TKR Christine's Post Op Recovery

Oh and to answer your question, had my revision at the Holland Orthopaedic hospital on Wellesley. I'm pleased with them so far.
 
I had zingers got well over a year. Not only did they zing, but knee would go into little convulsions that I couldn't control. I'd be teaching and my right leg would suddenly start shaking.
This surgey and recuperation were one of the hardest things I've had to do, which is why I'm holding off on my left leg. :whistle:
 
First of all I have to say, LET'S GO BLUE JAYS!! Sorry to all the Texans out there. It was a thrilling game.

My scar is itching like crazy. I have worked two days this week and I will be going in again after my OS appointment tomorrow. My knee is coping but by the time I get home I have to get out the Cryo cuff and the ottoman to elevate it and ice it. Still having more pain than I thought I would have. It's really sore when I put my weight on my knee and the tight band feeling has not eased up,at all. I am 12 weeks post surgery today, have no problems with ROM and I'm sleeping well. If only the pain would lessen I'd be able to say I was happy to have gone through it.
 
I went back to work part time at 12 weeks and still needed to ice and elevate when I came home. My whole leg (especially the knee) ached from using muscles etc. that I hadn't used in a very long time. By month 5 I didn't need to ice at all.
 
Went to see the OS today. When I have been before I have waited anything up to 3 hours past my appointment time. Today my appointment was at 8:35. At 8:34 I was taken into a room and saw the doctor right then. It wasn't my OS, he was on holidays. The doctor looked at my knee bent and straight, told me I was doing fine and to come back in 9 months. He got up to leave. Whoa, slow down, what about the pain? What pain? I told him about the pain and the clunking. He felt my knee asked me a couple of questions about pain levels. His considered opinion was that I was one of the 10 to 15% of patients who have ongoing pain. It should be gone by next August and if it doesn't give us a call. Oh and here's 60 Percocet to take if it gets bad.

I was done by 8:40 and in the office by 9. My physiotherapist told me that the surgeons are very Interested in you before surgery, fascinated with you during surgery, but when it's all over they have new surgeries to do and have lost interest in you. That is how I felt today. I'm going to see my family doctor on Monday to talk about pain.
 
hope your GP is kinder and more interested in helping you with the pain... is the pain bothersome enough that you want to ask Josephine for her input?
 
Good much with Dr if they don't listen you could show them the pain with a hammer.....

Legin THR Sep 14
 
First, thank you for the pie recipe! My DH will be over the moon when I bake it for him! :happydance:

Your OS experience seems very common. I have my 3 mon appt Tues and fully expect the same treatment ( or lack of! ) although now he and I must discuss TKR #2, so he might not dismiss me as casually. At my 4 wk appt we discussed our common love for Paris and the best places to eat!
 
So, we came to Toronto today to see Billy Connolly with my brother and sister in law. The journey was longer because we had to pick them up. After almost three hours in the car we went to dinner where we had to stand for a while before getting a table. Then we went to the theatre where I endured two hours of absolute agony in my knee while laughing hysterically at Billy. The seats we had were so tight and crammed up against each other that it was impossible to move. At the end I didn't think I would be able to stand up. Came back to the hotel in time to watch the Blue Jays lose the first ALCS game then iced my knee and took two Percocet. And now here I am in a hotel room unable to sleep with my DH snoring away beside me. Thank goodness for earplugs!
 
Thank goodness for Percocet, I'd say. You are pushing yourself, Christine. I know you know that. I wonder if taking one of those instant ice packs with you when you go to concerts might help a bit. Do you have any other trips to the big city planned? If not, maybe you should take it easy for a while. It could be that you're not one of those 10-15 percent of people who have pain afterward. It's possible that you're being a bit too impatient and not letting your knee fully recover. I had surgery a week before you, and I don't think I could have managed both the ride and the two hours cramped into a theater seat.

I hope you don't mind me being so direct. It's out of love and admiration that I suggest the possibility. No one deserves to be in pain.
 
@SarahJane i think you may be right. It's just that I have two speeds, sloth and manic with a tendency towards the sloth. If I don't do stuff I feel lazy. Well tonight sure showed me how easy it is for me to really hurt myself if I don't take it easy. The girls at work were getting on my case about trying to do too many hours at work so soon. But I look at others here who went back to work sooner than me and are doing fine. I need to find that balance where I can look after my knee but not feel like a complete couch potato. I have been told that at work if I go back full time too soon I will have to pay a penalty. The girls considered what the penalty might be and came up with one that I don't like. If I go back to full time hours too soon I am not allowed to complain about my knee or being in pain. That's not fair.

I do not mind you being so direct, my knee is sure being direct right about now. The instant ice packs do nothing for me. They are just not cold enough. I now travel with Ziploc bags in my luggage and fill them up with ice from the ice machine in the hotel.

Heading for home tomorrow after meeting up with some friends at lunchtime. The rest of the weekend will be spent icing and elevating.
 
Came home earlier on Saturday than I had planned because of the knee acting up. Did laundry yesterday but rested the rest of the day. I was supposed to work today but I felt horrible. All of my joints were stiff and sore. I think it was pay back for the weekend! I stayed home but went out with my husband befor supper to vote in our Federal election. Now I am lying in bed trying to follow the Blue Jays in game three and the election results at the same time. I must go to work tomorrow.
 
You can probably stop watching the election , anyway !
 
@SarahJane It was ok. The knee gets really sore by the end of the day. I was supposed to work again today but I was quite sick last night. Don't know if it was something I ate or what but it was nasty. Feeling horrible today. I'll work tomorrow.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom