Barbaraj
supremo
- Joined
- Jul 23, 2018
- Messages
- 2,391
- Age
- 76
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
Good Sunday morning, @Alitm. Although the news about your mother-in-law isn't great, at least she'll be sent home from the hospital soon. I hope the doctors have more information for the family once further testing is done, and another miracle recovery is in the works. Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, however, one more "crisis du jour" it sounds like. Fingers crossed that it all turns out well for these folks. But, also so happy to read your GOOD news--a new baby, always wonderful to have a new life here with, I hope, two happy and excited parents and family members there to lend support and love as well.
You always sound so much more educated and focused about your recovery than I do, I am a bit jealous although I know part of this knowledge and involvement, as you've commented before, is attributable to your work rehabilitating horses. I sometimes feel as if I have no idea where I "am" in terms of recovery, what I should be expecting of myself, and where I should be focusing my time and attention. I got discharged from PT when they said I was doing well (whatever the heck that means!) and to just keep up the good work. I am someone who thrives on direction and structure, and I always worry that I'm not doing enough to keep my progress on track. This whole hip issue threw me off balance, my world completely off kilter, and I feel as if I've not righted myself yet and worry I never will.
My PT noted that I am a bit of an overachiever in terms of my expectations of myself, and perhaps that is true. I just want to get back--yeah, age and hips say otherwise--to a time in my life when bending, stooping and just being were easy, comfortable and, most importantly, I didn't have to think about it. Even though I was able to get down to deliver bedtime kisses and hugs to the Littles, it was an effort getting down and certainly getting up! Will this ever change? Or am I "doomed" from here on out to always be aware of my physical actions, constantly adjusting activity and rest so I can just live my life?! It feels so discouraging sometimes. I know I am whining, but sometimes it does feel as if this whole aging, hip deterioration thing has taken over my life--argh!
Okay, on a more cheerful note, I am so happy to read that you've got such a good physio who provides very specific direction and that the advice she's giving is working for you. I am betting by this summer you'll be rarin' to go, with healthy, strong and fully functioning hips! Woo, hoo!
You always sound so much more educated and focused about your recovery than I do, I am a bit jealous although I know part of this knowledge and involvement, as you've commented before, is attributable to your work rehabilitating horses. I sometimes feel as if I have no idea where I "am" in terms of recovery, what I should be expecting of myself, and where I should be focusing my time and attention. I got discharged from PT when they said I was doing well (whatever the heck that means!) and to just keep up the good work. I am someone who thrives on direction and structure, and I always worry that I'm not doing enough to keep my progress on track. This whole hip issue threw me off balance, my world completely off kilter, and I feel as if I've not righted myself yet and worry I never will.
My PT noted that I am a bit of an overachiever in terms of my expectations of myself, and perhaps that is true. I just want to get back--yeah, age and hips say otherwise--to a time in my life when bending, stooping and just being were easy, comfortable and, most importantly, I didn't have to think about it. Even though I was able to get down to deliver bedtime kisses and hugs to the Littles, it was an effort getting down and certainly getting up! Will this ever change? Or am I "doomed" from here on out to always be aware of my physical actions, constantly adjusting activity and rest so I can just live my life?! It feels so discouraging sometimes. I know I am whining, but sometimes it does feel as if this whole aging, hip deterioration thing has taken over my life--argh!
Okay, on a more cheerful note, I am so happy to read that you've got such a good physio who provides very specific direction and that the advice she's giving is working for you. I am betting by this summer you'll be rarin' to go, with healthy, strong and fully functioning hips! Woo, hoo!
. I am so grateful for the guidance of my physio. Remember with my first surgery I was to walk only for the first six week, then as six weeks was allowed to swim or get on the elliptical, but was busy taking care of the horses until my next surgery. I had no energy to do either the swimming or the elliptical in those last weeks before second surgery. Then I had the second hip, have done my walking around for six weeks, weather permitting. Friday was the first serious physio appointment been except for his glance at me at two weeks out. I did go to the massage therapist when my upper quads and hip flexors started to really hurt around the four week, post-op second hip, mark. I see OS tomorrow to find out what happens next!! I have so many questions for the poor man!! You have been so directed and "on it" with your physio and your disciplined elliptical time. My thought is if you have questions about where you are, or concerns about squatting or bending over, give your physio a call...its a new year, why not! 



going on!
. The somatics is pretty interesting. It is something you can do at home, once one has learned how.