BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Alitm, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Thanks @Bone-obo....yes that is what I had before. Maybe I should try the bike at the gym first? The revolutions are bigger on a bike though than an elliptical. Hmmm need to think about this some more! The elliptical seems to lend itself better to overall body tone as it pertains to working with horses. I see my phsyio on Friday, and will see what he has to say. Stay tuned! With hubby going away, I have to up my game re: meal prep, grocery shopping and all the little extras that make a difference in keep the balance between overdoing it or not :flabber:. Hubby has done so much for me, to allow me to heal. It may well be that I'll have enough to contend with with all the little extras. It may be that walking around the farm, throwing in horse feed (someone else will do the rest) will be plenty for the next two weeks while he is gone.

You are almost at the three week mark. The yucky first two weeks are behind you. One more week and you will be raring to over do it at the four week mark :heehee:. It is even more tedious second time around I have found, and the slow and steady mantra is hard work!! :holysheep:

Behave yourself if you can :rotfl: and have a great day!

2. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Good Morning @Barbaraj! We had very light snow showers early this AM, but nothing stuck. The sun is out now, and today will be the last of the sun for a bit it appears.

I found that the first few years of my ROM and aches starting up, when I was still riding, that it was worse from October to April, and then things improved during the spring and summer. My hope for your left hip, with all the physio you are doing, is that once the damp winter PNW weather dissipates, you will be able to really enjoy your spring and summer with the new hip, and can schedule the left hip for the Fall? Honestly, just having the right hip done in September was so helpful to me. Yes I was taking Tylenol all the time to help with the left hip as that still hurt...but that was end stage...and I don't believe your left hip is there yet? You are being so proactive and are doing all you can to slow down the OA. I think my arthritis became worse quite quickly, after my competition horse was injured and I was doing a long rehab with him. Sadly it didn't go well, as he got loose on someone else's watch and galloped around like a loon, and tore another area of the already injured ligament. Anyway, the lack of riding for a long period of time, which normally kept my hip soft tissue structures in such good shape, expedited the arthritis development. This is my long winded way of saying, stick with the pro-active physio, and elliptical, as long as it is helping. Take Tylenol if it keeps the left hip comfy (you aren't taking any right now unless you over do it), and know you will feel less achy come spring weather...which comes quickly for both of us, compared to other parts of North America. I bet you will be able to have a good summer. However, if things start to go south with that left hip, just get the heck on with it! You'll have anterior again, and will be rehabbing in spring weather. I am saying a prayer for you though :beg:, that your physio/elliptical work continues to help that left hip, and you can have an active summer. You are doing all the right things to help yourself IMHO!!

I mentioned A plane ride to OS. He doesn't know it is three flights :flabber:. I see him on Monday and will have a candid conversation about it all. I see my physio as well on Friday and will discuss with him. Every week is better for me though...so who knows what will come next. I'm just starting to feel as if I've calmed down hip one from last weeks overdoing it, and am starting to turn a corner in the energy department...but it just takes one extra thing to throw things off...and there are a lot of extras coming up at home with Hubby away. Add three flights to that, and the lack of hip support once I get to Bda :shocked:. The thought of dealing with four different airports alone makes me want to yarf, just thinking about it!! Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and put house, dog and horse sitters on alert. Last spring I had all that lined up, and MIL made the most amazing recovery (which was wonderful, as I was able to have a great visit with her in June), but at 96 how many times can one do that?

I best get my backside off the ice and onward. Have a great day :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you decide you need to do this flying thing - schedule assisted departure and arrival. Someone will meet you at each stage of your journey with a wheelchair or a cart to take you to your next connection. Saves you stressing through airports and spending the energy on walking long distances.
    My Mum is 99 in May and I have said the same thing for years. These "oldies" continue to amaze!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

@Alitm happy new year to you. I bet by this time next year you will have forgotten you have shiny new hips in a positive way of course. Is there any show jumping on the agenda ?!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Oh my @Jaycey, when they made your Mum and my MIL they threw away the mould! My hubby was saying on the way to the airport this evening that he thought his Mum would bounce back again. You know well what a roller coaster ride it is. Thanks for the moral support.

Yes, I would have to have to have assistance for sure. I wonder if they'd take away my hiking poles as lethal weapons!! I'm getting a little punchy about it all.... I have to take a prop plane over to Vancouver, then a red eye over to Toronto...OS says to walk a lot during the flight, so I'll be really popular on the red eye flight! Will have to get an aisle seat on second and third flight. I am almost getting the giggles thinking about climbing over people from the window seat with two new hips!! Maybe I'm just losing the plot completely :rotfl:! The flight to Bda is usually pretty straight forward. It is the risk of blood clots that scares me, but I'll just load up on the aspirin, which is what I was on post-op both times. I just came off the stuff! When all is said and done, I'm seriously considering a liver detox!

Thanks so much for checking in with good advice. Much appreciated :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @SurreyGirl, no more show jumping, eventing or galloping on beaches. I might do some cross rails and caveletti but that is it in terms of jumps. I'm all about the dressage/dancing with my horse! I don't even care about the showing so much any more, but I look forward to the training, clinics and some trail riding. There is something called working equitation that looks kind of fun at the higher levels.....this is a link to what it looks like. You have to ride a dressage test first, and then do the course. It is kind of like obedience and agility with dogs!! There are lots of levels. This guy in the video makes it look easy!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    @SurreyGirl I am sorry to read about your sister....sister relationships are tricky. My sister and I have had our ups and downs. I feel for you with your sister situation :sad:.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I always get an aisle seat so that I can get up and walk around without climbing over people. Flying just isn't fun anymore! Horridly expensive and more like a cattle car.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good luck with your Physio on Friday and OS appt on Monday.
    Let us know how it goes.
    I hope your recovery is going well and you're enjoying the week.
    A happy Wednesday to you! :SUNsmile:
    @Alitm

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, @Alitm. it's the first of January, 2019, and you are well on your way to full recovery! I wish I could say the say, although I think my right hip is really doing well, it's just the sobering reality that my left hip isn't going to cooperate, I fear, and maybe by next fall I'll be uncomfortable and unhappy enough that I'll proceed with a second replacement. But who knows? Maybe I'll get a break--would really, really, REALLY like the summer to be more comfortable than last year--I just wanna have some active fun!

Your NYE sounds nice and relaxing, the best sort. I am sure with your husband's departure tomorrow things will get a little more difficult for you--will you have any help during his absence if you need it? I do hope your mother-in-law pulls through, as that is absolutely the best outcome and would avoid you having to make what sounds like, at best, a challenging trip. Both the flight and the accommodations would be a strain, it appears, and while I am sure you'd be up for it I know it's not something you'd be looking forward to at all. So, fingers and toes crossed for you. Have a great day (going to be sunny and cold here, but I'm totally okay with that) as you come into this new year with the sure knowledge that full healing is just around the corner. You are doing grand! Cheers!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Okay, not sure what happened above--I posted it, I thought, but it didn't "take" so I went in and did an edit so it reads correctly. Did husband get off okay last night? I am sure you were sad to see him go although understanding why he needed to be with his mother. I hope when he arrives in Bermuda he finds that she's rallied and that she will, as with the miracle last year, recover. It is a tough time for you and your husband--sending positive thoughts your way this morning. It's cold here, too, and I think the rain is probably returning at some point. But it was a nice day yesterday even though I spent it inside for most of the day. Husband flies home tonight and tomorrow and Friday will be busy watching grandkids. Need to psych myself up, both physically and mentally! Cheers, and have a good day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @Jaycey, Nope, nothing glamorous about flying these days! On night flights I like the window seat, so I can lean against the "wall" to sleep. However, the aisle seat it will be. I'll be the "night stalker" on the plane, getting up and walking around all the time!

Last minute ticket booking is very expensive - Visa called me at 5 AM to verify my husband's last minute ticket charge to Bda and another transaction that was hip related! The Visa agent has had both her knees replaced!!!

Some friends and I were travelling two years ago to a horse related event in San Diego. We were commenting about the line we were in and how we felt we were being herded like cattle! We were tempted to start mooing, but figured that wouldn't go over well with security :heehee:.

14. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Thanks @Mojo333 for the travel article. Much appreciated. Nope, I'm not destined to have a peaceful recovery it appears! It adds character. We have another frontal system moving in too. A rainfall warning has been issued for today, and the wind arrives tomorrow. Environment Canada has warned of more tree damage, particularly with the softer ground. Generator is primed! Some poor folks just went back on the grid on New Years Eve. There were so many people without power, it has taken that long to restore. Hopefully this system won't be as bad as the last. All first world problems. When I think of all the folks you take care of on a daily basis, I don't have a problem in the world :SUNsmile:.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @Barbaraj, Yucky weather (rainfall warnings today and wind to follow according to Environment Canada) here. Haven't heard from hubby yet. He should be getting through customs and immigration in Bda about now. Hopefully I'll hear something soon. Feeding the four leggeds and heading out for a coffee with a friend and a grocery store stop. Home again to ice. Farrier coming to trim and shoe the two at home this afternoon.

You'll be glad to have hubby home. Rest up for the grandchildren :happydance:!! Have a good day :).

16. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, @Alitm! It is Saturday morning and it's NOT raining so all's right in my part of the world! I survived two days with active grandkids (ages 6 and 4) and happy to say that although I'm tired, it's the complete exhaustion I might have felt if I'd really overdone it. Sure, bending down to kiss and hug them goodnight was a challenge (not sure I'll ever be able to do this easily again--just happy I was able to slowly get back up again!) but this morning both hips are fairly quiet so my fingers are crossed that they'll stay that way. I should get to the gym, and really focus on a better diet today and going forward--we mostly ate out the last couple of days and while that's nice, my food choices aren't always the most sensible--and it was hard doing Dry January when at night, after The Littles were tucked into bed, I wasn't able to pour myself a small glass of wine.

But today is another day, and onwards is my focus. I hope your husband arrived safely in Bermuda and that perhaps the news about his mother is cautiously optimistic. I am sure you miss him, although understanding why he's gone, but I know it's an anxious time for him, and for you. Fingers crossed that cautious good news will be coming soon. Have a great day.

17. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hello @Barbaraj, SO nice to not see the rain today, although it is overcast here. There is another nasty storm that is coming in off the Pacific on Tuesday. The forecasters are saying it will either come to us or you!! I don't want it here, but don't want you and other Seattle area hippies to get it!!! We had rainfall warnings for the last two days and the ground is so wet...if there are high winds as forecasted, there will be more trees down for sure.

Glad you had a good time with the grandkids. I look forward to that day, once my kids are ready! I know the bending over is hard. You must be getting your fitness back though, slowly but surely. You are doing 30 mins + on the elliptical, three times a week, so you must be quite fit indeed!! :bow: to you on that!

Hubby arrived in Bda and it has been a good thing that he is there. Dementia doctor said to take MIL home yesterday, and she is better in the orientation department already. Besides the TIA two days before hospitalization (CT scan didn't show anything, nor did an electrical type scan of the brain...I forget what it is called), they have been unable to find a cause for the further decline, other than my MIL is 96. They are testing a few more things, that need to grow cultures, and GP will have those results on Tuesday.

In the meantime my brother with the COPD has pneumonia again (round three). His GP is a family friend and has been amazing. Brother is back on the really nasty antibiotics that give him all sorts of other reactions, but it was that or be hospitalized. Hopefully the antibiotic kick in soon, without too many side effects.

After all that dreary news, some excellent news, my niece (my deceased brother's daughter) had her baby early this morning! My SIL was on the phone with me at two this morning. We were both so excited that her daughter/my niece and hubby had headed in to the hospital.

Back to the hips....I had a great physio visit yesterday afternoon. I'm able to work more on strengthening now. He doesn't dole out the 10 x 3 reps stuff thank goodness. First was the gait assessment and assessment of what is weak and where at this juncture. He spent a lot of time on muscle release, which was wonderful, after the fact! We went over some stretches he wants me to start, and also some areas to strengthen...and the relationships between the two. I am to do five reps of each once a day to start with. No pushing to pain or fatigue. He also reviewed the somatic stretches for me, and was happy with them. He had a look at my two slightly sore points at the top of my right hip. He isn't worried about them and said that first hip really had to take up the slack, even if it was nine weeks out, and it would all shake out in the end. He says to keep icing those spots but to use heat on the top of the quads and hip flexors. I have to say, the warmth feels really good on the hip flexors. The exercises will change as we go along. He feels once certain areas come back on line strength and length wise, I'll easily maintain them with my barn chores, as they increase, and with the walking/elliptical. I left there feeling so empowered and excited about the future. He said it will take time, but how great to be FINALLY moving forward, slowly but surely.

My daughter is here at the moment, and we went to see Mary Poppins yesterday evening,and I promptly fell asleep for the first half :heehee:.

Wishing you a lovely afternoon :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lea61

Lea61 member

Hi, @Alitm and Happy New Year. I am sorry to hear about the health issues with your mother-in-law and your brother. I hope they are improving. I can understand not looking forward to taking such a long trip so soon after your November surgery.
    I'm glad to hear that you continue to do well with your recovery and have been trying to keep yourself out of the ODIC. I am going to keep in mind for my next surgery, how your right hip started to bother you after having the left done. I guess that started after you stopped taking the pain meds on a regular schedule post op?
    Wishing you the best and hope hubby will be able to return soon.....
    P.S. I absolutely enjoyed watching the working equitation video. That horse was actually dancing! It was amazing to watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. lotusbuds

lotusbuds junior member

Sorry to hear about your mother in law and brother Alitm. And congratulations on your new great niece! how nice.
    Good luck with your new exercises the physio gave you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @Lea61 So glad you enjoyed the working equitation video! The rider and horse teams at that level are really fun to watch, even if one isn't interested in horses per say.

I was looking at your dates for your surgeries, and four months looks like a really good gap between surgeries. I was just over two months, so you will have double the time in between, give or take a week. I'm still taking Tylenol. I take 1 extra strength when I get up and one at bedtime. Sometimes I take one during the day as well. Depends on what I'm doing. With hubby away, I'm doing more, so have needed the middle of the day one more often since he left to be with his Mum. We sort of have a similar story in wanting to have both hips at once, and life had other plans for us. I have no regrets having the nine week gap, but perhaps I was naive about how much the first hip would be affected, being forced to be "the good hip"? Each week the left hip gains strength and healing, so I anticipate that the right hip (first surgery) will be relieved of "the good hip" status as it offloads some of the strain back to the left hip...if that makes sense?!

I just popped over to your thread to catch up with you, and you are doing so well! When you stop counting the weeks you know it is a good sign, along with leaving the crutch behind in the other room!!

I am also a teacher, but specialized in the Orton Gillingham approach to remediating individuals with dyslexia, and tutor one on one only, no classroom work. I am territorial about my students, but I stopped working in June last year, but would love to take on a few students again when I feel the time is right. Good for you for going back for the time needed and then getting hip number two sorted out.

Wishing you and your family the very best for 2019! Thank you for your kind words about my Mum-in-law and brother. Both are a bit better today thank goodness!

• Like Like x 1