TKR Clara welcomes her new knee!!!

Just want to give update on recovery...I switched from walker to cane today, I could have done it sooner but I was feeling light headed at times and felt that the walker gave me a little more support. The dizziness seems better.

I switched to the hydrocodone 5/325 yesterday, I can take it every 4 hrs, taking it every 6. I really don't have pain, more like annoying discomfort, still swollen in the calf/knee/thigh area, the foot /ankle is back to normal. Evergy level from 1-10 at -15 :) , still no appetite (which it's OK by me)

I hope the rest of you kids on this Mary Go Round are having a marvelous, pain free day!!!
 
Thats a really great update Clara, I'm so glad you are in less pain.
Have a good day and restful night.
Tabby xxx
 
Yay Clara using your cane now!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thats great. You will be dancing the mambo by the time I start recovering :yay::yay:

Keep up the awesome recovery!
 
I wanna dance, too. That's one of the big things I've missed!
 
All right! Sounds like fun! I'm ready for fun!
 
For me the cane was much easier than the walker. I spent 14 days in a transition care unit and we were required to use a walker. My house just wasn't conducive to the walker so I switched as soon as I got home.

I'm sorry to say the energy drain takes a LONG time to recover from. I was still feeling it at 5 months.
 
Great Update Clara!! We'll find us a Jazzercise class at our TKR Meet-Up,..
I am TOO old for Zumba!

:heehee::rotfl::heehee::rotfl::heehee::rotfl::heehee::rotfl::heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We're only as old as our knees make us feel!
 
Last night was exhausting I went to bed, tried to sleep on my side, I slept for 2 hours woke up to a very unhappy knee, iced it, slept 2 more hours on my back then ended up on the recliner for the rest of the night I was able to take a nice nap today.

Pain still under control, taking less pain meds, eating a little more, able to do my heel slides much easier and flex a little further.

My daughter is bringing dinner tonight, which gives my hubby a well deserved break.
 
I'm sorry you're still having problems sleeping. But, at least you you're on the mend and taking fewer pain meds and increasing your food intake. Heel slides are improving your flex! Enjoy your dinner. My roommate brought home some Popeye's! My favorite, and I ate it all! I pray we all sleep better tonight and wake up feeling better!
 
Hope you sleep well tonight Clara! My son is in college after serving 8yrs in the Marine Corps. He's about 2hrs from me. 3 of his Marine friends drove up from Alabama today to see him in NC. He has bragged on my spaghetti sauce so much- I just had to go over and cook up a huge pot of sauce for them for the weekend. He never asked. Of course Wes helped but what's interesting is I feel exerted by all of the excitement- but my knee feels fine! I was actually expecting to be suffering tonight! Wes did help me allot so the actual cooking wasn't no big deal. But how FUN to be able to go do a 'mom' thing like this again!! He was so proud because the last time he saw me, 3wks ago b/c of his summer classes, I was in a nightgown and he was bringing me ice packs every hour-! He loved seeing me up in the kitchen again even though he made me recline allot. ALL OF THAT TO SAY- our new knees are giving our lives back. If we need to take it easy for a few months- it's SO worth it to be able to go without that horrible arthritis squeezing the very life out of us every time we take a step! I'm SO happy I have my TKR-!!

Sorry.. ramble over.. haha!! Sleep sweet tonight my friend Clara! I think I will-!!

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
 
@Suz you are so right, I also love doing things for my kids and grandkids, specially cooking their favorite dishes, I can't wait to be were you are now. I know that patience is the name of the game.

This morning my husband tells me that he is so proud of me because I've had such a positive attitude towards this recovery even though it has been challenging, I've been sleeping poorly, stuck in the house, in pain, and I have not complained once, instead I've been upbeat, done my excercises and he knows it can't be easy.. I told him it was the good drugs, haha

The way I look at it, complaining and being ugly to the person that has been there for me come rain or shine would not be very nice and it's not going to make me feel any better.

Last night I went to sleep around midnight, my alarm didn't go off at 2a.m. for my pain pill and I woke up in pain at 4 a.m. I took my meds and iced but it still took me 2 hours to fall asleep again, I didn't use my brain, I still have a few oxycodont-acetaminophen left and I should have taken those instead. I feel better now, I have a little of the nerve pain today.

When my daughter and her family visited last night we sad by the dinner table for a long while and maybe that's why I knee was bothering me more last night.

Suz I love to hear how well you are doing and that you are able to do more of your regular routines without paying the consequences :)
 
It's a shame that missing a pill deadline puts up into pain for an hour or so. So far, I'd been waking up anyway so I haven't needed to alarm. I tried 2 different programs on my phone, but neither one of them remembered more than one day what I had set up so I just deleted them. I bet holding your knee down for an extended amount of time caused your knee to rebel and get back at you in the middle of the night!

I agree that a positive attitude helps so much in this journey. It's hard to keep, but if I think back to where I was a couple of weeks ago, then I feel better about things.
 
@Josephine at my 2 week follow up visit my doctor took me off the oxycodone-acetaminophen 5/325 mg and put me on hydrocodone -acetaminophen 5/325, 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours, I have been doing fine with one every 5-6 hours, last night my 2 a.m. alarm didn't not go off and I missed that dose of pain meds, at 4 a.m. I woke up in pain, I took 2 pills, elevated and iced, but it still took close to 2 hours for the pain to subside, I still have a few oxycodone-acetaminophen left, could I have taken that instead, I feel like the oxy worked better and faster for the strong pain.

I'm not sure if I can take both meds, thanks for your help!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom