TKR Clara welcomes her new knee!!!

If there is one piece of advice I can give is to try to strengthen your good knee prior to surgery and exercises for your abdomen, wow my abs are on fire, hahaha :flabber:
 
Welcome home! Don't get discouraged if you still have problems sleeping. Lots of us do. Tylenol PM is helping me too. The nurse said to just take one PM until I know how I will react. I am now getting so I can read during the night which has really helped past the time and keep me from getting anxious. This too will pass. I also found eating frequently really helped the nausea. I am at day 16 and can see some improvement but as everyone says, we are all different in how we heal. I also had a knock knee and now it looks straighter.
 
I must say that even if you are having a great day, by the end of it you are beat...OUCH!!!
 
Evenings are the hardest time of day for me too. Give yourself permission to lay around for the first couple of weeks, or more. Your body will thank you later. :SUNsmile:
 
Clara so happy to read that your leg is noticeably straighter - so awesome! Yes evenings are definitely the hardest but they do get better as the weeks go by. You're pooped but not so much on the ouchy side. [emoji2] Hope you are resting and icing comfortably.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had a bad day with nausea yesterday, I was not in much pain so I laid off the pain meds and it did help with nausea, I did some of my easy excercises, like heel slides, my knee feels very swollen and stiff...back on pain med, no appetite...overall I feel pretty good, just part of our journey :scratch:
 
Do you have any anti nausea meds, zofran, etc? Also either ginger ale, or even better some ginger candies or ginger beer. You can find those in like a Whole Foods, kinda place. Glad your pain is manageable, but you need to keep on med schedule, just augment it it with someithing to combat the nausea. Overall I think you are doing great. Love your attitude. That's a skill I need to work on.

Hope today is a better day.
 
Clara I really am so impressed at how prepared you were mentally for this recovery. I think you are going to do great just because of how prepared you were. Sorry about the nausea but like Diane said stay on your meds to keep that pain at bay and try to find something to help the nausea so you don't skip pain meds this early.

Hoping you have a great day of healing today.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@dianehelen I do have and take Zofran for nausea, did the crackers, ginger ale, and nothing really helped much yesterday, nausea didn't let up until around 7 p.m. last night, feeling better this morning!
 
Ughh. Well guess just part of the process. Maybe try some strong mints, wintergreen may help. Or try to find ginger candies. I have more than i care to remember experience with nausea from chemo a few years ago. Im gonna PM you another thought. Hope today is a better day
 
Hey Clara, I join you with the nausea problem. Two things my nurse did - one time she talked me out of it by telling me to breathe in though my nose and out my mouth - she kind of coached me through it. The other thing that was strange but effective - smelling an alcohol wipe. She said it distracts your mind. I'm wondering if it will get better once we're on the meds awhile.
 
Oh @Happydale you reminded me of something related to breathing that may help with the nausea as well as sleeping. It's called the 4-7-8 breathing technique.

Place the tip of your tongue right behind your two front teeth
Breathe in thru your nose to a count of 4
Hold you breath for a count of 7
With your lips pursed to like a small "O" blow your breath out for a count of 8

Repeat this three or four times.

I have found this very helpful for a variety of things. You can read more about it, just google 4 7 8 breathing

Hope this helps some
 
I found the smell of old fashioned smelling salts helped a bit with feelings of nausea, it's not just good for 'the vapours'!
 
Peppermint candies help me. I keep a bowl right in my nest area all the time.
 
I am 4 days out and backed off pain meds for stomach issues and it has helped me a lot, but we'll see how PT progresses w/o the narc stuff. Glad after the rough start that things are rolling along for you.
 
Don't let PT hurt you! Especially since you're off the strong pain meds. It's not worth it and any pain they cause is slowing down your healing. No pain, more gain! Many on this site, including me are proof of that! Just living your day to day life is PT enough!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Back
Top Bottom