Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Checking in

I found shopping on Amazon to be quite therapeutic, but not so therapeutic to my pocketbook! :heehee:
You're going to get through this difficult time with grace, as you're already showing. You have and will be lifted up in prayer each and every day. I sense a very strong spirit coming from you, which will see you through this difficult time. xoxoxo!!! :console2:
 
Well ladies I have not been feeling well at all. So weird. On the way home from hospital I got like carsick. But before that all I had was a nutrigrain bar...then took all my meds plus infusion. Then carsick, then home ate mcdonalds breakfast and felt a little better. 245 started feeling the same way took all my meds, then did infusion at 330 then attempted to eat chicken noodle soup but couldn't . Felt nauseous and dizzy and just generally blah. Could barely keep my eyes open and was speaking..not short of breath...but speaking exerted a lot of energy for me maybe??? Stomach feels blah..no fever though. Went to bathroom and had to strain so hard because I stopped the Miralax,as because it was making things too soft. So now I'm here about to do last infusion of night and debate on going to ER. Like closing my eyes makes me feel weird. However this is first day I have been out house and in car since surgery. Did anybody else experience these type of don't feel well days @dinsmaum @keepmovin ? @Josephine is it normal to feel like this for so long?

@Cynthia777 thank you as you see I can get all the uplifting I can get as I am scared ...:(

@KarriB amazon is the way to go!!!!
 
I'm so sorry you're not feeling well! I wish I had some answers for you, but unfortunately I don't. I can tell you the only time I took my pain meds without eating three saltine crackers first, I started throwing up even though I had eaten something first. If your symptoms don't improve, it wouldn't hurt to go in just to be safe. Hopefully one of the gals you paged will be along shortly. Please let us know how you're doing tomorrow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Went to bathroom and had to strain so hard because I stopped the Miralax,as because it was making things too soft.
The key to using stool softeners or such, is to adjust them, not start and stop them! If you get a loose day, give it a miss for one or two days and then take only half the amount. You have to find a happy medium.
Like closing my eyes makes me feel weird.
Sounds to me like you are clearly having a reaction to something. I think you ought to speak to someone medical, either in ER or one of your doctors.
 
Hello @McDeeva So sorry to hear about this sudden ill-feeling you are experiencing. I would suggest you immediately call your nurse that has been assigned to your case but if you don't get a quick response, by all means, go to your ER. My first thought is the meds and not having sufficient coating in your stomach when taking them but it sounds like you are taking them with food.

Another reason may be the constipation. If you do get too backed up, you will begin to feel very ill. It has happen to me. I would not stop using the Mirralox until your body is well regulated to the meds, which it sounds like it's not. I continued with the Mirralox with prune juice for quite a while but scaled back the amount. Like Josephine instructed, no need to take the full dose, half will do for maintenance.

You wrote this yesterday so I'm hoping you are getting the help you need by now.

I'm very encouraged by your progress, though. Going back to work with the spacer would have been impossible for me so you must be one strong and determined young lady! Keep up the positive thoughts!:SUNsmile:

Hugs!:)
 
As soon as I started on two different antibiotics there was no longer a bathroom issue and I went off the laxative and softeners. Hope you're feeling better today.
 
Hey everybody!!

I did go to the ER as there was some concern about a blood clot and thank goodness all tests were negative!!:cheers::yes!::happydance::yay:

I am feeling back to myself as I think it was constipation mixed with not enough water and just maybe doing a lot. I have restarted miralax, and I like that idea @keepmovin of mixing it in prune juice! Thanks @Josephine for the stool softener lesson lol!! I sure needed it!!

So I a going home tomorrow!! I am so happy yet kind of nervous. I know I will be fine. I will def miss my dad for sure but he will come see me at my house. This whole ordeal is so tiring because on top of everything else I still have this foot drop.:what::bawl::beg:Please everybody pray for my foot to recover! Can you imagine dealing with the spacer **** on top of having a numb right foot! It's bananas and very difficult to deal with. I am wearing a brace during the day that I cannot find a suitable shoe for so it is wrapped up in a ace bandage. Then at night I wear a lanard boot which is so uncomfortable. So toe touch weight bearing on a leg with a foot with nerve issues. Just unbelievable.

I am trying to stay positive and think of things like showering, and my family is having a Mexican fiesta at my house tomorrow to welcome me home and to wish my brother a happy birthday. I will prob be sleep in the. Ed while they are celebrating lol. This is such an exhausting journey..depressing and emotional...sheesh. But this too shall pass. It will pass. It will pass.

I will be 3 weeks post op on Thursday already I can't believe it. I just hope time keeps flying and my foot comes back. We are all optimistic and hopeful....:beg::beg::beg:

@keepmovin i am going to be working from home so no physical working besides typing and using my brain. Just me and my laptop considering I am not going to be doing too much anyways I may as well work a little and extend my sick time at that. I will prob start off 2 days a week a couple hours then work my way up. I could not imagine going anywhere with this spacer. I exert enough energy going to the bathroom nevertheless out the house to work lol

Thanks @KarriB and @Cynthia777 I think me not eating before taking meds had a lot to do with it also. I don't make that rookie mistake anymore lol.

Just wantEd to touch base with you all...thank you for your concern and advice it is much appreciated!!:friends::friends:

The Deeve
 
Phew! I was quit worried about you! No, I can't even begin to imagine having to deal with the foot drop on top of the infection! Breaks my heart for you dear friend and as always, you are in my daily prayers. You can get through this with His strength. BIG HUGS! :console2:
 
Dehydration can cause all sorts of problems, personally I become extremely nauseous when I haven't had enough water, especially in the heat of summer. I hope you enjoy being home, among your own things. There is no place like home. I'll be praying for some improvement in that foot of yours. I ended up with plantar fasciitis after my TKR from sitting with m leg/foot in one position for so long which shortened the fascia. It's like a house rehab, you start one project and end up with 10 more!
 
Hi @McDeeva, so glad you are feeling better. Working part time at home is a very good idea! You will feel more normal and the feeling of accomplishing a goal will also lift your spirits. It helped me tremendously to have a goal each day to plan and complete, however small it was!

If it wasn't for the foot drop, you would be progressing wonderfully with the spacer. The foot drop weighs heavily on day to day progress similar to my nerve pain which was relentless. If it wasn't for that nerve issue, the spacer time would have been tolerable.

But, it did disappear once I had the second surgery and what a relief it was! I will pray that you have the same outcome! Keep doing what you are doing - you are an inspiration to all who go through this!:flwrysmile:

Hugs and blessings,
 
Hi everyone!!

I am so happy to be home!! My occupational therapist showed us how to fit the elevated toilet seat into our walk in shower to double as a shower chair! So I am able to sit down and wash up thank goodness!! So it's been a whirlwind of nurses and therapist. My neighbors have been so kind, and me and the hubby are just....adjusting. They came and put kinesiology tape on my foot today, but it was having trouble sticking so they told me not to get it wet. So..I will have Saran Wrap around my arm...and a garbage bag on my leg. My hubby said what type of shower is that lol:chinstroke::doh:im like the best one I can get at this point.

So each day is like...you know tick ticking away. @keepmovin i am hoping and praying that when I have the second surgery I will wake up and my foot is working properly. I'm really praying :beg::beg:

@KarriB i have increased my water and I can def see a difference! I am going to keep that up for sure!!

Oh how did you all protect your PICC lines in the shower @keepmovin @dinsmaum ???

Talk to you all soon:flwrysmile:

The Deeve
 
I used 2 layers of cling wrap for my PICC line and used the hand held shower head so the water wasn't directly hitting my arm.

I'm glad the water is helping!
 
@McDeeva I was able to get my bandage/picc line wet so the shower was never a problem. I guess I had some water-proof adhesive contrary to what other people had. Go by what @KarriB suggests if yours is not water-proof. So glad you are home and comfortable!
 
Hi everybody!

Man I have missed you all! I have thought about you often...I have just been so busy adjusting that I haven't had a chance to type.
@keepmovin and @KarriB thanks for the input, I just wrap it with cling wrap and some medical tape and keep it pushing lol!
So where to begin? Being at home is great! My fiancée gets up early enough to do my exercises for me, packs my lunch for the day and takes the dog to daycare! So I have a cooler in the bed with me packed with goodies for the day! By the time I look up its like 3 pm and he is home by 6!

However I have not been alone a lot! I have more support than I thought and I am so grateful. The neighbor is helping with the dog, my step mom came and cleaned the bathrooms, my sister in law went grocery shopping for me and helped me get some shoes for the AFO brace..my friends keep me uplifted spiritually..and I started back to work yesterday! I am working like 2-3 hours a day to start and its going good and feels good to be back to work.

Last week I was getting into the shower and leaned on the towel rack and the towel rack broke and I almost feel! I was so shaken up! Thank goodness my fiancée was behind me and I caught myself on the walker. I kinda jarred my leg a little bit and it hurt for awhile. I just broke down...I had been so emotional. So I learned to def not depend on any racks for support again!
My pain is ok...its the worse in the morning. I normally take 2 oxys at 7am then don't take anymore until about 2pm. My foot seems to be getting better..I have much more range of motion and feeling in it then before. It seems its improving every day.

Labs are normal with the antibiotics. So it looks like the infection and inflammation is at a normal place. My apt with my surgeon is 8/16 and then I am scheduled to stop the antibiotics 8/19.I then see ID 09/06. So its just a waiting game it seems. I think the most nerve wracking thing is to hope the infection is gone so you can just..move on to recovery and stuff. Its just...a really tiring and humbling experience.

Hi @Josephine ! My surgeon mentioned the next implant will be a dual mobility implant. Do you know what that means or have heard anything about it?

I hope you all are well! I will be logging on more now that I am on my computer so talk to you later!

The Deeve
 
You are right, fighting an infection like this is tiring, humbling, and emotionally exhausting. But it sounds like you are having some good days. Support is very important, so I'm glad friends and family are stepping in for you. ?earning how to except help can be difficult, but necessary. My mind was always on the knee, the infection and the meds going where they needed to go to treat the infection.

I'm happy to hear your foot is improving. When it's back to normal that'll be one more worry gone. So good to hear from you!
 
It's just a type of device where the femoral head has articulation on the neck and also articulation in the cup so there are two planes of movement.

[Bonesmart.org] Checking in
 
Hi everyone!
I hope you all are well! I am hanging in there...taking one day at a time. I seem to have gotten into a disjointed (no pun intended LOL) everyday rhythm. I can tell my body is getting stronger, however its a fine balance as my mind wants to do more than what my body will allow. The spacer is hanging in there, seems to be a little more painful when I roll over at night but that's about it. The drop foot is making amazing strides. I can wiggle my toes, and flex my foot more now, however it is not back at 100%. I still have home PT 3X a week for the foot and it is really helping a lot.

I have been journaling a lot, writing Bible scriptures down and then an accommodating prayer. Seems to be working for me and my mood as I was struggling some weeks ago (hence my absence from this site). The dog stays home with me about 3X a week as we got her some stairs so she can go up and down the bed lol (the neighbor takes her out). My sister in law is unemployed at the moment, so I give her a few dollars a week to come clean my house so the hubby doesn't have too. We meal prep on sundays, make a crockpot meal that lasts for 4 days and also a big bowl of tuna fish or chicken salad. So its a...new normal to say the least and we are just pushing on.

Good news! The antibiotics stop tomorrow!! OMG can you believe it! Its already been 6 weeks! My last infusion is tomorrow at 9pm, and then the nurse comes to my house Saturday and pulls the PICC at 10am. I am so ecstatic. Its like one barrier knocked down!

My aspiration and infectious disease appointment is scheduled for 09/06. My pre-op is scheduled for 9/20 and my surgery is scheduled for 9/29!!! 6 days after my 33 birthday! What a wonderful birthday gift to have a new start and be pain free!

@KarriB I have to really focus on not thinking about the meds going where they need to be lol. Its so hard. Its almost like mental training to a certain extent. I am really just trying to keep busy and not sweat the small stuff. My motto is hey infection I have stuff to do so get out my body so I can carry on. And just not try to give it any of my energy so it can stay around! I pray on it, and just leave it alone. The stress and worry was really taking a toll on me..my relationship etc. It feels good to be in a better mental place now.

@Josephine thank you I sure hope they put that pretty purple one in me as it is my favorite color lol. Plus its the color of royalty.:)

@Cynthia777 hey love! Thank you for your thoughts and prayers! Please keep them going for me! I am still putting up the good fight! When God is for me nothing can be against me!

I hope you all are in good spirits and doing well. Will check back in soon!

Warm hugs and love!
The Deeve
 
Wow! Six weeks already! Good for you! You seem to be handling things very well! I think I remember you saying you would be working from home. Do you think that helped you pass the time? I'm hoping your blood work shows the infection is gone!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom