeon said it was iron staining from the blood in the bruising.

Several months later, it had faded away.
 
Josephine, Celle, grandma chris

Thank you all for your caring concern. I have the same discoloration that Celle and grandma Chris mentioned. I had my annual skin audit at my dermatologist today due to the removal of an atypical mole last year. She said the skin on my knee looked good. She also said the discoloration was nothing to be concerned about and should lesson or disappear within the next few months.
Thank you all.
 
@Elad1002,

That is good to hear. Some of my knee looks perfect and then there are other areas that look a little more bruised. Not big areas but I still wondered about it. Saw my OS last week and he was pleased but I still wondered why it wasn’t more uniform in appearance. Guess those areas still have healing going on underneath the skin.
 
My incision is just about 2 years old and still has some dark red areas on it. 3 different surgeons have seen it and none have commented on it.

My son had surgery almost 3 years ago when he broke his arm, and his incision is still a dull red, with no problems.

I guess we all heal differently.
 
@gia2cats
Good morning. We are both about the same time out and I know we are not supposed to compare but I'm still stiff and swollen. Better than last month, but wish it were better than this. I have to go to work in a few weeks and am getting concerned. Hows the stiffness?
 
@Elad1002,

I still have some swelling, particluarly at the top of my incision. Stiffness is improving. I have no pain at all while walking around the house but when I’m on my feet for longer such as shopping and moving quickly, I get a slight pain where the IT band would be at the lower end of the knee. I’ve had piriformis and IT issues in the past.
I know my knee is good and strong but now realize that other issues are still present and I have to deal with that. Need to do my IT exercises and I do slack off on those.
Getting an injection in my other knee before our cruise. I found that I was putting the non-TRK knee on the step first when going down the steps. So obviously my body knows that my left knee is more of an issue. Really can’t wait for spring to be able to get outside.

Maybe going back to work will be a positive thing for you. I know when I have too much time to concentrate on something, I tend to obsess. I also have generalized anxiety disorder since childhood. I’m looking forward to the cruise because my focus will be on something other than my knee. At least I hope so.
 
@gia2cats
I think I've been overdoing it on stairs. I have a new pain under kneecap which is where it hurts when walking downstairs. It is nerve wracking whenever I get a new pain. I'm so anxious lately, and yes I obsess. I have it in my mind that the joint is too big and that's why I have pain and stiffness. That's probably not true, but an anxious thought. Think since I have no plans today, I will spend it elevating and icing. Have a good cruise!!!
 
@Elad1002,

And unless you have anxiety, you honestly cannot understand how overwhelming it can feel. My husband is wonderful but just doesn’t get why I can’t relax about things some times. After all these years I do have coping techniques which help, but it is right below the surface. And you never know what can trigger it.
Cruise isn’t for 3 weeks which may be a good thing. I feel like I’m getting a cold.
 
@gia2cats
Absolutely, thanks for understanding. I keep thinking something is wrong with my knee. I
Have an appointment with my OS next Tuesday to get the ok for work. I am going to express all my concerns even if they are exaggerated. I think this may help me get a better grasp on my normal recovery. My anxiety is out of control right now, I'm having a bad time of it with daily panic attacks. I never expected it to be triggered like this.
 
@Josephine
Good afternoon. I have been attempting to go downstairs and yesterday had a sharp pain behind knee cap where the joint is. I still have that today along with a pinching feeling along the lower joint line when I walk normally. I wont be doing that again for some time, I'm icing and resting today. Any ideas?
 
I keep thinking something is wrong with my knee.
I think that all that is wrong with your knee is that it is only 3 months old. That's only a quarter of the way through this year-long recovery.
Your knee isn't finished yet. It's still a work in progress, not the completed article.
Try to give it time - I'm sure it's going to be all right in the end.

I'm sorry the panic attacks are plaguing you. That can't be nice. :friends:
 
@Elad1002 Dale, I have moved one of your posts from Suzyq58's thread to your own thread. That's because you were derailing her thread by asking Josephine to advise you about your own problem.

Please remember to post and ask questions about your recovery in your own recovery thread. Thank you.
 
That's OK. You'll know when you're posting in your own thread because your posts will have a light grey background.
 
@Elad1002 so sorry to see your still struggling. This is such a hard and sometimes slow recovery. I had all kinds of aches and pains show up but I had to learn not too worry too much and trust the process and it certainly helped I had total confidence in my surgeon. Give yourself and your knee time, I found that truly is the best way to heal. I know it's easier said then done!
 
@donnag1108
Thank you. I did trust my surgeon, it's just that I'm anxious because the recovery is such a long process. My surgeon doesnt seem sympathetic about that, he just says, you have to keep moving. And says, wait till you really start using that knee, it will be your strong one. Hes more like a cheerleader at this point.
Anxiety is hard, many people dont quite understand how devastating this illness I'd. I have these automatic negative thoughts (ants) that say, what if you made a mistake! And, what if things dont progress normally? And what about 10 years from.now? You will never be able to do yoga now. It's as if I'm in a constant struggle with the "what-ifs" and "could-bes" as if they'd already happened. Then there's the blaming myself for not doing enough research prior to the surgery, which is true. I wasnt prepared well.
I have a PT now who is helping me with functional stuff like balance and proper walking because I limped so long prior to surgery, and she tells me I'm doing great, my only problem is my lack.of confidence. Last night I was awake all night struggling with negative thoughts. I combat them by keep telling myself that I am having a normal recovery and things are progressing well.
I just wanted to share that for people who dont understand what anxiety is like. I need people to think positively for me so I can hear it and believe it. My mind plays tricks on me. Thanks. My ROM was 0/128 today.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom