TKR chubby but still changing my life through TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josephine
I truly understand what you are saying about going back to work too soon. My thought is that if I feel I am able to go in for a few hours a week, it will be good for my mental health also. I am the Executive Director of the agency where I work and truly can set my own hours for my return. If I planned to go for 3 hours and felt bad after one hour, I could just leave. My husband is available to drive me back and forth. I certainly don't want to jeopardize my recovery in any way because I feel I am doing well. I will certainly take your advice seriously and monitor how I am doing. I thank you so much for caring.

Morgaine, you have had such an incredibly difficult journey. I truly admire your dedication and will to recover. And you will! Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.
 
Hi, I think I read on here that one of the Administrators could change the name of my recovery thread. If so, could we change it to " chubby but still changing my life through TKR" also, I would like to include my surgery date (4/9/13) but not sure how to do it.

I can't find words to express how much this forum has already done for me. Hope I am able to give back to others too. Just knowing we are not alone on this journey - and that people care-is just so incredibly amazing and comforting.
Thanks.
 
Morgaine-one of the administrators will come along and help you set up your own thread. Or you can just start one and name it yourself. Once you have 2 good knees you will be able to do more! I hope he says yes!
Sophie you're doing it already!
 
[Bonesmart.org] chubby but still changing my life through TKR
sophie03, I see another mod or admin has changed your thread title for you. We're happy to have you on the forum with us. Just don't want you to overdo and wish you hadn't. So take care with time you put in at work and follow the mantra----it works.


FYI: For instructions on how to use the forum, hover your mouse or click on "Office" on the white bar at the top of the page. On the drop down menu, click on "How to Use This Xenforo Forum". You will find articles about the many things that are available to you when navigating the forum. Using this resource will enhance your enjoyment of the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] chubby but still changing my life through TKR
 
My thought is that if I feel I am able to go in for a few hours a week, it will be good for my mental health also. If I planned to go for 3 hours and felt bad after one hour, I could just leave. My husband is available to drive me back and forth.
My point it that I have never yet met a TKR patient who even felt like going out into the garden at two weeks much less anything more. The kindest thing you can do for your knee and yourself is spend the first three weeks resting and allowing your body to heal. Going to work that soon does not allow your body to heal. You might feel you are doing well sitting at home but I can promise you that once at work you will realise the truth of it.
I will certainly take your advice seriously and monitor how I am doing. I thank you so much for caring.
Well that's good and please be assured, I might come across as bossy and opinionated but it really is because I care passionately about every person that comes to this forum. You're all like my patients! :wink:

btw, I have changed the title of your thread and your surgery date is in your signature.
 
Sophie03,

I think you changed your thread title and I really wish you the best on the changing your life part. It is a long recovery, but I hope you will be able to do all kinds of things you have not been able to for a long time. As for the "chubby" part of the title that is not so important as long as the TKR is successful in allowing you to be more active. Sounds like your husband is awesome and you are now empty nesters. Once you can walk long for exercise and do other things outside...great opportunity for time together.

As far as returning to work, I can't argue with the notion longer time off is better, but it is not always possible. I went back one day shy of 4 weeks after TKR #1. I too was able to "crash" once I got home...which I did the first couple of weeks, and this made things a lot easier. Shorter hours help which I was able to do. Best wishes.
 
Again, I am in awe of the wonderful people here on this site that have such wisdom they are willing to share thanks so much everyone - you are making this recovery a "shared" journey and that helps so much.

One question I have that you all might be able to help me with. I had a kidney removed 5 years ago due to cancer. I am cancer free now and very grateful however, because of only having the one kidney, I have been told by my docs that I can't take things like Advil, Aleve, Motrin, etc. I only take Tylenol on occasion for headache. I see that many folks move to Advil, Aleve, Motin when they get off the heavier pain meds. I am taking 1 7.5 Percocet every 4 hours right now. Most of the time that handles the pain OK. I am so afraid that the doc will not renew this prescription and I will have to just deal with the pain. I am 3 weeks post op today and maybe I should be getting off the pain meds and just try to deal with it. I just don't know. Any insight will be appreciated.
Thanks.
 
[Bonesmart.org] chubby but still changing my life through TKR
Sophie, my OS allowed me to stay on Percocet for three months. Hopefully your OS will too. Just remind him that you cannot take NSAIDS. If he won't help you out, talk with your GP. After 3 months pain levels should be fairly tolerable without any meds.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] chubby but still changing my life through TKR
 
Check back with your kidney folks/primary care person on OK pain relievers for you. New stuff comes along ... changes occur in warnings/removal of warnings. Even if your OS renews the Percocet, it can't hurt to check in with him/her/them re medications. If you'd prefer not to, pharmacists often are really helpful.
In other words, go to the pros on this one -- don't want to mess with that healthy kidney.
 
I am 3 weeks post op today and maybe I should be getting off the pain meds and just try to deal with it. I just don't know. Any insight will be appreciated.
Please don't. You will not become addicted, and you will just forget to take them when you don't need them (btw not sure how your kidney situation affects that, so take my words for what they're worth, perhaps nothing...)
I am the Executive Director of the agency where I work and truly can set my own hours for my return. If I planned to go for 3 hours and felt bad after one hour, I could just leave. My husband is available to drive me back and forth.
One is affected mentally as well as physically by TKR, the body takes resources from wherever it can, including the brain! So at the risk of lecturing someone more senior than I ever was I'll suggest a schedule of just one hour, to do only things that are crucially important. Ordinarily important and/or urgent things should go hang/be delegated.

How far is it from the chauffeured limo :) to your desk? Do you want to walk that far?
 
A great place to have that discussion, Sophie, and get a good answer would be at your PCP's office. That's the doctor who attends to all of your health and will work with you appropriately in light of your kidney limitations.
 
Hi all, just wanted to check in with an update. I feel I am doing pretty well. Still having in home PT 3 times a week. This will continue through May. Most days I think i see some progress however yesterday and today have been more painful. I seem to have pain on the right side of my knee when I am walking - not when I am sitting or lying down. I am icing and elevating and hoping that helps. I just got a polar ice machine and that is really wonderful. Gives hubby a break on getting me ice packs so many times a day. PT had me try walking with a cane for a few steps today - have been using my walker. That really put a lot of stress on my knee. More than I thought it would. Could be the cause of the pain today. Hope you are all doing well in your recovery. I continue to appreciate this site so much.
 
I think you're doing just fine. If you want to suggest a step-down drug, you could try Tramadol. At about 3 weeks out of my March 8th TKR, my OS switched me to that and it has worked fine. You may need something to help with pain and discomfort for quite some time....many need it for several months.
 
I am hoping to call upon the wisdom and experience of other Bonesmarties. I have a question about my pain meds. I am currently taking Percocet 7.5 325mg. Had been perscrpbed to take 1 or 2 every 4 to 6 hours. I have found that if I take 2 every 6 hours I can be pretty much pain free - with icing also. If I take 1 every 4 hours my pain level stays at around a3-4...I am wondering if I should be sticking to taking only 1 every four hours and tolerate the pain - maybe that's normal. I know my latest perscription from the OS says to take 1 every 6-8 hours. So he must be wanting me to cut back. My TKR was April 9, 2013. Should I be cutting my meds back like he wants me too? I can't take any Aleve or Advil etc. because of only having one kidney. I know that even when my pain is consistent at a 3 or 4, my mood and motivation are both terrible. It's not excruciating pain, it is just pain that is consistent. Thanks in advance for your help. It is 1:00am now and I just got out of bed and came to my recliner to ice because of the pain.
 
Sophie you are doing well. I think you need to take the pain med and not try to get by on less than it takes to do the job. It's hard to do the exercises when you are in pain. I bet you can just tell your doctor what is going on. When do you see your ortho again?
 
Marianne,
Thanks for the advice. I see my OS again on May 22nd. In the meantime I have to call his office weekly to request refills on my meds because he only gives 40 pills at a time. I am so afraid that one day I will call and they will not renew. I really hate this dependence on pain meds right now but I really think I need them. I have had surgeries in the past where they have prescribed narcotics for pain and I still have them leftover because I did not need to take them. So, I know I am not someone who takes them unnecessarily. Guess I will have to hope for the best..
 
Please take enough to control the pain. That's what they're for. As you so rightly point out, you will not become addicted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom