Guest viewing is limited

THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Good morning, @Alitm. Hope you got a decent night's sleep and have a good mix of some activity but lots of rest and icing planned for today. Not sure what it's like up north, but it's gorgeous here today--the perfect fall day! I hope maybe today you'll venture out on a walk to see your horse. I am not a "horse person" (had a frightening experience with a horse at camp as a child, and I am very nervous around them) but it is obvious from all of your posts that you love your animals and they are an important part of your life. So, summoning up the strength and resolution to visit your horse today or maybe sometime this weekend sounds like an excellent idea! Cheers, and happy Friday!
 
Hi @Lea61 I haven't had the exact feeling you described. I will describe some of the things I have felt, to see if they line up with anything you recognize.

My new hip feels like mine, but healed, no feeling of it being something else in there. I observed that when getting back to my room post op. I also realized that the muscles in that hip had relaxed, from guarding all the time. They still do guard a bit, when I don't take my pain meds, no matter what level of pain meds I am on. In the earlier couple of weeks, It would be more pain when meds were due, and then that went to an ache. Now I get more of a guarding. If I've done a lot that day, I get aches!

I have been aware of it not being as stable as I'd like due to the new joint capsule having to form, and other soft tissue structures healing etc. Thats why we have either precautions or have been told to be cautious. I tested the hip a bit by walking out to our barn, on a old packed gravel farm road which isn't smooth and level like asphalt. When I first went out there on the walker things felt a bit tested (strained is too strong a word, and I didn't want to get to that anyway!). It felt the same when I transitioned onto the crutches, and also the walking poles, but only when I walked on the slightly uneven surfaces. After a few days of each transition it improved. I didn't push it.

Another thing I remember, and forgot to mention here, was a feeling of having something firm under the ball of my foot. I've read that on other's posts. That went away too.

Further, my op hip seems so much more fluid...but not squishy. Everyone's perceptions vary though right?! Anyhow, it just seems to glide through the walking motion as I move more, but that is probably because I had so many lumps and bumps on the femur head and in the pelvic socket of the old hip. My OS described it as ball bearing gone bad! Yuck!

Lastly, I feel a slight difference in my leg lengths, which OS will correct when he does #2 next month. Now that I'm walking on the walking poles it seems less. I stand much taller already which I love. The arthritis had really pushed my pelvis out behind me. Now I have one good hip that goes forward, and the other still lags behind. Not great for the back, but I know once second surgery is done, things will be able to shake out as they should, with rest, meds, ice, more walking and tons of patience!! I found that ROM etc. is coming back, by just walking. It is amazing really. :SUNsmile:
 
@Alitm ... yes I agree that everyone’s perception of the same symptom may be different. I do have difficulty trying to describe what it feels like. Even as I am feeling it. And I also do feel the change in length which my OS also said would be fixed after 2nd surgery.
You are so brave and daring going out and “testing you hipbgoing out to the barn.....”. Lol.
Thanks again for sharing :console2:
 
Week four shift and heading into week five....can I keep it brief, probably not :wink: Here goes....grab a coffee or move to another thread!

Meds: Taking Tylenol 1,000 mg four times a day. Three times if I don't wake up during the night. Seems to work well :yes:
Activity: Walking a lot in home, doing activities of daily living, with lots of breaks and :ice:. Undertaking a couple of core exercises on bed and recliner, some push ups off the kitchen counter, some dips off the lower bathroom counter, but no hip physio at all. Walking out to barn and around interior of barn and back. Going out more with hubby when he goes the bigger box stores, grocery stores and bigger pharmacies, as I'm always looking for smooth surfaces to walk on!! Just started that yesterday. Pacing myself. I am unpacking and packing dishwasher(worked up to that with top shelf only for a week), doing laundry (started with only my clothes but now doing hubs and sons..hubs still helps and will do a load of what he wants done), getting hubby to lift basket to area where I want to fold, light dusting around house and cleaning toilets, sinks, bathroom mirrors..all in moderation. Making my own breakfast and lunch. Help a little with dinner. Put my dishes away.:) :-) (: Hubby still doing horse and dog feeding etc.
No vacuuming or cleaning floors. No sweeping porches or the like yet. No windows. :bignono: Hubs on the job! :roseshwr:

Assisted devices: On the advice of OS, moved onto walking/hiking sticks three days ago. I love the walking sticks. You can use one like a cane, but the grip is on the side, not on the top. You can use them like a crutch, putting two down at a time to support the op leg or you can use them like walking sticks are designed to be used, so left sick with right leg, and right stick with left leg. They are really wonderful for gait training, lengthening stride (when you are ready for that...can do in small increments) and can work on heel toe while you are at it. I'm a walking sticks convert!:egypdance: . Also walking in bathroom with nothing, and in kitchen just with counter touching.

Sleeping: Sleeping back in our bed now, with a 8" wedge under upper body, and rolling wedge under legs. I've tried side sleeping on non-op side, with pillows between my knees, but it isn't comfortable yet:bored:. I find I sleep better when I take my Tylenol on schedule.:yawn:

Diet: Still staying with no sugar (cheat with honey in tea), no wheat and no dairy (cheat with a little milk in tea...) for the most part. Lots of salads, veggies and protein with every meal. There have been a couple of times I've had such a craving for red meat, it has been a little odd!! Drinking water helps with weird headaches and keeping my bathroom habits regular!
I still feel as if I'm turning into a slug with no muscle tone:bawl:!

Helpful pointers: The golfer's reach for posterior (not for anterior) THR folk is really useful, particularly for feeding and watering pets :kittymilk::puppysmooze:.

Finding the balance: I have found that sometimes "activities of daily living" take away from formal walking time, but that is OK. Better to moderate one or the other and not over do it.

Hope to get clearance to drive at my six week check up.

Really wanting to groom horses, but will wait until after six week check up. Have ZERO desire to weight-bear in terms of lugging feed and/or water buckets or mucking out. No desire to try and :fasthorse: either! looking forward to next year :wink:

Concerns: About two months prior to surgery I started to have pain on the outer side of my op-side knee. Physio and RMT thought it was IT band issue, and that it would resolve with hip surgery and better alignment. Knee still bothering me, but down in lower front of knee, and sometimes on inside side of knee. It can be almost sore to the touch on inside of knee. :gaah: Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all :scratch:. I ice whenever it bugs me. I need to go over and read @Jacey's post as I've heard she had almost more knee pain than hip pain post-op hip surgery. See if anything resonates with my issues. :praying: it isn't arthritis.

Feeling happy with where I'm at, most of the time, but have to admit, there are times when I need really large doses of patience :dubious:. Meditation app on phone, "Insight Timer" as recommended by @stellaluna, is really helpful :)

Hope all healing hippies are comfortable and having a pleasant evening/night/morning/day wherever they are in the world :SUNsmile:
 
@Alitm so happy to find your posting in the wee hours. I'm 5 days into my RTHR and awake evenings. My right hip had very different symptoms from my Left hip. I had IT syndrome with my LTHR in 2015. I had started PT w pool exercises and was able to take care of Bursitis & IT issue then. It all cleared up and I was amazed how suddenly different symptoms cleared -- making me realize how much I had compensated for that bad hip.
This right hip had wreaked havoc on my right quad which had and continues to cause knee pain. Icing not so helpful but a good nites sleep helped before PT. I use the Cube for continuous cooling. I'm still adjusting meds. This time muscle relaxant helped but made me really loopy w dilaudin, so I stopped that. I do well w Tylenol and putting up w a few aches until I stretch out and rest. Best wishes as you recover this hip and you head to your next surgery in November. Thanks for sharing your journey. You have very realistic expectations!:wow:
 
@wcgirl I am over here on the west coast of Canada and just waiting to take my last dose of Tylenol before bed!

Thank you very much for sharing your IT syndrome with your LTHR, and then quad/knee issues with this RTHR. Really helpful and supportive to read about and to also know that your left IT/knee issue cleared. So you are finding the muscle relaxant is helping your right quad and knee pain now? I hope so. The first week post op is such a drag I found. It is all about taking the meds, sleeping, showering, going to the bathroom, walking to the kitchen and getting horizontal again!

I see my OS again for 6 week check on the 29 and see my physio again the day after. Hopefully we can get the right knee thing sorted out before my left hip surgery on Nov 8. Maybe it will have resolved by then! I still have a tiny bit of swelling in that knee...not much, but that could cause tightness. The icing helps a bit, but sometimes I wonder if heat would be better. I was seeing my physio and registered massage therapist pre-op. The RMT was able to loosen up my IT band and stop the knee pain for a while, but I was tied up in such knots from the OA pain that it was kind of a lost cause! Hoping as my body realigns after second surgery, all these niggling things will shake out.

I try to be realistic as I've read so many threads here where folks zoom ahead of the suggested schedule, do too much too soon, and end up with all sorts of soft tissue issues. I've had enough issues pre-op, so don't want any more post op!! It takes patience, and I have to say, this two surgery hip recovery thing is a big challenge!!

Have you lived on the Cape for a long time? My sister lives on MV! I spent a lot of time in the Boston area 1976 - 1981. Loved Boston, the Cape and MV :SUNsmile:

Hoping you are getting some restorative and restful sleep by now :sleep: I'm about to take my Tylenol and head to bed :yawn:

Chat in the AM!
 
As you can see The evenings bring me comfort here as I recover. You are right, what a drag! The relaxant helped for a few days but my Nurse laughed when I told her it was too relaxing- it relaxed my tongue! My son told me I sounded loopy! I had to stop taking it.
Keep up the ice. Too early for heat. I've had to be careful to put a layer against my skin. It's helped w my knee swelling an I'm able to bent it in bed. Really helps getting in and out of bed now. I am able to do that without assistance if I'm not too tired.
I started going to the Cape summers in the early 70's and retired there since 2011. I made a trip to Seattle WA two years ago and I loved it. I can see why people move there and stay! I hope you weren't too badly affected by all the forest fires. I was painting in Acadia Natl Park in Maine and we had many visitors there from your area who were escaping the smoke.
Well it's 15 min to sunrise and 2 hrs to breakfast. Perhaps I'll get a little shut eye. :bored:
 
Happy Saturday @Alitm
I saw your beautiful horse on another thread.
You mentioned he was sleeping on the photo. Dumb question but I'm curious, do they sleep with therir head up like that?
I hope you're doing well and am sending best wishes for a lovely weekend!
Hope it's a sunny beautiful one for you :SUNsmile:
 
Happy Saturday to you too @Layla :SUNsmile:

Horses doze standing up (their legs "lock" so they don't fall over), or they lay down.

In that picture on the other thread, the horse had just lifted his head. They doze with their noses just brushing the shavings. I'll attach a couple of pictures of our cute little pony showing how they sleep laying down. The first picture is of him in his stall, doing the nose on bedding sleep. The second is of him laying out on his side, sleeping in the sunshine. He loves to do this....the first time he did I thought he was dead...scared the who who out of me - He just likes to sunbath! They do like to lay out on their sides like this, but I usually see it in their stalls. It means they are very comfortable in their environment. Usually my tall horse stands sentinel on the other side of the fence. It is really cute!

I'm just jealous that my op hip won't allow me I to lay out on my side like that just yet!! :heehee:
[Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore! [Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!
 
Good morning, @Alitm. I was reading your post above, your "end of four week and heading into five" notes. I am impressed by your diet (no sugar hardly? And here I am lusting over chocolate cake for breakfast!) and so disciplined about eating healthy! Wish I had that kind of focus, but the occasional cocktail plus dessert (delicious little doughnuts dipped in caramel sauce for dinner this past Thursday--probably really bad for me, but such a treat!) has overtaken any good resolve I might have (briefly) considered early on.

Curious about your comment on "golfer's reach"--you said only for posterior approach surgery but not for anterior? I had anterior and I find it easy to do and has allowed to stand on my unoperated leg and easily reach down to retrieve items from the floor with a slight bend in the non-operated leg. Did you get told specifically that this was a "no-no" for you? Only direction I got from the hospital was "don't do anything if it hurts" but otherwise I'm having to figure it out on my own, and for me, golfer's reach has been a godsend as we're all so foggy headed for awhile after surgery that dropping things is a constant.

It really does sound like you've been able to resume a lot of daily activities, although not doing silly things like vacuuming (not eager to resume that chore!) and even with the tasks you're doing, to do these in moderation and not push yourself too hard. Again, you seem so focused and disciplined. Can I be you in a couple of weeks (minus the need for an immediate second hip replacement)?!
 
Re: the golfer's reach, as long as you don't push your hip forward in the reach, and keep the line straight, it is fine. Some folks push their hip forward, so hyperflex it forward, which isn't great for anterior. I'm fumbling a bit with my explanation.

Honestly, I was reporting my progress, but I have my moments/days too. The different aches, pain, niggles that are all part of recovery and the body readjusting get to me.....and this AM I have been feeling pretty frustrated about being so dependent. I LONG to be able to do everything myself, not have to tie my desire to do something or go somewhere with all that my hubby is already doing for me....and ask him to do more. I also get totally overwhelmed sometimes by the zig zags, and then knowing I've got to do it all over again, and my right hip won't be 100% yet blah blah blah LOL! Most of the time I just adjust the boot straps and get on....but there are days when:holysheep: is on the tip of my tongue, along with :blackcloud::censored: :tantrum2: and :tantrum: and then I :rotfl: cuz what can ya do?

All I can say is that I'm so thankful for BoneSmart, being able to retreat here with those who are going through it, have been through it, and totally get it! Plus, I love the emojis...they bring out my inner child or something LOL!!!
 
Oh, @Alitm, I am sure this must hard for someone who appears to be as disciplined and capable as you must be! Nobody likes to be dependent, and as a normally competent, independent woman I am sure it can get frustrating to realize you aren't really in control here--that recovering hip and its still suffering partner are driving your day to day activities and will be for some time. But, focusing on what you HAVE been able to do, that's key right now. So, curse and grouse away--won't change anything but if you can smile and laugh at yourself, you'll definitely get through this (duh...like you have a choice anyway!)
 
Last edited:
@Alitm am glad to hear you are doing ok!! And yes, recovery is a work in progress!! Hang in there.! hugs.
 
Thanks @Barbaraj You are so kind. I was a grump and a half this AM!!! I had a lovely walk outside today, and then came in to ice. Did some ADL in the house too. Going to go out for another quick walk and see how I feel. Thanks again for the feedback...it was much needed!! Could ya tell? LOL!!!
 
@stellaluna Great to hear from you! How are you doing? The last post I read from you a while ago was awesome! You are back teaching correct? How is that going?

My back has been playing up, as has my right knee, but it is due to being crooked in that the new hip wants to/has come forward where it should be, and the old hip is still being forced back by the OA. Also, my OS said I am taller on the "fixed" side, and he'll even it out with the next surgery. He spoke about giving me more leg length (something I've always wanted ha ha), not by much, but to help me with dislocation and riding. I don't exactly understand how that works, but am grateful he has taken the time to do the research he has, speaking with OSs who ride etc. There are things I can do at the moment, like really walk correctly on the good side, heal toeing it, and try my best with the bad side.

The great news is that I've figured out how to get almost the same back stretch as in child's pose, but standing at my kitchen island. That back stretch feels so good, and I feel encouraged that I can do that to help straighten things out, even if temporarily!

Hope your recovery is coming along well. I'll get over to your thread and see how you are doing!

Hugs back at you :SUNsmile: and thanks for the boost!
 
@Alitm I noticed right away the legs feel more balanced vis a vis each other, and more equal in length after surgery #2 --and I feel just that little bit taller now as well. I could see in photos from the past 6 mos before the surgeries ...that I'd shrunk! Hubby even mentioned it. Just that chunk of cartilage worn away ..and also probably the way we carry ourselves when in pain... Was so odd to see me as one of the shorter people in a group shot! Not the norm. I think you'll notice the balance come right back when your other one is done.

Glad you found a stretch that's helps with the back, I was so happy to have found my one little flat pillow that fit precisely into the small of the back for sleeping! I know that gave me more hours of sleep during all this that I'd have otherwise missed out on.

Sending you a flower and further healing energy for the knee!
:flwrysmile:
 
@1stSurgery Thank you for the flower :) Needed it today for sure. Have to get through the next few weeks!

Since moving to the walking poles, the walking is coming right along. I walked the loop around the house, barn, past the pasture and back up to the house later this AM. Iced and did the same walk the other way around this afternoon. If I can slowly build, without the crookedness doing a number on my right knee and back, and the left hip not failing before surgery, it will be fabulous! One day at a time! I'll see how tomorrow goes, and perhaps go and see my physio this week (if I can get in) to see what he thinks about my knee and back. Hoping the heal toe, stretching back and ice will keep things calm, so I can carry on!!!

Yes, I get the incredibly shrinking woman syndrome! When I went for my first pre-op, I almost cried when she measured my height! I'd lost almost two inches! I am walking so much taller, but on one side! Did you feel that way?

Hope you had a good day, that the discomfort is becoming less and less, and you are able to get your business activities accomplished!
 
Sounds like you've covered a lot of territory in your walks @Alitm! I don't think I will be going that far by next week but it is improving little be little, day by day. Today was an 11 minute walk and by Monday I should be to 15 mins. I also did a short walk on cane as well that went fine. And all the usual house and work stuff. I'm sure you'll have noted more progress by next week, it only gets better each week once you're past the muck and mire stages.

And yes, I did feel the one sided difference before doing righty. Now they're both feeling nice and tall. My (happy) surprise is how much the pain has subsided from that terrible 8-9 to 6-7 to 4-5 and now... It's barely worth talking about. It happened kind of quickly it seems, but it's such a treat to be out of pain! I think the nice deep sleep I'd been getting helped to speed up that part of the healing. I'm about to do more of that now! :sleep:

Your horseys are so beautiful!! Been looking at their photos. You must be counting down the days until you get to see the one with the white stripe down his face, out there waiting for you to visit!

Sleep well and have another flower.... :flwrysmile:
:loveshwr::wave:
 
Knee still bothering me, but down in lower front of knee, and sometimes on inside side of knee. It can be almost sore to the touch on inside of knee. :gaah: Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all :scratch:. I ice whenever it bugs me. I need to go over and read @Jacey's post as I've heard she had almost more knee pain than hip pain post-op hip surgery. See if anything resonates with my issues. :praying: it isn't arthritis.
I doubt this is arthritis. They "man handle" your knee pretty hard during the procedure. In my case my OS corrected a leg length difference so muscles were also stretched. I iced the knee more than my hip in the first days and had significant bruising all down the side of my knee.

I could also be the way you are carrying yourself. Until you get that second hip done you may be trying to stay off it and unconsciously putting more weight on the op side. Keep using those walking sticks and avoid any activities that aggravate the "hip in waiting".
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom