TKR Coming along<<

@Celle
It's like you were reading my mind, I freaked when I heard many years!!! Thanks for the clarification!
 
@Celle
I noticed a prior post of yours about needing to squat when descending stairs. I am 13 weeks po and wondering when to attempt that feat. Is it necessary to practice with mini squats first?
I never did. Just take it slow and easy on the stairs and take it gradually. For me going down stairs easily took quite a bit longer than going up--but that's typical. At 12 weeks with knee #1 I was going down somewhat gingerly but by a month later it wasn't much of an issue.
Slowly but surely and you get there.
 
@Elad1002, Dale I should make myself more clear. Yes I do go downstairs foot over foot, but it is very slow going and often tentative, depending on how swollen I am. And sometimes I kind of have to hitch my hip up to help out. It's not a pretty sight and I'm sure the PT's would not like the hip hitching bit, but needs must! I don't have to do that all the time and it's slowly getting better. I don't want you to think that I'm running up and down the stairs like a kid lol!
 
@grandma chris
I am probably trying to rush it. I am still swollen and the amount of swelling seems to vary from day to day. I'm nervous about going back to work, thought I would be further along in recovery by now.
 
@Josephine
Hello again. So I've been struggling with anxiety and depression and am now taking an antidepressant. I went to my primary care doctor for an examination and had all my blood levels checked. I have Hoshimotos thyroiditis and have been on thyroid med for 10 years with minimal variations in TSH levels. My TSH read 8.9, it has never been this level before. I read where severe physiological stress, such as the stress of surgery can throw off blood values particularly blood sugar and thyroid.

I have to go for a follow up visit to the doctor this coming week and am wondering if the change in thyroid functioning could have triggered the depression/anxiety. I know there is a connection. Do you have any ideas regarding this, thank you.
 
@Elad1002, I’m sure Josephine will get back with you soon regarding your question. I will share that I have a close friend who also has a thyroid condition (don’t know what it is or name), but when she “gets out of whack” as she puts it, she also has bouts with depression. Since the thyroid is part of the hormonal system, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if there is a direct association. Hope everything gets all straightened out soon for you.
 
Elad, I'm so sorry but this really is outside my sphere of expertise. I'm just an ortho nurse!
 
@Elad1002 I don't know much about this subject. I Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I do not generally struggle with depression but I can tell you I have been in the darkest of places mentally at times since my surgery so I can only imagine how hard it is for someone who already has problems with depression and anxiety. I so hope you can find some relief. I am coming out on the other side and returning to work tomorrow. You are in my prayers.
 
@Elad1002,

I am so sorry that you are having such a difficulty recovery. My surgery was 2 days after yours, on the 29th. I just want you to know that while I feel I’ve had a pretty uneventful recovery, I still gets aches and discomfort in various parts of my knee and leg.
This morning I woke up and had some medial pain in the knee which had not bothered me before. Eventually, with some Tylenol and a few hours, it felt better. I think I probably just had my legs in an odd position while I slept.
I’m also still slightly swollen. And I agree with you, I honestly did not realize the recovery would take so long. Every February my husband and I watch our 2 grandsons while our daughter and son-in-law go someplace warm for 5 days. I never thought my knee would even be an issue after almost 3 months. But I found I had to make a lot of allowances for it. They had a very large 3 story house and the steps just about did me in. At my own home, our bedroom and bath are on the first floor. And my husband and I do not have nearly the laundry to do that I did those 5 days. It’s taken me a few days to recover from those 5 days.

But I’m just trying to take it one day at a time and let this knee recover when it will. You have the added stress of going back to work while I am a retired RN. I think that is weighing on your mind also.

In March we are going on a cruise for 10 days. I already know I will be walking slower and will have to take my time, especially at the airport. But in time, we will both put this recovery in our rear view mirror and be just fine.

Take care
 
@gia2cats
Thank you for your kind words. Though I'm healing well, I've had a difficult time emotionally. I have an anxiety disorder that hasnt troubled me for years but was triggered by the surgery. I've been fighting both depression and anxiety throughout. I just discovered that my TSH is 8.9 and may be responsible for the severity of my symptoms. I usually am closer to 1 with my thyroid meds. I will get through this. I have some swelling, not much pain. My knee is still slightly discolored, maybe deep bruising? I too get the occasional.pain here and there and morning stiffness. I will get through this, thank you.
Dale
 
Hi Dale, I think you're right. Your TSH is off and that surely can be contributing.

But I have to ask about the discoloration. It's too far along for their to be bruising. Can you further describe what you're seeing? What it looks like exactly, how large an area, and the location?
 
@mary02
I dont think I can handle any bad news at this point. Thank you for your concern. It looks mottled around the knee cap, my normal skin color mixed with a shade or two darker, brownish, but not near the incision line. It was quite bruised there, my shin is still bruised too. I was on Lovanox for 2 weeks after surgery, aspirin for 10 weeks, and I tend to bruise easily. Does that sound right?
 
Last edited:
I'll tag @Josephine to comment on the discoloration you have.

However, based on your description of pain and function, it seems as if you're recovering just fine.
 
@Elad1002, if possible, it might also help if you could post a picture that shows the discoloration you describe. Since you are on anticoagulants and bruise easily, that’s probably all it is, but better safe than sorry as Mary put it.
 
@NavyGunns
I have tried but cant seem to figure out how to post photos. Each time I upload a photo, I get an error message. Also, I am no longer on anticoagulants, havent been for several weeks.
 
Last edited:
@maryo52
I would like to upload a photo but cant seem to do it without getting the error message. I have to mention that last week I recieved a cupping massage around the knee, but the discoloration has been there for a while, I just don't know. I dont have any real pain to speak of, still some stiffness and swelling which has also decreased.
 
@Elad1002, I had the same problem when I first joined. Found out my photo size was too large. When I resaved the photo to a medium or small file size, they uploaded just fine.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom