TKR Christine's Post Op Recovery

Thanks, @Jamie I will probably do that especially now that the weather is getting colder and the bottles won't defrost on the way to work.
 
great idea to bring cyro-cuff and frozen bottles to work. very jealous that you're seeing Craig, you lucky girl you
 
Craig Ferguson was very funny, but there was a guy next to me who didn't laugh once. That was odd. My knee survived the two hours of sitting with only some swelling and pain. Came home, took my meds and went to bed thinking I would get to sleep quite quickly. I was so wrong. It's almost 1:00 am and I'm awake. I'm working for 6 hours a day, Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week. Next weekend is our Thanksgiving weekend and we get the Monday off. We are going to see Billy Connolly in Toronto on October 16. Another funny man. I think life may be returning to near normal.
 
thumbs up for funny Craig and knee behaving. tsk-tsk for Mr. Sandman skipping your house on his nightly rounds.
Hope you catch some ZZZZZZZZZZZ's soon.
 
Hello Caristiona

Love the pic! It's so nice to see the person who posts you. You're doing ever so well and I'm so pleased for you xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xx
 
Hi Ann,

I thought it was about time that people saw the real me. I like to see everyone else. You are doing great yourself. I struggled today. I cancelled physio and I didn't have to work. I was very lazy. The knee is not behaving itself and I am noticing other muscular pains all over my body that I had not noticed before. I keep saying that I need to get out more and move but then the armchair calls and before I know it I've been playing candy crush for three hours. Work tomorrow, so I have to get up and move.

Christine
 
Hi Christine. Just newly back on the forum and catching up. Your Blue Jay icon called to me... I'm in Toronto. Nice to meet anothervCanuck. Reading your thread reminds me of me...impatient, do too much, and then pay the price. I'm almost at 4 weeks post revision but I want to be able to do everything I used to, silly me. Hope today is better and you can enjoy this glorious Thanksgiving weekend.
 
Hey @Randi nice to meet you. I used to live in Toronto, first in Etobicoke then downtown. Moved to London in 2008. I am truly a member of the over did it club. I just didn't think that it would be so easy to overdo it. Where did you have your surgery? I had my spine surgery in St. Joseph's, gall bladder removed at Western and collar bone fracture treated at Mount Sinai. Somehow managed to avoid Toronto General and Sunnybrook.

My knee is really hurting today. I got on my elliptical this morning just for a few minutes and even that did me in. Coupled with hanging up laundry and my activity for the day is over.

I tried to kneel today, just to see if I could. Epic fail!! Won't be trying that again any time soon. Both knees complained quite loudly.

Happy thanksgiving to all the Canucks out there in BoneSmart land!
 
I'm getting a bit fed up with the pain in my knee. I'm almost 12 weeks out and totally reliant on my cane. Every step I take hurts. I looked out my walking poles today because I wanted to try going for a walk but we cleaned out a closet and I was done. We made a salted caramel pie for thanksgiving dinner at the in laws tomorrow. All I did was roll out the pastry and boil the sugar for the caramel. My husband did the rest. I couldn't stand up any longer.

I had a bit of a melt down last night. I missed two appointments last week and only went to work two days. I could not get out of my bed and called in sick on Friday. I have no idea why I feel like this. Surely my energy should be back to normal now. Last night I felt so guilty and felt like a lazy lump. I honestly could stay in bed and never get up again. My husband thinks I should get my **** together and I agree. Just don't know how. Heid being very patient with me but surely there is a limit to that. I have given myself a good talking to and if only I could get rid of the pain I may feel that I'm getting there.

Sorry to whine but my patience is running out.
 
Even at 3 months after surgery, your knee is still taking a lot of energy from your body, so that it can continue to heal. That's why you feel so tired. Do you remember this article?
Energy drain for TKRs

Some people do still need medications to relieve pain at 3 months out, so please don't feel discouraged. :console2:

Just let your knee heal at its own pace, even if it does seem so slow.
Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare - the tortoise was slow, but he kept going and he won the race.
If your knee wants to have a tortoise-like recovery, so be it. You're going to get there in the end.
 
So sorry to hear your frustration. Sounds like you expect a lot from yourself, and your knee is just not quite there yet. Give yourself a break. You helped make a salted caramel pie! I don't even know what that is!
 
From someone who went through ups and then downs with my knee I know your pain and frustration. Month three was when I knew either it was gonna get better or not. I had the sharp patella pain and the pain in the joint. Had my revision and I now have a nice tight knee and no patella pain. If you had what had. It was a overall loosening and patella tracking issue. It will either correct on its own or just get worst. Quad work outs will help the most.
I ended up needing a significant spacer upsize, bone removal and ligament release with realignment.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for the encouragement folks. @wberry I have been following your progress and I sure hope I don't have what you had. I'm glad that you seem to have found a solution and that you will recover fully from the revision. I'm hoping that I was just expecting too much. To be pain free after 12 weeks may be asking too much. I'll know better when I see my OS on Thursday. I have a Physio assessment tomorrow and I expect to be discharged because I won't have time for Physio if I'm back at work full time. I know that I would be way more active if it weren't for the pain. It is mostly around the bottom of my knee when I weight bear. I also get jabbing pains around my scar which is weird. Feels like someone is sticking a needle in my skin.

We went to my in laws for an early dinner and I was done by 5:30. Came home to cheer on the Blue Jays and have an early night. Blue Jays won, which is beyond awesome, but the early night was a waste of time since I'm still awake.

Oh and @Slainte, the caramel pie is a chocolate pastry crust with a layer of buttery caramel and topped with a chocolate ganache. No calories in it at all because today was a holiday. Nothing you eat on holidays has calories. They take the day off.
 
how lovely of Canada to give calories a Thanksgiving holiday of their own..

sorry you're still feeling pain. let's hope you get good news on Thurs.
 
Oh, I like the sound of that salted caramel pie. I guess the zero calorie rule would apply if I only eat it during our US Thanksgiving?

I hope your knee is doing well, and that you get a good report on Thursday.
 
Christine, I'm two weeks ahead of you and I'm still experiencing pain in my knee. Physician Assistant at OS office told me last week that it was to be expected. She reiterated that complete recovery can be a year. I'm retired, so I don't have the added stress of returning to work. But I do understand your frustration and expectation to be pain free. I take my cane with me when I go out and even use it occasionally around the house. Give yourself a break....you are not alone.
 
Oh, my! Not only does your salted caramel pie sound scrumptious but your no calorie holiday rule is amazing!
Maybe we can institute that for our Thanksgiving next month!! Ok, girls ( @KarriB ) we NEED that recipe!

Christine, I get some of those random stabbing needle like pains, too. I suspect it is coming from nerves trying to reconnect? Could that be it @Celle? Hope you get answers at your appt. and your pain goes away! How brave you folks are who return to work so soon!
 
Christine you sound so frustrated and I get it. I don't think many of us are truly prepared for this crazy journey. I've said a few times lately that TKR is not for wimps. The fact that you are able to do what you do is amazing. I'm glad you have a PT assessment coming up. I find it helps to know where you stand and hopefully get some reassurance.

And , yay, Jays !! One more to go !!!
 
Back
Top Bottom