Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Checking in

@KarriB i do think working a bit helped propel me day to day. I did have to drop out of school next semester, so working has given me a sense of hey girlie keep pushing you still got it lol. I am blessed that I don't have to work due to medical leave benefits, but that I am able to work a few hours a day from home and my job is ok with it.

@Cynthia777 please do share some scriptures! I have started a list of scriptures to meditate on!! Would love to see what you have!!:prayer::prayer::angel::console2:

So I am here anxiously waiting by the phone for the nurse to call me and tell me what time exactly she will be here to pull this PICC. My arm and neck had been hurting and I have a few swollen glands in my neck. I think I am fighting off a virus as I was not feeling well a couple weeks ago and it lingered. That is such the anxious level I do not want to be in y'all. Like right now I am wondering if the infection is just laying latent waiting to burst out the closet now that I have stopped the antibiotics. I don't want to live in a bubble. I don't want to live afraid. :beg::beg::whistle:

@KarriB @dinsmaum @keepmovin how did you all manage those feelings post op? Is there always a bit of a concern that the infection will come back in your new implant? @Josephine does having an infection once put an increased risk for a second time, or does the risk go back to normal? What about every day things like colds, sinus infections etc? :chinstroke:

This is where prayer comes in. Things like this that you don't know..can't control...we have gots to put it in Gods hands. Literally. I know I do. Or else the worry and stress will consume you so much , life will seem like it has a temporary spacer in it you know what I'm saying?

Happy Saturday everyone!! I hope everyone is feeling well today!!

The Deeve
 
My ID has kept me on antibiotics (100mg doxycycline ) since the infection washout surgery. There was a 2 week period I had to go off all antibiotics because the IV and oral rifampin caused my body to stop making white cells. I stayed home, wore a mask to dr or hospital as she told me to go to the ER immediately if I experienced a fever.
After two weeks my body began producing white cells again and I began taking 100 mg of doxycycline twice a day. I now take 100mg once a day.

During that two week period I worried the infection would return, I cannot tell you how much I prayed during that time. It was almost continual. Ephesians 3:20 20 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine" was the verse I used often. Before the incision stopped seeping I did ask to be anointed by my pastor.

I'm ok with taking the antibiotics now, although I wasn't at first. I do take a probiotic daily to try to prevent C-dif and my ID runs labs a few times a year. I think I would worry so much about the possibility of the infection returning without the antibiotic. But I know most don't stay on antibiotics after having a spacer. I do worry a bit when I a stomach issue creeps up, but I haven't had anything with a fever. There were nights I woke up and thought my leg was seeping, I'd wake up and have to feel my leg to check.

I do pray everyday, thanking the Lord for my knee, that it's healthy and working well. I believe for me, this has been a learning experience and I don't want to forget it or how God worked through it.
 
Hi @McDeeva - I come back on site to find you half way through this terrible ordeal and so glad to see your picc line is being removed! So you are six weeks in, another six weeks after the picc line is removed to assure that that the infection is clear and your own immune system keeps it that way. The end of September can’t come soon enough, I’m sure!:happydance:

I just want to comment on your post a while back regarding the dual mobility device you will have placed as your new hip. I, too, have this one and I understand that it is widely used as the device of choice for revisions as it’s a very dependable and pretty much impossible to dislocate with this one. It’s a good hip and I’m glad you are receiving this one!

Regarding the emotional side of all this….I can see you are struggling with the fear of the infection returning. It’s a tough, mental wrestling not feeling totally secure that it will not come back. I went through this when the picc line came out. Inasmuch as I wanted this done, it was a security blanket and I felt safe with it there. Once it was removed, it took a few weeks for my fears to calm down. The reality is, there isn’t a thing we can do about it so you place faith in the hands that you feel comfortable with. For you, it’s your unfailing love of God and the Words of the Scriptures. Please continue to be there with that. For me, it is different. I am more of a universal believer and God sits deep in my soul. I went there to meditate and the words would come to console me. That was my Peace. I work on positive energy through my body as I feel it is negative energy that makes illness linger.

Medically speaking, these spacers that we have to endure are pretty dependable in kicking out the infection. I went back to check what kind of infection you had – coagulase negative staph – so when I looked that up, this seems to start at the epidermis which then enters the bloodstream. It’s very common and treatable. I had a staph infection that actually began where my implant was and worked its way up presenting itself in the end at the skin level. These are treatable and therefore the antibiotic spacer, antibiotics/picc line and then new device should do the job. My OS and ID Dr. did not recommend continuing to take antibiotics so I've been off them since my picc line was removed. First time in 2 1/2 years!

Is this a guarantee? Can we be given an absolute that it will not come back? No. Because what can happen is we come down with another infection that makes its way into the bloodstream and travels to the metal hip site, or any joint that has metal on it. This is rare and not worth dwelling on but always a possibility. You can discuss this with your surgeon or your ID Dr. when the time comes. There are no guarantees – only the hands that hold our worries will guarantee to keep us in Peace and in Comfort.:prayer:

I’ve had a lot of time to reflect on my last years going through this, hence this long post. Hope I didn’t get too wordy!

You are doing extremely well with all this, @McDeeva. In the end, when you looked back, you will be proud of yourself for getting through this as well as you did. You are so young and I feel this has to be so difficult at your stage in life. You will come through stronger and will turn around and hold many other’s hand as they walk through difficult times.

This is where prayer comes in. Things like this that you don't know..can't control...we have gots to put it in Gods hands. Literally. I know I do. Or else the worry and stress will consume you so much , life will seem like it has a temporary spacer in it

Beautifully said!

Hope your picc line removal goes well. I am a little concerned about your swollen glands, though. Please make sure you alert your nurse.

Six more weeks….it should go quickly for you!

Blessings and Prayers :angel:
 
I sent you the scriptures in a private message. I hope they will be helpful during your very difficult journey. Sending you prayers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine does having an infection once put an increased risk for a second time, or does the risk go back to normal? What about every day things like colds, sinus infections etc? :chinstroke:
Peri-prosthetic infection is unlike any other infection. Most bodily infections such a dental abscesses, cystitis and etc, have no bearing on the PPIs.
You should read these to see why
Infection: Peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection

Infection: Periprosthetic infection: Mayo Clinic study shows that dental procedures are not a risk factor (Scientific Articles)
Infection: Periprosthetic infection (Scientific Articles)
Infection: Peri-prosthetic infection: study by the Mayo Clinic concerning prophylactic antibiotics (Scientific Articles)
 
Hi everyone!

Thank you @Josephine for those articles. I hope they find a way to combat these infections less invasive oh sometime in the future. :reading:

@Cynthia777 you know I am ever so grateful for your spiritual support :friends:

@KarriB and @keepmovin while reading your replies I actually cried. It just feels comforting to know that there are people who feel the same things I feel. I am so glad that both of you conquered your infections and are living your life as intended to be. It was so hard explaining to my family that yes I am glad the PICC line came out but I felt like it was my security blanket. They did not get it. They were so shocked that I was not jumping for joy (which I was kinda). It was such an indescribable weird feeling. I am so glad to here that my surgeon is on the right track with the dual mobility implant. Honestly after the foot drop I lost some faith in him. I expressed this to him and he said he understood and he would work hard to get it back. :dubious:

@keepmovin you know my cousin suggested that I meditate. I am going to start reading on how to do it. I am kinda high strung and anxious at times. I would love to get that under control in a natural way. I listened to an interview Oprah did and she mentioned the same thing. That she goes on her property where these beautiful,oak trees meet to form a circle. That is where she sits and waits for an answer to come to her. She listens and waits. Patience is definetly a virtue that I keep trying to grab lol. And never fear you can never be too verbose for me. I enjoy reading your responses and thank you all for taking the time out to talk to me:roseshwr:

So about the foot drop, I am starting to wean myself of the gabapentin with the Drs permission. I feel like had been having bad side effects from it..headaches nausea dizziness etc. I am also not in any necessarily nerve pain anymore in my foot. It's still feeling tight but not painful. :tiredwheel: So I am going to wean myself off and see how it goes. Wish me luck :beg:

I have been in some pain these last few days and it always is when I am rolling over in bed or flexing my hip. I don't know why...I guess with these spacers you never know. I was actually not taking oxycodone anymore because I wasn't in that type of pain..more like a Tylenol type of pain. I think maybe I do too much..and it's so weird to say because in my eyes I'm not doing anything lol. I wonder does the gabapentin help with the muscular pain or only the nerve pain? @Josephine do you have any information on that? When I asked for a refill for the oxycodone like some weeks back they refilled it but wanted to let me know that I need to be weaning it down to try to be off of it before surgery. It kinda made me uncomfortable because I don't believe that I should have to be in pain no matter what. So I think a conversation is to be had in the near future because they are not going to make me feel bad for not wanting to be in pain.:eeeuw::elevate:

Thank you all for your kind words and support. You will never know how much you all mean to me. I feel like I am part of a family that has been through what I am going through. I had tickets to the Tigers game today, but I can't go so I am sending my dad, the hubby and my brother. My hubby hasn't been anywhere since July like me so I am so glad they will be able to have a fellas day out.:hog:

My niece stayed the night and therapy is about to come. My cousin is supposed to come over and cook for me today so I am going to get up and wash up. You know every 2 weeks I get my lashes and eyebrows done. I have a makeup artist that comes to my house. And my hairdresser is coming in a few weeks to do my hair before my bday/surgery. I just wanted to share that lol. My grandmother and mother always told me "you don't have to look the way you feel" :egypdance::giggle:

Happy Friday!!

The Deeve
 
I think they want you off the pain meds so that when the revision surgery is done you can take those same meds and get relief. If your body is used to them they won't relieve your pain quite as well. So moving onto Tylenol is good. I know while in the imbolizer I didn't need any pain meds after the surgery pain was gone, but once I started using the knee again I needed something to take the edge off the pain.

I never put makeup on during my time in transition/rehab and I remember making an excuse for my appearance to my pt, crying and saying, "I usually look very chic." Mostly I think I was too exhausted to take it off and I never go to bed with make up on. Then I went back a few months later to take gifts for my nurses, aides and PTs, but they didn't recognize me! I spent 22 days there, but I was wearing makeup, school clothes, jewelry, etc. As soon as I introduced myself they were hugging me! I've secretly wanted to try false eyelashes but I'm worried I'll become addicted!
 
Lol @KarriB i haven't wore a lick of makeup since the Fourth of July!! My Makeup artist only does my eyebrows and lashes. I will probably get a full face next month for my birthday! I dont wear a lot if makeup normally but will splurge for my bday since its 6 days before my surgery lol. It's nice just having the brows and lashes cuz then your whole face looks together without any makeup. Just gentle enhancers. Try the lashes!! Just get a strip they do the job. I get really natural individual ones. Just to add a little va va voom lol.

That makes sense about the drugs. I was doing good but the last two days I have had some twitches that has necessitated one oxy here and there. Hopefully everything gets back to normal soon:beg:
 
Hey everyone! The 30 day countdown has begun! And my aspiration is next Tuesday! Jesus be a fence! Good news though my foot can go 3 degrees past neutral! So I am laying off the kinesiology tape until Friday, and then we will reassess because it's looking like I don't need it and am having spontaneous return. Still some tightness but way better than before! Talk to you all soon
 
Hi @McDeeva - So glad to hear everything is falling into place! I'm sure the aspiration will show nothing and you will be in the clear!! Now, just to get that foot drop issue cleared up and the final operation behind you and the light at the end of the tunnel will be bright and open for you to breeze through!:happydance:

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the pain meds. I used them continuously until my second surgery and then only shortly thereafter. I think once you are through your second, you will feel so much better! It's kind of a relative thing with this 2-stage operation. The first stage is misery and being uncomfortable, hence the pain meds. I also had the nerve issue that didn't abate until the second surgery. But once you go through the second, compared to the first, it's a breeze. Tylenol will suffice after a few weeks.

Looking forward to seeing you through the final surgery!

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!:flwrysmile:

Blessings,
Debbie
 
Hi Everyone!
17 more days! Man this cannot come soon enough! Good news is that it looks like the infection is gone! :spin::dancy::egypdance:

Aspiration went well, until on my way home I got a phone call that someone pricked themselves with a needle and I had to go back and get all this testing! My aunt told me I am cleaner than the board of health now lol.

Now its just a waiting game. I seem to be having more pain in my operated leg, and my other leg is hurting I am assuming because I have been depending on it for the past 2.5months. My operated leg looks like a matchstick compared to my other leg lol. I know that will change when I can walk and stuff. So I am basically in the bed all the time. I do not have to wear the lanard boot or brace for my foot drop anymore. I also do not have to use the kinesio tape either as my foot is like 85% back.:happydance::yes!:

I have been a little sick for a few weeks though. Low grade fevers, congestion etc. Its like my body is fighting off some nasty virus. I saw infectious disease the day of my aspiration and they said it was a virus too and that it will have to run its course. My immune system is being beat up for real!

Here in Michigan it got cool a little quick so it may be my allergies that have morphed. It was like 46 degrees this morning, but will be 76 today. A perfect mix of things to make you sick.

The biggest thing i am battling now is mentally wrapping my mind around the fact that I will have another serious surgery and have to recover. Its like wow, I must be really strong to go through this type of stuff. Surgery is scary business, and I really feel like I have had enough to last a lifetime. I am also not sleeping well. I just got the ok to sleep on my operated side but it hurts when i lay on it. Oy vey!

@Cynthia777 , @keepmovin , and @KarriB thank you all for sticking with me through this thread. I am thinking of making a pre-op thread in a couple weeks... I hope you all are well and had a wonderful holiday.

Talk to you soon,

The Deeve
 
What a mix of good and bad news! It's wonderful you are clear of infection in your hip and have only 2 ½ weeks to go until the last surgery. And what a relief it must be that your foot drop is much better. But what a tough time you are having with other issues - tooth and virus. It's got to be so tough to be in bed so much and be so uncomfortable. Will be sending you the best of good wishes for the surgery!
 
I'm so happy to hear it looks like the infection in gone. Tag me in your pre-op thread as I'm away on vacation and may miss it. I'm thinking of you!
 
I bet you have so many different emotions going on right now (excitement, fear, anticipation, worry etc. etc.). No wonder you aren't sleeping well!!!! I'm sure your immune system is going crazy (emotions have a way of wreaking havoc on the immune system). Please also tag me when you start a new pre-op thread. Sending you prayers, peace and a big hug! :console2:
 
Hey everybody!

So I'm having some rough times here in the hospital. For one my pain is not controlled. I am taking 10 mg of oxycodone every 4 hours and a Tylenol. Not working. My right leg feels like it's made of that stuff thee terminator was made of after a revision? Like my whole leg is soo heavy. I know I have been non WBAT since this last surgery so my hip muscles are pretty much nonexistent. But I'm in a lot of pain, it feels more incisional. I am supposed to work with PT AND OT today on going home, but I can barely lift my foot up to Go up the stairs. Sorry for the ramble I am typing one the ipad lol. Did anybody else experience this pain or the inability to move your leg much right after surgery? @Josephine do you had any indication of another med? They are giving meme Toradol and Celebrex but that's like every 6 hours I think ..

The Deeve
 
I'm sorry you're experiencing such pain. An IV push of Toradol got me over the hump when oxycodone wasn't cutting it. Many TKRs have problems lifting their leg but I'm not sure about THR. Let's see what Josephine says, also hospital PT may have some idea.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom