BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Alitm, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

United States United States
    Good Sunday morning, @Alitm. Although the news about your mother-in-law isn't great, at least she'll be sent home from the hospital soon. I hope the doctors have more information for the family once further testing is done, and another miracle recovery is in the works. Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, however, one more "crisis du jour" it sounds like. Fingers crossed that it all turns out well for these folks. But, also so happy to read your GOOD news--a new baby, always wonderful to have a new life here with, I hope, two happy and excited parents and family members there to lend support and love as well.

You always sound so much more educated and focused about your recovery than I do, I am a bit jealous although I know part of this knowledge and involvement, as you've commented before, is attributable to your work rehabilitating horses. I sometimes feel as if I have no idea where I "am" in terms of recovery, what I should be expecting of myself, and where I should be focusing my time and attention. I got discharged from PT when they said I was doing well (whatever the heck that means!) and to just keep up the good work. I am someone who thrives on direction and structure, and I always worry that I'm not doing enough to keep my progress on track. This whole hip issue threw me off balance, my world completely off kilter, and I feel as if I've not righted myself yet and worry I never will.

My PT noted that I am a bit of an overachiever in terms of my expectations of myself, and perhaps that is true. I just want to get back--yeah, age and hips say otherwise--to a time in my life when bending, stooping and just being were easy, comfortable and, most importantly, I didn't have to think about it. Even though I was able to get down to deliver bedtime kisses and hugs to the Littles, it was an effort getting down and certainly getting up! Will this ever change? Or am I "doomed" from here on out to always be aware of my physical actions, constantly adjusting activity and rest so I can just live my life?! It feels so discouraging sometimes. I know I am whining, but sometimes it does feel as if this whole aging, hip deterioration thing has taken over my life--argh!

Okay, on a more cheerful note, I am so happy to read that you've got such a good physio who provides very specific direction and that the advice she's giving is working for you. I am betting by this summer you'll be rarin' to go, with healthy, strong and fully functioning hips! Woo, hoo!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @Layla, thank you for asking about my physio appointment. It really went very well, and I feel so encouraged by it.....slowly but surely I am getting back to life. I will give a full report after OS appointment tomorrow.

Hope you are having a relaxing (ha ha right, with all you do for others!) weekend :) .

3. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Alitm ..what you said about the issues with your right hip makes perfect sense to me. I do hope that the extra time between surgeries will help me.
    I am familiar with the Orton Gillingham approach. My younger son had speech delays as a toddler and then once in school, struggled. One of his teachers was just learning the approach and asked if she could work with him. They actually helped each other, since there were times she needed to be observed while having a session with him. I think it helped him a lot and enabled him to continue school in general ed classes and even completed 2 years of college. I'm sure it's nice to continue with the same child and be able to see their progress since working with them doesn't have to end with the school year or entering a new grade. I hope you will be able to one day go back to it.
    Hope your family continues to do better and remember to take care of yourself and try not to over do it with your husband away. I know how difficult that is for you !!

4. KathyB

KathyB junior member

@Alitm Hi, I love reading your thread. You are an inspiration. Although I have never had horses or ridden them, I have always been fascinated by them. I used to make an hour drive just to watch my granddaughter take her riding lessons. I also enjoyed going with her to the stables to look after others' horses. My hubbie and I visited Canada in the late summer of 2017. Even though there was a lot of smoke from the fires, it was beautiful. We had the pleasure of spending a couple of days on The Rocky Mountaineer Train. My grandfather, his five siblings and parents came to The US from Canada in the early 1900's and settled in California. Wishing you continued success with your recovery. Looking forward to reading more of your posts. Hope your hubbie's mom and your brother are doing better.

5. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @Barbaraj, I hardly know where I am in this recovery, really! I am far more knowledgeable about the physiology of my horse's legs than I am my own!!!:heehee:. I am so grateful for the guidance of my physio. Remember with my first surgery I was to walk only for the first six week, then as six weeks was allowed to swim or get on the elliptical, but was busy taking care of the horses until my next surgery. I had no energy to do either the swimming or the elliptical in those last weeks before second surgery. Then I had the second hip, have done my walking around for six weeks, weather permitting. Friday was the first serious physio appointment been except for his glance at me at two weeks out. I did go to the massage therapist when my upper quads and hip flexors started to really hurt around the four week, post-op second hip, mark. I see OS tomorrow to find out what happens next!! I have so many questions for the poor man!! You have been so directed and "on it" with your physio and your disciplined elliptical time. My thought is if you have questions about where you are, or concerns about squatting or bending over, give your physio a call...its a new year, why not!

I do think that although with your anterior approach and less muscles "disturbance", you still had major carpentry, had to form a new joint capsule and your thigh bone had to graft to the prosthesis. There is still healing going on, and lots of room for improvement to come, even though you are doing so well anyway. Don't lose heart, you are six months out towards the end of March, so lots of room for more healing and getting closer to where you want to be. Did your physio tell you you were an overachiever in that you wanted too much too soon, or that you had unrealistic expectations over all? If he was commenting on you wanting too much too soon...maybe he was right (but don't all hippies want to be further along than they are?!!), but if he was saying you had unrealistic expectations, I don't think that wanting to be able to squat or bend over comfortably with time is unrealistic. If your physio isn't giving you the support you need in a positive way, then maybe it is time to find a new one? Take the "doomed" and put it out with the trash OK! I do understand...dressage riders are completely A type personalities and perfectionists! :yes:

Mum In Law has made a miraculous bounce back. So wonderful, but exhausting for all concerned. She is clearly having TIA's, that are very transient, but she had visitors for tea today!!!!! They are old friends, didn't stay long and Hubby, his sister and the caregiver did everything...but it is quite unbelievable! The GP still feels there was an infection lurking as well as the TIA that triggered everything. Hubby says GP will have results on Tuesday for two other tests that required petri dish time. Hopefully they will offer some answers for the severe dementia symptoms that seem to have disappeared for the time being.

My brother is still on antibiotics. I have a dear friend who had her second child at the same time as I had our third. Her daughter has a group of syndromes and is very compromised. My friend gets the bravery award for managing this very special angel of a child's care, along with a full life, professional career, and her husband's stroke two years ago. This dear friend has recommended a therapy machine that is amazing for COPD patients, and will help with the pneumonia secretions as well. I've sent all the info to my SIL and I hope this machine will help my brother, along with the very strong antibiotics he is on.

Our daughter has decided to fly to see her Grandma, while things are on the up and up, and while Daughter has the time off work. The travel schedule with her going, hubby coming home, daughter coming back the night of Hubby's surgery on the 18th etc., has my head spinning. Hubby thinks it is OK for me to be at the hospital with him on the 18th, get him home, settled and comfortable post op (same day surgery supposedly) and fed if he is up to it, and then have me drive forty mins to pick up our daughter's eleven PM flight. I know others have written that when one is doing better, one is all of a sudden expected to perform at 100%. My text back to him was, "Ah, are you thinking I am Superwoman?"!!! Thanks for the compliment, but not so much....good grief!

My Grandnephew looks adorable I can't wait to meet him later this year. In the meantime pictures are wonderful!
    Further good news is the horse sitter starts again tomorrow for three weeks, so there is hope I will have the energy to get to the gym to do whatever my OS suggests tomorrow at my appointment. I am so grateful to my hippy friends here, who understand the ins and outs, ups and downs, zigs and zags of THR recovery.

I hope you will realize how well you have done thus far (what you did for Christmas for example!) and will take comfort that there is more healing, and thus more mobility etc., to come!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    @Lea61 It has been hard to not overdo it since Hubby has been away. Now daughter is heading out to see Grandma, the evening before my hubby gets back...next weekend. Thank the Lord the horse sitter starts tomorrow morning for three weeks. She did tell me that if we get the forecasted snow this week, that she can't get up to the farm, as she doesn't have four wheel drive. She does have studded tires, but we should be OK if she can't make it. We are so overdue for snow, as we haven't had any yet. I have cleats I can put on my boots, and also snow tips for my walking poles. Hoping it won't come to that. We had a wind warning posted last night, but that stayed south of us.

I think your second surgery timing is perfect, and you will be very happy with that spacing between surgeries.

MIL is doing amazingly well. I don't know how she makes these come backs at her age. Apparently @Jaycey's Mum (who is 99!) has had the same ups and downs and is ticking along well in between! Hubby is going to go and see my brother this week. I'm trying to find the best balance I can! Looking forward to seeing my OS tomorrow and hearing what he has to say about my progress, what he has to say about my right hip and what the plan is moving forward. I am just starting to get my energy back, but I had to laugh....on Friday I had my first real physio appointment. He assessed my gait, did some deep muscle release on psoas, hip flexors and upper quads, gave me a few stretches for the hip flexors, which include tightening my glutes at the same time, but no crazy 10 reps to be repeated 2 times a day etc. The appointment was at 2:30 PM. My daughter and I went to see Mary Poppins Returns, a 6:55 show, and I slept through the first half!! I see that as a reality check as to where I am energy wise!!! :heehee:

Will be checking in again to see how you are doing as you approach your next surgery. I hope the second hip isn't grumbling too much. Stay warm!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Thanks @KathyB for stopping by my thread! I love your avatar. Both my sister and sister-in-law have goldies...such great dogs!!

Good for you for standing up to the crazy PT and saying no. Sounds as if you are coming along nicely and are listening to your body.

So interesting that your grandfather and his siblings were originally from Canada. I am a newbie to Canada. My husband Mum is from BC and one of his sister lives out here. We are originally from Bermuda! I know, don't ask, why did we move to the west coast of Canada!! Long story, but we love it here on the west coast. It is very beautiful, in a different way :)

Hubby's Mum has done a miraculous turn around. She went through this last spring as well. As long as she has quality of life, that is all that matters. We enjoy her better health for as long as it lasts. She is 96 and showing us all up! My brother is back on stronger antibiotics. Usually they make him really sick, but so far so good. He has terrible COPD from smoking. He stopped back in 2008...but the damage was done. Every time there is a chest bug going around, this happens. Fingers crossed that these antibiotics do the trick and he doesn't have terrible side effects from them.

Wishing you a continued successful recovery! You are doing great!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Wow, great news @Alitm, that your mother-in-law seems to have pulled another rabbit out of the hat and is progressing, slowly but steadily, towards health again. It is truly a miracle, and I'm sure your husband is relieved although still concerned given that full test results haven't come in yet. And I hope your husband's brother is coping well on the stronger antibiotics and that he, too, will be back on track shortly. COPD is a really a horrible, horrible condition. I am sure he deeply regrets all those years of smoking that brought on this condition, but now he just needs to roll with it, and do what's necessary to function as well as he can. My younger daughter smokes, too, and I am on her--as much as I can be, without completely alienating her--about how destructive smoking can be. I am hopeful that she'll quit one day, but I realize that I have no control over the situation and just need to let her run her own life without being a horrible nag. Will continue to do some nagging, of course, but as with exercise for recovering hips, the key is to do enough but not too much!

When does your husband return from Bermuda? Or is that still up in the air? I know he's got upcoming surgery himself, but I hope his absence hasn't caused you to do too much. Well, I am sure you ARE doing too much, but not so much that you've significantly slowed down your remarkable recovery! Given your farming lifestyle I suspect that there is always a ton of work regardless of hips and other problems, and somehow it's all got to get done to keep things moving along. Reading your posts, I have to say I'm grateful for my suburban lifestyle! There are many compensations to the more rural life you describe, and shared with some beautiful pictures, but I have no illusions that it's anything other than hard work, all the time.

As a final note, I think my therapist was saying I just, in general, have higher than normal expectations of myself from a physical standpoint. She thinks I'm doing great, and perhaps I am as my recovery has been a slow but mostly upward trajectory, but I do know that I'm not fully recovered and need to accept that. You are right, I'm about 3-1/2 months out from surgery and I'm not at 100%, and I've got a cranky, unoperated left hip that complains LOUDLY if I overdo things. My anxiety is probably more related to, "when I am fully recovered will I get back all of my previous body fluidity and strength, or am I doomed now because of age to slow down?" I think the whole hip issue is just a stopgap concern to my bigger concern as to how to handle staying strong and flexible as I age. But you are right--one can only do so much obsessing before it becomes a bit ridiculous. I just need to chill out! Recover first and THEN worry about the bigger issue.

Have a great Monday!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  9. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Alitm .... so happy to hear that your MIL has improved and on the mend. She sounds amazing. I didn't realize that your brother lives in Bermuda (I did get that right, when you said that your hubby will visit him this week). It's good news that the antibiotics are working for him.
    And...... it may not be your fault that you fell asleep during Mary Poppins Returns movie ..... although I have not seen it, I have heard so many people say they slept through some or most of it too :heehee:, so don't be so hard on yourself ! LoL :wink:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    I have to apologize for not being in touch with my hippy friends. Life has been busy with hubby away, and my daughter being here visiting and helping me along...all good and positive things. I also had the opportunity to go and see my horse go in a clinic an hour from here, two days in a row. The first day a friend drove me and the second day I drove. It was great to get out and about and do really normal things again, but like most of this recovery, tiring!!! LOL!! All good though :)

I wanted to share a PDF on Somatics, as it applies to relieving pain and relearning new walking pattern. This is interesting reading if nothing else! There is no "trying harder is better, faster is better, no pain no gain" attitude about it, but yet yields some really amazing results. The first sentence reads, "Clinical Somatics (also known as Clinical Somatic Education or “CSE”) is a highly effective method of hands-on neuromuscular retraining that alleviates chronic pain and improves physical functioning and mobility for clients."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  11. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Glad to hear you're doing well @Alitm and enjoying time with your daughter while hubby is away.
    Thanks for sharing the info on Somatic's with us, I'm interested in reading it.
    I hope you have a nice weekend!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Update from visit to OS on Monday:
    • Happy with my progress and not concerned about the little aches and pains.
    • Had xrays after the appointment, and no phone call back from OS or office, so all is well...that's how it is done here.
    • OS stated one experiences noticeable active healing until about 8 - 9 months, and that the healing would continue on for a total of a year and a half. Apparently I won't be as aware, or not at all aware of the continued healing after the 8/9 month mark. I remembered reading here how folks had continued ROM improvement into the second year post op...
    • We talked about fitness for riding and training, and I said I probably wouldn't get on my young horse until until I felt riding fit and ready, and given how I feel now, I didn't think it would be until after six months. He seemed happy with that idea. He didn't comment about, you may not ride before X time, but perhaps because of my comments he didn't deem it necessary to say so. He did ask that I please get on a real "plug" (slow and dull!) at first, which is the plan anyway.
    • OS noted there has been some research recently published re: the cup liner he installed in both hips, which is a type of plastic, inside the titanium. Apparently the liners are lasting 80 years!
    • Dental - no antibiotics for routine cleaning, but yes to antibiotic for any dental surgery.
    • Cleared again for the elliptical and swimming, in addition to building up the walking.
    • Air Travel - advised me to take a baby aspirin twice a day to avoid blood clots a couple of days before, during and a couple of days after.
    • I asked about continued icing and he said it wasn't necessary, but great for "comfort". I will continue with the icing
    • Will see me in a year (average between two surgeries), when I will also have more x-rays along with the check up, but could call if I have any questions or concerns.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Morning! That is a great update and what a very sensible OS. It looks like you are both on the same page here. Btw I was told I don’t get an automatic review in a year , only “if I feel something is wrong”! Good old NHS.

As to your MiL, people of that age never cease to amaze me and puts my whinging into perspective.

Thanks for posting what your OS said about long term recovery time after around 8 months. Very useful for me to know too!

Best wishes for a continual progressive recovery progressing from “plug” to “spririted” horsewise!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Great update and super informative for recovery hippies.
    Your OS sounds wonderful.
    Thanks for the PDF , never really hard of this Somatic thing much until I saw it mentioned here.
    Now to make time!

Hope today is a Good Day!:tada:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, @Alitm. Sounds like a great report from your OS, and I'm sure you left the office with a smile on your face. Interesting about full healing not being until 8 or 9 months out. That would explain why, despite feeling pretty good (crabby left hip notwithstanding) I will continue to be prone to setbacks if I act on the assumption that I'm already "healed completely" and can completely engage in any and all activities. Sounds like that's not the case. Guess I just need to continue the "slow and steady" pace, and try not to get frustrated when, inevitably, I overdo things.

Glad your daughter is there to help and also be a companion during your husband's absence. Any word on when he might be returning home? It is truly miraculous about your mother-in-law's recovery, and I'm sure your husband wants to be completely satisfied that she's fully on the mend before he returns. Still, it must be very hard on you. I know he's got surgery coming up, so I'm assuming he'll be back at least a day or two before that's scheduled. Looks like we're going to get about a week of partial sunshine and no rain ahead, not sure if that means any rain is headed your way up north or not. I'll hope for pleasant weather for you, too. You deserve a break in the downpour!

Cheers, and have a good Friday.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Alitm just read your update from your OS visit. Sounds like it went very well! Yes indeed - there is still healing going on even into the second year - especially if you limped around for any significant amount of time pre-op.

Probably wise on waiting until you are further out to ride. New hips do not like any "jarring" motion. But I am certain you will get back in the saddle when you are ready. :horseriding:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Update from Physio last Friday, which was first real physio visit in terms of beginning to move forward back to walking correctly and start riding and training again. My surgeon supported walking only for the first six weeks, but does promote physio in order to get my gait correct and get back to riding fitness. I am choosing to work with a somatic practitioner and a physio therapist (both of whom I really trust), taking a slow, measured approach to my return to fitness, as I would when bringing a horse back from injury. To me the most important thing is that my physio is tailoring rehab to my specific post op weaknesses and issues, and is not giving me a set of random exercises that are dolled out because "that's what everyone gets after hip surgery". I have no desire to be injured by inappropriate physio!
    Gait analysis - Too much "Penguin walk" :happyfeet: going on!
    • Physio identified areas of weakness (glutes) and of tight muscles (psoas, hip flexors and quads) that were contributing to gait issues, so he worked on releasing the psoas, and the muscles in the front of tops of my thighs, that are all so tight from my previous OA leaning-forward position. The releases were not comfortable in the process of, but felt great after the fact, and I felt much looser in those areas. It is amazing how much both tight muscles and weak muscles restrict one's gait!
    • After the muscle releases I walked again both forward and backward, thinking about a neutral spine, swinging my legs forward, and back, and was able to keep my torso from going side to side..it takes a lot of thought. As long as I tightened my glutes and abs, I could maintain the pelvic tilt and neutral spine as I walked, and could feel the stretching in the hip flexors and upper quads, which the physio wants me to feel. Physio wanted me to practice this walking forwards and backwards in a narrow hallway if possible, so I could touch the walls if necessary for balance. I also worked on heel toeing with my footfall. Further Physio said to continue with the walking poles for long walks as they encouraged the diagonal hip shoulder relationship when walking and stops the side to side penguin walk. Walking on the elliptical will also do this if one uses the "walking" handles on the elliptical machine.
    • Physio introduced exercises to stretch the out the upper thighs and hip flexors which at the same time tightened the glute muscles. This will help me be able to move my pelvis forwards and back towards a more normal gait pattern. We reviewed the somatic exercises that I had been given the week before by the RMT/somatic practitioner. Physio said to continue with those first, and then he gave me the front of the pelvis/upper thigh stretching exercises which also strengthened the glutes at the same time. He said to do them five times each once a day, and add to them as was comfortable. Nothing should hurt or cause discomfort. He suggested when I was standing to think about the pelvic tilt, neutral spine, and gently put one leg back to stretch the hip flexors and upper quads, when I thought of it..just build it into my day.
    • Physio supported continued icing and also using heat on the tight areas such as the psoas/hip flexors and upper quads.
    • Physio said exercises would change from week to week, depending on what was coming back on line muscles wise and what still needed stretching and strengthening on my journey back to fitness.

18. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hiya @Barbaraj, it has taken me almost a week to reply...I apologize. I wanted to get the OS and physio reports out, and I specifically mentioned the healing time noted by my OS with you in mind :) From reading your posts I know you are doing an amazing job with being so diligent with your recovery and are healing really well...but you have to be patient...ha ha says me!!

It is hard being in the limbo stage of trying to figure out what to do and when with the other hip. The only consolation is that it does talk to you when you overdo it, so makes you behave yourself perhaps? However, if it is interfering with things you want to do, that aren't really overdoing it, then you need to re-evaluate. It is hard and I really feel for you being at that stage of things. There is a retired COE minister here who I've met, along with his wife. They are in their mid-seventies. He and his son have both had a hip replaced each. They were back playing tennis, but not until after six months, and doing really well. I think we do expect too much from ourselves early on. Keep on keeping on with your walking and elliptical and it will stand you in good health over all. You have a great plan in place :) I am a huge fan of Somatics, so don't rule out giving that a whirl for other aches and pains.

Hubby just messaged....he is on the way back to emerg with his Mum. She is hallucinating quite badly again......

My brother is trying acupuncture and has an appointment with a support group called Open Airways, that is actually a medical group, for those with asthma, cystic fibrosis, COPD etc. I have been referred to a great resource and therapy machine that provides physical therapy for COPD and cystic fibrosis patients, helping loosen what their lungs can't loosen. I've sent the link to my brother and suggested he take it with him to the Monday Open Airways meeting and see what they think about it.

I'm heading out to a somatic session and a massage on my slowly getting looser hip flexors and quads. Hope we get some sunshine for a few days.....the forecast is looking good. We had snow on Tuesday morning, did you? It was a brief visit!

Have a great afternoon!

19. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Wishing you a great weekend @Layla! :SUNsmile: . The somatics is pretty interesting. It is something you can do at home, once one has learned how.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    @Mojo333 I'd never heard of Somatics until I moved to out west. Started playing around with it for riding flexibility, but then learned how it also helped with pain relief when the hips started to go. It is great gentle physio, and retraining for the gait. We can do the movements at home, once we have learned them. I would say it is worth going to a practitioner, when there is time, to get to know how to do it the movements effectively. I went with a "gym rat" mentality at first, but then learned that defeated the whole process!!! LOL!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1