TKR chubby but still changing my life through TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured it out. My medication Vicodin is not a class II, just a class III so you can write the rx for refills X2 or whatever and just keep getting it without a written RX. But if it's oxycodone that is class II and you must have a new RX on a triplicate form such as kids with Ritalin compared with Vyvanse and only 30 days worth will be dispensed. Even when the Class III refill is up, the pharmacy just contacts the doctors office and they do it between them. The patient does not have to go in the dr's office to pick up the RX. Different when it's triplicate. I can't believe I had forgotten that! I have never had a medication that was on a triplicate.
 
Yes Sonja you are right. And that was the same thing with my doctor when there were troubles, they have no idea. These doctors often have no idea what is going out when they are out of earshot! I am so glad Sophie reported this. I am amazed with all that has changed in medicine in the last few years that unlicensed office personnel are still involving themselves in prescribing. By their giving advice to the patient to suck it up and take the pain they are practicing medicine without a license. How many times have we seen this on "our" website that office staff or medical assistants are doing this. Even if it is a licensed LVN or RN, they are practicing medicine without a license unless the doctor has given them instructions to cut off the medication. And even with that, it should be the physician who tells the patient and he would be advising the patient how to wean off, not just stop dispensing the narcotic! It makes me so mad. Sophie is just 4 weeks out and she needs pain med. My goofy home PT person told me that when the physician does not provide adequate pain relief post op that it violates a "Title" something. I don't know why physicians are more mindful of what is going on in their offices!
Sophie I hope you are having a nice Mother's Day without too much pain. What are doing for dinner since hubby isn't doing well? I hope you have some good delivery restaurants to choose from. Pizza and salad sounds pretty good too!
 
Brownie51 - yes, you got it right about the refills on my pain meds. I am taking Oxycodone and the only way I can get a refill is to call the office and get a written prescription to take to the pharmacy. They will only prescribe 40 pills at a time. Hopefully I have this situation worked out now. Guess we' ll see if I have to call again for a refill.

Also, in response to your question, I do have a pool at home and feel quite blessed to be able to get in it now when I can. Getting in and out is not pretty - but form isn't graded right now!!

Thank all of you for your support and concern over my problem. You gave me strength and confidence to deal with it. Hope your Mother's Day was wonderful and all those knees behaved!
 
Brownie51 - yes, you got it right about the refills on my pain meds. I am taking Oxycodone and the only way I can get a refill is to call the office and get a written prescription to take to the pharmacy.
I think that's why after I had my surgery they gave me a written prescription for Oxycodone and Norco both and said to get both filled so I'd have the Norco when the Oxycodone ran out after a short period. I could get a refill on the Norco I think without calling back. :scratch:
 
Wanted to ask a question. I had been on Oxycodone 7.5/325 for the first 3 1/2 weeks post op. most of the time it managed pain well and often alleviated it totally. My doctor has now reduced me to Oxycodone 5/325. It is "ok" but I am pretty much in constant discomfort - not excruciating pain, just discomfort that inhibits my desire to get up and do much walking around. My question is this - is my current level of discomfort to be expected? Should I just tough this out or speak to my OS? I have an appointment with him next week. As always, thanks for your help.
 
Sophie,

If your pain is not controlled to the point that you can get around and move, you need to contact your OS! You haven't been on pain meds very long! Let him know ASAP. You will do a lot better. :)
 
Hi everyone,
Haven't checked in for a while so I wanted to let folks know how I am doing. I am now 5 1/2 weeks post op. Doc has reduced my meds to one 5/325 mg Percocet every 6 hrs. I am doing OK with this. Pretty much have a constant ache but not bad pain. Guess that is to be expected. Finished in home PT on Wednesday and go to the doc on this coming Wednesday for my 6 week check. I have a feeling he might recommend out patient PT. I am mixed over this. Myin home PT said I have done great - ROM at 105 and extension at 0. He has been wonderful. I would hate to go to out patient and get someone with a different philosophy than our tried and true BS mantra. Also, I want to start back to work part time within 2 weeks and I think that working and out patient PT will be a lot. I have starting going into my pool ( at home and heated) almost every day for 20 minutes or so. Doing pool walking, some leg kicks and bicycleing. Feels good. I think I would be fine to continue my own PT with the pool and the exercises I have been doing in home. I don't want to jeopardize my recovery but I also am trying to be conscious of my physical limitations if I go back to work. I want to have some " down days" during the week when I don't have to go to work and deal with outside PT. I know many on here have been very successful with doing their own PT. I think I will push for that now with my doc.
Haven't tried driving yet but I am very anxious to do that. Don't feel quite ready if I had to make a quick start ( had a right TKR) . May wait a week or more to try that. Hubby is able to dive me back and forth from work so no rush on the driving ( other than I am desparate for my independence again!)
Have been transitioning to a cane from the walker and really can hobble around the house unassisted now. Just have some " confidence" issues with my new knee. I was so used to this knee giving out on me pre surgery and now I have to learn to trust it.
Still having a few bouts of the blues every few days. Don't seem to be lasting quite as long or as intense. Sleep....well it's 2:02 AM right now so I guess that's self explanatory! Actually I do wake up every 2 to 3 hours but I will go back to sleep soon. Usually just read these boards and feel better and then drift off again.
Guess that's about where I am right now. I do know one thing.....I would not be doing nearly as well had I not stumbled upon this site right after I got home from my surgery. Wish I had found it prior...but oh well. At least I found it when I did.
Take care everyone and keep keepin' on!
 
My own opinion is that you've answered your own question on further PT - you don't need it. Pool work and simple stretches and general day-to-day living should do.
 
[Bonesmart.org] chubby but still changing my life through TKR
and, Sophie, the decision is really yours not your doc's. If he insist on writing you a script for out patient PT, fine. You just don't have to fill it.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] chubby but still changing my life through TKR
 
If you feel you can do PT on your own go for it especially with returning to work. I did some OP PT but returned to work for a few weeks only MWF and did PT on the other days so I would not be even more tired than I was just from the work return.

As far as trusting your knee, it does take a little time. I kept limping just out of habit and my home PT kept telling me to concentrate as I was walking --so I kept saying heel toe for weeks as I was walking to make sure I regained my gait. For me, I kept reminding myself of my x-rays with the nice strong metal in there that I could trust since it was not my collapsed bone on bone knee to get over some of the trust factor -again habit since it was not behaving before surgery. It does come, so give yourself time for the body and brain to learn the new strong knee you have.
 
Thanks for your comments my friends. It's funny how quickly we feel close to each other as we pursue this recovery together.
leejaa. I wanted to ask you how soon you went back to work following surgery. Also, what kind of work do you do? I am planning to return Mon., Wed., and Fri. From about 10 to 2 for the first 2 weeks. I am the Executive Director of a non-profit agency so it is busy but pretty much a desk job. Just curious to know how your work return went for you. Did you find out patient PT beneficial? Sorry for all the questions - I just so appreciate having this wealth of knowledge available from such wonderful people who so willingly share.
 
No problem for the questions. I have learned so much here. I returned to work at 7 weeks working MWF for the next 4 weeks and did OP PT for those 4 wks. I administer a computer system (software) so basically a desk job with the ability to ice as I needed and able to get up as I needed. I was very tired at the end of an eight hour shift but strength came back slowly but it did come back. OP PT was most helpful for some exercises that worked on my balance and strength and some massage and electrical stim for my quad. I had fairly good motion when I started 115 flexion and full extension. I gained another 5 degrees of flexion but with the other exercises which were very gentle I gained more balance and improved my gait. I might have been able to do on my own but since this was my first major surgery and not knowing what to expect I figured I tried it as long as they did not go against the bone smart mantra and they did not. The other think with my return to work is that I did not have to drive myself - my husband works in the same direction so he usually drives and drops me off anyways so I could relax after work and not drive at all. Is your work a long distance from home - if so than you want to add the time in the car to your day.

Good luck on your return to work.
 
sophie,

I have had PT for all 4 knee surgeries. Could I have done the stuff at home? Some of it, but in therapy I also walk on an anti-gravity treadmill, use the elliptical, and use the recumbent bike. My recovery would not have been successful because of the different ways they have used machines to get muscles to respond.

I know, there are people that never go to PT, do the gentle exercises and just recover. I am so excited when I read their stories because it means that they did not have any complications! :)

When I first started my journey I was 435 pounds and my PT Katie motivated so I started asking about websites for healthy eating. This in turn, motivated me to exercise. PT gets your body ready to do the things you want to do again, whether it is outpatient PT, do it yourself PT or UK style PT. I chose outpatient because I needed to be motivated! I wouldn't do it on my own!
 
Thanks for your advice- as always. Well, some good news - I drove my car for the first time in almost 6 weeks today!! I never thought a trip to WalMart would be so exciting. Of course my husband was with me .. Just in case .... But all went well. It felt so good to be taking small steps back to independence. I did have to ride a cart in WalMart to shop but that's ok. Small steps.....
RestAssured I appreciate your thoughts on PT. I will talk to my O S at my appointment on Wednesday and give out patient serious thought...maybe give it a shot..
 
leejaa Thanks for the info on your return to work. Sounds similar to how I plan my phased return. My husband will also be able to drive me so that is a plus. However, I did drive by myself today for the first time. I am thinking though that I might not feel like driving after working the day. I m lucky that I live close to my work- only about a 15 minute drive. Starting to get excited about returning. Hope that feeling lasts!!
 
:egypdance:Yay for the driving! It's liberating isn't it?
 
leejaa Thanks for the info on your return to work. Sounds similar to how I plan my phased return. My husband will also be able to drive me so that is a plus. However, I did drive by myself today for the first time. I am thinking though that I might not feel like driving after working the day. I m lucky that I live close to my work- only about a 15 minute drive. Starting to get excited about returning. Hope that feeling lasts!!
Just don't overdo it! Energy drain happens so fast when returning to work, starting back on your Master's, etc. takes a lot of energy! :happydance:
 
It is such a balancing act- returning to work does give you a lift as a next step but it is tiring. Just be aware of how you feel and do what you can. I started driving to my OP PT (only 12 miles) and that felt so good. At first it was go there and come come and then I started feeling like I could do other things at same time. It was most exciting to have lunch with a friend after PT and being able to drive myself. Little steps are such large victories during different times of the the recovery. I cannot stop being excited about the fact that I rode my bike yesterday for 4.9 miles (basically a pretty flat terrain) and was not dead tired at the end. You will get there slow and sure.
 
Tonight seems to be a very reflective and introspective time for me. I came to the realization today that this recovery ...with all the ups and downs, with all the pain and frustration.... Has really been a gift to me. I have never in my life of 61 years been in a situation that I HAD to put my needs first. I have HAD to learn to let others help me. I have Had to learn that I could be vulnerable and people would be there for me ( including my new Bonesmart friends!) I really believe that this recovery has changed my life... Not just my knee. Thank for giving me a place to put these feelings into words.
 
It is amazing when you realize that you are not alone! You have access to lots of BoneSmarties who know exactly what you are going through, and will continue to support you every step of the way. Family loves you but doesn't understand, Our Bonesmaet family cares about you and understands completely! :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom