TKR chubby but still changing my life through TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Midwest knees. Thanks for your response. You are at 4 weeks and seem to be doing really well. Hang in there. It does get better - just very lowly.

I just went back and reread my thread. It's amazing how much support I received when I so desperately needed it. I must have been in a drug haze because I didn't remember some of the posts from you folks.It brought me to tears ( not hard these days!) to see the love and concern from folks who have never met me. I think we all just care so much about each other because we UNDERSTAND what this process is all about and the feelings associated with it.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I just hope I can provide a small bit of the support to others that you have given to me.
 
Josephine. Just a quick question. I hAve been taking one 5/325 Percoset every 8 hours. I got a perscription for Tramadol from my OS. Is it ok to just stop the Percoset abruptly and begin taking the Tramodol or do I need to do it gradually? Thanks Josephine. You have been a tremendous help to me and I appreciate you so much..
 
The key question is, for how long have you been taking Percocet and on average, how much per day have you been taking?
 
Josephine. so sorry, of course you need to know that. I am 7 weeks post op. When I came home from the hospital I was on Percocet 7.5/325 for about the first 3 weeks. I would take one or two every 4 to six hours.Then I was switched to Percocet 5/325 for the past 4 weeks. I have been taking one every 8 hours for the past 2 weeks. Hope that' s what you needed.
thanks.
 
Thank you. In which case I would suggest that it is highly unlikely you would need to wean off them. Try it and see how it goes.
 
Josephine. Thanks so much for your advice. I am now on my second day of taking the Tramadol and doing pretty well. Don't seem to be having any withdrawal from the Percoset. Tramadol does seem to make me a bit sleepy but that's not a bad thing at night! Also, I am not experiencing the nausea and headaches that i think were caused by the Percoset. One thing though is that I am in a bit more pain than when I was taking the Percoset..... Not unbearable but definitely more. I am taking 50 mg every 6 hours. Is this the usual and maximum dose?
 
I'm going to butt in here. I take tramacet which is a combo of Tramadol 37.5 mg/acet 325 mg to manage my pain. my Dr. prescribed 2 every 4 to 6 hrs when needed. I am permitted to take 3 if i really need them so I don't think one is enough. However it does depend on anything else you are taking and I am not telling you to increase your dose without checking it out. maybe if you added some acet. it would help.:)
 
My way. Thanks for your response. I just took two Tylenol ... Hope that does the trick. How far post op are you? I am seven weeks and planning to return to work part time tomorrow. Really want to get these meds sorted out. Thanks again..
 
hi sophie03 I am still waiting for my Op. this med is to control the pain of my arthritis. If you have the nerve you can read my thread "OS said it's Time" in the pre op forum. You won't believe the circus I've been taking part in!
I do hope the addition of Tylenol helps.:)
 
I am taking 50 mg every 6 hours. Is this the usual and maximum dose?
As said previously, 50mg is a low dose. I mostly took 100mg but I also took 1,000mg of paracetamol (Tylenol) with it and 4hrly by the clock. Sometimes I also took 150mgs Tramadol if the need arose.

This was my pain med schedule for the duration of my recovery - I was in hospital for the whole of the first week which is why it isn't shown ...

[Bonesmart.org] chubby but still changing my life through TKR
 
Update; Today was my first day back to work. I will be 8 weeks post op tomorrow. Went well.... My wonderful staff had decorated my office and brought food to welcome me back! I am so blessed to work with such great people. I worked for about 5 hours today and then the fatigue hit so I went home...iced...elevated...and slept. I plan to go in for a few hours tomorrow morning and then not go back till Friday. I plan to try to work 3 half days a week for at least 2 weeks. Glad that first day is under my belt. Feel pretty good right now. The true test will be how tonight goes. We'll see. Hope everyone had a great Monday.
 
Fantastic. IT is tiring and at the same time exhilirating to pick up the pieces of the pre surgery life. As tiring as it is it does give a lift to see that you can come back. Take it slow and steady as you are planning and you will make it. At home it is important not to do too much when tired. I had warned my husband that I still needed major help at home when I returned as I would not be up to par when I came home after working and it helped immensely. Wonderful, great job to come when when tired. Keep us posted with your progress and feelings- they do vaccilate quite a bit even at this stage.
 
Hi folks,
I have suddenly developed pain in my groin. Hurts only when I get up from a seated position or when I sit down. Never had this before. Any ideas on what I can do and is this normal after TKR? I am 8 weeks post op, doing pretty good . Went back to work part time this week. I am using my cane almost all the time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
I do not know if it is normal, I get occasional twinges like that going down the stairs but then they go away.
 
Thanks leeja. Thankfully I am off work today so I have just been resting, icing, and elevating most of the day. Groin muscle is starting to feel better. This certainly is a process isn't it?
 
Seems to be, I was not doing much of anything yesterday and the front of my lower leg was aching and I could not put my other leg over it. Like so many others here have stated so I try to keep mellow about it--it will take time and different aches and twinges continue for a while as we heal. It is still all better than before surgery to such a degree that it is OK and as I stated previously I am going ahead with my other knee replacement on Sept.11 so that I can have two good legs and do more. We will get ther but as you say it is a process.
 
I need a little advice. I am 9 1/2weeks post LTKR. I have been back to work part time for a little over a week. Here's my problem - I have become so emotional these past few days. I am crying at the least little thing. This is unlike me. I even find myself crying in the car on my way to or from work. Has nothing to do with my job which I love. I expected this for the weeks immediately following surgery but not now. As far as recovery goes, I feel I am doing well. Most of the time I am walking unassisted - maybe with a very small limp. Still taking 1 Tramadol every 6 hours during the day.. None through the night. Not a lot of pain... Just achiness towards the end of the day. What's wrong with me. Even crying as I write this. Thanks for Being there and listening.
 
I need a little advice. I am 9 1/2weeks post LTKR. I have been back to work part time for a little over a week. Here's my problem - I have become so emotional these past few days. I am crying at the least little thing. This is unlike me. I even find myself crying in the car on my way to or from work. Has nothing to do with my job which I love. I expected this for the weeks immediately following surgery but not now. As far as recovery goes, I feel I am doing well. Most of the time I am walking unassisted - maybe with a very small limp. Still taking 1 Tramadol every 6 hours during the day.. None through the night. Not a lot of pain... Just achiness towards the end of the day. What's wrong with me. Even crying as I write this. Thanks for Being there and listening.

Hi Sophie,
I always cried a lot when I was depleted, not having enough sleep and/or hungry and not realizing it. Please take care of yourself and try to rest and sleep as much as possible. You're still in the early days and of course it's hard being back at work at 9.5 weeks! Nothing is wrong with you! You're just a person who has been through major surgery is all! Hang in there, it gets better! :thumb:
 
leejaa. Thanks for your response and encouragement. I admire you for setting the date for your next surgery. But, it will be so great to have two good knees and you will be able to do so much more. I will have to consider having my other knee done at some point too but I am hoping to hold off a few more years till I retire. In that way I can focus totally on my recovery and not have to think about returning to work in a set amount of weeks. I'll just have to see if my knee holds out that long. Hope you had a great day and are feeling good today. One day at a time.....
 
bassplayer I think I may have been overdoing it lately and sleep has been a struggle, so you might be right. I am trying to slow down and relax a little more. I think when we have this surgery and deal with this long recovery, we get so anxious to return to our activity level. So, overdoing it is so easy. Thanks for your words of encouragement. Hope you are having a good day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom