Guest viewing is limited

THR Chappyd's recovery story

Thank you Layla! Had planned on posting on my one year anniversary, but life got in the way big time. The shoulder seems to be healing good enough that surgery won't be necessary. Yeah!! I've been out of work for almost 2 weeks now. I caught a really bad case of the flu or this virus, and although the test came back negative it is not 100%. So the wife and I are self quarantining for 14 days. Almost done and over the bug.

Now for what I've experienced with my new hip. It has all been really good. My right leg feels different. Like where the bone is when you touch it. The real side seems to have some give, while the replacement does not. It's different. Not bad in any way, just different. I have had no pain to speak of. The only thing I notice now, and I'm not sure it is related to the hip operation or it is simply something new old age related. I get cramping/stiff muscles in my butt, more so after exercising or working outside doing yard work with a lot of bending over. Walking is an unlimited activity for me now :).
My fall in the garage was eye opening for me. I am old, and I need to be more careful and aware. In my mind, like all folks, I still feel like I am 30. With that in mind I am going to make some life decisions-

The dirt bike days are gone. I can't justify the risk of injury. Speed and sudden stoppage are a young man's game.
Respect my body. Mostly meaning eat right, exercise regularly, limit alcohol intake. I am thinking of taking a yoga class to help with flexibility and stress.
Learn to control my emotional reaction to things beyond my control. This is going to be very hard for me but is something I need to do in order to get a handle on my stress levels, and blood pressure.
I need a new hobby. Hiking is the first thing that comes to mind, as it is easy and affordable. The dog will love it too. I may start flying again if the stars line up in a certain way. It isn't hard on the body, is good for the mind and to escape the surly bonds of earth is amazing. The view isn't half bad either.

I hope all of you folks who are recovering now have an experience similar to mine. My new hip has given me a chance to hit the reset button and have an active pain free life. My time here on this forum was hugely beneficial to me and is a pleasant memory associated with my recovery. Thanks to all you Mods and good luck to those recovering. You won't believe how good it will be!
 
Hello and Happy weekend! :wave:
What a heartwarming update. I love your writing style. :)
It‘s so nice to hear from you, thanks for responding! I’m sorry you struggled with a bad case of the flu, thankfully you’ve recovered. It’s awesome that your shoulder is healing and surgery won’t be necessary.
My right leg feels different. Like where the bone is when you touch it. The real side seems to have some give, while the replacement does not. It's different. Not bad in any way, just different
My surgeons PA reminded me that a prosthetic hip will never match a natural hip, it’s pretty darned close though. Losing the pain and regaining flexibility and mobility, even with some minor limitations feels miraculous. I’m sure you agree.

Thanks for you kind words in regard to BoneSmart. The ideas you expressed in regard to how you‘ll move forward sound sensible and reasonable.
Best Wishes all of your dreams come true!
 
The dirt bike days are gone. I can't justify the risk of injury. Speed and sudden stoppage are a young man's game.
I went camping with my brother not too long ago, he rides 4 wheeler's and some of his friends dirt bike. As his friends were strapping on their riding armor I looked at my brother and told him the problem with that armor is it's for WHEN you fall not IF you fall and I'm too old for if let alone when. :heehee:
 
So I guess it's been a couple more years now since i last got on here. I can always remember my hip replacement date, thanks to the IRS!

In January of 2021 I started working part time, 3 days a week. Not because I had to but because I want to. Retirement is 14 working days away spread out until mid June. My hip has really been trouble free. I still do have issues with my legs, cramping it's been that way since my recovery. It may be my back, or a pinched nerve. It's manageable though. Had a bit of a heart scare in the fall of 2020, just skipping a beat now and then. that was the motivation I needed to get busy. Exercise is a daily ritual, diet has changed and my weight is about what it ought to be. I did fall off the wagon in one respect, I got another dirt bike. I just ride it around the backyard field nowadays. The dogs get walked daily as well, usually about 2.5 miles.

Still I am grateful to have come across this forum when I had my hip done!
 
:wave:old pal @Chappyd

Happy 2 year hipversary

:happydance::happydance:

I'm glad all is mostly well and hope that afib doesn't worsen.
My better half has dealt with this and his is mostly managed.
Hope you have a Hippy Easter!
 
@Chappyd happy you dropped in to share an update with us. Sounds like you're doing well, Happy 2 year anniversary! :vespa:
 
Hi Chappy! So good to see your update and I am thrilled you got another dirt bike. We gotta keep the things that gives us joy, just maybe in moderation, right?
Many of us start feeling that "skippy heart"-- mine is what is called PVC's. If I keep my caffeine intake down and control my stress ( haha, yah, right) I can keep it steady. but like you I hated that reminder that I wasn't in my 30's any longer. Phooey.
@Chappyd
 
Hi Guys, it's actually been 3 years now! This morning I cut my caffeine in half. Should be able to keep doing that ok. Having developed an exercise routine and sticking with it has been life changing. It's not a crazy work out but more light weights, sit-ups, stretching and I picked up a rowing machine and do 20 minutes on that. Usually good for 5 times a week. After that I just try to get up and do things. Walk the dogs. I notice that things that were starting to be a challenge aren't so much anymore. Like lifting the ladder off the garage wall. Simple thing, but very noticeable.

@CricketHip, Haha boy is that ever right about controlling stress! And phooey on old age! Clint Eastwood was quoted on his 91st birthday when asked how he just kept going to work, "Don't let the old man in". The old man is knocking but so far I'm not letting him in. He'll win eventually, but he is going to have to fight for it!
 
Hello @Chappyd It’s so nice to hear from you and what a great update! Love the positive changes you made and shared with us. Happy Three Year Anniversary!
I hope you have a wonderful Spring and Summer! :SUNsmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom