TKR Clara welcomes her new knee!!!

So, sorry to go back a few posts, but so curious about your pedicure..did you ask the person to be extra careful?? I'd like to go in a week or so (when my daughter is here visiting), and thought about telling them to be extra cautious, (some can be rough pulling off a hang nail or something-don't want infection-my OS even said to stay away from acupuncture). Thinking maybe I should wait the precautionary 3 mos??
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
I was very uneasy about pedicures so I had the foot care nurse ( a Canadian specialty) come a few times. She just cuts nails, tho. Two weeks ago I got my first pedicure..so that's almost 6 months. I was nervous but all went well. I personally, would wait the 3 months, just like the dentist, etc. if you do go, yes, instruct them to be extra careful.
 
@LaylaHips I took my own cuticle cutter thingy, which I had disinfected at home, only allowed her to use the pumice thingy for the heels and told her to stay below the scar.

Sometimes I feel a little paranoid but I don't mind taking a few precautions to avoid a setback.

I had asked my OS he said it was OK.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Clara welcomes her new knee!!!
10 weeks post-op!!!
 
I have some great news and some not so great knows.

My knee has not had any swelling, since Friday, I only had to ice just once, I have not felt any pain.

When I went to my PCP for my surgery clearance he noticed that my right thyroid was a little enlarged, we agreed that we did not want to delay the TKR so he would check it again after my surgery. I went to see him on Aug 12th, he said the right thyroid felt larger and he suggested an ultrasound which I had
Last Friday, yesterday they called me that I had nodules on my thyroid and he wanted me to follow up with an endocrinologist, I never knew there so few endocrinologist in Tampa, one of the doctor's I work for is trying to grt me in with one soon. One doctor I called didn't have any appointments until December!!! I got a hold of the ultrasound report, I have 8 nodules, three on the left thyroid and five on the right, which three requure needle biopsies. Isn't life grand, there is the proverbial icing on my cake.

I'm really trying not to worry too much, but I'm not being successful, my dad has also not been feeling 100% and that also has me concerned. I know that God does not give us more than we can handle but I'm hanging on by the tip of my finger right about now. I hate the waiting game and I'm sick of doctor's!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bless your heart Clara- you are such a remarkable person. Of course you are concerned. Good for you for being proactive and not waiting around to see a endocrinologist. I will pray for you and your dad, right now. Remember, 'He's got the whole world.. in His hands'! I believe things will be just fine with hopefully minimal treatment. LOVE YOU!!
 
Clara, so sorry to hear about throyoid nodules. They can be alarming. But please remember that the vast majority are benign. My daughter went through this when she was 23 and ut oh turned out to be totally benign. My only other advice is to see a doctor who specializes in thyroids, as there are so many false positives. Will hope and pray you have better news to share soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Oh dear, so sorry to hear this, and just on the heels of such a major surgery. Lets hope for the best and just try to take a wait & see attitude. My thoughts are with you. Good thoughts for your dad too.
 
Thank you ladies @Suz, @Barnmom22 , @dianehelen , I know things will work out, trust me I can deal with a lot, I just feel a little overwhelmed at the time and it would be have been nice to get a break from my knee ordeal before having to deal with another medical issue, at least the knee is really behaving right now and I am very thankful for this!!!
 
but I'm hanging on by the tip of my finger right about now. I hate the waiting game and I'm sick of doctor's!!!

Oh blimey - you poor thing, that's all you need!

Good luck getting it sorted, thinking of you.
 
@dianehelen I know right know it feels like it's going to take a long time to feel much better, but trust me, it won't . You will soon start comparing how you feel from one week to the other and you will see a big difference, remember this takes tons of patience!!!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Thinking of you, Clara, as you go through thyroid issues. I've been through scans and biopsies and everything turned out fine - just need to take synthroid now. I hope and pray you get in soon with that specialist.

Hope you can focus on your successes with your knee and getting back to work . . .:flwrysmile:
 
Clara, I've known at least 2 people who had thyroid problems and they are doing fine. Both of them had radiation that destroyed it and are now taking pills and are having no problems at all. I even had a cat that had a thyroid problem and lived with it for over 5 years. It was kidney failure that killed him, not the thyroid problem. You have so many on this site who love you and will be praying for you. Thank God this site is back up and we can all share this with you!
 
One of the doctor's I work for was able to get me in with one of the best endocrinologists in the area on Sept 7th, so I feel a little better that at least I am scheduled to see someone, I know it will probably be ok, but it is still scary and not that there is ever a good time to deal with medical issues, but this is definitely the wrong time... I need a breather, just a little one :tiredwheel:

Thank you all so much for your kind words and your concern!!!
 
Clara, I have Hashimoto's disease. I had a goiter that was growing into my esophagus, not outward into the neck area, so it wasn't visible. There were also multiple nodules on my thyroid. I had all sorts of tests (no biopsy though) and the nodules were benign. I started taking synthroid which helped the goiter to shrink.

This is a lot after your TKR and your dad, but even if it's worse case scenario, it should be ok. I live in an area of the country that is experiencing a lot of thyroid problems. At one point all 5 first grade teachers in my school had some type of thyroid disorder and two had their thyroid removed completely. You can do this, truly after a TKR it should be a piece of cake. Big hugs for you, Clara!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom