Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Checking in

@McDeeva Unfortunately I did not find out about my cardiac problems until recently so they won't be on any of my THR threads. But I did have problems with dizziness and tingling post both ops. All gone now but it's only due to cardiac treatment.

Do you have a cardiology specialist? I am not a medical expert but perhaps focusing on the heart issues might resolve some of this. Hope things ease for you soon!
 
Hi @Jaycey I see cardiology Dec 6. But the PCP and the cardiologist said that they weren't particularly concerned which concerned me lol. Like there may be no treatment that they give me so I guess I will have to wait and see. If you don't mind me asking what cardiac issues did you have and what treatment did you receive? If you want to PM me that's fine too!
 
Had to have 3 stents put into the main artery to my heart. It was 95% blocked but I had been active and just a bit out of breath and slight chest tightness. One of life's little surprises!

It's all inherited in my case. My Father died at age 68 from a massive heart attack and I remember him having chest pain nearly all his life.

They know so much more about heart issues and treatments these days. I am certain they will treat you if needed. Please keep us updated!
 
Oh wow thanks @Jaycey !! I am sure glad they found what was going on and got those stents in! I will def let you know what's going on after my appt! How did they figure out that you needed a stent? How far after surgery was this?
 
I was having tightness in the chest on exertion. I really thought it was because after 2 THRs and spinal surgery I was just not fit at all. But then the tightness started to include nausea, sweating and breathlessness. My GP sent me to a cardio specialist who said I need not bother with a stress test due to my family history. He sent me to have an angiogram and they would not even let me go home after it. I had to stay in hospital 7 days before they could find a slot for me for the stenting. The wait was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. This all happened in July this year so almost 2 years post RTHR.
 
Wow @Jaycey that sounds like an experience for sure! I a glad you got treatment and your symptoms subsided. I really need to,work on my anxiety. I really think I need counseling. It sucks because I can't drive as of yet but I am determined to get there. It's like I am not depressed but I have sever anxiety if that makes any sense. It is truly impeding my life and any progress that I want to make I. My recovery. It's amazing how powerful our brains are. I can't wait to conquer this. I have stuff to do. Sometimes I think I'm weak because of this anxiety issue, it then realize what I have been through and how strong I am. I have a serious case of PTSD that I can't wait to shake. Peace be still
 
It's like I am not depressed but I have severe anxiety if that makes any sense.
Totally makes sense! PTSD is a serious problem for many and it's causes aren't always understood.
I really think I need counseling.
Go for it! You have been through a lot. Sometimes just talking to someone about an experience can help to ease the anxiety.
 
I don't know @KarriB it could be. Before this happened I had a low level of anxiety already. My doctor prescribed me Zoloft but I am so scared to start taking it because of the side effects.
 
This won't help you, but any anxiety I had has been taken care of by retiring. :heehee: I think it can't hurt to talk to someone. Are you anxious about leaving the house or about the infection returning? I worried about this because I spent so much time in the house the winter of my TKR.
 
Hello McDeeva, I recently joined the site and Jaycey recommended reading your post. O my god, you have been though so much. You are such a strong girl, I have no doubt you can conquer anything that comes you way. Congratulations on you upcoming wedding, 2017 is going to be a much better year. Stay strong and prayers to you!
Mike
 
Hi Everyone! I have missed you all so much! Things are going ok for me.

@KarriB My anxiety has waned tremendously! I started counselling and that has helped a lot. I also am driving now. It feels good to take myself to my own appointments and not have to be so dependent. I am still on crutches though. My hip is just soo weak.

I had my 3 month check up last week and all is well. My restrictions are up this Friday! Woohoo! I also started outpatient PT to get some moves I can do to increase my strength because my leg is just so weak, I still have a limp.

Let's see I start back school next month, and plan on physically going back to work at the end of next month. So definitely progressing in the right direction.

The only major issue I have is back pain. I am talking bad when I lay down. I also feel a lump on my lower back on the left side. Unbelievable. I am like dang as soon as I cross one mountain here is another one looking me right in the face lol. Oy vey. They think it's because of everything that has happened over the past few months that my body is all off kilter etc and that hopefully it gets better the stronger I get.

@Josephine and @Jamie do many people have back pain after THR? I know my case is different..I literally limped for months and the whole non weight bearing thing...I just think it really jacked me up. I have not had any imaging tests or anything. It only hurts when I lay down not when I am up moving. I have that tingling also that only happens when I am sitting/laying down so I think something is trapped in my back. I cant take any NSAIDS either. Does anybody have a recommendation of what to take to reduce inflammation if I cannot take NSAIDS?

I hope all is well with you all and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! All the best for a Blessed New Year!

The Deeve
 
I don't know about hips, but many TKRs experience back pain afterward. For some it's because everything was off kilter and it takes our bodies a while to straighten things out. I'm happy to hear things are going well and you're driving. Even though I wasn't non-weight bearing, the immbolizer left my leg weak. It took a few months and PT to gain strength back in that leg.
 
The only major issue I have is back pain. I am talking bad when I lay down. I also feel a lump on my lower back on the left side.
When you said lump, I though "I know what that is!" because I've had it myself!

Is the lump about here?
[Bonesmart.org] Checking in


If so, then it's the dreaded Trochanteric bursitis which can be sorted out using nothing more sophisticated than an cortisone injection!

The other thing that often goes hand in hand with TB is another condition called Piriformis syndrome. This can very effectively ape back pain and give symptoms very like sciatica because the sciatic nerve is being pressed on by the piriformis muscle in spasm. But read the two articles, there are images that will explain things much more clearly.

But the good news is that if you do manage to get the cortisone injection into the TB, then it will also sort out the piriformis issue too! I've actually had this done twice over the last few years so I can assure you this is so.

In the meantime. I suggest you get a really big ice pack and sit on it where you are getting the pain in your buttock. Sheer bliss!
 
Hi everyone long time no talk too! I just wanted to give you all an update.

I am trekking along! Off all assistive devices yay! I still have a little limp when I get up but I am working on that. Going to the gym and wedding planning! Back to work and school full time!

Still sometimes get dizzy, I started taking Vitb12 and magnesium and that helped so I am just praying about it and keeping it moving! I think the dizziness may be my body getting back from all that surgery! I had 2 serious surgeries in such a short amount of time I feel like my body has been shell shocked or something.

I go for my 6 month xrays later on this month! I still get sore and some pain due to all this metal and the fact I have this long rod down my leg. My echo was pretty normal besides it said that my atria were mildly dilated which they think is incidental or really nothing to worry about because it could have been how they tech took the pictures. They said everything else was normal.

I also have to be evaluated for sleep apnea next week. I still ice, but I am bummed that I cant take any NSAID because they mess up my stomach. So Tylenol it is for me, and if i am having a real bad day then I do something a little stronger.

@Josephine thanks but it was my back not the hip that was causing me issues! It was because I had been on a cane and crutch for so long. So I started getting massages and that has helped so much. So I am just going along..trying to find a new normal after this ordeal.

I also am still in counselling for PTSD for this journey and Man what a journey! I look back on all that I have been through and I could not have done it without you smart people! I appreciate you so much! Hugs and love to you all!

The Deeve
 
@McDeeva so good to hear from you. Glad you are doing well. Yes, your recovery has been quite a journey. But sometimes these things aren't simple. Well done for persevering! Things will continue to improve my friend. Just keep doing what you are doing!
 
So happy to hear this, @McDeeva! You have been through the worst, and have come through. You are an inspiration to us all!
 
Good to hear you're basically back to a normal life or school, work and wedding plans. Infections are scary and can take awhile, but coming out the other side is exhilarating. Yay for you! :yes:
 
It's great to hear about so much forward motion, McDeeva. And a wedding! Hurray for weddings!

Sharon
 
Hi everyone!
I was just coming in to say hello!! I am doing good after the surgeries for my infection/spacer etc. I am now about 2 years from the initial diagnosis and surgery, and about 22 months from the permanent hip surgery. Most days I am doing well! Some days I get some soreness and pain but it usually subsides after a bit. I went for a check up in March and everything was good and they said I didn't have to come back for 5 years!!!

Mentally I am doing better but still get anxiety when my hip hurts. It has been sore for a few days now so I'm like is the infection back etc. It's just some PTSD as I know the infection did not come back and everything is fine.

I still walk sometimes with a little limp especially after standing up. Because either had to have an osteotomy,my surgeon said it will take awhile for me to fully recover. I walk with no aids, and I did manage to get married last year and was able to walk down the aidle! I just wanted to come in and say hello to everyone! You all helped me so much and I will never forgotten you all!!
Love,
Deeve
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom