TKR Clara welcomes her new knee!!!

Clara, you are doing very well, but this is a long recovery and you don't need the additional stress of worrying about not being able to go back to work as soon as you had planned. Only you know how your knee feels, and how much energy you have. I'm finding out that the healing process takes a lot longer than I would like, and you can't hurry it.
Wishing you all the best.
Tabby xxx
 
Don't even think about going back to work yet. I am 10 days ahead of you and it's no way I could go back to work yet. You'll be doing yourself a terrible injustice by abusing that knee of yours this early on. Do it the BoneSmart way. They suggest not going back for 12 weeks and then starting out on half days only.
 
You're right where you should be in your recovery, but remember 12 weeks is the usual before going back to work. Before surgery I thought I could do it in 8 weeks. So my surgery was Oct. 29 and I said I'd be back to school after Christmas break, January 3rd. Well it didn't work out for many reasons, but I did go back half days January 30th. I was supposed to go back the January 29th, but it was the Polar Vortex and there was a snow or cold day.

Don't worry or push yourself if you don't need to.
 
So here it is. 1:30 a.m. and I'm awake,,,

Yesterday my day as started on a good note I went to PT, was able to do the exercises without any problems, my ROM is 101 and extension 2.

My husband and I are driving home from PT when I get a call from my sister, my dads blood glucose must have dropped during the night and he was none responsive 911 was called, paramedics were not able to get him to respond so off to the hospital we go, it took a while but they finally got glucose under control, it was 12 when
paramedics checked it, he is in ICU overnight and they moving him to a regular room sometime today. I thank God my father pulled through, very scary moments.

I didn't get home until 9:00 p.m. no icing, very little elevating, a lot of walking, did have pain meds with me. My knee was a little swollen and achy when I got home, but not as bad as I thought it would be, maybe this is the turning point, let's hope!!!
 
@sistersinhim

I totally understand your being tired of this s...! So am I. My whole life revolves around this thing. The first thing I think of in the morning is my knee and the last thing at night is my knee. Just about all I talk about also revolves around my healing or discomfort with this thing. I want to go out and play! I want to ride my bike, so hiking, go to the movies, something besides just elevating and icing and watching stupid TV! You are so blessed to have people coming in and out to make you snap out of your mood. Having family close by really is handy and so helpful! I'm jealous, I've had no family come see me at all

I so get what you said! It's been my life for the past four months and yes, so tired of just going out for Pity rides in a friend's car. I have little family contact as well. It is only perhaps this past week that I've been re-entering the world and its so stimulating. Going to Costco was a thrill! Such stimulation. Never thought I'd think that! The world became so narrow. I can now say (knock on wood) that it will expand for all of us and what a lovely feeling to be back.
:loveshwr: :happydance:
At one month, where you are, I was housebound and feeling hopeless.
 
@uva55
I didn't even go into BS yesterday, I was having one of those "I'm so tired of this S@%T kind of day". I felt like a whinnie baby, tired of taking pills, being cold, having aches and pains, icing, elevating, constipation, looking at the same 4 walls, not sleeping, not driving, etc. Then my son came over with my 5 year old grandson, and he noticed that I was walking without any aid, and he said "Uva (grandkids call me Uva) you are better, soon I will be able to take you to the park to play, isn't that great?". So I told myself, snap out of it and concentrate on getting better you big baby.

Your feelings are so reminiscent of mine not so long ago. I just felt like a broken record of misery. But how wonderful that a grandchild can just pull us out of ourself-absorption.:hi:
I think it's way too soon to think of work now. You need more time to heal and begin to enter the world in general.
Take the additional time if possible.
Hope your dad will be ok....sounds like a pretty scary event. Thank goodness he was able to get to the hospital. Let us know how he's doing.
 
Clara, delay the work if you can until the knee is heeled a little more. Sure you CAN do it but is it really worth the effort and maybe increased pain. I hope you father is able to control his blood sugar and get back to normal soon.
 
Try to hold off, especially now that your dad isn't well. If you don't have to return financially don't. It'll just be one less thing for you to worry about.
 
Clara, I am so thankful your dad's OK and so is your knee! What a test it went through yesterday and last night. I bet you were really aching. Were you able to sleep well last night? You and your dad are in my prayers.
 
Hi, Clara! Just getting caught up and it sounds like you've been through a LOT in the past five or six days! Wow! I'm starting to think about that "return to work" question, too. Hope your sleep continues to improve. Mine has been awesome the past couple of nights!
 
Oh dear. So sorry about your dad, very scary stuff. Hope they can get him stabilized and he ok. But sounds like you are doing pretty well.

Just drove over the h frankland bridge and waved to you :-) we are spending the rest of the week out at the beach house in st pete beach. I'll have some wine for you.
 
My dad is doing much better, the glucose is not entirely stabilized but us better, they should be moving him to a regular room sometime today. I slept really well most of the night, did wake up at 1:40, because the knee was hurting, iced for one hour, then slept til 7:00, my knee was swollen, achie and I was very dizzy. There is a tremendous amount of walking from the front of the hospital to the ICU and I really didn't think I would make it, so I stayed home, iced and elevated all day, the rest of my posse went to the hospital, I feel very guilty but I really think it would have been bad had I gone this morning.

On a different note, I contacted my OS about staying out of work longer, he said he would sign whatever I needed so that I could stay home as long as it was necessary. I called my employer, the disability insurance we carry does not kick in for 6 months after the first day I'm out, he did offer to hive me one extra week with pay even though I'm out of vacation time, and he will be flexible with my schedule once I return to work. So I guess I'm going back yo work on August 1st, I had huge out of pocket expenses with surgery, so I need my check...is there a quick recovery dance I can do??? Haha, oh well I'm sure it will work out.
 
@uva55 aweee ya hospitals are huge places to move around. You know, if you enter the lobby, and go to guest services, they will be glad to accommodate you with a wheelchair, and even push it for you. I did this the other week when my husband was in the hospital. There was no way I could walk that distance.
 
:goodpost: Yep, I was going to suggest the same thing. My mother used a wheelchair every time she visited me. Most hospitals are huge and require a lot of walking.

Is there some way to be able to prop your leg up while at work? Maybe under your desk or to the side?
 
Is there short term disability through the state? I was able to get New York State disability for short term when I broke my ankle some years ago when I lived there. It's not a whole lot but is something.
 
I'm sure it will work out, he said he would work with me, I work a 4 day work week, normally off on Friday, I may work Monday, Tuesday off Wednesday then work Thursday Friday, or may work 1/2 days, I'm sure it'll work out.
Right now I'm happy I have another week.

I just want to get my dad back on his feet and take him home.
 
It has worked best for me to not work more than two days in a row. The day of rest really makes a difference. I didn't go back for twelve weeks but I immediately had to work 10 or 11 hour days n my feet.

I hope your dad is feeling well soon. :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom