THR chialiyu's recovery thread - 1/12 LTHR - Anterior Approach

@chialiyu glad to hear things went well with the dr. I can relate to the itchiness. I can’t wait for that tape to fall off. You are amazing for being back at work. Hope you are able to do everything and not overdo it. Be well
 
:hi: Hi @chialiyu
Great news to hear that your surgeon thought your incision looks okay. I hope you’re handling work well. I don’t know if I could have. I had issues with concentration initially which slowly resolved over time.
Best wishes for a good night!
 
Wow @chialiyu! You are one amazing women to be back at work so early, even if it is from home. I had an office job and went back after 7 weeks but needed to work from home Tuesdays and Thursdays just to
@FCBayern Covid worked to my favor in this case. We are all zoom. As long as can work on my couch I am good. I did block 30 min in the morning, block lunch off, block 30 min off mid-afternoon to make sure I have time to change ice, walk, drink water, etc. It is my 2nd day - feeling great.

Day 14:
Found out the yellowish discharge that bothers me is from the blisters on the skin, not the wound itself. I have them after my first surgery. They are super itchy but as long as I keep them dry, don't scratch, they should disappear in a week. Still keep an eye but I feel more relieved now.
Medication wise: 1 Aspirin 350 mg with Tylenol 500mg in the morning. Tylenol 1000mg before bed.
Sometimes I walk around the house forgetting my cane. Still limping but I think I am much more confident now. I haven't done any step load bearing exercise on my left. Did that on my right to keep it strong.
I felt sore while walking around my mid-thigh/lower thigh today. don't think it is anything concerning but it is interesting to observe how the whole leg was worked up and different muscle/area reacting to the trauma in different rate.
 
@chialiyu It's wonderful to hear you are doing well! As for the limping you might try walking around your house with no shoes - just socks. I found after my hip replacements that doing that really helped me get over the limping. If you must wear shoes then check the bottoms - if you're using shoes you wore a lot before surgery they may be worn down in a pattern that will keep you limping.
 
Week 2 Day 4:
Overall doing well. I can sleep on my side with pillows in between my legs for a while. Just took Aspirin these days. Sleep is almost back to normal. Swelling is almost gone. The main complaint is still my skin rash. I don't think it is getting a lot better. :( Ice helps but I hope it is less itchy when I stop ice..

@djklaugh thank you! I love the feeling of walking without shoes. Feel more in control and use feet/leg muscle more effectively.
 
Glad to hear things are going well @chialiyu, hopefully the rash will resolve soon.
 
Week 3 Day 4:
This week my rash got much better. I stopped regular icing 2 days ago and so far it is doing well.
Stay most of the time on my recliner couch. Still don't feel comfortable if I sit for too long (more than an hour). Switch to sit on my right side helps.
Tried to walk upstairs with both feet once this week. No significant pain but still feel weak. I decided to give the left side a couple more days and start to use both side after 4 weeks mark.
I started to do some hip abductor, shallow squat, etc. They make the hip comfortable (maybe it stretches the muscle/tendon around the new hip). I didn't follow the PT prescribed to me. Only do enough repetition that makes me feel good.
This week I have been cooking simple dinner for my family. My husband did the cleaning. Being able to stand longer makes me feel good. Still walk with some limp because there is still weirdness around my new hip. I tried to use my heel, use the muscle to walk properly and gradually gain strength.
Overall, I feel much better after the 3 weeks mark. :SUNsmile:
 
:wave:Still early days, my friend, but you sound like you are being sensible and understand that it is All Temporary.
Staying comfortable in any position for very long was certainly a struggle for me too.
It gets easier and time is certainly the main player in this drama.:bored:

I hope today is a Good Day.:flwrysmile:
 
Week 3 Day 5:
Just as I was happy things are on track, I slipped this morning when going downstairs. I was carrying my laptop on one hand and tried to go down alternating instead of operative leg first (without holding both rails). The first step was good but slipped on the next one. Thanks God I caught myself without falling. However, I have to use lots of sudden force to regain balance and it must disturbed the wound. Now my mid thigh, where the implant goes into the femur, hurts a lot. Icing and elevate at this point.
Do I need to worry about dislocate my implant because of this? what are the warning signs?
 
I guess you don't need to be told that railings are now your new best friend. I'd guess you just tensed the muscles so quickly they are mad at you. I never experienced it but from those that have done it dislocation is passing out blinding can't breathe pain. It's no wonder it takes so long for recovery when you think about the fact they dislocated us AND twisted our legs so they could work on the femur and the pelvis through that window they made.
 
Do I need to worry about dislocate my implant because of this?
If you dislocated you would not be able to move and would be in unbearable pain. Falls or near falls are very jarring. Your whole body tenses. You might be sore for a couple of days. Just ice and elevate and take it easy. And please be careful on those stairs.
 
I am able to walk slowly after icing for a couple hours. I guess it is easier to overestimate how strong the new joint/leg is and start to do things I used to do without paying attention. Lesson learned. I am so glad I didn't actually land on my new hip - won't be good.
Thank you @Jaycey and @Eman85. Feel much more relieved.
 
It's all fun and games from here! Long story that includes new bifocals but I kind of missed a step on a ladder the other day. It's almost 3 years on my left but it let me know not to do that again. I know where every handrail is on my stairs and when I rebuilt my back steps I improved the rail, never noticed it before but now I wanted it better. My OS gave me one restriction Don't Fall Down!
 
Hello and Happy Wednesday!
Sorry to hear about the fall and resulting pain. That had to be frightening!
I hope you’re feeling better four days later. :fingersx: Please let us know if the ice and rest seem to be helping.
Look forward to hearing from you soon. :) :-) (:
@chialiyu
 
Hi @Layla ,
After ice and elevate for a couple days, my mid thigh was getting better. However the pain moved to other places like areas around my knee, my lower back, etc. It is very weird. I don't know if it is related to my near fall experience or part of the normal healing. Trying not to think too much.
I felt my progress was set back for about a week. :( Lesson learned to be slow in early recovery stage.

Minnesota is super cold this week. I miss my hot bath in cold winter.

Thanks for checking in Layla.
 
However the pain moved to other places like areas around my knee, my lower back, etc.
I think I predicted this:
Falls or near falls are very jarring. Your whole body tenses. You might be sore for a couple of days.
Just take is easy for awhile. Only a minor setback.
 
Hi again @chialiyu I agree with Jaycey, give it a little more time.
One month to date since your surgery. Happy One Month Anniversary!
May it be smooth sailing from here on out.
Stay warm and enjoy the weekend! :)
 
Hi hippie friends and forum admins, Happy Valentine's Day! :martini:

Finally recovered from my "near fall" experience and feel like back on track again. I start to practice alternating legs going up and down stairs, with rail of course this time.

Anyone feels their hip is bigger now with artificial hip? I don't know if it is the scar, etc but I feel my left is slightly bigger than my right. And my right is bigger than before the surgery. (or maybe they are from my covid WFH weight....LOL)
 
Hi! Glad you are recovering from your near fall, @chialiyu! I felt like my hip was bigger, and my mom felt like her knee was bigger after her surgery. Both of us looked at before and after x-rays and discovered that it was due to swelling. It's amazing how long the swelling stays. Keep on icing! Happy Valentine's Day!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom