Guest viewing is limited

THR Clairebella’s recovery journey

Does it mean there is actually currently a slight physical lengthening due to swelling which resolves?
This is how I understood it..

When all that inflamed soft tissue subsides, things seem to settle out.
 
Phew! Thanks. Was really freaking out in case it was all in my head.
 
@Clairebella We all suffered having to listen to the tales of friends and relatives who were back to marathon running just weeks after THR. All rubbish! Healing takes time and tons of patience. And as you have already discovered, over doing dose take its toll. Too much activity always had an impact on sleeping during my recoveries.

Nearly every new hippie feels a leg length difference. In most cases the feeling just fades with time. Give it a good 3-4 months.
 
Claire Bella you summed it up perfectly! It’s as if my leg changes throughout the day just as you stated.
 
Well I had physiotherapy today. She measured me and both legs are the same length. She said when I’m walking I have a tendency to still lean and put more weight on my left side. That will resolve in time she said but she gave me a really gentle standing rocking side to side exercise that will also help with weight bearing equally.

She said she has her younger hips on crutches for longer, 5-6 weeks as we have higher muscle mass or something like that. She said to rest and only gentle bed and some standing exercises. Main thing is to allow healing which is shouted out lots on this forum and advice I shall take!

She also said the log leg feeling, or feeling your leg doesn’t belong to you comes about due to the new biomechanics of the hip. You don’t have any proprioception initially in a new hip and have to develop new brain pathways/messages to set them that again which can take weeks.
 
when I’m walking I have a tendency to still lean and put more weight on my left side.

This is fairly common as our bodies adjust to our new alignment. You might want to try heel-toe walking to correct it.

This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. If you slow down your pace and concentrate through the entire step, you'll notice a difference.

Give it a try!

Here is a visual
1639236580030.jpeg
 
It is great to read that you’re going to work carefully around your leg healing.
the log leg feeling, or feeling your leg doesn’t belong to you
Log Leg - your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissue have been so traumatized that there's no reaction.

The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

You may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter, a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. It is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days, to weeks, of recovery.

Have a great rest of the week, Clairebella!
 
Hi Clairebella!

Everything you are describing is normal recovery. Ignore all the hype about people climbing mountains.

On my first op my leg took quite some time before I could get it into bed without the strap and I was on codeine for months. An over enthusiastic physio plus an accident at the hospital set me back months!

This time around I knew what to expect. The second hip recovery going much better but I am still using crutches for the time being as want to concentrate on keeping my back as straight as possible and engage core before walking. I am taking my time as want to walk completely normally, balanced and without a limp or a waddle..

Work want me back after only Six weeks and my battle is now to do with that as I know it will set me back! They forced me back too early last time too. Don’t let them do it to you!

You are doing fine. This is a great place to be and you will get a lot of help here xx
 
ClaireBella- I had my first post op visit yesterday. My doctor pointed out in the X-ray how everything was equal. He assured me my log leg and disproportionate feelings were related to my healing and would get better over time. I was rather hoping for a magical wand that would fix it instantly- alas no wand. I so appreciate seeing everyone’s posts as the are very reassuring when I have questions about things.
 
Aw thank you so much guys, for all your replies, and now I’m crying again

I will keep on with regular dihydeocodine just now even though it grinds my digestive system to a halt.

My op leg feels tight, a pressure almost within the entire thigh and the joint. It’s swollen. I have my long scar which has dissolvable stitches in it - it feels tight and sharp pain. I have the robotic probe would too which has steri strips on it - that feels right and itchy. My entire thigh when most sore feels tender and bruised, like I’ve been kicked in the leg by a horse.

Might seem a daft question - when you Ice where do you put your ice pack? I’m worried about putting anything on the scar.
Hi Clairebella - just to pick up on the digestive side-effects of dihyrocodeine: I have struggled with constipation all my life, so I know where you're coming from. Have you ever taken Movicol? It's available over the counter and is gentle & effective. I've also been snacking on dried fruit & drinking lots of water, which helps keep things moving. Good luck! I'm a couple of days behind you - had my right THR on Friday. Trying to take it one day at a time. We'll get there... xx
 
Hi @CherryRed yes thanks! I am well accustomed with movicol! I am taking 2 a day but it’s still a battle with the codiene. I am also taking senna at night. Drinking plenty I think.

@Hippie Chick how long ago was your op? I am 2 weeks today and I actually think the log leg feeling is slightly better. Still swollen around would site and knee.

@SurreyGirl and @benne68 thanks! I am also now from today really focusing on my walk with crutches, I’ve managed to adopt the heel to toe walk quite well and trying to keep back straight. It does make a massive difference to not limping.

@Layla yes I have compression socks to wear to the knee for 4-6 weeks. So swelling seems to accumulate around my knee.
 
I am week 2 tomorrow. Thursday is one of doctor’s surgery days thus appointment was a little early. I had posterior approach and still have log leg feeling. My dear sister lives in the country so there were lots of curves and bounces on the drive. My leg feels funny walking, sitting becomes uncomfortable after a bit, never sure how leg/knee will feel sitting in a chair, physically moving the leg to get in her Jeep, etc. Leg lifter is great when I need it. Not trying to whine just not back to normal. When doctor tested hip- there were no problems. I just need to recover from the surgery thankfully.
 
She said she has her younger hips on crutches for longer, 5-6 weeks
HI @Clairebella, I am 3 months out and still use my crutch for longer walks. I find that I have great stamina with my crutch and can go for miles but without it my gait is uneven and the effort it takes to engage my core for long periods of time is exhausting. However, I swam for the first time this week and am back riding my bike. I have my review with my consultant tomorrow so am going to ask him about my gait and whether it is better to walk upright and evenly using a crutch or to stop using it in the hopes that my gait evens up. Will report back :)
 
My physio told me to stand up straight, engage core, slightly clench buttocks and then walk heel to toe with small steps and then gradually increase stride.

Not to just pick up the crutches and walk without a pause to think. She said eventually this will come naturally, as getting out of a chair now does for me but regarding the first few seconds prior to walking as “priming the engine” would help. And it does…
 
@Lumpyloo2 can I ask how old you are?! I am worried about myself as I feel I have been quite sedentary for a few years now. It’s rare that I would have done 10000 steps without limping half way through and being in extreme pain beforehand. I had a hip arthroscopy March 22 and was essentially still recovering from that ( largely due to it not being successful and left without my labrum hip washer which had to be debrided’) so I worry how long I will be on crutches. Or that I’m told do without and struggle. My core is non existent! So yes please report back!
@SurreyGirl I've always found it impossible to even know how to engage my core!
 
@Clairebella I am 52. I had right hip arthroscopy when I was 38 involving labral debridement and osteoplasty to the head and neck junction. There was also substantial articular cartilage damage to the femur and acetabulum. The mechanics in my right leg were further impacted by a tibial plateau fracture in 2012. Like yourself, the arthroscopy was largely unsuccessful and 14 years later I had my THR. Looking back on it now, it seems a bit bonkers that I waited that long for the THR but it seemed right at the time.

My physio told me to stand up straight, engage core, slightly clench buttocks and then walk heel to toe with small steps and then gradually increase stride.
@SurreyGirl I consciously try to do the standing straight, engaging core bit but had not thought about taking smaller steps. What I have found is that if I take quicker steps, the momentum helps me walk a little more evenly. Mindful walking x
 
:hi: These are still very early days in healing phases, so just try to relax and take it all one day at a time.
How it is now is not how it will be.
It certainly does take time not only to recover from this surgery, but to recover slowly from all the bad gait, posture, and weaknesses we couldn't help by having bad hips!

I've always found it impossible to even know how to engage my core
This is something good you can work on while you are healing... I had a very weak core too and thought the only way to strengthen it was to do sit ups or crunches (impossible for me with bad hips or early recovery days.
I began taking little cruises using the back of the sofa to hold on to...or countertops. This is when I actually figured out my new hips were actually strong, it was actually all the other leg muscles that were traumatized giving me trouble. Time is the best healer.

Try working on your core by standing holding on to a sofa or counter. Try standing straight as possible and put shoulders back!

Breathing is the best core exercise and easy "exercise" for new hippies.

Here's a great description I found:
To engage your core, imagine that you are bracing yourself for a sucker-punch right to the stomach. You’re not going to suck in your stomach. You’re going to take a deep breath and tighten all of your abdominal muscles. It may be helpful to picture “zipping up” your abs—bringing your navel up and toward your spine.
You should be able to continue to breathe when you engage your core: First, fill your belly, and then inhale and exhale, only allowing your rib cage to move. Your belly should remain tight and full after the initial breath. After that point, you should be able to see your ribs move in and out when you breathe.
 
@Clairebella @SurreyGirl so I am back from my first and only post-op review with the following info re crutches. Surgeon seemed happy that I take my crutch with me on longer walks as it helps me 'level-up' my walking. However, he said I should concentrate on walking slower and with greater awareness of my body position when walking without a crutch, he even suggested practicing walking toward a mirror. He echoed your advice @SurreyGirl regarding standing up straight and engaging your core before setting off, so I will concentrate on this. I asked about a physio referral but he said it wasn't required. Wondering if having no physio input at all is common?
 
Back
Top Bottom