THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

@Alitm, oh what a bummer about your husband. That makes it so difficult. I have a similar deal here, but it’s my hubby’s rotator cuff (he had surgery 8-22), he finally started driving this week. We have a gal staying on the property in my late mother in laws house, she has been driving us both around and is taking care of the horses. Don’t know what we would have done without her help. Our daughter was also here for the first week of my surgery cuz my hubby was one armed. He has to have the other shoulder done after this one is healed up. We both go to the same physical therapist. We’re quite the broken pair. So we are both doing a lot more then the recommended activity listed in the library here on bonesmart. Life marches forward and just getting someone to do the animals is huge. I still had to finish the garden harvest by picking beets, carrots, leeks on Saturday before the snow storm came in and froze everything.

@MrDIY has the right of it, I know how difficult it is. We don’t charge our helper rent, we pay her to clean, but she works her tail off here on the property, hubby has been a wreck all summer. Hope you can find someone to help you, sounds like you really need a hand. Your getting so close to your other surgery (same day as my hubby b-day). How are you feeling? Sounds like your getting around ok. Good luck with finding some help.
 
Sounds like your horse situation is more complicated. I have an outside lean-too, we free feed large rounds, and only put them in during storms. It is a little easier for us. Maybe time to pay the 18 year old to feed for you for awhile? and put out the SOS for a mucker? Sounds like like it’s time for your friends to step up and give you a hand.
 
:unsure:
Oh my stars...I just got around to catching up and found your hubby has discovered away to take a break. (Poor guy, said in jest of course)
He has two weeks to get well...?:dubious:

I do hope you get the help you so need...one crisis at a time for heavens sake!:beg:
 
Hey, @Alitm, how are you doing this morning? I had my first post-op appointment and feeling definitely pumped up and happy with the good news. Am I out of the woods yet? Well, no--but still doing well and a bit ahead of the curve. I know all this tough news about your husband and your worries about arranging for help while both you and your husband are out of commission coming up must be stressing you out--how could it not? But I also get the sense reading your posts, and the kind posts you make on others' threads, that you are someone who doesn't completely fall apart and will be really slowly figuring things out and making things work as time goes on. I can't imagine how tough this must be for you, but I'm betting family and friends are rooting for you, as is everyone else on this forum. You will get this sorted, I just know you will--but thinking of you today.
 
@Barbaraj Such great news on your post-op appointment today...you must be pumped! I'll get over to your thread to read!

Worry about hubby but we are making progress to get the CT scan sooner vs. later so then the referral can happen and we get a surgery date for him. Hard to plan long term until we have that. In the meantime we seem to have a few things worked out.

To ad to the excitement, my surgery date has been changed from Nov 8 to the 16th! Fun and games and NEVER a dull moment! I didn't even ask why when the OS's office called today!

I am walking now without the poles, but use one most of the time to support the op leg, as left leg isn't 100%. Icing and resting in between things, really pacing myself. I'm starting to get some energy back, but being really careful!

Hope you are celebrating your good news! :yes!::flwrysmile:
 
Say WHAT @Alitm? Your surgery date changed? Does that mean we can't be recovery buddies??? Will this help with hubby's latest condition? What a pain, literally, for you both! I really felt bad when I read about that today. Of all the bad luck to have, geesh. I do hope you can find help, that would be the greatest for both of you at this point.

I am sad that your surgery will be delayed but I know you've been working super-duper hard at getting ready for that day. Looking at it in a positive light is a GREAT attitude.

I'm struggling today. Really, REALLY sore - just about everywhere (or so it seems). I have no idea why. This too shall pass, I'm sure of it. In the meantime, it is Bosses Day here today (or so I read on the calendar) and since I work for/with my husband. . . I suppose I shall strive to be way less crabby tonight when he gets home. I was actually quite pleasant all day at work, despite my being sore and uncomfortable. LOL. Have to look on the bright side, he can't (or hasn't ever) fire me!!!!
 
Hey @Alitm, congratulations on getting a change of surgery date, that seems like a good thing, considering the complications your having with your hubby. One more week can really make a difference. Glad to hear your getting energy back. My OS told me using the cane or walking poles to support the operative leg can help with fatigue.
 
Maybe the surgery date change is a blessing in disguise that's yet to be revealed. Let's go with that.
I just want it to be January 1, 2019 for you because you'll be feeling like a new woman! :happydance:
Thanks for all the kind words and generous support you give others, you're a gem! :) :-) (:
Hope you have a peaceful night!
@Alitm
 
@Lmflora Yup, it would be easier if we had a run in shed and the boys could stay out.

Today a few things fell into place for mucking and slow feeder hay net lifting..I feel like I have some options now.

I'm starting to feel much better energy wise. As long as I get some icing and feet up times it is all good!

I will be fitter for second surgery, and we'll have a better idea of what is going on with Hubs.

Yep, your OS makes a lot of sense. My physio said to use cane/pole to have improved gait and that walking without wasn't the goal, if gait quality was lost...like when we get fatigued...totally agree
 
Last edited:
@NanaKP I am so sorry you've been so sore. Has there been a change in the weather. We have had spectacular weather, but I know when the rain comes back it is going to make me ache.

Hope you were able to be sweet to hubs this evening, despite all the aching. Good job on being kind all day! Nope, you are a keeper....no firing! LOL!!!

You will have to set the pace in recovery, and I'll trot along behind. At least I'll be able to cheer you on your first week or so, as I won't be Dolly Dilauded at that point!!

Hoping that you are more comfortable this evening :SUNsmile:

P.S. For some reason I thought you had had the hardware out...don't know why I though that. I am so impressed that you are functioning with all that stuff in your leg! Amazing! Glad you will be having out sooner vs. later.
Wishing you a better day tomorrow :flwrysmile:
 
@Mojo333 The things Hubs will to get out of a job! I mean really......he didn't have to go to such at effort :heehee: I just hope he gets taken care of quickly....so no medical emergencies needed thank you! I totally get the jest :wink: . I think I need that zig zag post again...NOT!

@Layla Everything happens for a reason, although not obvious at the time. I think of some of the really tough scenarios going on here, and am thankful for my lot in life :SUNsmile: . The walking is going great...I can walk out to the barn without my pole, but choose to use it to save my pending op leg!
 
Hip report...I tried the knee-shaped pillow that helps keep hips aligned while side sleeping. It works well for the knee area, but if you don't have a pillow between your legs further down, I still gets the uncomfortable pulling feeling around the incision area.
 
Last edited:
One thing I definitely don't miss about recovery...well, okay...there is more than one but the "try to figure how to get comfortable in bed" thing was just exasperating!
I could find that sweet spot..but it only stayed sweet for a short time.
Still such early days.
You are doing well...hope today is a Good Day @Alitm:loveshwr:
 
Good morning, @Alitm. Wow, the “hits keep on coming”, huh? But, I guess a small delay in your next surgery isn’t the end of the world, and it does give you another week to prepare, to be a little stronger/fitter, and more time to make arrangements for your husband/home/horses/farm. You don’t seem unduly concerned, as far as I can tell, so I hope it’s not a real setback. Glad to hear you continue to be sensible and pace yourself physically—the temptation to overdo things given your crazy busy life must be considerable. But continue to resist! You are going to get through this, one day at a time. Another day along our recovery path—hope it’s a good one for you.
 
Hi @Barbaraj Things happen for a reason, and an additional week will make me fitter again. Hopefully we can figure out an optimal time frame for hubby's surgery...not sure what that is, but it will come clear as things unfold. We are still waiting for a CT date! :skep: Things might happen quickly after that.

I can see the folk at the ODIC waving in the distance, with all sorts of temptations....but I will not succumb! I am glad of my four day visit in week two. Great defence!

I'm praying that I get driving clearance at my OS appointment on the 29th.

It is highly unusual for me to be this calm! I tend to like concrete schedules and have control of everything!! Don't know what has come over me to be honest!! I like it! :) . I think being outside and moving around more in our amazing weather really is good for stress!

My neighbour is stepping in to help with the mucking and the hay. Our youngest son will do weekends and has three weeks off over Christmas. Our daughter will be here on and off for two weeks at end of October. I have my regular horse sitter for the day of surgery and the two weeks after, while I am completely out of it!

My prayer is that hubby's surgery will be scheduled at a really optimum time, and that he doesn't have any complications in the meantime. If the wretched thing twists, it will become a medical emergency, and we don't want that! :shocked:

Today is a rest day, as the last two days have been busy. Hope you are having a good day :SUNsmile:
 
Steri-strip reaction...itching etc. I wanted to post to say that after I started to have that itchy reaction to the steri-strips over a week ago, (forgot to ask OS about what to do about it, duh!) I took Reactin (sp) for two days to off-set the itching. It took care of business straight away. I drank a bit more water than normal, to take care of any dehydration. I read the paperwork about contra-indications with other meds. I was taking Tylenol and aspirin at the time, and there was nothing in the Reactin paperwork that mentioned aspirin or Tylenol as being a problem. Wanted to share the experience for anyone else who has itching reaction to the steri-strips. Of course the best thing is to check with your doctor! Don't be like me and forget!
 
Hey there @Alitm, so happy to hear things are starting to line up for you. I was secretly hoping for a weeks delay because of my hubby’s shoulder, one more week would have had him in the “he can move it a little bit and not freak out club” and it seemed like I was behind on everything. But it’s over now. No steri strips for me, my incision was glued.

Went to see my mare today, drove over by myself, no I wasn’t cleared, but my THR was in the left, and I’m not taking pain killers anymore. I see OS tomorrow for the official clear a-oh-k.

Are your horses hunter-jumpers? Love watching eventing. I’m a cow horse girl myself, mare is in cutting training. Doing good too, it will be up to me to learn to ride her better, and differently with all my new parts.
Cheers
 
Hey @Lmflora, There is no trying to schedule these things to work out in our favour it seems! Remind me, does your hubby have one more surgery or has he had both RC fixed now? We are trying to get a CT date for hubby and that would be a start. Not sure how that is going to unfold!! LOL!!

How far is your mare from you? Is it an easy drive? My gelding is an hour away, and involves a technical drive, construction and skirting city traffic...ugh! Was it great to see her? Hope her training is going well. My guy's trainer stopped by yesterday to pick up a saddle and some blanket liners as he is going to clip the boy! It was great to chat about the training with him.

I went from eventing (so much fun but really time consuming to do get the horses fit), to the jumpers to dressage. I've always wanted to ride a a cutting horse...looks like so much fun! I want to do something fun when I get back in the saddle. There is a huge interest in working equitation. It reminds me of handy horse classes as a kid, but the higher levels are really fast and you don't have to get off and on...which with two new hips, I'd rather pass on! It is a two part test with a dressage test component as well. I also like to trail ride.

My op-hip is my right, and although I've been off meds for awhile, could use another 12 days to my check up, and get cleared for driving, at just over week six.

Have a good evening :)
 
Last edited:
Hey @Alitm, hubby’s next shoulder has not been scheduled yet. We’re thinking it will happen at end of year or first of year. He sees his OS on 11-13, we’ll know more then.

My mare is 15 minutes away, very low traffic, straight shot, no lights, easy drive for me. Not sure I would do it if I had your drive. Probably need the pain killers to make that drive!

I’m sure you will find your niche for competition on your horses, but I bet just getting on and going for that ride, relatively pain free and just getting that joy back is worth all of what your going through. It’s all about the joy of riding. I am excited for you.

Have a great evening :yahoo:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom