Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Checking in

Hi @McDeeva - When I posted last, it was before you posted about your blood pressure issues and now your concerns about some pain and discomfort issues you have. So, 4 weeks out is and was, for me, so early out. I was NOT doing any exercises even though I had PT coming to the house. She would attempt to get me to do some of the standard exercises but I didn't feel comfortable, so I didn't do it! I was still on one crutch, and yes I still had pain. I also was very anxious about my recovery because I wanted to speed things up. Spring was here and I had enough of convalescing! I was still on pain meds.

I had my 6-week check up at 4-weeks and was happy for this as my surgeon assured me that all was well. He slowly lifted my restrictions but I gave myself an extra 3 more weeks before I started to bend, stretch or try anything strenuous. I was walking slowing outside but barely making it up and down the street.

At 3 months, we had a family wedding and that took a lot out of me. I was depressed because I couldn't dance even though emotionally I wanted to be up on that dance floor with everyone else! The next month, 4 months out we had another wedding and I was a lot better, could do a little wiggle waggle up on the floor but I was still exhausted.

August was a turning point, so 5 months out. I would still have discomfort where I felt I shouldn't have discomfort but would just pace myself. My Dr. put me on Arthrotec 2x a day or as needed at my request because I still needed help in the morning and evening. I take one in the morning now and feel soon I will stop altogether.

September I was doing a lot better and this is when I started feeling stronger and more confident. This when I started to regain more leg muscle strength. I could walk close to a mile without exhaustion. Up until my unfortunate fall, things were finally falling into place for me. I got through my fall and feel fine so no damage that I can feel or detect.

I looked at where your pain is located and I have to say, yeah, I felt that too. Josephine will let you know what she thinks but PT might be contributing to this.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like. I really feel your expectations might be more than you are physically ready to accept. There were days when I would just lose it as my patience would give out but I soon realized, that's not an option. After multiple operations, our bodies take a bit of a beating. Healthy healing takes time.

I hope this timeline helps as this might put things in perspective from someone who has been in your shoes! In the meantime, @Miss Muffet gave you a simple relaxation exercise that I like as well! Thank you Miss Muffet!

Hope this helps alleviate some concerns, McDeeva! Wishing you better days ahead!:SUNsmile:

Blessings,
 
Thank you so much @keepmovin for all this information. You really helped me just normalize everything I'm feeling. So yeah...I'm ditching PT. Gonna re-read my mantras on here. Time for me to accept that I will be ok, I just need to give myself time to heal.I will also PM you with other questions and send you my Email addy just in case that's easier for us to communicate with.

Oh @keepmovin what is Arthotec?

@Miss Muffet thank you I understand and you are right. Time for me to take a :chillpill:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the spread of your pain?
[Bonesmart.org] Checking in


This is ALL most definitely caused by the exercise. I suggest you go back and read my advice in this post and then follow it! I can say no more.

I also,wonder should I need to take a narcotic? I stopped the oxycodone because I was getting dizzy.
Not if it makes you dizzy. What you really need to do is STOP ALL THE EXERCISING!!!
I have been taking just Tylenol arthritis. 1300 mg 2x a day.
That's a pathetic dose! You need to take 1,000mg 4 times a day to get the full benefit.
Today I took Aleve for the first time and it helped a lot.
Naproxen is one of the better NSAIDs and you should take it twice daily.
 
Hi @McDeeva!
I'm so sorry I missed your surgery! It's so good to hear you have it behind you. You mentioned a few things in earlier posts and I thought I'd share some thoughts with you. My daughter used to suffer from anxiety attacks something fierce. Her heart would start racing and she would become short of breath. I just asked her how she got over them (it's been a couple years since she's had one) and she said she actually started learning to talk herself out of them (she said mind over matter) AND she said prayer helped tremendously. I also remember her tapping her chest (between the breasts) and that helped with the racing heart. If she had a really bad one she would take a Xanax (.5 Mg's). As far as pushing yourself, if I was in pain, I never did much of anything, but lay in bed watching tv. When the pain was very manageable, I started walking around my swimming pool (started with one lap and increased a lap every few days). In the beginning I only walked every other or every third day. This routine worked for me. I also had a lot of muscle weakness for months and very mild groin pain. In fact about two weeks ago, my muscles seemed to strengthen out of nowhere and all groin pain disappeared! Keep in mind, my first THR was 9 months ago and my second THR was 6 months ago. I would imagine your recovery will take a bit longer because of what you've been through. Oh, I'm doing well, thank you for asking (just been dealing with a long bout of bronchitis). God bless sweet girl! CC
 
Thank you @Josephine I have decided to stop therapy. I seem to be getting enough exercise just up and doing things around the house anyways. I was actually able to go right outside my front door with the dog On the leash all by myself! It felt so exhilarating. I did not move one inch and my dog was looking at me like mom come on lol but I felt like that was a big accomplishment.

Thank you @Cynthia777 for your suggestions and advice! I have been feeling better as of late as far as anxiety and I am just taking one day at a a time. I hope you feel better!!
 
Good to hear you're feeling less anxiety, @McDeeva . I just find it amazing all the different issues that can come from our surgery. Getting out of the house, even just out the front door is good. Fresh, cool fall air is wonderful and can make you feel part of the human race again!
 
Hi @Jaycey thanks for checking in on me!! Hi Bonesmart family!!

Things have eased a little, but of course as soon as they ease its another loop.:gaah: So I started the naproxen a couple weeks ago. I was taking 1 pill twice a day. Friday I felt like I had to throw up out the blue and my stomach just started hurting so bad. I was completely fine the whole day. I stopped the Aleve and haven't taken any pain pills for two days now. I'm miserable. It's upper gastric pain...im constantly burping and my stomach just hurts. No black stools, no vomiting but def nausea. When I do go to the bathroom it seems normal looking. I cut out like fatty stuff etc. I don't know if I have extremely bad gas, a ulcer etc. I do get relief from Gas-X but it lasts like 8 hours and then then the pain comes back. So I have been in aloe Vera pills, probiotics, Prilosec, chewable tums Tex for the past 48 hours. I would love to know if @Josephine has any remedies??

I still feel kinda loopy sometimes but it's not happening as often. I do get dizziness etc. I walked outside yesterday for the longest I have walked since July 6. I was on my Walker for support but I use one crutch like 50-60% of the time. It was beautiful out like 67 degrees. Perfect day to go to the apple orchard or a haunted hayride but alas...:banghead: Lol

I am also still having trouble sleeping. Did this happen to anybody else? I am about 5 weeks post op now. I wake up 2-3 times a week at about 430 and am up for the rest of the day. I rarely nap as I have never been a napped. I have been up since 530 this morning and I am so tired but can't sleep. Sigh.

So things are chugging along. I honestly just try not to complain as I have came so far you know? Things def could be worse as we all know. I have my appt with my surgeon Tuesday. I also have an echo scheduled Wednesday due to that EKG fiasco a couple weeks ago. I'm just tired y'all. I feel ran down..out of steam. Tired of being sick and tired. Guess I may have the blues today. Staying positive though...just am ready to get my life back you know? Sigh.

In a nutshell I'm too young for this :censored:.

Happy Sunday everyone I hope you all are doing well!!!:flwrysmile:
 
Indeed I do have some advice! You need to read this though Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers. It's all in there about PPIs and Gaviscon. Don't ignore this - you've had a serious run-in with the NSAIDs. Let this be a warning to you and never take any NSAIDs again, ever!

You'll see in the article there is a fairly comprehensive list of all NSAIDs that are on the market!
 
Thank you @Josephine i will never take them again as I do not want to ever feel like this ever again. I wonder how long this is supposed to last? I was reading all the information you provided and about about the internal bleeding etc what are the symptoms of that? I will look up the Gaviscon liquid as I have never heard about that before. I took two Tylenol a couple hours ago for some pain relief. I am assuming this will go away with the removal of NSAIDS and a little time but I am wondering should go get some treatment or something?
 
A little bump in the road is better than a big bump! I had an issue with sleep after both surgeries. I only slept 3-4 hours a night and although I never nap, TKR recovery was the exception. I fell asleep any time of the day. Let us know how your appts go. You're in my prayers, D!
 
@McDeeva If it were me I would go to my family doctor and get something for that stomach problem. It will calm down now that you are off NSAIDs. But your stomach may need a bit of help. There are several medication options.

Do sorry you are suffering! Hang in there. You have come a very long way!
 
I was reading all the information you provided and about about the internal bleeding etc what are the symptoms of that?
Severe abdominal pain and possibly vomiting blood which will have the typical 'coffee grounds' appearance like this

[Bonesmart.org] Checking in


I am assuming this will go away with the removal of NSAIDS and a little time but I am wondering should go get some treatment or something?
That is spelled out quite clearly in the article. The drugs concerned are called PPIs (proton pump inhibitors). Go back and read the article again. I know there's a lot in it but it's all essential information. And you need to take them practically for the rest of your life! I've been taking them now for about 35 years!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody. @Jaycey i am currently on Prilosec but just a 14 day course. I have an appointment with her Friday so I will speak to her then. @KarriB I am glad I am not alone. I am sure it will get better. I saw my surgeon today and he said all is well. Next appt is Dec 20. Gave me one exercise to do and said it was good I stopped therapy. Will touch base tomorrow after the echo appointment.
 
Hi everybody just checking in. So I had my echo and everything was normal besides the fact that it said my right and left atrium was "mildly dilated". My doctor seems to think it's nothing to worry about because it said 'mildly dilated' and everything else was grossly normal. However I just had a echo last year in March and it was normal and the atria were not dilated so obviously it was a change.

My best friend is a nurse manager at my job and told me that there was nothing wrong with the echo and it may have been an over-read. I have been through a lot but you know anything with your heart is definitely scary and has contributed to my anxiety nonetheless. My physician said she was going to ask the cardiologist if there was a 1mm dilation or a 1 inch dilation, and also to ask them to compare it with the one last year. @Josephine do you know much about this?

I was seriously thinking of not having a big wedding when I got this information. It's like 'not something else Lord I cant take it'. However I decided to put my deposit down and just go ahead with my plans with faith and expectation that everything is fine, will be fine and continue to be fine.

In regards to my dizziness she said that this finding would not contribute to that. She seemed to think I may have sleep apnea after speaking with my fiancée and her and me finding out at the same time that I snore lol. But I cannot get a test because of my restrictions from surgery so that has to be put off for another 6+ months.

On a positive note I got out this weekend multiple times! I have transitioned to one crutch for most of the time. I use my walker when I need to carry a lot of stuff or if I am just a bit tired. We dropped my engagement ring off to be cleaned and I actually went in the store, looked at some wedding bands etc.

I didn't walk around the mall but just to go into the mall and walk to the store was a big step for me. Yesterday we went to pick it up, and to the pet store. I actually walked around the pet store! Man it felt so good to be slightly normal lol. We then went to the grocery store but I stayed in the car. I felt that would be a little much for me. I also did quite a bit of straightening up on Saturday. I was cleaning stuff out because we are rearranging the house bit by bit. So I do see some progress and I am so thankful for that!

So quite an update! I really hope this echo finding is just an over-read. I hope you all are doing well!

Happy Monday!
The Deeve
 
anything with your heart is definitely scary and has contributed to my anxiety nonetheless.
Having just gone through some major cardiac issues I totally agree. Good that you have asked for clarification. Please update us when you get the results.
On a positive note I got out this weekend multiple times!
Well done you! Major milestone! Easy does it - I'm very glad you are pacing yourself.
 
It does feel good to do some "normal" things. It sounds as though you're going about it wisely and listening to your body. I felt it was easy to do things around the house because I could easily take breaks, but when I went out I was all in. It was harder to take breaks. When is the wedding?
 
i am currently on Prilosec but just a 14 day course
Ah, then that's okay. That's actually Omeprazole by another name! But I really think you should be on it more than 14 days. I've been taking it for about 35 years!

@Josephine do you know much about this?
I'm afraid not. I'm an orthopaedic nurse. Never dabbled in cardiology.
 
Thanks @Jaycey i had no idea I will be sure to catch up on your thread! I have an appt Dec 6 with cardiology. So will let you all know how that went.

@KarriB yes it felt good to get out! If I could just shake this icky feeling sometimes I would be doing great! For instance this morning while laying down I felt a little dizzy and my legs were just tingling. My step mom came over nad helped me clean out my second bedroom closet and I didn't really feel like that. Now she just left and now I am laying down feeling the way I did in the morning. So weird. I did start my period and it's quite heavy. I don't know if that could be contributing to it I just wish it would go away. Feeling like this I really can't drive, or go to far from my house by myself. So I am determined to get this body together. I just wish I had a clue.

@Josephine thanks I am def staying on it longer than 14 days LOL per my doctor.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom