TKR Clara welcomes her new knee!!!

@uva55 you are doing so great. I'd like to know where I can buy a big old bottle of "positive attitude" that's been a big stumbling block for me.

As for pain meds, ya hydrocodone does little for me for real pain, while oxycodone does the trick. I know I'll get flack about my next statement, but I stockpile the oxy whenever I can, so if I need it, and instead of making it an issue with a reluctant dr, I just use what I need. When my husband was discharged the other day, one if the rx was for 30 5/325 oxy.s , he said he didnt need it, I said good, fill it any way, so we did ;-) , again not suggesting anyone do this, but this is what works for me. I've never abused pain med, and don't have an addictive personality , but when I have pain, I know what works for me.

Have a less pain day
 
@dianehelen my pain management doctor for my back prescribes Oxy for me, and I only take as needed and sometimes it is only once or twice a week, I also feel that if your system gets used to a drug then it's not as effective and I don't want to have to take anything stronger. In the long run any drug that is taken for long periods of time can have serious side effects, I don't need that either.
 
Yes very true. That's why, what helps me most, my 800mg ibu + 100mg tramadol, I try to only take on my swim days when I need it most. Oh, btw I did get the Tylenol Arthritis, and eh, it's ok, but even with the tramadol added, it's about 70% Of the effectiveness of the ibu + tramodol. But it's a good alternate, like I use the tylenol pm as an alternate to the advil pm. It's such a fun matrix of drugs ha!
 
Provided that has been 4-5 hours since the last dose of whatever, you can then take either.

Playing 'catch-up' with pain is no joke and at 2½ weeks, you are still in the middle of the 'angry tissue' stage and need to be very diligent with taking your meds. Read this again Pain management: importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart

I only take as needed and sometimes it is only once or twice a week, I also feel that if your system gets used to a drug then it's not as effective
A very common fallacy. There is no evidence for this except when 'long term' is a matter of years.
 
Clara, I finally have some energy and found your thread. Maybe 'cause I slept last night after my benedryl! Haha. Anyway, it looks like you're only one week ahead of me. You sound like you're doing well, really well.
 
@TML I'm doing pretty good but I must have been delusional, I never thought this surgery would carry such a punch, I had a total hysterectomy in 2000 and I had pain and energy drain, but wow nothing like this. Oh well, still a small price to pay for a pain free life :good-bad:

Tomorrow we're are going out to breakfast, I'm looking forward to getting out of my dungeon for a little while :dancy::spin:
 
Enjoy your breakfast out tomorrow. It's wonderful to get out of the house after all this time!
 
I took 2 benadryls last and slept a little better.

Hubby took me to breakfast, I didn't eat much but it was so nice to get dressed, when I opened my makeup case it said "hi there, where have you been all this time?" LOL, it felt great to get out of the house.

Have a great Sunday everyone:hi:
 
Yes, just getting dress and putting on make-up can lift your spirits. It's wonderful to eat breakfast out. That is one of my favorite things. Enjoy your day.
 
I had to sit down to put on my makeup this morning, but it felt so good to do it! And boy did I need it after a month of just my old, ugly face! It's amazing how just a little paint can make us feel so much better.
 
Hey Clara, @uva55 here is a lil poop fairy of your very own! Hope she does well for you :)

[Bonesmart.org] Clara welcomes her new knee!!!
 
In spite the lack of sleep last night, only 3 hours, I had a pretty good day, went grocery shopping with hubby, rode the electric cart at Publix, then visited a friend for a few minutes, came home, elevated and iced and so far so good, my knee doesn't feel any worse than usual. At night it always feels tired and achy. I didn't even take a nap today.

I hope I can get some rest tonight, starting out patient PT tomorrow morning :rolleyes:

Good night everyone :sleep:
 
Wow! impressive and not even three weeks out. Fantastic.

Good luck with PT. Remember who is the boss, YOU! :)
 
I'm glad you enjoyed your outing, @uva55
Beware of overdoing things, though. Once in a while is OK, but you should still be spending most of your time resting, icing and elevating.
 
It sounds like you had an almost normal day. Isn't that fun and uplifting! Looking back on that first week, I didn't think I'd ever be close to having a normal day. Now, it's in sight!

How are you today? How did you sleep last night?
 
@sistersinhim I only slept 5 hours, I wasn't feeling bad, just couldn't sleep. It does feel great to be able to do normal things, I iced and elevated yesterday so my knee behaved :)

Today I went to PT, I am familiar with her from when I had PT for my back, she was great, not pushy, didn't touch my knee at all, showed me how to massage my scar and other excercises I can do at home on the days I don't have PT.

I measured 95 flex and +4 extension. I'm tired but not in pain :happydance:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom