Guest viewing is limited

TKR Christine's Post Op Recovery

Yesterday my PT had me trying to do stairs like a big girl. Good foot down first and controlling the step down so that there was no sound of my foot touching the ground. I wasn't allowed to use my cane and there were no railings. He stood in front of me ready to catch me if I stumbled but I was too scared to do it. I felt like such a wuss! I stood on the step looking down and I was terrified. How crazy is that? Eventually the PT let me put my hand on his shoulder and I was able to do it. I was wondering why I was so scared then I realized that since my back surgery in 2001 that left me with numbness in the outside of my left leg and foot, I have not been able to walk down stairs properly. 14 years of taking one step at a a time and my brain has forgotten how to do it. I need to relearn how to walk downstairs. It is very difficult. PT said we will keep trying but if I can't do it not to worry.
 
Proud of you for your big girl moment on the stairs. Sounds like you have an understanding PT
 
I do indeed. He let me work on flexion without pushing me and I reached the goal. I thought getting ROM was going to be the hard part but I think strengthening will be harder.
 
I know feeling I have similar nerve damage and it feels impossible to strengthen muscles that don't work.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Anybody know if my shin should be so sore 9 days after surgery?

I don't know why, but I also had pain in my shin after surgery for some time. Like a bad ache, as if my lower leg was being compressed. The only thing that helped was Aspercreme (don't know if they have that in Canada) slathered on my shin before bedtime. I tried a heating pad just on my lower leg, avoiding my knee, but that really didn't help. I was having sciatica and muscles spasms and wondered if that was the cause. The shin pain stopped after awhile--not sure how many weeks out I was.

Gilina
 
@Gilina that particular pain lasted about two weeks and I think it was just the trauma to the tibia and surrounding tissues. Isn't it funny how we have weird little things that are a bother for a while then disappear. Now it's the tightness at the front of my kneecap that is the most bothersome but no doubt that will also ease with time.
 
So far this week has been a week of firsts since surgery. First time going to a store to get my husband a birthday card, first meal in a restaurant and first time visiting family. All done with relative ease but having to ice and elevate when I got home. The next first will be on Thursday when I go back to work. I'm only going for a few hours then I start the gradual return on Monday but it will be good to see everyone.
My PT has set up a gradual return starting with 4 hours per day for three days a week then increasing to full time over 6 weeks. I do have the ability to work from home but there were too many distractions and I could never get comfortable. I'll do better actually in the office.
 
I went into work today and managed 3 hours before I became really uncomfortable. I was able to elevate and ice my knee but it was energy draining just being there. The atmosphere was weird and it's going to take some time to reintegrate. While I was off it was discovered that I had made a mistake that one of co workers had to fix. She said she was ok about it but her actions did not match her words and she was very cold towards me. She may be having other issues but it certainly wasn't the welcome back that I was expecting. I managed to get a few things done but I was working with accounts and my math is bad at the best of times! I go back on Monday and hopefully things will be better.

I was happy with how my knee felt. No increase in pain or swelling, so that was good.
 
Good report for a first day back, all in all. Yea for you! I'm really glad you're taking things gradually.

I remember you said you don't drive. How did you get to work and back? That probably contributed to the discomfort.

Glad you had no increase in pain or swelling. That's very good news/

Sorry about the co-worker. She's probably also subconsciously ticked off at having to pick up the slack while you were gone. How did the other people treat you? Three hours isn't that long a time, really, so don't jump to conclusions. Your workplace is small enough it'd take a while to reintegrate regardless of the goof.

Hang in there, OK? It'll get better. Promise
 
There's always an adjustment after an extended absence. You weren't there for the subtle changes that took place while you were gone, and they don't remember the things that changed or happened that you weren't there for. If you were a new employee, they'd be prepared to bring you up to speed, but since you're an "old" employee, there's no formal way to do that.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@SarahJane My hubby took me in this morning because I wanted to take in a folding chair to use to elevate my leg and I wanted to take in treats in the form of donuts for the staff. I took a cab home. When I go next week I'll take a cab in and my hubby will pick me up in the evening. I take cabs everywhere and am on first name terms with most of the drivers. The co worker who was cool towards me didn't have any of the donuts. She said she was on a diet. Her loss. I brought them in as a thank you to the girls for looking after my work.

@PolarBear60 I felt like I was invisible. They were so used to me not being there that they didn't see me. At least my boss was nice. He asked the junior team member to get a bag of ice for me and didn't yell at me for making the mistake. Things will get back to normal soon enough. Boy this patience thing is a real bummer!
 
It will get back to normal, but be prepared for it to be different than before. We all have made a mistake that had to be fixed at one time or another. It happens. We learn and keep moving forward.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
It will get better. Many people who don't to thru this only believe in the magical recovery. We wake after surgery and sprint off. I mean after all it has cured our other invisible ailment, arthritis. As ever office politics move on with the wind. Have a grand weekend

Legin THR Sep 14
 
That's my loch and hill. Loch Leven, I have fallen in it a few times, its shores just ten min walk away.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Aye we have indigenous trout. Its a grand place to live I used to live half way up the hill and my thinking rock is there tho alas I can't reach it right now. Did you live near or was it a holiday.or day trip

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I know East Kilbride used to get Polo Club Gin from there and had a customer there.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I lived in Motherwell till age 4, moved to EK until 1983 when I got married and moved to Falkirk. Emigrated in 1996. I still get homesick but there's hardly any family left to visit. I was home two years ago to show husband #2 where I came from.
 
Back
Top Bottom