TKR Clara welcomes her new knee!!!

How do you semi retire from teaching? In PA you couldn't teach part time because your retirement finances are based on the average of your last 3 years. Part time would mean 1/2 salary.
 
In the UK, if you go part time, it counts as a proportion of a year for pension purposes. So, say you went to 50% hours, for 2 years, then that would count as 1 year, at full salary, for pension calculation.

Of course, here in the UK, there are very very few pension schemes that work like this any more. Mostly now, you just save money in a pension pot and hope you've got enough to live on when you retire!
 
@KarriB she works for a private school under the Diocese of St Petersburg, FL so she can work up to 900 hrs a year, she's actually a support teacher for the same school where she worked F/T.
 
@DodgyKnee half time works the same way here in my state, PA. Two years half time = 1 year full time. But as a single lady I always worked full time and half year salary wouldn't average very well into retirement. To continue teaching, even as a sub while in retirement, the school I'd work for would have to get permission from the state retirement system. I'm very fortunate as PA has one of the best retirement plans for their teachers in the U.S. It's just new territory for me as it was a bit of a surprise, I wasn't planning on retirement for a few years.

Clara, I'm sure the 4 months until retirement will move quickly. It'll be Christmas before you know it and you'll be shopping with that new knee!
 
Well yesterday was a very difficult and mentally exhausting day, I slept all night, woke up this morning and actually didn't even think about my knee for a while.

I went to get my hair cut, to the mall to get my sister a birthday gift, got my first pedicure since my TKR (what a nice treat), had to go get an ultrasound, went grocery shopping and now I'm home, so far no swelling or pain. I was going to clean my kitchen and bathroom but decided not to push my luck.

Really good day so far!!!
 
It sounds like a wonderfully normal day, not a post tkr day!
 
So happy for you that you had a good day doing all the normal things we used to take for granted. And getting the first pedicure is a real treat. So nice to have pretty toes after all this knee focus. You deserve this good day after going back to work and being stressed with work, and your dad. More good days will happen.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB or @Celle this may be a silly question, is it ok to get the flu shot after TKR, don't laugh at me I just don't want to screw anything up and I forgot ask my OS, thanks
 
Oh, and add a pneumonia shot to that question. I was due in June.
 
@sistersinhim im glad I'm not the only one that worries about these things, I just don't want to do anything stupid to set me back:what:
 
Hey, I'm right there with ya! I'm even afraid to get a scratch or a hangnail! I won't let a cat on my lap unless I have a blanket or something like that draped over me. I don't want any chance of getting an infection in this knee!
 
I saw your question and although I don't think it should be a problem I checked th library. Nothing there. My dad has had both shots with 2 TKRs and now a THR with no issues. I'll check with Jamie though, just to be sure.

I've been exposed to all kinds of germs with my 6 year olds with barely a problem!
 
I don't think the flu or pneumonia shots would present any problem for a TKR, although you should probably confirm that with your doctors.

I've been having the flu shots every year, as well as a few other shots (tetanus, etc) since I had my knee replacements.
 
@sistersinhim I'm also paranoid about infection, and especially cat scratches.
I'm glad the topic of flu shots came up. Looking forward to the answer. Since it's not a live virus tho, there should be no risk. And it's bacteria that is a problem I believe, not viruses. But not sure.
 
I remembered that while in transition unit after TKR I was offered a flu shot, so definitely not a problem with it and pretty sure not an issue with other shots. But of course check with doc.
 
I had a wonderful day yesterday, I cooked dinner for my kids, grandkids and dad, I was tired by the end of the day, but my knee did not bother me at all.:dancy:

All is no well in Clara's world, I guess I had to have something to complain about because I dropped a two liter bottle of coke, cap down on my TKR foot :yikes: so that is still bothering me, I don't even drink coke, my son in law does, I told him to make sure he savored ever sip!

Today I rest, rest,rest!!!!

Have a great Sunday everyone :flwrysmile:
 
I hope someone else cleaned up after you cooked a delicious dinner! Glad to hear today is a rest day, there's that balance!
 
Ouch! I hope your foot is feeling better. A little ice there would help with swelling/pain in your foot.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom