TKR chubby but still changing my life through TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
RestAssured - I just completed reading your thread. I am humbled and in awe of all you have been through and accomplished. Thank you for sharing your weight issues with me also. You are doing such a wonderful job and are truly changing your life. You have motivated and inspired me.
Thank you..
 
Afbrat63, Jamie, @ Maryo52 - please see message listed further up. I didn't know how to tag a person before and just learned. Thanks.
 
RestAssured - I just completed reading your thread. I am humbled and in awe of all you have been through and accomplished. Thank you for sharing your weight issues with me also. You are doing such a wonderful job and are truly changing your life. You have motivated and inspired me.
Thank you..

Sophie,

Thank you so much! Life has changed dramatically for me in the 3 years since my first knee replacement! I love life, living, and helping others again! :happydance:

For 20+ years, I ate to cover up my feelings, when I was stressed, happy... Which wasn't very often,or when people made my life miserable.

I decided that after I got the knee replacements, there would be no more hiding! I chose to become the best person I could be. Along the way, I have forged many friendships, worked on my Master's and am moving in a new direction! As I love to say "Life is to Short to sit on the sidelines,so I'm getting back in the. Game!" :happydance:
 
Sophie....so how did your conversation with the nurse go???
 
Jamie. How sweet of you to check back with me! I did call the nurse at 9:30am and waited all day for a call back - I had to leave a message when I called. Well, he ( the OS nurse is a male) never called back. This has happened before when he is unable to get with the OS to approve perscription renewal. Hopefully I will hear back from him in the morning. I just hate feeling so vulnerable and dependent - wondering if this will be the time they won't renew. I think I feel this way because the very first time I called for a renewal - I was 10 days post op - this nurse said " well, you know we have to start thinking about reducing the pain meds soon." Since then I worry every time, I do intend to convey this to him when we talk and try to alleviate some of my anxiety. This recovery would be so much easier if I didn't have to worry about this and I could feel assured that my pain would be managed. From what I have read here, it's not out of the ordinary to require pain meds at 4 weeks post op. I'm tired of being made to feel ( by this nurse) that I should be able to handle it without meds now. I have had previous surgeries ( removal of a kidney, gallbladder, hernia repair etc) that I was given pain meds to take post op. in all of these cases I never even took all they prescribed because I felt I didn't need them. But this is different. I really feel I need them for this recovery. I apologize for going on and on...... It's almost 3:30am and sleep is alluding me. Think I will go back and reread some of the suggested articles. Thanks for listening and I will let you know how it gets.
 
Sophie, YOU have every right to request more pain meds! You need them when you are still hurting in order to properly heal! The knee is angry right now, which means inflamed, from being sawed PM, muscles and tendons moved around and deep tissues cut and sewn back together. You should NOT have to feel bad about asking for pain meds; your OS should be more understanding of your pain, and give you enough that you don't have to worry! :hairpulling:


When I went in to see Dr. Maale before my knee revision, I took off the brace they had me in that time, to be the bones from popping out. He did his exam and they shifted, and I groaned. He put them back in place and sent me to x-ray. When we had finished the visit he gave me a pain med script for Norco 10's. I said, "what are these for?" He said you have got to be in constant pain! I told him just when the bones pop out. :heehee: I have never had to ask Either of my OS's for pain meds. They just prescribed them until I said stop. :)

If this OS will not cooperate, call your GP!
 
There is no reason for you to be in pain. I had no issue getting refills for my pain med Dilaudid for 6 wks and even then when I needed more they transitioned me to Vicodin but there was no issue and I am sure if I had increased pain that Vicodin did not touch they would have given me more of the Dilaudid. I think my recovery was smoother because I was not in pain-- hurting does not help to get moving or doing any exercises from the easy ones at firs to the more complex. When you can talk to the nurse again, explain your previous surgeries and that you would not take anything unless you need them and if necessary ask to have the OS call you himself so that the nurse does not perhaps translate your story incorrectly.
 
You are a very aware patient, Sophie!!! You are absolutely correct that recovery from joint replacement surgery is much different than procedures that only involve soft tissue. It's tougher and usually more pain medication is needed to keep you comfortable and moving forward in your recovery. That's why you should NEVER feel guilty about asking for the help you need to get through this.

I like your idea of explaining to the nurse how the "wait and see" approach for pain management causes extra stress for the patient. Most people do better with a plan so they can count on what is to come. It's understandable that the doctors don't want to over prescribe and I'm sure that's why they tend not to tell people they will take this amount of medication for this length of time. They only want you to take what is needed. But....they should be able to give you an estimate of what they expect from you and then you can go from there in your discussion. You have a right to know how they intend to support your pain management needs in the coming weeks. Stay assertive!!!
 
Jamie, RestAssured, @leeja - Well, I just got off the phone with my OS nurse. According to him, he left a message for my OS 's nurse assistant and she said that I needed to be cutting back on my meds ( which I have - i was taking 8 in 24 hours and I now take 5) and that "THEY WOULD DEAL WITH IT ON MONDAY" I repeated to Tony (the male nurse I was talking to)that I would be running out of pain meds by Sunday. He said there was nothing he could do- doctor was not in. I reminded him that I could not take Motrin or Aleve because of my one kidney. He just kept saying there was nothing he could do. He then said that I really needed to be cutting back - that most patients are only taking one or two a day at this point. I am so upset I am just in tears. I feel like they think I am an addict trying to get drugs. I can't believe the statement that " we' ll just deal with it Monday " like I am just an annoyance to them.
My OS gives all his patients his cell phone number to call if they have issues. I called him immediately after hanging up the phone with Tony and explained the situation. Of course I had to leave it on his voice mail. Don't know if I will hear from him because it is already 2:30 on a Friday afternoon. I know I am feeling sorry for myself but I am not looking forward to a Mother's Day with my family here and no pain meds at all. I'm actually kind of scared.
 
Hon, immediately call your GP and see if they can help you with either a small prescription to get you through a few days or with a new prescription for a step-down drug like Tramadol. That "we'll deal with it Monday" line is inexcusable! You need to be sure the surgeon hears about that from you in person, not on a voicemail.

If you find yourself in pain over the weekend and all else has failed you, go to a nearby Emergency Room or walk-in clinic. In fact, you could go to a walk-in clinic today and see what can be done to get you through until Tuesday (instead of just Monday, just in case...).

I feel so bad for you. This is absolutely horrible customer service and care. I'm sorry you are having to go through with it. Please, please do not feel like any of this is your fault or you are doing something wrong. You are not!!

The only other thing I could suggest this late on a Friday is to maybe call the surgeon's office back and ask to speak with a supervisor who is above the nurse you talked to. Also, don't hesitate to call the surgeon's number again and leave a message that you are in severe pain and you need to speak with him immediately. Call until you get him.
 
Jamie - ok, some good news that has partially restored my faith in humanity! My OS just called me in response to my voicemail message. He apologized profusely about what his staff had said to me. He said that he has given his staff standing orders about how to respond to refill requests for narcotics when the patient seems to be using more than the norm. Evidently they had determined that I fall into that category. But, as he pointed out, they are not as familiar with the individual patients history and needs as he is and he knows, in my particular case, I am not overusing the meds. They are the only thing I can take right now. I personally feel this should be noted in my patient chart so that his staff WOULD know but.....oh well. Anyway, he arranged to meet my husband at his office in 30 minutes so that he could give him the perscription for me. I am so relieved and can now relax a bit. Jamie, I want to thank you for your comments and concern. Your reassurance that I am not doing anything wrong was truly needed and appreciated. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. I know mine will be much better now!
 
Hon, you MADE my weekend!!! Thanks so much for letting me know you're going to be okay. And God bless that surgeon! He is a keeper!!! I have to agree that I feel like your charts should reflect your situation, but I'm sure he'll straighten that out with his staff. Believe me....they'll remember who you are now! That's a good thing.

I was really worried about you. I talk with Josephine, our forum nurse who is in Great Britain, every day and we discussed you this afternoon....and my frustration at that horrible comment. She agreed that it was inexcusable and said she wished she could just package up some Tramadol and mail it to you!!! She will be happy to hear this good news as well.

As you go forward, do ask your surgeon about the possibility of stepping down to the Tramadol or something else to transition you to over the counter Tylenol eventually for pain. It's always better to do these things gradually and I feel like you may be able to use the Tramadol successfully. Your surgeon will know for sure.

It sounds like you handled this just perfectly. Good job, my friend!! Good job!!!!
 
I'm so glad you were able to reach the OS directly and he came to your rescue. I bet he'll be dealing with his staff on that horrible way they treated you. He clearly understands each patient has individual needs. :thumb:
 
Jamie, kneeper - thank you both for your kind words and concern. I do hope my OS has a conversation with his staff - not only for my benefit but for his other patients who might encounter this same problem. I am feeling pretty good today- even got in the pool for a little while and just did some gentle walking. Felt good. I hope this improvement continues. So often I have experienced a good day and I start thinking I am over the worse of it - only to have a set back and I'm back to square one. Oh well....we'll see. I know it will eventually get better. Hope you all have a great weekend!
 
You will find as you go along that your setbacks become fewer and further between! :happydance: Then, it won't be long and you will sometimes even forget that it was not the knee you were born with! Life will just start becoming more pleasant, and you will wonder "why did I wait so long!" :wink: :happydance:
 
Geepers this is ridiculous. I have had the same issue in which the only way to take care of things was to call or email the doctor directly. And usually the doctor has no idea what is going on with his staff. At 4 weeks you should be getting whatever you need to manage your pain. How can a medical assistant have any opinion at all regarding pain management. Why a doctor would want his staff practically prescribing (or unprescribing) pain medication is beyond me. TKR patients are vulnerable due to the pain and stress caused by the surgery and trauma to the body.
I am curious though about patients who are calling their doctors instead of their pharmacy. If I do not need a change in medication I simply dial in to the pharmacy for a refill. Is it because you have a stronger prescription? I just have hydrocodone 5mg. Perhaps you must have original prescriptions for oxycodone and other stronger medications rather than just a refill? Fill me in on this!
Sophie I am so glad you got what you needed. I too hope your doctor will talk to his staff.
Do you have a pool or do you go to a gym for this? Good for you!
I hope you have a wonderful Mother's day tomorrow! Hugs!
 
Brownie, in some states, the doctor has to fax the order in every time if it is above a certain level of pain med. there are pain meds that were in triplicate for a long time, when my stepdad was so ill, and Mom had to go by and pick up the prescription in person. One I got from the doctor for Hydrocodone 10's was very colorful will a water seal mark. Now, they send it electronically and they and the pharmacy knows how much Pain medication you are taking. It doesn't matter what strength Sophie is taking; some doctor's are just not as willing to keep a person out of pain as others. But, did you notice, Her doctor is a Saint! He is aware of her conditions and will make sue she is medicated! It was the nurse who refused to help Sophie.
 
Sophie03 so glad that you received the prescription and that you will be able to feel better plus enjoy your Mother's Day.
 
My OS just called me in response to my voicemail message. He apologized profusely about what his staff had said to me... he arranged to meet my husband at his office in 30 minutes so that he could give him the perscription for me.
I cannot tell you how delighted I was to hear about this. And though a little late in the day, was great your doctor was eager to deal with things as a priority for you.
If I do not need a change in medication I simply dial in to the pharmacy for a refill.
REAlly?? In the UK, the only meds you can get from a pharmacist without a prescription are over the counter meds! Anything else has to be on doctors orders even if it's on your repeat prescription lists and you've been taking it for ages. Even for medications that are not controlled substances such as thyroxine, metformin or Ventolin inhalers. Even in the hospital, pharmacists and 'other' staff (nurses!) are not allowed to issue anything without it being a signed order by a doctor, no matter if that doctor is a 'wet behind the ears', straight out of med school, houseman with a fraction of the experience of the nurse requesting the signature!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom