TKR Clara welcomes her new knee!!!

My doctor has been trying to find something to help me sleep at night. After my original surgery I had much more pain in my knee than before the surgery. I stayed in my recliner because there was no way I could move onto my side to sleep in my bed. I elevated and iced my knee all night long. Now since my back and my other knee is bothering me that's what causing the problems now. Getting old is certainly not for sissies!:heehee:
Eventually I will fall asleep in my recliner and sleep longer than in my bed so I just stay here in my little nest. It's saving on my a/c too since I have all the vents on the second floor turned off. I just go up to shower.
 
@Josephine , I have a question, one of the things that my PT asked me to do at home is slide my kneecap side to side, and up and down, it's not moving today. Should I be be worried, I'm not in pain, swelling in moderate, it feels a little warm, but not hot.

Thank you,
 
I always wondered why they did that too. After my first surgery I couldn't understand when my knee cap was off center they couldn't tell that. This time ( different facility) the PT only did it on one occasion. It didn't make a difference in my recovery.
 
@newlybionic thanks for your response, the PT asked me to move it and massage the incision which I do every day, but the kneecap is not moving today.
 
Clara, thank you for sharing about both your difficult night and your delightful night. Hearing about others' experience gives me something to draw on when I'm in the middle of a dreadful long night. It gives me encouragement just to know that I might be able to suddenly sleep on my side!

Regarding the knee cap moving issue - my PT told me the same thing - that I should be pushing my knee cap around. I really couldn't move it. This morning my PT moved it, and said it was nice and mobile. I think it's just hard to do it correctly on our own. Fortunately, if I don't actually watch her do it, it doesn't bother me and doesn't hurt. I'll be interested to read Josephine's answer to this too.
 
That's not something we ever do in the UK and I really don't see the value of it. In my opinion, I think it's something dreamed up by your PTs with no scientific background and is more likely to cause swelling and soreness. I suggest you stop doing it. I never did anything like that for either of my knees and they are just fine.
 
Hi guys. Just yesterday my new p t said the same thing. He gently pushed my kneecap a few times. Didn't hurt. He also recommended I massage the scar a few times a day with lotion. But I thought we weren't supposed to use lotion at all. Is that right?




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Clara welcomes her new knee!!!
@dianehelen @Suz @sistersinhim @Floridagal look I got my glass of wine, it is me, see the scar? I covered it up right way, no sun for this baby...I'll probably get drunk on one glass of wine or two., salud ladies
 
By the way I forgot to include the picture on the previous post, I had to go back and add it, I guess he's wine is working, Hehe
 
Wow! That just gave me the biggest SMILE!

Look at YOU, ON the beach with your wine and your knee. Have a super awesome wonderful fantastic time

YAY FOR YOU

:wowspring::wowspring::wowspring::flwrysmile::SUNsmile:
 
Oh and your incision looks great. How are you feeling and how is it being away from your "nest"
 
As stupid as it sounds I feel emotional, during the day I can't come out for long, it's so hot I feel like I'm going to pass out, now I feel normal. It's probably the wine, yep is the wine, It's been a long time since I had a glass,lol
 
AWE.. NO FAIR!!! LOL!! What an awesome picture Clara-!!! I am SO jealous!

You scar looks remarkable and I just want to reach up and take that gass of wine from you- LOL! It dripped on my lap-top for goodness sakes, hahahaha!

Great post/picture! Thank you for sharing your joy with us- I absolutely LOVE the coast and plan to retire there once I'm done doing the my thing in the Appalachian Mountains! Hey.. you started it.. hee-hee!!

[Bonesmart.org] Clara welcomes her new knee!!!
 
AWE, I LOVE IT DIANE!! I guess it's safe to say Clara, You & I are women of the water- LOL! You look so gorgeous there!
 
@Barnmom22 I was told to massage without anything on it until 6 weeks, after that I could use triple antibiotic ointment, vitamin E or Mederma for scar, I bought the one with 30 SPF, I can start using it next week!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
women of the water


Oh yaaa, water is my jam. And the gulf of Mexico is my favorite beach water. This was on Sunset beach last week when we spent the week at our beach house. We were about 10 miles due south of the beach clara is on. I hope to get out there once more before surgery, then endure the long dry spell land bound.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom