Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Checking in

@dinsmaum and @keepmovin thank you so much for all this information! It is a lot to process but I will have much time to read as my surgery is Tomorrow!!! My appt was on Tuesday and they scheduled me immediately. I have been soo busy, not even time to process it. Making arrangements, work stuff, school stuff, dog arrangements just unavailable! But you know what I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! The enemy will not have control over my mind and emotions! Although things are happening fast God did not give me a spirit of fear or defeat! I decree and declare By His Stripes I am healed! I have decided t make the choice to just be positive and put it in Gods hands. There is literally nothing I can do about it but pray for Him to guide the doctors hands. Lord knows I am in need of intercession right now! I am fighting the fear and uncertainty the best way I can! Its so hard though!

So tomorrow at about 1230 I will have the surgery. Dropping my dog off at 7pm to the sitters because ironically me and my fiancée were leaving for Chicago tomorrow! Oh what a difference a week makes! But look at God working already, made it so we not only already had the time off, but had already made arrangements for our dog! Her name is Trudi-Mae she is 1.5 yr old Shorkie! So full of spunk and love! It was bittersweet this morning making her out because I realized I wont be able to walk her for quite awhile.

I spoke to my manager today and he was very nice! I am really blessed to have a supportive job as they have been through this with me 2 times and this will be the 3rd, with the 4th coming up after that spacer is out. Filled out FMLA paperwork etc...it just sucks because my fiancée wont be able to take off a lot of time because we are not married yet! Hopefully friends and family will fill in the gap! I feel kinda like aburden though. Sigh...

So the surgeon said I will be able to be weight bearing pretty good. They are making the cement spacer in the operating room as many have stated. He said if all goes well with the explant I should be ok enough to work from home some which I was very happy with. Working will give me some sense of normalcy you know? IF I am just laying in the bed hey I may as well try to extend these benefits....well at least when I am not on narcotic medicine as I work in the healthcare industry and do not want it effecting my decision making.

Yesterday me and the hubby went and got keys made, went to Walmart and big lots. I bought a elevated toilet set but realized I should put through to my insurance. I also got a computer chair that sits up like 3 feet as many chairs and the couch in my house are low. At big lots I got an adult coloring book and a journal! I also got some night gowns, and a packet of hanes undies because sorry I am not wearing my Victoria Secrets to the hospital LOL!

So today I am working at 1000%!! After work I need to go to the nail shop to get this shellac off my nails. Then we drop the dog off at 7pm then come home and get the finishing touches before tomorrow (EEK).

I feel like no matter how much preparing I do I am unprepared. But you know what when you think nobody is there God sends people like all of you for encouragement and support! I am very thankful for this forum to express myself with people who have gone or are going through what I am about to embark on. So sorry for this rant! So please if you can uplift me in prayer! hugs and blessings to you all!
 
Oh and I did forget to post my questions lol! I am moving so fast!

@keepmovin and @dinsmaum how long were you unable to shower? Did you have to use an elevated toilet seat? How long before you were able to manage on your own for a good amount of time? Do any of you have pets? What did you do with them during this time? When Trudi gets back next week we will send her to daycare 3times a week.

How long were you both in the hospital after the spacer surgery? And then after that how long before you felt ok enough to be on the computer etc.? Just trying to anticipate when and if I will be able to work from home.

Thanks for all your help with this! hugs
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You will be in my thoughts and prayers today! Everything will go fine, I am sure!
To answer some of your questions:
Shower - Once the incision was closed, I could shower...I actually forget after my spacer but I do remember I was in no shape to get one for quite a while. Sponge bathing was it for a while.
Raised toilet seat - yes!! Absolutely!
Managed on my own - My husband went to work each day so I was by myself pretty much all day. I had the house well prepared so I could manage on my own.
Pets - We had no pets during this time but I don't think it would have been easy to care for one during the spacer period.
Hospital stay - I was in for 4 days with the spacer and in a private room.
Computer use - Pretty much immediately!

We can answer more questions when you are out of surgery!:friends::prayer:
 
@McDeeva : I didn't see this in time to wish you good luck, but will sure be thinking of you as you recover!

Shower: It wasn't that long, but surprisingly I don't remember that well. Will ask my sister next time I talk to her, as she is the one who helped me that first time. I do remember it was much sooner than I thought it would be. I was unable to get in or out of the step in shower myself though.

Raised toilet seat: Yes! At 3 weeks post op I am still using it, and plan to for some time to come!

Pets: We have an older but energetic dog. I was at my Dad's condo for the first month or so, because it was all on one floor, step in shower, etc. So by the time I came home, I was fine to be with the dog. This time, for stage 2, he went to a friend's for the first week I was home. You need to evaluate if your puppy is a frisky under-foot-er, likely to trip you up, or if caring for him/her while you are home alone is going to be problematic. Remember, you won't be able to bend over to fill food dishes, clean up messes, etc.
Hospital stay: Tuesday through Saturday morning for stage 1, Tuesday through Friday morning for stage 2.

Computer: casual use, right away. I did little writing for awhile though, while on the stronger meds. Didn't want to be "messaging while high!" LOL

Working: okay, just my experience, so yours may be completely different, but I was not able to work in between, even though I had hoped to. Far, far, far too tired, and for me, the anesthesia effect left me fuzzy headed for a few weeks, and the antibiotics made me pretty sick. That is not all that common, I think, so hopefully you won't have that issue. It will also depend on what you do! :)

I am looking forward to hearing how you are doing when you are up to it!
 
Hi everybody!

Thank you so much for your well wishes and prayers. I made it through surgery but my foot is like numb! My nerves or something got messed up...I think the sciatic nerve? So I can press the gas pedal but not flex my toes up. They said the feeling will come back and I am seeing a little progress but I am so concerned!

They had to do a partial osteotomy to get the implant out so looks like non weight bearing for like 2 weeks! I may have to go to rehab they don't know yet. Please pray for me y'all. @Josephine is this numbness normal?

@keepmovin Didn't you go through something similar with feeling paralysed after surgery?

@dinsmaum thanks for info will re read and respond later still groggy.

Thanks @Cynthia777 and @Hip Hip Hooray! For the prayers and good thoughts!
 
Hello, @McDeeva, wishing you the best during the challenging spacer part of this process. I have no experience with what you are going through, but wanted to send some positive vibrations your way! I get how concerned you must be.
 
Apologies @Josephine I have had the worst day ever. I have like a foot drop or something! My right foot is very numb..feels like dead weight. Can't flex foot up and flexing down is jerky spastic movements I thought it was paralyzed when I woke up.

So now I am worried my foot will never be the same. And I had 2 IVs and a PICC line installed, a CT scan and now have to have a transfusion! I can't believe it. I have never had a transfusion in my life. Sitting here very sad and dejected.

What if my feeling doesn't come back in my foot? It's really inhibiting my progress. The CAT scan said no hematoma was pushing up against nerve. My scar is much longer than expected since they had to dig down deep. Really rough day y'all...im so sad.

@Josephine have you heard of people with THR foot drop regaining their feeling? I am only one day post op...sigh
 
I'm sorry you've had such a rough day,@McDeeva. I believe you will heal. Please try not to worry. I'm glad you made it through the surgery. I'm sorry you have to have a transfusion. I know that is a fear we all have. I am saying prayers for you. Take care.
 
Mcdeeva I'm sorry you are going through this. I to have been though the same thing about a two years ago I had my left hip replaced and by my two week check in my leg had MRSA really bad. It took four surgeries taking the implant in and out with antibiotics spacer the PICC line. But after the last surgery it was all OK. I know how hard and stressful this is but we are all sending good peaceful vibes your way. God bless and take care.:welome::hi::friends::flwrysmile::SUNsmile:
 
@McDeeva I am so sorry to hear that things didn't go smoothly with this first stage. My heart sank when I read your posts. I can understand and empathize your concern with the foot drop complication. This must be very scary for you. I don't know much about this but understand this to be a possible complication with THR/revisions involving the sciatic nerve. I'll let Josephine or one of the moderators chime in for a professional opinion on this. I see you have already tagged her.

What is the reason for the osteotomy and transfusion? Does this have something to do with this complication?

I had nerve pain for 3 months with my spacer. It was horrible and painful because it was 24/7. I had no damage done and once the new hip went in, the pain disappeared. I was on heavy pain meds because of this.

I pray that this will get resolved for you quickly. Besides your fiance, do you have family/friends around to help you?
Hugs and prayers,

:prayer::console2:
 
What is the reason for the osteotomy and transfusion? Does this have something to do with this complication?
@keepmovin It's not the usual kind of osteotomy where the bone is cut through. They must have had difficulties getting the stem out so they would cut a small window in the shaft of the femur about 1-2" below the end of the stem and knock it up from there. The square of bone they cut out would be tapped back into the hole it left so it would grow back in.

As for the transfusion, the operation was obviously a lot longer and more invasive than usual so her blood loss was greater. Ergo, the need for a transfusion.
My scar is much longer than expected since they had to dig down deep.
Which confirms what I said before.

I have like a foot drop. My right foot is very numb..feels like dead weight. I thought it was paralyzed when I woke up. So now I am worried my foot will never be the same. What if my feeling doesn't come back in my foot? Josephine, have you heard of people with THR foot drop regaining their feeling? I am only one day post op...sigh
It's even more simple than you realise, McDeeva. It's really not that uncommon for such a protracted and demanding procedure to end up causing a little foot drop. And one day out is awfully early to be despairing about it never recovering! True it might last a week, or several weeks but it will more than likely recovery and sometimes does so quite suddenly, so be positive!
 
@McDeeva : Everything feels so much more intense these first days! You have definitely had a very rough day! Listen to Josephine! This will all get better.

Just for sharing info, I had transfusions with 2 of my 4 hip surgeries. The first time I was still in OR, and only know because the surgeon told me. The second time was with the Stage 1 surgery. I will tell you what; I felt *so* much better after that transfusion! It was like magic. I was very grateful. I am still super anemic from these 2 surgeries, but not enough so to warrant a transfusion, but this fatigue is so draining that if it were offered, I would take it! Much as you wish you didn't need one, hopefully you will feel considerably better after!

You are going to feel so much better in just a few days even. Hang in there, and rest, and drink your water, and ask all the questions of staff you need to! :SUNsmile:
 
Good morning everyone,

Well still in the hospital. Still have numb foot that I just drag on the walker. I am able to go to bathroom with walker, but have not actually tried anything else due to all the issues the past few days.

Yes @Josephine they could not get the stem out as easily as they thought so they had to dig it out. My surgeon said the hip would have given me like 30+years, it was good, but the infection necessitated it to come out.

I am not in excruciating pain from the surgery at the most its been like a 5 or 6 and that's because they have me on my left side with the right knee flexed a bit to try to relieve pressure on that nerve. And this position hurts.

When I first came out of surgery I was asking for Tylenol. So day 3 post op and the mental anguish is excruciating. Yesterday was really rough I broke down so bad, then my dad broke down and it was so hard for me to understand he was so concerned about me. I have to remain positive just so I don't stress out everybody around me.

So now the issue is home or rehab. My dad's house has 12 steps to get upstairs to the landing. But PT has worked with me one time took me out the room to walk then brought me back. Today we will try the stairs and the car but I am in pain when I try to bend etc so I don't know. I am toe touch only which is exhausting.

This foot thing is crazy and I just feel terrible because not only is it numb and not working right, but there is nothing to do about it besides time I guess . I'm so sad y'all.

So much more to write but I'm running out of steam will be back later.
 
I am not in excruciating pain from the surgery at the most its been like a 5 or 6 and that's because they have me on my left side with the right knee flexed a bit to try to relieve pressure on that nerve. And this position hurts.
And does this stretch help? I can't imagine it does because that pain would be almost indistinguishable from the surgical pain and that I know will not be helped with that!
When I first came out of surgery I was asking for Tylenol.
Is that all you are taking? Nothing stronger?
My dad's house has 12 steps to get upstairs to the landing. But PT has worked with me one time took me out the room to walk then brought me back. Today we will try the stairs and the car but I am in pain when I try to bend etc so I don't know.
We have a really good Youtube about getting into and out of a car after a hip surgery but I can't find it just now so I've asked my ladies who excell at searching these things out to find it for me and post it for you. I think you'll find it very helpful.
 
@McDeeva
I'm so sorry you're having a difficult time! :sorry:
Would you be able to go to the rehab center for a few days (longer if you like it)? My aunt, a friend of mine and one of our members (@Nana757) went to rehab and were very happy they did. With the foot drop issue, maybe they would be able to help you prepare more for your home recovery. If you decide on rehab, make sure the rehab center has good reviews. I think with the toe touch weight bearing and the foot drop, I'd choose to go to rehab, but of course that's just my thoughts on it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom