Guest viewing is limited

TKR Christine's Post Op Recovery

Did you go on the Falkirk Wheel?

Legin THR Sep 14
 
We went to see it but didn't go on it. Wish the Kelpies had been there then. Maybe next time we come over we can visit them.
 
My knee has been a bit of a darn today. I tried walking upstairs normally and now I have a severe share pain directly over my patella. It feels like I am being stabbed. Waiting for the Percocets to work. Not a good time to have new pain when I'm going into work tomorrow.
 
Sounds like you have pushed a tad too far. I hope work goes well

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Feeling like such a loser just now. I didn't go in to work yesterday and didn't go to Physio today. I just want to stay in bed. That can't be good.
 
Christine, sorry you're not feeling well. I wish I had words of wisdom for you, but at least I have words of care, concern, and comfort. And hugs. {{{{{Christine}}}}}

I hope you're elevating and icing the devil out of that knee. Is it a bit more swollen than before? It could be that your grand stairs excursion triggered some swelling, and that the swelling is putting pressure against your tendons and muscles in your knee. That's what my physical therapist said was creating the IT band tightness. I asked him why the tightness started occurring now, rather than earlier in my recovery when my knee was much more swollen. He said it was because I was using it more now.

A lot of us Bonesmarties have blips and uneven sailing on our way to full recovery. You're not a loser for trying something your knee wasn't quite ready for yet.

Is part of the loser feeling related to the cold shoulder you got from that one co-worker? If I'm feeling lousy already, it's easy for the negative thoughts and self-criticism to pile on there. The mind's a tricky little devil, isn't it? So very easy for it to dwell on and ruminate on and magnify things. I certainly hope you're not letting those thoughts drag you down into the muck and mire.

WARNING

Doctor Who SPOILER from end of the Eleventh Doctor's series coming up.

KIND of a SPOILER, I guess.

Remember what the Eleventh Doctor told the Mother Superious? Fight that inner Dalek puppet, now THERE's a WOMAN!
 
Thank you @SarahJane for the encouraging words. Some days I feel like a lazy blob. My knee is not that badly swollen and it only hurts when I walk. I have full ROM. I think all my problems are mental. My job is very stressful and my bed isn't. I have to go in tomorrow so I got everything ready tonight. Hubby is going away to Michigan on business tomorrow and will not be back until Thursday night. This will be his first overnight away since before my surgery. He usually goes about once every three weeks. That might be another reason for the funk. I was on my own for 8 years was fiercely independent but that all changed when I got married, moved cities and relied on others for transportation. I know I'll be fine.
 
You can do this, Christine. It's so easy to get used to enjoying being at home and not having to deal with the stress of work, get into a routine of PT, etc. Before I went back I panicked and was afraid I had forgotten how to do my job, which is training. Although I realized it was like riding a bike and the work went well, I was sitting in my hotel room at night feeling very lonely and isolated, with a swollen and sore knee, wishing I were at home.

But the second week was easier, had a little less pain and loneliness, and I think you'll find it will get easier as you keep going back. I hope tomorrow goes well for you, and the next day, and the day after that ...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I made it through another 4 hour work day. Spent most of the time staring at my computer trying to remember what my job was. As I read through some emails it all came flooding back and now I'm a complete stress ball! I do another 4 hours tomorrow and off Friday. I planned it that way because we are going to a Toronto Blue Jays game on Friday night and want to get booked into our hotel then take a cab over to the ball park with plenty of time before it starts getting busy. The park is sold out so I want to find my seat then not move for the whole game. Actually we have disabled seats so I will be able to get up and move around if I get stiff. It is a two hour drive to Toronto and I'm hoping I don't get too stiff sitting in the car. We are then meeting friends for dinner on Saturday evening and driving home afterwards. I think Sunday will be a BoneSmart day.
 
I found it much more comfortable to sit in the back seat on car rides longer than 20 or 30 minutes. I'd sit with my back up against the side door and my leg extended out the length of the seat, with an ice pack on it if needed. You're going to have some long stretches of sitting on Friday in the cab and at the ball park. You might want to give your leg a break from being bent when you can. Just a thought from a person short enough to extend my leg out sitting sideways in the back seat of a car ...

It sounds like you're going to have a lovely weekend. I hope you enjoy your mini-vacation.
 
I was thinking about that but I'm quite tall and sitting in the back seat is not always comfortable. I was thinking of pushing the front seat back as far as it would go. We shall see. I am quite looking forward to getting away. The Jays are playing really well and I miss my friends so all in all it should be a great weekend. I am supposed to do a full week at work starting on Monday but only doing 4 hours per day. I may amend that to take Monday off.
 
I wasn't comfortable in the back seat, so I did what you are contemplating, @cairistiona60 .
I had the front seat as far back as possible, then I asked my husband to pile pillows in front of me, so that my legs were elevated. That worked well for me. I managed a 4-hour journey that way, with stops about every hour, to walk around a bit.
 
We have a rest stop about half way there that we usually use because my hubby has a bladder the size of a walnut. Mine on the other hand is as big as Montana and I could go a whole day at work without going to the bathroom. I have learned that is not good for me but sometimes I get so involved in what I'm doing. I like the idea of pillows for my leg in the front seat. May have to try that, thanks @Celle.
 
Got to the hotel in Toronto and immediately had to lie down and ice the knee. Taking a cab to the ballpark and our seats are not that far from the entrance. So far so good, but I can tell that I will be hurting tomorrow.

The ball game is over, we won and it was awesome. My awesome husband stood in line at a concession stand and got ice for my knee. We waited outside the park for a cab and two came but wouldn't take us because we were not going far enough. They saw that I had a cane. My husband told them I couldn't walk but they just drove away. Hubby had some choice words for them. One stopped and took us. He got a hefty tip. Back at the hotel and icing again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you had the time to rest and ice before heading off to the ball park. And also glad that you don't have to walk too far to get to your seats ... those ballparks can be huge!
 
Glad you had fun at the game - it's always more fun when your team wins!

We're going to a football game in a few weeks and I'm not looking forward to it yet. First, it's not "my" team that's playing. It's an outdoor game and the weather can be iffy in the Midwest in October. And the parking in downtown Minneapolis, like other metro areas, is hard to get. I'm going to have to hold strong and make sure my husband drops me off in front of the stadium. He won't want to, thinks I need to push myself more. But I'm going to insist, nicely.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If he won't SDKate ask him how good the view of the game will be from the car park. Glad you had a good time Christine. My stepson took me to see Manchester United he kept asking if I was alright.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Well my weekend was cut short because of the knee. We were going to a book launch then a Dr. Horrible screening and singalong in Toronto but after last night I couldn't do it. We had breakfast in the hotel and are on our way home. I had to take a Percocet for the journey. Bummed that I didn't see my friends but happy that we made it to the ball game.
 
@cairistiona60
It's only just over 8 weeks since your surgery. You're back at work and you're going out quite a bit, and travelling. That's asking a lot from such a new knee.

At your stage in recovery, it's wise to only plan one extra thing each day, so I'm not surprised that your knee cried "Stop", disappointing as it was for you.
Your new knee is still only a baby and it will take a full year for it to recover completely, so do try to allow it some more time.
 
@Celle I see now that it is very easy to overdo it. I think of overdoing it as being super active, walking, doing lots of housework etc., but just sitting in the car for two hours with my knee bent is too much for my knee especially when it follows 20 minutes of walking at Physio and when I also sit at a baseball game for three hours. No wonder the baby was upset!! I'll be kinder to it tomorrow.
 
Back
Top Bottom