Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Checking in

Only precautions were no bending and no showers...for a month. I slept with it, traveled in the car, walked around the house. My leg felt very weak and achy after my OS said I could take it off for short periods of time. While I didn't have a recliner or cabana boy, I did have unlimited chocolate covered pretzels! A chocolate shop is at the entrance to my development! :yahoo:
 
@McDeeva - I love your humorous take on your situation. It will carry you through! Not so good news about how swollen your leg and foot. The site of my incision was swollen and bruised, but not overly so. We're all different. There is a guide on here about what is normal through to what is super swollen. Check and compare it on the search facility and then get back to Josephine as she's best qualified to advise. But are you icing - and regularly? I had an ice pack on almost continually. It made a huge differenct to the swelling and my mobility. Glad the log leg is subsiding. I said it would. Things just take time. The groin pain I recognise - I had it if I overdid things. Our muscles let us know if they're not happy that's for sure.
Keep an eye on things but take it easy and ICE! :chillpill::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice:
 
I got a lift recliner prior to my surgery and it was a life saver. I got one where you can adjust legs, back and headrest separately. Well worth the money.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
2. Pain is like a 4-5
That's not too bad - posteriors are always a little more sore than other approaches. Besides which, you're not even 10 day out yet!
3. 5 mg oxycodone tabs. Taking 10mg every 4 hours. Taking Tylenol 650 mg every 6 hours.
Is the oxycodone just oxycodone or does it have acetaminophen (Tylenol) in it? If not, I suggest you take 1,000mg Tylenol, not 650. But if yes, then add it all up to ensure you're not taking more than 4,000mg in 24hrs. I would also suggest you try taking 10mg oxycodone instead of 5. It looks like you need it for a bit.
4. Icing my knee inconsistently. Normally I ice it to give my hip a rest.
Sorry, I should have asked if you are icing your HIP!! :heehee:
Icing my hip 5-6 times a day for hours at a time. Literally I leave ice packs on until they get warm , give my hip a 30 min break and then get some more. I am literally sleeping at night with ice packs.
That's the ticket! Well done.
5. Elevating 5-6 times a day. 4 of these are just on a body pillow and my leg is not above heart level. I leave my leg on the body pillow for hours at a time. The other 2 times is a lot of elevation to where my foot is above my heart for about 1-2 hours. It's just a matter of when someone is here to elevate it like that, and also it starts to feel uncomfy with the high elevation after a bit. I do it 1-2 hours because I try to get up every 1-2 hours to take a stroll.
Don't fuss about it being above heart level. Just a little elevation will do very well.
6. Activity level is minimal.
Good. Keep it like that
I did get X-rays on the hip and the hardware looked fine but I still sometimes worry about it...
Why and what are you worrying about? Interested minds want to now!
7. PT comes to my house 3 times a week for a hour . We do 1 set of
10 ankle pumps
10 heel slides
10 but squeezes
10 thigh squeezes
10 adduction
I do all these off and on during the day. So maybe a total like 2 sets of these by myself per day
.
Let me share a big tip with you: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Besides which:
10 ankle pumps are only for people who are not very mobile which I think foes not apply to you now!
10 heel slides are really for knees so are irrelevant for hips
10 butt squeezes, 10 thigh squeezes are unwise as they cause a lot of lasting muscle pain
10 adduction likewise
I suggest you read this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy.
Also @Josephine is this swelling normal a week after surgery?
Of course it is! Your hip has sustained a major invasive trauma and the reaction to that is swelling. Just like if you would have sprained your ankle only worse! Another point: swelling is a form of pain so you need to medicate it! (see above)
I think I may be having unrealistic expectations. I did just have 2 surgeries, beat a staph infection, 6 weeks on a PICC line, a foot drop, and toe touch weight bearing for 82 days. So in essence I didn't have the typical pre activities that others may have had.
Most people do have unrealistic expectations and seem to think they've had something akin to an ingrown toenail treated! Though @Jamie will tell you I was almost as bad after my knees and my recent shoulder surgery!
My surgeon told me my recovery may take a little longer, although I should be able to do my ADL fairly quick. But what's fairly quick?
What you've been doing is 'fairly quick'! Even doing it within 2-3 weeks would be. Don't worry - you are doing fine so far though your pain meds could do with a little tweaking!
 
Thank you so much @Josephine for your help.

I am worrying about my left hip. I had that one replaced 4 years ago, and it never hurt one bit not one time. Now all of a sudden it is hurting In the groin area and when I am walking. Also like when my right leg is elevated my left one is not and it hurts in the groin and thigh area. It also hurts on the lateral aspect of my leg. I went to the doctors and they took X-rays of the left side. They said the internal hardware looked fine. For 3 months my left leg has been carrying me because I was toe touch weigh Bearing on the right side. So I am thinking it's just out of whack and fatigued kinda like my hands. I hope the left leg goes back to normal,the more increase of activity I do. This pain just worries me.

This is really good information! But don't you think I need a little more because my right leg was not being used for so long? Like I have minimal muscle strength in my right leg. I need to do something to strengthen these muscles. Should I just be walking? My right leg looks Like a matchstick compared to the left.
 
You can't exercise one leg only so I suggest you wait a few months until you are fully recovered and can cope with it.
like when my right leg is elevated my left one is not and it hurts in the groin and thigh area.
Then I suggest you don't elevate like that but elevate both legs. It's not uncommon or sinister to get such aches and pains so don't worry about it. Like I said, your pain meds need tweaking.
 
Just give your hips and legs some time as Josephine suggested. They'll come around from just daily living and later you can do some strength exercising if you want and the dr gives his ok.

When my imbolizer came off my RTKR felt as limp a a dishcloth, probably much as yours after non-weight bearing. The OS said to not just stop using it, but just to take it off a few times during the day at first. The imbolizer had been doing some of the work for my leg and I when I took it off my leg was weak. Never thought it would happen, but I was happy to put the imbolizer back on at first! It took a few months, but the RTKR eventually gained strength just from everyday activity and at 4 months I began some strength exercises with PT. It'll come for you, I know it's been a long haul, but you're recovering from the most recent surgery and it's going to take some time.
 
Thank you @Josephine for your help! @KarriB you are right! In Therapy Monday I could not do a side step. Then YesterdayI did a side step!! I was so proud lol! It's really like I am learning how to walk all over again.

We purchased a lift recliner Saturday and They delivered my recliner Sunday. 10 minutes after they left the recliner stopped working!! Unbelievable! Not to mention the delivery guy asked "well who is this chair for" I said why does it matter? He said "well,we always deliver these to old people" I couldn't believe it! He could sense my anger and excused himself from my house! I had to not only speak to the furniture store about the recliner but also his behavior! How unprofessional! I don't think he meant it maliciously but it still hurt my feelings you know? I know I am not the average patient who needs an electric lift chair but you don't make comments like that :bignono:.

I got my replacement chair Tuesday and man it makes a difference! I love the lift function it makes it easier for me to get up and sit down without breaking precautions. It's also easier for me to get up and start walking. The only odd thing is that the back and forth is making me a little motion sick?:gaah:

So things are putting along. My cultures still are not back so they put me on antibiotics again until Monday when my first post op appt is.

Yesterday was weird because it was my first day in the chair for an extended period of time. I was in the living room from 7-2pm. I was back and forth between a sitting position and a reclined position. I had therapy from 11-12.

Recently, after I stood up to do leg abductions, I have gotten a little dizzy two days this week. Yesterday I got up to get water and to go to bedroom and felt like I was going to pass out. I got really warm and felt like I couldn't breathe. I hurried to the chair because I did not want to fall and called my neighbor. I was just crying.:bawl: She helped me into bed, gave me chicken noodle soup and I sat there without the TV on for hours until the hubby came home. :elevate: I was crying on and off so I took an Ativan. It helped a little but the weird thing is I basically slept on and off from like 6.30pm to 5.30 this morning!!! The hubby was in bed with me the whole evening (which doesn't always happen because he gets off work and wants to watch football etc lol) and I just slept off and on like I was just exhausted.:bawl:

I think I had a really bad panic attack. They are happening a little more frequently now and it's so frustrating. I was feeling fine and then BOOM! The feeling of doom and gloom....fast heartbeat and can't breathe. I wonder although I may feel "fine" emotionally, does my body remember all the trauma it has been through over not only the past couple months but the past 7 years I have been dealing with this and react accordingly:bricks:

Does anybody have any experience with bad anxiety/panic attacks? If so what non medicated things did you do to help you?:flwrysmile:

Of course I have been sleeping wacky for months now. Literally since July. I ordered a new mattress topper that should be here today since I am doing mostly back sleeping. Hopefully that helps.

So I think I am doing ok with recovery. Still ice and just basically short walks around the house. I have not walked outside yet. Still focusing my mind on not thinking that I am so behind. Our minds are soo powerful:chinstroke:

I think of @keepmovin because both of us had the no toe touch weight bearing for soooo long. It seems to make recovery more difficult as your muscles are just so weak! But I am better then I was this time last week so hey..baby steps right?

My right ankle is still swollen, and my foot swells off and on. My PT said she doesn't think I have any clots or anything.:beg:

I fell asleep a few nights ago with my leg elevated for like 5 hours. Downside I was stiffer than a board. Upside is that my foot looked completely normal lol as all the fluid went back through my body. Go figure lol.

I hope you all are better then you were yesterday!

The Deeve
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@McDeeva, you are only 2 weeks out from revision surgery, and I think you are doing pretty darned well. I remember me at 2 weeks after my THR, when I had been fairly active right up until the op, and I was having great difficulties. Barely made it in for my two-week post-op appointment and home again, with loads of help and driving from my sister. Otherwise I was in the house, just moving around a bit from bedroom to bathroom to dining room and doing some self-care.

That recliner delivery man was completely out of line, and I do hope you report his behavior. Even us old people don't want to hear comments like that, much less a youngun' like you! How rude! And the chair died on you so soon. What a mess up! I love my electric lift recliner, and I am thrilled that you have use of one now to make your life easier. I didn't have mine after my THR, and I spent all my sitting time propped up in my bed (even for nighttime sleeping, since I can't sleep flat on my back). This time (surgery in 2 weeks!), I'll be able to also sit in my sunny living room, which I am looking forward to.

That's a bit scary about being afraid you will pass out. Glad your neighbor was able to help! My daughter has had many panic attacks, and says no medication helps her, but I know others do find it can help. I wouldn't doubt that all of your past terrible experiences with this hip could have triggered anxiety and fears. I would check with my doctor about that. Hope it gets better as you heal. Take good care!
 
I experienced dizziness and that overall warm feeling the first few weeks when I exerted myself. Just showering and dressing would make me dizzy and warm, but I've never experienced a panic attack. A times I became very emotional and had major crying jags anytime I talked about the infection. This didn't happen after the original TKR surgery, just after the infection.

You are absolutely right, you're better than you were last week or last month. This has been a long haul, but you're on the road to your normal life, just a little bit longer. I think everything you're feeling absolutely normal for what you've been through. Lots of ((hugs))!
 
I had therapy from 11-12. Recently, after I stood up to do leg abductions, I have gotten a little dizzy two days this week. I think I had a really bad panic attack.
I think you're doing too much.

Another thing you need to remember is that hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

So I suggest you cancel the PT visits, or let her come but just sit and chat!, and don't do any exercises yourself at a home. Read this and follow the plan of action given Activity progression for THRs
 
@McDeeva I can relate to where you are now. After being non-weight bearing for almost 4 months, and then 50% weight bearing for 6 more weeks. My leg was so weak! I also experienced the drastic swelling, and still do occasionally now 6 months later. I was a PT drop out because they seemed to be pushing me to run a marathon when I was pretty much content to be walking to the bathroom. I waited until after I was fully weight bearing and not so sore before I returned to PT. That was when I realized I needed more help than just walking. You may or may not make the decision to return to PT, that's an individual choice. But I do agree with everyone else that you may be pushing too much too soon. Rest and heal first, exercise later.
 
Thank you @Krista ! I appreciate your words! The crazy thing is the chair is not extra comfortable lol! I'm like after all of this! Hopefully it just needs to be broken in! When I am in the reclining position it's like uncomfy for my hips sometimes. Completely opposite for why I got it! Oy vey!

Thank you @KarriB for letting me know I am not alone in this! Today I am only 3 weeks out the hospital! Seems like so much longer! But I am getting less dizzy..so hopefully it is passing. I wonder why we feel like this? Mine didn't happen after the first surgery but after this last one it was so odd and hard for me! How long did the dizziness last for you? Did anything make it better? Did you ever find out why? It's almost like if I get too far from my house or do something with an increase in activity it happens. I went from no activity to trying to ramp it up maybe my body us just adjusting? :chinstroke:

@YoungHippy yes you feel my pain! I never thought regaining my muscle would be so hard after surgery! It's also extending my recovery ! How are you doing now?

Thanks @Josephine I probably was doing too much. It's like my mind wants to do what my body can't do yet. Such a frustrating place to be! I think I overdid it Tuesday at the doctors. I was there for like 2½ hours. I then went to my dog's vet and was basically standing for like 45 minutes. I have had right groin pain since then. It has gotten better with rest, ice and Tylenol but it is still lingering. I will never do that again :elevate:

Let me give my update:

So over the past few weeks I have been adjusting. I had some real post op blues going on :cry:It was like my mind just caught up to what my body has been through. I had a choice a few months ago. To get through it or to process it, I couldn't do both. So of course I chose to get through it. So now I am processing it. And getting better I think.

I had a doctors appt last Tuesday to talk about my mood and my dizziness. They did an EKG and some ortho static BPs. My blood pressure was 104/78 laying down, 94/70 when I sat up,and then 2 minutes later it was 116/80 when I stood up after I had got dressed.

The EKG she said looked a little different from July but she reviewed it and it was fine. Told me to increase fluids and I made a follow-up appt. I also agreed to some over the phone therapy to address my mood as it seemed it was situational at the time. So Thursday she calls me at 6pm talking about a cardiologist reviewed it and they want me to repeat it because it said consider a infarct, etc. :flabber::what: OMG!! I was like freaking out I went straight to the ER :shocked:I could not wait to get a repeat in the doctor's office.

Got to the ER they did an EKG and it was normal! They then told me that the one from Tuesday in my doctors office was normal too! I was sooo confused - like what! I know my doctor was doing her job but she said it could have been a lead placement error, or it could mean I had heart damage!! I was so scared! So glad it said normal! :beg:OY VEY!!

So I have been trying to increase my activity. Bit by bit. I walked the longest I have ever walked on a walker yesterday morning.:yahoo: It was like maybe 600 feet? I got so winded and had to come in and rest for like 2 hours!

My PT mentioned she wanted to move me to a cane and I kept saying I wasn't ready. So yesterday I was talking to my fiancée about it and I grabbed the cane and just took two steps out the blue. I was like - wait a minute - I then proceeded to walk from my bedroom to my living room! I was so emotional! First time walking without a walker since 7/7/16!!!:happydance: I was so proud. I then commenced to keep the party going by taking my first stand up shower since 7/7/16!!:egypdance: So yesterday was a recovery propelling day! :wow:

Ok sorry for the long post I just had to catch y'all up! I am continuing to walk on the cane and using the walker sometimes too. I am still slow and my leg is still not extra strong but I think I am making baby steps in the right direction.:prayer::prayer:

I hope you all are well! Happy Sunday and Blessings to you!

The Deeve
 
Well done. But I can imagine it was scary to have all that misinformation about the EKG. Glad it all turned out okay though
 
Well done transitioning to the cane. Don't push it though. If you have the slightest limp keep on the walker and take baby steps with the cane. When you feel totally stable it's time to ditch the walker. You are doing so well!
 
I've never had an anxiety attack, so maybe the dizziness can be attributed to that. But I wonder if it could also have been that you ramped up your activity level quickly after months of inactivity. Has it gone away or still happening?
I'm sorry the blues hit you, they aren't fun at all. I'm hoping you're on the other side of it though. Remember though, don't hurry it too much. Just think how much better you'll feel by Thanksgiving and then by Christmas!
 
Hi I wanted to start a new thread to see how common dizziness is after hip/knee? I am almost 4 weeks post op with general anesthesia and still have slight dizziness sometimes. It was worse some weeks ago. And maybe had to do with an increase in activity. I have had 4 surgeries, and this is the first time I have felt like this..kinda like woooo...sometimes out of body feeling...a little blurred vision..so weird. I had some BP taken that suggested some possible ortho static hypotension that my therapist said goes away after surgery. I am wondering is it from the anesthesia, anxiety etc...and to also see if anybody else experienced this And what gave you relief? Thoughts????
 
Are you taking any medication to thin your blood? I had major dizziness post LTHR and it was due to the blood thinner meds. Be sure and move slowly. Getting up from sitting or lying down quickly can be a problem.

Are you on any other meds that might be causing this?
 
Hey @Jaycey they gave me aspirin as a blood thinner. I was on it for 30 days in July also. I wonder could that be doing it? This is the first time I have been on aspiring for this amount of time. My previous surgeries they gave me Coumadin. I actually should be stopping the aspirin on Thursday so I will be interested to see if the dizziness and foggy head goes away. Could I still have anesthesia in me also? I am still peeing a lot, and someone told me that for every hour you are under anesthesia it takes 1 month to get out your body! So if you were under 3 hours it takes 3 months for it to get out? I wonder how true that is...

I try to slowly get up and sit down and I also pump my feet a few times before I get up. But I can just be laying in bed and I Will get a little dizzy, and it was way worse last week and the week before. I am not taking anymore narcotics for pain just Tylenol arthritis. It's just so weird and annoying and scary :dubious:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom