THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

I hope the massage went well yesterday @Alitm Did she have any words of wisdom for you?
Hopefully your pain is easing and your day is a sunny one.
Banana bread in the a.m. with coffee...yum! Walnuts? Yes or no? I like Walnuts in the BB
A great day to you!
 
Hi @Barbaraj Today we are getting a bit of sun in between the showers, and I managed a morning walk out to the barn. I find the afternoons so dark. Thank goodness the days will start getting longer after Friday. I usually see an improvement in the daylight hours by end of January. I am slowly getting my little three foot indoor tree decorated....slow as molasses. Yesterday was about churning out the banana bread so 6'5" rugby playing son can cut in thick slices and smear peanut butter on it! Usually I'm flitting around like a humming bird, and not getting to be as present as I am at the moment. This hip recovery is giving me great time to be able to just "hang out"!

I've almost finished my book and have two more novels to go, two more non-fiction also to get read before end of January.

Hips feeling strong and solid. Soft tissues are still complaining about the new and improved arrangement of said hips and that the soft tissues are having to regroup to accommodate!
 
@Mojo333 and @Layla My two claims to baking fame are banana bread without walnuts (only as the kids wouldn't eat it with nuts in...Hubs and I love walnuts!) and corn bread....both kinda southern, from my Bda days. After third pregnancy became yeast intolerant, so no wine or "risen" bread :tantrum2:. Thankful for G & T's and breads without yeast!!! :heehee:

Visit to massage therapist (also Somatic practitioner) was so great. She was able to release the lower part of the psoas and found some really sore spots on the quads which she gently worked on...both of which were my main reasons for going in. Both legs were bothering me. The inside thigh muscles are no longer guarding and my ROM with my knees going outward has hugely improved. I am also having some soreness in my mid-back, which I had around four weeks last time out and it mysteriously went away! MT was able to release some of that soreness by going in underneath my back and going down each side of the spine. She was so amazed at how straight and tall I am. Said we should have taken before and after pictures! From a somatic practitioner's perspective she gave me some some gentle somatic exercises, that sound like absolutely nothing, but really help walking. They help relax and release very tight muscles. I can give you the details of them if you would like. You do each one 2 to 5 times, and that's it! I drank lots of water for the rest of the day and a hot shower last night.

I am taking 2 regular strength Tylenol when I get up, and then wait six hours (or more if I forget) and take another dose, and one more dose at bedtime (six hours after midday dose). If I sleep through, I don't take anything during the night. If I wake up stiff and sore during the night, I take another 2 regular strength Tylenol, as long as it has been six hours, and make a note of the time. Last night I slept right through, but felt so muscles sore when I got up again. As soon as the Tylenol was back on board I was comfortable again. I hadn't had Tylenol since ten PM the night before. Sleep seems to be so up and down, I think sleeping through out weighs the AM soreness, which resolves quickly with the Tylenol.

I know the discomfort I'm feeling is from all the muscles that were so tight before, now having to shake out. The RMT suggested heat on the quads and hip flexors, but to continue icing on wound area and the inside of my knee...which was swollen and numb but much better know...but not 100% yet. Thoughts on that? I am wondering if I should be taking a muscle relaxant as well the Tylenol, or should I just keep the soft tissue discomfort at bay with the Tylenol? I take 500 mgs of magnesium daily, and then am using the magnesium oil on my quads and hip flexors after my shower. I also have a heating pad in bed for my back, and I also put on my hip flexors - quads as needed.

My hips feel great! They feel strong and solid, obviously with the most recent one a little less stable, as she is only 4 1/2 weeks out. I can't believe how tall and straight I am again, now that my pelvis is back underneath me, and my hips are in the right place!! I am starting to be me again!! YAY!!!
 
Oh my stars...isn't that light getting bright at the end of this recovery tunnel.
From a somatic practitioner's perspective she gave me some some gentle somatic exercises, that sound like absolutely nothing, but really help walking. They help relax and release very tight muscles. I can give you the details of them if you would like
I certainly would.

Very happy that you are feeling stronger. Keep up with that patience muscle now.

So very happy for your progress!
 
:bored: this is usually what it looks like!
Hope your evening is peaceful and hubby is comfy too!:loveshwr:
 
Ha ha @Mojo333 I do use :bored: quite a bit :snork:

@Mojo333 Save this for when you have time and the mental energy!! Here is the info re: Somatics and the what movements my registered massage therapist/somatic practitioner gave me. Also, there is a really good article on line called "Clinical Somatics: Modern Pain Relief Clinical Overview" published by Steven Aronstein, Clinical Somatic Educator. You should be able to find it if you plug that in. It is in PDF format. It explains how somatic movement works in the brain and subsequently on the body.....really interesting indeed. My practitioner came to Somatics after a terrible motorcycle accident, as a patient, and had so much success with it trained to become a practitioner. I feel so fortunate to have found her!

The somatic "exercises"....really think of them as gentle movements...not as hammering at it as an exercise...which I of course did at first before being told off!! This is not an "athletic endeavour", but a mental endeavor, as it actually retrains neural pathways in the brain, as we are creating new patterns of healthy movement. We apparently get Sensory Motor Amnesia (SMA) from trauma....and I'm thinking that OA and THR come under the heading of "Trauma"!!

First somatic movement is one I've practiced all through pre and post op (as soon as it felt comfortable) as it keeps my core engaged and my back stretched out. On one's back on flat surface (I do on my bed at the moment, but prefer a yoga/pilates mat), lay/lie with knees bent, legs hip width apart, toes facing straight ahead. Hands and arms relaxed by your side. Slowly and gently arch your lower back to comfort only, then back to neutral and then using your transfers abdominus only (NO glutes), gently flatten your lower back and then relax. Relaxation is key. Once you have absolutely relaxed, repeat. You can do this movement up to five times only, making sure you completely relax in between each cycle. Secondary exercise is to bring your hands behind your head and have your elbows by your ears, not out to the side (this is not a sit up). Once you have flattened your lower back, keep the back flat using your transverse abdominus and slowly bring your chin to your chest (which will gently stretch the back) and then put your head down slowly, relax your pelvis and completely relax. You can do this 2 - 5 times.

Second somatic movement is called the six point (back of head, back of each shoulder, back of each side of pelvis, tailbone). There are two patterns, one for flexion and one for walking. It was suggested that I focus on the walking pattern for now, so that is what I'll share. This pattern relaxes the alternating rhythm during walking between hips and shoulders, head and pelvis. Move slowly and gently, choosing contractions and ranges of movement you feel comfortable in.
a) Start by lying on your back with your knees bent, hip width apart. As you breath in, gently press head and tail toward the floor, feeling the back tighten-then relax. As you breath out, pull the belly button down as you gently and simultaneously lift the head and tailbone" then relax. This is not a bridge or an athletic endeavour, just a small gentle movement. Do all movements slowly and within comfort. You can do this 2 - 5 times relaxing between each one.
b) Lying down on your back with your knees bent, feet hip width apart, gently and simultaneously slightly lift right shoulder and left side of pelvis (small movement) - then relax. Then gently and simultaneously press down right shoulder and left side of pelvis - then relax. Repeat 2 - 5 times.
c) Lying down on your back with your knees bent, feet hip width apart, gently and simultaneously slightly lift left shoulder and right side of pelvis(small movement) - then relax. Then gently and simultaneously press down left shoulder and right side of pelvis - then relax. Repeat 2 - 5 times.

Third somatic movement, lie flat out on your back with hands by your side, legs flat. Gently slide heel away from head, to comfort and relax. Repeat on other heel, and relax. Repeat 2 - 5 times.

Before each practice, one should lay on one's back with legs out straight, and do a "sensory inventory". Look at your feet, does one fall out to the side more than the other? Do both your legs lay flat or do you have more space under one knee? Is one hip bone higher than the other? Is one side of your rib cage higher than the other? Is one shoulder higher than the other? How does your head turn from side to side, is one side stiffer? After each practice of the above, I am to re-assess my sensory inventory. I always see a change. It was so bad before my surgeries, one foot would fall out to the side, and the other one wouldn't, and one hip was always higher. By the end of an hour of somatic movements, I would even out. Of course with OA it was like :headbang: as the OA would not allow things to change permanently, but it did give me some pain relief for an hour or even a day, depending on the day! Now I hope it will help with my rehabilitation. Stay tuned.
 
We apparently get Sensory Motor Amnesia (SMA) from trauma....and I'm thinking that OA and THR come under the heading of "Trauma"!
Makes sense...and I agree..my body was traumatized.
Will definitely try them.
 
Good afternoon, @Alitm. I hope the banana bread baking went well, with several fragrant loaves as a result. My older son loves banana bread and I've made it occasionally, but I don't have a reliable recipe (just says "three ripe bananas" which is challenging as some are much bigger than others and the bread's texture has suffered mightily as a result). And massage sounds relaxing and helpful in dealing with some of those troublesome areas you've got. I wish I had more faith in massages. I've honestly never found them very helpful but admittedly haven't gotten more than one or two "real" massages (as opposed to the sort one gets at swank hotels when one is killing time and waiting for spouse who is in conference meetings all day). But even those, while they felt okay, didn't seem to do anything particularly to relieve discomfort. Last one I had was a therapeutic massage for sciatica (pre-diagnosis of hip OA) and while it felt nice during the massage, no good results were achieved and I was limping on my way back to the car. It is great that you've found a type of massage that really works for you, and an experienced practitioner who really does afford you relief--what a blessing!

Hope all's well in your neck of the woods--cool and overcast here, but no rain (yay!) We're hosting a party tonight so I need to get back to work, just taking a short break to check in on Bonesmart before I set back to work. A hostess' work is never done!
 
Last edited:
@Alitm - I am sooo glad to hear you moving forward so well! Sounds like you've got a real handle on how your body works, and what to do to keep it going!

@Barbaraj - Masseurs vary so widely, and good ones are hard to find. I found a woman who was amazing on a cross-state bike ride a couple of years ago - I'd ridden 80 miles, I was hot and sore, but by the time I got up I was ready to keep riding. So they're out there. At least one is.
 
Hey, @Alitm, an early evening check in as I've been on the go all day long, shopping mostly and granddaughter's ballet lesson this afternoon. Now I'm home and after a few emails and posts, I will be changing into my fuzzy bathrobe and sinking into a chair to read or into bed to watch TV, and in either case I am sure I'll be drifting off after awhile. Hope you had a great day, and are still feeling good after your physio/massage visit.
 
Hello and hope all hippies are doing well. Can't seem to get to week five without having some major excitement in our lives! We had a really nasty wind storm on Thursday afternoon, and had a lot of damage. I'm not sure how folks on the lower mainland of BC faired. The winds registered hurricane force here and it has been so wet for two weeks, the poor beautiful towering evergreens were quite challenged. Did you get the weather in Seattle @Barbaraj? Still no electricity or phone lines here....but the house appears to be totally untouched, we have a generator, gas stove, an amazing wood-burning fire place insert, and today discovered we had intermittent internet!! BBQ turkey anyone?

Lots of tree damage on the farm which took out the paddocks off the horse's stalls, blocked our driveway and the main road. We were hit quite badly, but am so thankful our house is fine, the horses were not injured and we are safe and sound. No estimate as to when electricity crews will get to us. Our daughter had paid us a surprise visit, so she along with our son have helped Hubby so much!

Hips are doing well. The muscle soreness in my quads and hip flexors is much improved. I took Tylenol PM last night and the night before and have slept really well. I think that was very helpful. Sleep is an amazing thing.

I will catch up on everyone's healing when things calm down a bit, but wishing you all comfort, ROM and much healing in the meantime.
Onwards :santa sleigh:!
 
Glad no damage to life or limb (well, tree limbs I guess are damage:heehee:)
So glad the horses were not injured.

The world really should stop turning for a bit whilst we recover...gracious...only one thing at a time please!

Glad you are sleeping well and healing up.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
:chris-win:
 
Good Sunday morning, @Alitm. It's raining--of course--but none of those nasty winds we've experienced as well as you. We lost power for a few hours one night (Friday before last?) but no damage other than roads covered by fallen branches and lots and lots of tree needles. Sorry to hear of the damage on your property, but I hope things are ship shape soon--and thank goodness for your back-up generator! I hope you get power restored quickly, and certainly before Christmas. You sound like a real trouper, however, taking it all in stride and carrying on. Take it as easy as you can, and glad to hear that sleep is proving such a benefit--it always is, but certainly for a recovering hippie! Have a good day--fingers and toes crossed that power has been or will shortly be restored.
 
Hope your power gets back on shortly, if not already, and that you have a wonderful holiday tomorrow with your family. You have done remarkably well on recovering from your two surgeries, and have found time to pop on lots of other postings, like mine, to share encouragement, compassion and good humor. You absolutely deserve to have a warm and happy day tomorrow--and the thrill of knowing that 2019 will bring a new, more active and pain-free life. Hurray for you, and lots of holiday cheer! And thanks for your continuing support on my "hip journey".
 
@Alitm I hope things have calmed down for you and all is well. Enjoy your Christmas - extra carrots for the horses too!
 
Merry Christmas to all the wonderful folks on here Bone Smart. Wishing everyone comfort and joy :nativity:
 
@Barbaraj and @Jaycey We have power back thank goodness, but then lost phone and internet, but that came back again! Wishing you both a lovely day tomorrow with family, friends and animals (as that pertains to you!! LOL). Merry Christmas!

:merry christmas:
 
Hope your day is Merry and full of Christmas Joy.:reindeerlights:
 
Good morning, @Alitm, hope you had a fabulous Christmas, and are waking up feeling good--strong and hopeful about this recent surgery, continued recovery and fabulously functioning hips in 2019! I was a fool yesterday so feeling kind of miserable today (won't repeat but my latest posting details my idiocy); however, I am resigned to vegging out until at least midafternoon today. If I feel significantly improved I may attempt a gym visit or maybe just the home PT exercises, but I clearly didn't do a great job yesterday observing some smart activities boundaries. But, I am paying the price today! Now off to do laundry and probably some ironing of linen napkins from Christmas day dinner. I actually don't mind this, as linen irons up so beautifully, a very satisfying activity and not too onerous. Have a great day!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom