THR Chappyd's recovery story

Fear of pain is as bad as pain itself, and it scares us off of the operative leg. I went through the same thing with a broken heel ages ago. It was totally healed, but I didn't trust it at first.

Day by day.
Yep. Honestly for me the fear of it is greater. The PT gal is great, big sense of humor, doesn't want me to anything I'm not comfortable with pain wise, but at the same time wants me dipping my toes in the water, ie; "put some weight on it" . She said I won't break it, the Dr. does a twirling baton kind of motion with the leg when he's done to make sure everything is going to work. She has a way with words, lol.

It sounds like you're doing well @Chappyd and it will feel good to get in your own bed tonight!

I must say as this day has worn on, I am feeling better, almost to the point of where I need to start being careful how I move. I am still walker bound for sure, but I can seem to get comfortable here at my computer, the kitchen table, or my recliner. I am able to get up easier, and move about pretty freely with my walker. Hopefully the bed will be the same tonight.!

I might even get a reasonable nights sleep. Wouldn't that be awesome!:roseshwr:

Great update.:tada:
Better and better..
Sleeping all night took a bit for me.
Hopefully you'll get some straight hours through, but if not...make sure you get in those power naps.:yawn:

The bed thing only worked for a few hours. I discovered I could do heel slides easily, however I wasn't ready to sleep on my good side, even with a pillow between my legs. Getting up out of the recliner was much easier and the ice was down there as well. So sleep is becoming a bit elusive, tired during the day, up at night. The other thing that seems strange is time- I really can't believe this is only day five!
More milestones did a couple trips up and downstairs on my own. Did some walking with my cane, took a shower and doing small tasks in the kitchen. :dogwalk:. It's coming puppy!

I'm starting to think we should have a midnight chat session for all of us night owls. We nap during the day, some of us too uncomfortable to sleep at night, I've always just been a "wanderer" in the middle of the night, others plagued by pain and then the almighty bathroom trips. It sounds like you're doing good though and all those milestones really do count! Actual "time" does seem distorted in recovery though. I bet your puppies are certainly glad to have you home! :puppysmooze:

While we don't really allow endless "chat" on BoneSmart like you might find on Facebook, we do have a thread in the Social Room for night owls to talk about their recoveries in the wee hours:

Sleepless in BoneSmart Land

It's fine to gather there and chat about other things in your life too, but just be sure to not get too carried away and mention your joints and their progress every now and then....:heehee:.

Another pretty good day here. Did a bunch of walking around using just my cane. I find it really amazing how well it works. I mean if I try to get around with nothing, it's very hard to do anything but struggle. With just a little bit of weight on the cane, it's like I can walk almost just fine . Weird. going to spend the night in the recliner I think.

Forgive me if I mentioned this somewhere else before, but I didn't see mention of it in this thread. Here's another good surgery story for you all. When they first put my shoes on after, the right one felt funny, like the sole was tilted or something. I just remember thinking that's weird. When the PA came by, I mentioned it to him, and he said oh yeah, the Doc straightened your leg out- it was turned out a bit. I was taken aback- I looked down at my feet, and sure enough my 2 feet were parallel to each other. The sensation of it being different went away almost immediately. I have a closet full of shoes with funny wear on the soles of the right shoe! I never even thought about it prior to the surgery! maybe he's been doing this so long he just does as a matter of best practice. I mean, once your leg is free of the hip joint, they must use some form of reference for setting the new parts.

:what: :)

Interesting. I haven't taken the time to look at the shoes I have been wearing most the last few years. You do sound like you're making very good progress. I have tried a few steps with the cane but could tell I wasn't ready. I was told I gained a full inch in the op leg but oddly I don't really feel it when I'm walking.

I’ve heard that it’s important to get new sneakers and such after joint replacement because weight distribution could be different... but that is something else! Isn’t it just crazy?!
Before my TKR, I couldn’t get my feet closer than 6 inches apart because I was so knock-kneed!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I was told I gained a full inch in the op leg but oddly I don't really feel it when I'm walking.
I also have the sensation of the operated leg being a little bit longer. I'll pay more attention to that today to see if it still seems that way.

Finally spent the entire night in bed last night. Had a couple good stretches of a few hours each. And I was able to sleep on the non-op side using a pillow too! Exciting times! :egypdance:. I also started using the cane more and more, and ended up parking the walker for the time being with PT's blessing. Luckily the weather is really wet this weekend, so it will be difficult to overdo it. Once the weather turns nice I'll try a little outside. I'm getting bored with the TV and the computer. I tried to login into work just for something to do, and that didn't work. The IT guy must be experimenting again.....

Less than a week out...and look at you.:happydance:
I know these little things sound sort of trivial ...but when you figure our femer was sawed off...new tierod and ball joint put in...our bodies ARE simply amazing.
Slow and steady does win this race so take it easy, friend.:ok:

Thanks Mojo333. It has been Amazing so far. And you're right- and what really shook me going in- My Dr. took a major part of my frame and replaced it with some part someone made in a machine shop! I feel like I am farther along than I expected to be sure, and I can easily see how easy it would be to just "go" and join the ODIC. It was like every day I just felt better without having done anything to make it happen.

Reality check here- my leg and muscles are still pretty swollen, I've already iced & elevated twice today, and will probably do so 2 more times today. I've only been in my bed one night since the operation. I still have a minimum of 5 weeks off work. I still have to do all my ankle pumps and PT stuff, meds to take, and my body movements are slow and thought out.

But still, like you said, in one sense these things sound trivial, but in another they are so huge!!

Absolutely what @JennyLynne just posted! I'm at 7 weeks chappyd and I still check myself from doing too much, too early. I feel like I can start doing certain things but I try to keep it slow and steady. No need to rush this thing! Good to hear that you are doing so well. Very impressive!

You're doing well!
Very early days for you...but one week post op already tomorrow.
What a great Summer you'll have.
Happy Easter to you!
@Chappyd

You're doing well!
Very early days for you...but one week post op already tomorrow.
What a great Summer you'll have.
Happy Easter to you!
@Chappyd
Thanks Layla, Happy Easter to you as well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back