Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Checking in

I checked in with my friend yesterday after her initial Brigham visit.
Her first visit was testing, on 11th she's having biopsy & 18th an aspiration.
Replacement of the hip has been discussed but these are the avenues they are trying first.
She wants to do everything in her power not to need a replacement.
Like I mentioned her original replacement was 2016.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully she is doing ok and makes the best decision for her !
Hi there checking in to see how your friend is doing?
 
@McDeeva ..... I apologize for not responding to you sooner on your request for revision surgeons. Do you still need some recommendations? How are you doing?

Hi Jamie I'm hanging in there so glad to hear from you. I had all my appointments a nuclear bone scan and aspiration and no infection thank goodness! Bone scan seemed ok to. I'm no back to PT. So prayerfully I can round the curve. It's just been so long and hard to believe riser I still need put 8 years later. But I did have extensive surgery on my right side and i was not doing my exercises. I'm determined this time!
Hi Jamie! So an update lol. The bonescans seemed to be ok, but my surgeon said it looks like its loose and the next step for me is revision surgery. I am devastated to say the least. This will be my 4th surgery on my right hip. Just unbelievable. I am confused too because when we met he said that surgery wasnt reccomended at this time, but I guess with my symptoms thats the way to go. He said in my notes that I may have some "micromotion". There is lucency around the joint on xray, but the bone scan said there wasn't any classical findings of loosening. Very confused. The bone scan did say I had a possible stress reaction and there was some increaesed uptake in that area that could be causing the pain.

I am like what can I do for the stress reaction? I am about to pay out of pocket for PT as I am nearing my limits. I am just...my mind is blown. The percentages are so small for all of this stuff and of course I fall into it. I feel very different about revision now that I have a young daughter. Everything I do is for her. How many revisions can you have before you cant? I know the surgery is more complicated and the risks are increased. I have just really been through the ringer and...I just dont have alot of words.

@Jamie if you could send me some revision drs in michigan that would be great.
 
It happens sometimes that a patient needs more than one revision for a whole variety of reasons. There really isn’t a “limit” on the number. So please don’t worry about that. How far would you be willing to travel to see a revision specialist?
 
It happens sometimes that a patient needs more than one revision for a whole variety of reasons. There really isn’t a “limit” on the number. So please don’t worry about that. How far would you be willing to travel to see a revision specialist?
Hi Jamie it varies I guess. Can also travel to ohio. But I am willing to travel far to get the answers that I need. If you could send maybe the top 4 that you have that would be great thank you.
 
It happens sometimes that a patient needs more than one revision for a whole variety of reasons. There really isn’t a “limit” on the number. So please don’t worry about that. How far would you be willing to travel to see a revision specialist?
@Jamie could you please send me the list of revision specialists? Thank you
 
An updated on me. I have been in pain and it feels like my leg is giving out. I am at the max for my PT this year so I paid out of pocket for a home PT therapist. Very knowledgeable and thought that my issues are weak quads, tight hip flexors and misalignment. Gave me some exercises so we will see. I am going to give myself 3 months to focus on exercises and get a second opinion. I meet with my surgeon on Thursday to get more information. So sick of going through this and super terrified about a revision. Especially with a 16 month old running around. More sick of being in pain. I don't know, its been a mental struggle for me as well. I have a therapist and have been going. I am going out of town for a family reunion next week and am terrified about mobility. Please send me thoughts and prayers if you are able too.
 
I am so sorry, McDeeva, for your pain and uncertainty. I hope the exercises help, the visit with the OS is enlightening and your family reunion is bearable (physically) allowing you to enjoy reconnecting with extended loved ones as you create memories together. Lifting a prayer for you. :prayer:

Hugs:console2:
@McDeeva
 
Pain is so debilitating physically as well as mentally.
I'll check in with my friend later today to see what came of her visits to Brigham.
Summer seems to fly by & we weren't really in touch for most of this summer!
I am sending you best wishes for pain relief & getting some answers.
 
I am so sorry, McDeeva, for your pain and uncertainty. I hope the exercises help, the visit with the OS is enlightening and your family reunion is bearable (physically) allowing you to enjoy reconnecting with extended loved ones as you create memories together. Lifting a prayer for you. :prayer:

Hugs:console2:
@McDeeva
Thank you everyone for your well wishes. I saw my surgeon again and apparently where the cup meets my bone is scar tissue. It looks like it didnt grow into my bone. I cant believe it. They consider this "loose' I guess. Said my only relief is a revision. He also said that its not urgent, it just depends on my pain level and tolerance. He said its common and some people have it and dont have any issues but some people (like yours truly) have it and have alot of pain. He told me to keep doing PT, weight management etc. I still plan on getting a second opinion. I have been trying to get some referrals from this group but Jamie must be busy or something. I cant even wrap my mind around a revision at this moment but the pain is increasing. Such is life I guess.
 
Hi McDeeva,
I am so sorry you're dealing with the possibility of a revision, but if it comes to pass I'm certain you'll do well as many here have.

Jamie has been really busy, but I did message her and noticed she asked above how far you're willing to travel to seek a second opinion from a revision specialist?
She may have some recommendations outside your immediate area, so please let us know when you see this.
Wishing you the best!
@McDeeva
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom