Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Checking in

Hi everybody!

I have been thinking about you all but no energy to write. I was in the hospital 6 days! I needed 2 transfusions! I also need my PICC line readjusted, got a CT scan to evaluate for hematoma, and 2 chest X-rays because I almost went to rehab.Then they had me on 300mg of gabapentin 3 times a day and it literally wiped me out. Made me feel as if I was on some type of drug. Slurred speech extreme drowsiness...it was crazy. So I am now on 100mg 3 times a day, and oxycodone as needed which is about 1-2 per. 4-6 hours with a Tylenol. The pain isn't that bad...seems to be worse when I am in a sitting position too long or getting up from sitting position, but I think that's because my bed is a little high and these last 24 hours I have been kinda rushing to make it to the bathroom ...like I am barely making it.

The nurse came today to show me my PICC line. I have to do 3 infusions a day but they are prefilled syringes that take 3-5minutes. I was very relieved. Physical therapy just left. Very basic muscle strengthening exercises and foot drop exercises. Foot drop still present and very annoying and irritating but not like a ...pain. It's like if you fall asleep on your arm and keep shaking it and it doesn't wake up. Ankle cannot flex it upward at all, and when I am toe touching the floor I can't feel the darn floor. Numbness and tingling 24/7.

I have a lanyard boot for bed and a AFO boot for walking (although I am doing none). On top of surgical pain very uncomfortable. I ended up moving my toilet to the bedside because I am urinating like every two hours. @keepmovin didn't this happen to you? I find myself about to become dehydrated because I don't want to drink water because getting up to pee is such a hassle. I do manage to hobble in the bathroom when I have to do number two .

They were thinking about rehab but then told me I was basically too well. As long as I had help at home they said I could go home. I am actually moving pretty good minus the foot drop. I actually had 14 stairs to get up to get to my room and the therapist said she couldn't believe it, and the hospital staff called me creative problem solver lol. However I don't move a lot. Just moving from the bed to the bathroom is exhausting. Like buckets of sweat pouring down my face. I know I better get a six back abs and some buff arms out of this.

@KarriB you are a survivor and so right!

@dinsmaum My dad was watching but I don't think absorbing lol I am kinda grateful I had some medical experience prior to this. They taught me the acronym SASH (saline, antibiotic, saline, heparin). First push is at 5.30 this evening - fingers crossed

So my main issue amongst other things is this foot drop.

Thank you @Josephine for providing that good info about it. Today in therapy I saw my second toe move forward like a smidgen. Like just a little bit but it gave me a glimmer of hope. I am just wondering a million things and one of them is why did I get the surgery but it was a necessity. But I am still so concerned and scared this doesn't just feel like minimal numbness, this is my whole foot that has some sensation on the lateral and anterior sides, some sensation on the bottom, little on the top of foot, none on big toe and none on second toe and minimal on the pinkie toe. I just keep going around and round with the worst case scenario which is not going to help me any. At all.Then it doesn't help that when I saw the therapist she said she doesn't see it often at all.


Honestly all the stuff I am reading online about it is scaring me. My friend told me that the Internet was like Dr Oz. Just throwing out stuff without any evidence that makes you think you are about to die of stray feline arthritis neuralgia knocked knee bow legged slew footed mad cow disease (hey I actually like Dr Oz also)

Oh @dinsmaum, @keepmovin and @KarriB, I am wanting to go home pretty soon...like in 2 weeks or so? I actually live in a one floor condo with a walk in shower etc with no stairs, laundry on one floor etc. My dad lives in a trilevel condo with 14 steps to get up and down the stairs. So needless to say I got up them yesterday and probably won't go down again until my post op appt. That was crazy and so tiring. I am able to get in and out of bed and move pretty good with the walker but my surgeon said he thinks I will be toe touch for almost the whole time. Were you all toe touch the whole time?

So in a nutshell (a big one) that is what's going on with me. And you know like the cloud that's creeping around? Is the fact that I have to go back in 3 months for a repeat replacement. I have to trust my surgeon again. I'm thinking what if it comes back and then. I have surgery and ... you get the picture.

Let me know all of your thoughts and suggestions. While you're doing that please pray that I focus on the positive. The power of life and death lies in the tongue you know. And I am speaking life for all of us and especially into my nerve.

Ciao Bella's,

The Deeve
 
I definitely believe in the power of prayer and believe God healed my infection before I had to have a 3rd surgery. Do you have an infectious disease dr.? He or she would have a visiting nurse do blood draws that would tell how the antibiotics are working and how the infection is coming along.

I wouldn't leave your dad's place until you have to. Your place sounds more conducive for recovery, but I understand needing someone right now. See how you are feeling and how ambulatory you are, if you can do meals or have someone to help with meals, shower, and have some feeling back in that foot it might be a good decision. But if the foot is still an issue I would worry about falling, especially if you're alone.

I pray while swimming my daily laps, so I'll add you to my list. While I was recovering I prayed Ephesians 3:20 " now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than we can think or imagine".
 
Today in therapy I saw my second toe move forward like a smidgen. Like just a little bit but it gave me a glimmer of hope.
That is a very good sign! A glimmer of hope is better than nothing, is it not?
Honestly all the stuff I am reading online about it is scaring me.
Well you know what I'm going to say ................ STOP READING IT! :wink:
 
Hello @McDeeva and Welcome ‘home’! At least home from the hospital!

I have to say, you made me laugh and that’s a good thing. Your spirits sound a bit higher than they were a few days ago which is nice to see. Six days is a very long time to spend in the hospital. You must be so glad to be out of there! You can put that behind you now because I think you have been through the worst of this.

So, yes Gabapentin will make you drowsy in the beginning – I remember that – but your body will adjust a bit. I was on it 2x/day 300 mg. It helped at night with pain and the restless leg issue I had but didn’t like taking it during the day.

I see you have the 3 infusions/day. I used that my first time. The only negative was having to get up so early for the first infusion of the day. I had a 6am, 2pm, 10pm schedule.

Yes! To the uncomfortable pain of the spacer and Yes! To the constant peeing. Sometimes I was up every hour! I tried stopping fluid intake at around 7pm but it didn’t help. You made the right decision to move the toilet close to the bedside.

So glad to see that you managed the stairs! It is quite a workout! It is a great ab workout because you need to use those muscles to help move you around. I worked out my schedule where I went up once in the evening and down once in the morning. That was it! Do you have a walker? I lived by my walker and had a bike basket attached to the front to carry things around. Actually I had two baskets. One on the side, one in the front. I also wore a fanny pack every day for phone and personal stuff.

I am sorry you have to concern yourself with this foot drop on top of everything else. Let’s stay positive because there doesn’t seem to be much you can do about it now. Hopefully, this will work itself out. I agree with Josephine. Stop reading all that stuff on the internet. I find sometimes it will provide you with the worst case scenario with no positive hope. I know you want to go home to your condo and it does sound ideal and easy to get around. But, will you have help there?

I was toe touch the whole time. I put no weight on the leg with the spacer. Not only did I develop strong abs but strong upper body as well. Rest assured, when it’s time for your second surgery, you will welcome it! Compared to what you are going through now, it will be a piece of cake!

So, one day at a time! It will feel slow in the beginning, but time will move on. There may be a number of questions you will have going forward with the spacer so feel free to ask away!

Hugs and Prayers!
 
I agree with Josephine and Debbie, don't look at the Internet. It'll just give you things to worry about and you don't need that. I was back to work before I looked things up on the Internet.
 
Lol I kno I know I am not going to look it up anymore because you all are right it makes everything worse. The infusions are Going way better than I expected so thank you all for helping to calm my initial fears about that!
@KarriB thank you for,praying for me. Today I meditated and shared Mark 9:23 "If you can" said Jesus. Everything is possible for one who believes. Brought me comfort for sure.
It's sooo hard to stay comfortable though. There are only so many ways to lay down with these restrictions and they get old fast lol. I am mainly on my back but with this foot drop they were rolling me slightly on my unopersted side with some pillows wedged behind me and my.leg slightly bent but it's hard to get that way a home. Does anybody have any creative comfy ways to sleep with the precautions that we have/had?! @Josephine do you know of any safe hip precaution comfortable ways of sleeping?

Please let me take this moment to state how much I dislike gabapentin. I'm sure it works wonders and I'm thankful for it but sheesh...make me feel so drowsy and crappy!! @keepmovin it's just a fine line with gabapentin. Like yes please help my nerves but please don't make me feel like I am in a space warp dizzy drowsy etc.

@Cynthia777 let me say those washcloths are a lifesaver thanks for referring the brand. They smell good and leave me feeling clean. I wipe down and up with them one day then the next day I take a nice soapy sit down bath as in sitting in a folding chair with a towel over it in the bathroom and using regular soap lol. I am unable to shower at my dads because he has the shower with the doors and not the curtains on them. So a tub bench is too hard to fit in there at the moment.

@keepmovin yes I will have some help. But I am going to wait a couple weeks until I am a little stronger. My stepmom will plan to come every other day to help wash me up and clean, and I have someone to walk the dog and or she can just go to doggie daycare (albeit expensive but she loves it). Yes I have a walker. I call her Sheila. LOL. so when I'm frustrated I sing in my Prince(RIP) voice "Oh...Oh Sheila...Lol :). I have a basket the hospital gave me now which seems to suffice, where did you get your baskets from? My dad is 67...looks 50 and acts 45 lol But I don't want to stay too long and put a strain on him as I may need to come he for a couple weeks after the next surgery

Another burning issue that is filling my head is my period. Oh my goodness. Not only do I bleed heavy, but it's due in like 7 days. I am utterly confused about what I will do to not make my dads house(which is pretty immaculate) look like a crime scene. I am thinking I will have to wear multiple pads...or...I have no idea.mi can barely open my legs to wash nevertheless changing pads and tampons on a bedside commode. Sorry to get personal but does anybody have any suggestions?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad the infusion went smoothly. Hope you can get comfortable. I'm afraid since I'm a TKR I have no advice in that area.
 
Good morning everyone,

Thanks @KarriB !! Your avatar is beautiful. You look so pretty, and the other young woman looks beautiful too!!❤️
@keepmovin how soon after you got home were you doing the stairs once a day? I am 9 days post op, and 3 days home. Wondering if it's too soon.

My hands hurt so bad from this walker. Like woah. I am going to try to look up some gloves to help. I do have this kinesiology tape on that is holding my foot kinda up. I think it has made minimal difference, but any little bit helps right. It comes off Monday thank goodness with something called detachol that looks like it could eat through a tire lol.

I try to go for a little walk down the hall each day. But between my hands and the foot drop I scurry back to the bed quickly. I have been thinking of investing in a recliner because the next few months it will come in handy.

My fiancée has came over my dads every day after work. He may spend the
Night tonight but I may make him go home. I think it's important for him to hAve some normalcy also and not get all the way caught up in my conundrum. He helps me do my exercises, lotions up my legs and feet and told me that today he will watch lifetime all day with me. I'm a lucky gal.

Someone brought me gerber daisies to the hospital. I think these can be replantedin a pot right? I do not have a green thumb at all. More like blue because every plant I get gets sick and dies lol smh.

I am going to send a picture of all these lovely flowers I have, every time I look at them I dream I am somewhere tropical...smelling coconuts Papaya and salt water taffy. I will be there soon❤️❤️
I hope you all are doing well, and are going to have a wonderful weekend. I am about to start my infusion, then do my first set of exercises.

Staying positive,
The Deeve
 
Hi @McDeeva I also had problems with the walker and pain with my hands. Today I have problems with the palm of my right hand-it is scaly,red and dry. I will be seeing a dermatologist for this soon. So, yes, please protect your palms. You may be using that walker for quite some time.
Regarding the steps, I started the first day home! It took some doing and practice but it became a 'struggled routine ' for me. [emoji19]
The basket I used in front of the walker was a regular bike basket. It was nice and deep-held a lot.
Hope this helps!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@McDeeva
I'm so impressed with your positive attitude as you're going through this difficult time! You will be an inspiration to those who follow you through the infection journey. Your fiancé sounds like a wonderful man and you're both so blessed to have one another. Hugs!
 
@McDeeva You just might get lucky and not have a cycle for a couple of months. I didn't have one at all between December and March, then skipped April also. I had blood transfusions during both of the first 2 surgeries, so I chalked it up to that and stress. When I had that first period in March I was super paranoid because I was always one of those people who used both pads and tampons to avoid the murder scene look. I used 2 pads at a time, and sat on towels too just in case. Don't worry about dealing with all that and the bedside commode too. You will develop more strength and might not need the BSC by then. It's a huge adjustment to go from walking to pulling yourself around with your arms, takes time to get used to it. And once the whole gotta go right now calms down you'll feel better about all this.
 
What an amazing attitude you have! Gives me comfort that even if complications happen, I will handle it.
As far as your period, I haven't tried them, but how about something like this https://www.shethinx.com
I was thinking of ordering some because my periods are so heavy I often leak at night and I'm tired of staining the sheets.

As far as the gabapentin yep, that's what is making your tired and possibly a little foggy brained/forgetful.

My mom was on it for shingles pain. A friend whose mom died of dementia really wanted her to get off it because it made her so forgetful and that really bothered the friend. I finally just told her, I would rather listen to her repeat herself a million times than listen to her moaning and whimpering in pain. So, awful side effects, but worth it in many cases.
 
Hey @Cynthia777 something about you comforts me. I don't know if it's your picture, your words or your spirit I am feeling but thank you nonetheless for the positivity. I am not going to lie I have my good days and my bad days but I'm trying to just take one day at a time and stay positive.

@YoungHippy hi there!! That's what I told my fiancée like maybe I won't have one this month!! But my period is like the Star Wars movie. Every time you think it's over it just keeps coming back with different flows and worse an before :rofsign:
:rotfl:

You are right @YoungHippy its a huge adjustment that is made so much harder with this numb foot which I am happy to report is getting better it seems, still numb and still can't flex it but I feel like I am gaining sensation back.

@OUCH! hi there!!! I am trying my best to stay positive. I do have some bad days though..you know woe is me pity committee president type of feelings..but I try to shake those off and get back to it. For one I can't change the situation. For two being negative sure can't help me healing and that's what I want is to be healed and go on to live my life, I have been dealing with those 3 ugly initials (AVN) and its complications so long in just ready to be done wit it. Like stick a meat thermometer in me test my temperature take me out the oven and let me cool done with it. I am going to check those out thanks for the link.

I wonder if they are going to taper up the gabapentin. I am on a low dose..I guess we will see. My first post op appt is Thursday...can't believe I will be two weeks post op. I am really thinking of going home Sunday. I have been stuck in this bedroom for 4 days. I just feel like me being at home will help my healing. My dad think is I don't need to be by myself though. But for the most part besides the food...I am managing. Got myself dressed, get to the bathroom can get in and out the bed...getting stronger. I will be alone most days from 715-630pm mon-fri. Most of,the time I am in the bed just laying here...the I wil take a walk to the banister and back. That's it. And I. Just thinking if I. Going to lay in the bed all I day I can do it at home.

@dinsmaum i know you went home like a month after your spacer surgery but do you think you could have managed earlier on your own?

Oh did anybody with a PICC line @dinsmaum @keepmovin have a weird feeling in their Chest sometimes. Maybe it's indigestion I'm thinking...I alwayYs. Up when I feel it though...it's like right in the middle to the right. I dunno..the nurse is coming tomorrow so I wil ask her. Sometimes anxiety makes me feel that way also like something is wrong...sigh...this too shall pass.

Hugs and Blessings to everyone,
The Deeve
 
@McDeeva :Sorry for the delay, I was computerless for a bit.
Yes, I did have an odd feeling in my chest sometimes, while I had the picc line in, but have no idea if it was related, or was just another odd post op thing.

I was able to be on my own for long periods of time before I went home. What kept me from going home sooner were the stairs. Once I could sort of manage those, I went home. But I always had to have help, never reached a point where I could go up and down on my own, until after the second surgery. Once up, once down.

And I wouldn't have been able to be alone 24/7, I just got too tired, and there were some things I couldn't safely do. But for long periods of time, yes, I definitely could.

Regarding the walker, I found some velcro cushion like things that wrapped around the handles of the walker, they helped a lot! I can't remember know if I found them on Amazon or a website that has aids for living with disabilities. They weren't very expensive, and helped so very much.

Peeing all of the time, yes! Barely making it in time, and sometimes not, yes! It got better for me right around 3 weeks, so not that much longer if that holds true for you too!

I too dreaded the second surgery, until it reached a point where I was looking forward to it, lol! Because that second surgery means improvement by leaps and bounds, and that steady moving forward!

So glad you are out of the hospital at last! That is a long haul, and you sure went through it! Sounds like you have some good support, and that makes a difference too. Just remember, this is the time when your job is healing, so rest, rest, rest, keep those fluids going ( I know, I know), get what good nutrition you can, and let your body do it's healing thing!
 
Good morning everybody,

@dinsmaum welcome back !! How are you feeling and how is your recovery going?

am going to get some of those Velcro things and some gloves and cream for my hands.

Ok yes that's good to know. I feel ok minus the foot drop issue, so I am thinking of going home on Sunday. We have no stairs. We also have a patio I may be able to get on also. The thought of being outside excites me lol. I def wouldn't be home alone 24/7, and am mapping out breakfast and lunch plans as we speak lol. Through all this I am very thankful for the support from my friends and family. This is my 3rd time and soon to be 4th getting major surgery so God is good and I am choosing to praise him in advance.

Yesterday my brother and his family came and saw me unexpectedly which was nice. My aunt bought me the cutest pajama set but alas...dresses and gowns are the way to go during this time. I'm talking no undies either if you don't have too. We pick up our dog Friday I am so excited. The nurse and physical therapy are coming soon so I will ttyl.

Oh does anybody know exactly why avascular necrosis develops? @Josephine do you have any information?

Hugs,
The Deeve
 
Oh @McDeeva, how sweet of you (blush)! I'm so happy that I can be of some comfort to you dear one! You are in my prayers each and every day. xoxoxo!

AVN can develope from a number of things. It can just happen for reasons unknown, but it most often occurs from steroid use, followed by alcohol consumption, or other blood disorders (like clotting disorders). Hope this helps.
 
Well AVN stands for avascular (bloodless) necrosis (death) and there are a 3 reasons for it:
1. trauma - either a fractured neck of femur (hip) or a problems such as slipped upper femoral epiphysis. This causes a disruption of the blood supply to the femoral head and thus AVN develops.
2. dysplasia (malformed hip)
3. is idiopathic meaning nobody has a clue! Sometimes it just happens.
 
@McDeeva it really will get easier getting around. Before my accident I worked as a CNA, meaning I earned my money picking other people up. Seems to reason I was pretty strong, right? Wrong. I relied on my legs for most of that lifting. When I got my walker in the hospital I had such a hard time hopping along with it. And as hard a time as I had there coming home was a whole nother ballgame. In the hospital they took me to the bathroom door with a wheelchair and I used the walker for the few steps in the bathroom. At home I didn't have the option of using the wheel chair, most of the doorways weren't wide enough for it. And I live in a 200 year old farm house, superwide thresholds between every room etc. Those first few weeks were tough. It would be all I could do to make it to the bathroom and back to my chair. It did get easier as time went by. Not saying it was ever fun, but it did get more manageable, or as manageable as things can get hanging out with a dislocated hip for 4 months.
 
Hi everybody!!
Thanks for all that useful,information about AVN!!

So of course I must have talked up my cycle. Not only did it come, it came like 2 days early and with a vengeance!! smh. So basically I was reduced to using a pull up with an extra heavy pad in there. I had no choice. Should be done with them tomorrow, but honestly the pull up is kinda the bees knees lol. They look like underwear and stuff...I told ,y fiancée I do t want to get used to wearing these they are so convienent, I cut them off and just throw the whole thing away. Awesome sauce...but still a diaper :chinstroke::bawl::dubious:

A couple days ago I thought my PICC line looked funny and had to call out the nurse. Seems it just had picked up some extra epithelial cells and looked gross. So they changed the dressing and all is well. I feel blessed to be able to call,the nurse and they come like right out. Literally in 1-2 hours from when I called. What a blessing!!

Therapy is going good, more so trying to focus on the foot exercises. I had my first post op appt today and it went well. Spacer looks good but it's so far in my leg I was shocked. Repeat appt in 4 weeks. They are really optimistic that my nervewill comeback, but are understanding that they need to,use retractors again for the next surgery. So I am going to reinforce to them That they must be gentle and handle me with care as I do not want the progress with the nerve impeded. They also emphasized how I don't need therapy for,the hip and they are kinda anti therapy anyway (I couldn't wait to share that with you @Josephine ). The therapy is more for the foot drop and that's what I'm focusing on.

They also returned me back to work part time as tolerated. So in another week and a half I will start working a couple hours a day or something. That will not only stretch out my medical time but give me a sense of normalcy :yahoo:

I get my dog back tomorrow, I'm going to be so excited to see her!! Although she will be at doggy daycare during the day at least we can get back into a routine.:puppysmooze:

@YoungHippy yes it is getting a little easier, it's just this darn foot drop. If I didn't have it I would be doing much more. Some irritating and a terrible feeling to have to wear a brace all the time. But I am def stronger and making gains everyday. A dislocated hip for 4 months? Wow that sounds like a lot I'm going to read your journey!! I hope you are on the path to feeling better!!

@Cynthia777 hey friend!! I'm hanging in there. Waiting on all my shipments from Amazon. I ordered foam pads and basket for the walker, 2 removable luxury shower heads, some keen shoes for the leg brace etc, and sending the hubby to Walmart for a couple extra gopher grabbers so I can have them around them house. We also got a magic jack because many people are calling and you know these cellphones aren't always dependable. So I am hanging in there..doing my best with this hand I been dealt. :martini::elevate::tiredwheel::sos::whistle::fingersx::fingersx::flwrysmile:

Will touch base later!!

Hugs to you all!!

The Deeve
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom