THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

@EL11 Relating a brief message from Etta to Albert. Please convey.

Etta thinks Albert looks very handsome and dignified in this above portrait ^ and added that she is and has always been very attracted to highly intelligent males, being as bookish as she is. She highly doubts however that Albert could ever beat her speed in a race across the living room or up the stairs.

I will convey Etta's message to Albert, who has retired to his mini-room and is probably asleep in his beige tower by now. He's a deep fellow and the bookishness would be a plus. I'm sure he'd say "It's on" to the race challenge, because Albert is an absolute speed demon, especially when batting something extremely tiny around the house, like a stud earring or popcorn kernel.

On the subject of opioids ... I ordered a pill cutter to halve the Oxy, taking two at night and figured I'd try 1 1/2. OTC meds work OK during the day but if I get off schedule, like today, I become achy and cranky. Today I had to ice my left hip, thigh, and knee, with some trepidation that now my knee is going and an announcement to the world at large that I refuse to have any more body parts replaced. Hoping it is just tied to the hip healing.

@Alitm I don't like the cane, am all right with the crutch ... with the RTHR I went from one crutch to nothing. I'm hoping I can do that again.
 
Last edited:
I used the pill cutter last night for first time @EL11 and was surprised how the half-dose seemed to work the same as the full! Although I've been feeling, since starting the steroid about a week ago, that it somehow magnifies the oxy effect....Not sure but it feels that way and I'd been trying to do some business today with a bit of a fog head. Anyways, I like the splitting in half for now and for the rest I'm becoming more ice dependent as the pain wears down more and more with the steroid.

Etta is also sleeping ....which is nothing out of the usual. :)
 
@EL11 I am using my neighbours walking sticks. They are great, super lightweight (carbon), cork handles and multiple tips, and can be purchased on Amazon.ca $58.99, so even less in the US! Quite the deal compared to MEC and others. I am totally in love with them! I am easing into them slowly, and can use as crutches when I first get out bed or chair and am stiff, or can use one as a crutch/cane. Given the way one holds it, it feels totally different than a cane, not wobbly like a cane. Once I warm up, I go to the left pole with right leg, right pole with left leg. Took me a couple of tries to get coordinated (!) but used them in my "activities of daily living" in the house today. Outside on the old road over to the barn, it requires more from the soft tissue, so I only walked half way out to the barn today and that was enough. My hip flexors are really tight...dressage riders have this issue, plus add the OA...so I can feel it at the top of my quad when I get to the edge of my limit, so stop, feet up and ice. I am able to take a longer stride with op leg on smooth surfaces, which is what the physio had encouraged me to do when I was on the crutches, to slowly stretch the tight OA contracted muscles. He said not to push it, but allow myself to take longer stride and be mindful to do so, all within my comfort. The poles are one more transition from crutch to getting a more even gait, to walking solo. Wanted to share my experience today with you and also with @Barbaraj , who I think is on one, but might want to try two if that works for her. If you can borrow a pair, with rubber tip, from a friend, I'd definitely try them when you feel ready. Maybe see what your physio has to say about them, for you.

@1stSurgery I have a nice pill cutter and coffee grinder in the barn, used for "preparing" literal horse pills to put in applesauce and syringe down equine throats! :yikes: . Have you tried the walking sticks in your hippy adventures? I'm a total convert now!
 
No, I haven't tried them @Alitm but you make it sound very appealing there ^ !! I'm glad they're working so well for you. I may look into it.

I think I'm so anxious to get off the cane and in to just walking that I've not thought about adding another stage, but it does sound like a good way to get that gait back. Hubby keeps reminding me of my former walk (that i used to have). Long legged, so it was a big stride that I'd love to rediscover after all these bones, muscles and tendons re-settle into their new homes!!

I have so much to do in the next few weeks that is all unfortunately on tight deadlines that I'm kind of pressing ahead now with too much vigor... and I can see the silhouette of the distant gates of the ODIC on the horizon.... beckoning to me!!
Oh no!! :yikes::yikes: HELP!!!

Tonight I did way too much hunched over computer work that sent the new happier hip into a bit of a grumble and groan. Ice ice baby. But the good news here is that awful pain I'd been having has really remained totally manageable now ...and not even worthy of medicating very much. Hence the pill splitter. Today my meds were ice ...which sufficed until now when I just left the computer post and noticed my body was walking away bent over in the shape of a chair... Signs we have stayed too long at the fair! So now it's pill splitter time. :)

Sleep well @Alitm. Soon you will start your COUNTDOWN to #2!! :happydance: How many days now??
 
@1stSurgery I am so pleased that normal is returning, although the ODIC is still a real possibility! So glad you pain/discomfort is totally manageable now. What a time you had with all that.

I am dreading no 2, but also really wanting it to be behind me! Four weeks tomorrow, but who is counting!!

Sleep well! :sleep:

Good night John Boy!!
 
I'm intrigued by your mentions of canes and walking sticks. I assumed they were metal ones like the ones I was given in hospital? Strange the difference between countries. No one mentioned crutches and they didn't really want me to take the zimmer frame home. The physio who called shortly after my discharge disapproved of the frame although I still kept using it during the night.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!
    20181011_094051.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 133
:hi: Happy Thursday!
Four weeks to go. I hope it passes as fast, or as slow, as you want it to.
You've done so well with this recovery, hope that eases any anxiety you have about Hip 2.
You know we'll be here for you. You've been a sweet addition to the forum with your well wishes and sunny disposition. :SUNsmile:
Hope today is a good one :loveshwr:
@Alitm
 
@Layla thanks so much! The time has really sped up for sure. Hoping rightie will be as strong as possible going into surgery. The move to the walking poles. Is a good thing, and the next step for me. It is more tiring and I am mindful of that.
Without having that awful energy drain, I fell asleep in the recliner before dinner last night and slept for a couple of hours, zthat was telling of the extra energy required on the piles, and perhaps another shift in healing. All things to be mindful of! Also, ate dinner but was starving two hours later!!!Wishing you a good almost weekend :flwrysmile:
P.S. I am desperate to go and visit my young horse before second surgery. How would an hour’s drive, with hubs driving, there and back, with a half hour visit( can bring achair and ice) do at seven weeks post op? Am I crazy to even consider it?
 
How would an hour’s drive, with hubs driving, there and back, with a half hour visit( can bring achair and ice) do at seven weeks post op?
You might be stiff sitting for that long but if it were me I would go for it.
 
@pickpeg the differences are interesting for sure. My OS said to me a my recent visit about the steri- strips and the itching that he thought I might be able to get off the walker sooner than ten days this time and go right to the walking sticks on this second surgery in four weeks! I find he holds the bar high. It just depends on how the first hip heals in the next four weeks. I am not going to push it, and will just keep within activities of daily living which give me plenty of walking about time in the house. I consider walking on the uneven driveway over to the barn cross trsinimg! Find it difficult on the soft tissue structures again, so must moderate!!! I do much prefer the poles to the cane
How are you doing? When I get onto the computer I’ll come over to your thread for a visit!
 
@Jacey thank you for you feedback!
There is a lovel park about half way there where I could stretch my legs, so perhaps i’ll do that.
It has been one of the hardest things I’ve had to do, send a horse out like this. I am so glad though, as it would have been way too much for Husband if Somerset had stayed here....
:fasthorse:
 
Good morning, @Alitm, I hope your day is starting out well. Hard to believe you've come so far and now have relatively little time before #2 gets replaced. I am sure it's a mixture of fear ("holy moly, I have to go through this AGAIN?!) and the feeling that you can't wait to get it over with. But, as I've said several times, you can give yourself a pat on the back--you've done so fabulously and if anyone is in the position to have back-to-back hip replacement, you'd be the one I'd vote for. Glad to hear the walking poles are working for you. I am only using one because the coordination required by two seemed too complicated (yeah, my brain is still a bit foggy despite no narcotics). But I don't have the kind of stiffness/tightness in my hip flexors--that was something I focused on pre-surgery and it seems to have served me well as mine aren't particularly tight. I continue to walk unaided around the house but the walking pole definitely provides added security on those rare occasions when I'm out and also serve as a red flag to those passing by, "red alert, hobbling lady approaching" so they steer clear.
 
FWIW @Alitm I'm with @Jaycey and vote Yes...go see that horsey! Definitely! I think it will do you far more benefit than any possible harm in the end. Just know your parameters to avoid the ODIC gates automatic opening...and yes, allow enough time to stop at the beautiful park on the way and stretch a bit, maybe pack a picnic. Take ice and good cushions, a bevy of pillows. Water. Even the park trip will be a boost to your health and thereby your immunity in getting ready for #2 in... In....

FOUR WEEKS!!
:scare:
BUT... who's Counting??
:heehee:

 
I vote yes too! I think you'll do fine. I'd definitly stop half way and stretch and walk a bit.
If you go, I hope you ENJOY and let us know how it goes.
Hugs
@Alitm
 
@Mojo333 Have been thinking about you....how did you make out with Michael? Hopefully not toooooo bad in the damage department.

Ya, save that for other horse folk LOL!!
 
Dodged most of the bad stuff...some power outages and bad wind...lots of small debris mostly...spotty big tree damage.
For a change, I didn't lose power.
Little Mojo dog hates storms so insisted I stay up on watch for most of Night so my eyelids are already heavy!

Super busy at food bank too so...
:dead:
 
@Mojo333 :mcoffee: . Poor you...hope you get some good Zs tonight :sleep:! Great you didn't lose power. I is always soo hot after a hurricane...and then not to have power is the pits.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom