Guest viewing is limited

THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Happy one month Hipversary!
You are doing just great!:tada:

One month prime time for cabin fever and post op blues.
Just very annoying...this recovery business.
I had business donation pickups and an outdoor wedding to attend.
Wore heels for four hours...so legs are rather achy. Uneven ground not helpful either.
I kind-of wish I was back in recovery days...ice and recliner...Kinda, but not really!:heehee:
Hope today is a Good Day!:roseshwr:
 
Hey, Happy Sunday and Happy One Month Anniversary!

Sorry your knee is bothering you. My knee bothered me also after surgery. I had the bruising on the side of it and it was tight / stiff. Mine still felt tighter than normal at 6 mo post op, so OS had me get x-rays showing mild arthritis. Something I was unaware of and had never bothered me before THR. Still doesn't really bother me ever pain wise. Often a bit stiffer than normal, not much though.

Try not to set your expectations too high so you're not let down. You're doing really well! With another surgery coming up quickly, maybe focus on next Spring and Summer as when you'll be feeling great. Allow yourself that time in between now and then to focus on yourself and healing. It sounds far off but with the holidays quickly approaching, then the cold Winter months when many of us hibernate more anyway, you'll be resting, healing and ready to fully engage once the days warm and lengthen. Just think how great you'll be feeling by then. :happydance:

Love the explanation and horse photos by the way. Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a great day. It's snowing in my neck of the woods. Yes, SNOWING! :bawl: Average high temp is supposed to be 60 degrees and the leaves are changing, not even at their peak yet! Mother Nature must be drunk today :shrug:
 
Good grief, @Alitm has it really been an entire month since you're surgery? You are doing so well, although sorry your knee is bothering. Lots of explanations provided by others that might explain why this is happening but it would seem as if until you get hip #2 fixed, it will perhaps be something you'll just have to put up with for now. I do think our gait must be thrown off somewhat if you've really got two hips that are bad, since it throws you ever so slightly off balance and this might put added pressure on your knee(s) or it could be the "man handled" during your surgery that is causing discomfort. In any case, it is what it is--onwards! With the pleasant fall weather in your neck of the woods, glad to hear you are taking time to get outside for some walks. It's not just the exercise but a celebration of fall, with beautiful changing color leaves, crisp and cool temperatures, and blue skies! Enjoy, and have a great Sunday.
 
@Mojo333 Brave you wearing heals and on uneven ground!! What a giggle about you missing the recliner and ice....NOT!!! :rotfl: . Hope the aches resolve soon :yes: Yup, one month out....and three weeks and three days to second surgery! Bring it on!

I was so grumpy yesterday, and by days end wrote it off to prime time for cabin fever and post op blues. So helpful to know it was normal, and be able to vent here. Thank you to BoneSmart again :SUNsmile:
Wishing you a relaxing Sunday:flwrysmile:
 
@Layla Thank you for your feedback about your knee. It has been really helpful to know that the knee issue is often a "thing" post op. I'm icing away and heal toeing it :) My sights for now are on walking enough to not feel like a bilateral for second surgery (as I've not had the benefit of getting it all done at once!)....but will stay within the BoneSmart activity guide for sure. Don't need any other issues! :whistle:

Hopefully this winter we will get rain for the most part, so I can continue to walk and move into hiking when the time is right. Also I have to start doing barn chores again, slowly but surely. The riding will come later in the spring. In 2017 we had crazy snow...record breaking, but usually we get two snow falls, and they last about a week. With climate change, our moderate Vancouver Island "Mediterranean" seasons have been all over the shop!

You are getting snow already, when it is supposed to be 60 degrees?? Noooooooo! Mother Nature really must have slipped a few :martini:. Hopefully it is just a dusting?! Stay warm!
Thank you for all your encouragement, so appreciated :flwrysmile:
 
@Barbaraj Thank you for your morning boosts...I love them :yes:! Today is a better day for sure! As @Mojo333 was reminding me , one month out is prime time for post op blues and cabin fever. I was certainly feeling that yesterday. Helpful that that little link came out with our post op BoneSmart notes, so not a complete surprise :yes: God bless BoneSmart :)

Yup, so helpful to have everyone's feedback about my knee. Today it seems better with additional icing....I'll keep at that and be aware of my gait. I knew I'd have to put up with the crookedness of both hips going in opposite directions posture-wise (not sure if you experienced the hip/pelvis going out behind you vs. staying under your torso with your hip), plus the length difference between surgeries.
Another stunning day here so heading out for another walk! :yes!:
Wishing you a wonderful Sunday :flwrysmile:
 
@Jaycey Thank you for your helpful feedback. Much appreciated!

I had read through your surgery threads in the last few days, looking for your references to your knee issues. I agree, more icing, stay on the walking poles and try not to aggravate anything before second surgery! I've upped the knee icing specifically and it has really helped. I'm due to see my phsyio in a couple of weeks, so will have him check my gait etc. If things get fraught before that, I'll make an earlier appointment. I'm back in surgery in just three and a half weeks, and I know with each coming week the time will go by quickly.

I was so sad to read about your kitty's passing right after you came home from your second surgery. That must have been so very difficult :sad:.
Hope you had a restful Sunday :flwrysmile:
 
Good Morning from the West Coast of Canada land. After being totally frustrated on Saturday, by Sat PM things had shifted yet again (zig zag) and I was walking around the farm on my walking sticks. The cruising the counters graduated to just walking. I walked the length of our bathroom (not huge) on Saturday afternoon as I just forgot my walking stick. Then yesterday I walked the length of our hallway from our bedroom to kitchen, because I could. Icing the knee a ton, and it has settled down a bit more...but not going to push it. etc. I am doing two regular walks a day, spaced out, from house to barn, from barn down past ring and pasture and back up to house on road way. Including slight slopes. I ice and rest after each trip around. Amazing. Going slow and not increasing anything. So that is the good news!

The bad news is that I'm scrambling for horse care for Tall and Small:sos:, as my hubby has developed a hernia! :yikes:Poor guy. He is fit and strong so we are both scratching our heads as to how this happened. He doesn't recall lifting anything extra heavy from the norm. The only thing I can think of is that he has been replacing fence posts in the cow pasture. We lease, along with two other neighbours, a large communal pasture to our dairy farmer neighbour down the road, for his heifers (about 30) to come every spring through late summer. Hubs and one neighbour were fixing up one line of fencing for a couple of weeks. That, plus adding in my horse work, plus hubs doing everything in the house, just added up we guess. He went to his doctor's office yesterday, as they also do walk in on Sunday's, and has been told NO heavy lifting. Ultrasound has been ordered and surgery for hubs will be coming up. Not sure of the timing on all this. He needs to be really careful, as it is bigger than I'd like He tried mucking again this AM, against my wishes, but it is definitely out of the picture. It could be a lot worse, as I think of @Cassidy's situation. Hubs will also be out of action for awhile though.
 
Happy Monday @Alitm
Great news on your progress!
I'm very sorry to hear about your husband's hernia. I hope you find the help you need
and pray for perfect timing for his surgery in relation to your upcoming date.
I hope you have a nice week and continue to notice progress.
Wishing comfort for your hubby.
 
Oh dear - the news about Hubby is certainly not welcome! Do you have anyone you can call on temporarily? Maybe teenagers or college students who need a bit of extra cash. I know how hard it is to find help with these animals. I have no one to call on so we never go anywhere.

Hope you can find a solution soon. And tell Hubby easy does it!
 
I have a horse sitter, who is prohibitively expensive IMO (I did a lot of horse sitting for extra cash years ago...but we couldn't get anywhere near what folks are charging now!). I've sent her a text, text my vet about it to see if she knows of anyone, and will call my neighbours in a minute. I helped another neighbour stack hay for yet another neighbour with physical issues, a few years back. I'm hoping that young guy I stacked with might be able to help. Something will shake out. Yes @Jaycey it is hard to find good farm help, that doesn't break the bank. I feel like by the time I go into second surgery I probably could have started in, as I'd be 8 weeks...but obviously that isn't going to happen. I could probably do feeds in a weeks time, but I can't push it either! Something will shake out....:praying: :fingersx:
 
Oh, @Alitm, that is tough news about your husband! The timing is horrible, of course, but nobody can plan for this sort of thing. I hope you get some added help figured out and that somehow the surgeries for yourself and your husband can be scheduled in a manner that will work for you both. Don't get discouraged! I think when we're physically not ourselves our emotions get affected, too. Getting "dumped on" like this can be harder to handle when you're already struggling with recovery from your own surgery, facing a second one coming up rapidly and now having this new worry about your husband and getting help on your farm. I am so sorry--sending you positive, strong thoughts this morning! Hang in there!
 
and will call my neighbours in a minute. I helped another neighbour stack hay for yet another neighbour with physical issues, a few years back. I'm hoping that young guy I stacked with might be able to help. Something will shake out.

My mother has some property with about 8-10 horses, some cows, goats, etc. They do a lot of trade. Most people that live in that area have animals so they help each other out when someone is ill or on vacation sometimes. I’m guessing your biggest issue is the length of time that you need help? 8 weeks is a long time. One thing my mom has done recently while dealing with moving my great grandmother from Southern California to an assisted living facility close to us in Nevada, she has a second small house on her property and has let a single mother stay there in exchange for helping with the animals. It has worked out pretty well. Not sure what you have available but it never hurts to think outside the box and try to consider other ways than directly hiring someone!
 
I have a horse sitter, who is prohibitively expensive IMO
Just curious, how much do they charge for this? Horses are a bit easier than donkeys as they can stay out in the paddock at night. Donkeys need to be on hard standing for part of the day so have to be brought in at night. Most people are just not willing to do multiple visits in a day.
I could probably do feeds in a weeks time, but I can't push it either!
Yes, please don't push it. I am certain you can't do feeds while needing good support from walking sticks. Hopefully you will get some help. Wish I was near - I'd volunteer!
 
Awww, So sorry to hear about your hubby, @Alitm! I remember you just recently saying he'd rearranged the feed (or something?) in the barn .... put everything up higher? Do you think you might want to consider having a caregiver for first week or so of your next surgery? Depending on how the two recovery periods stack up together, it might behoove you to consider. Of course ideally you find a post op double caregiver who also tends to hernias, horses and barns! So sorry you guys have that added stress on the table now. But your attitude is good - expecting it to all shake out and that a solution will be found. At least it's not your first hip when there were more unknowns about recovery. Going to be loads of ice in the @Alitm househild this winter. Wishing you a perfect solution - coming in soon.
 
Last edited:
@Alitm
it must be very difficult trying to manage the animals especially as your husband is laid up too now.
I currently have a sheep with fly strike and my husband had had to go away for 3 days. I feel very guilty that I can't get out to see the ewe but husband did his best to make her comfortable before he went.

Have you thought about something like Helpex? People who will help out around a farm in exchange for food and lodgings. I haven't used them myself but I have friends who have used them very successfully.

Hopefully you get it sorted quickly and then it will be a weight of your minds.
 
@Jaycey Thank you so much for your kind offer...cyber feeding...beam me up Scottie! I have coverage for three days. Our daughter will be here for a few days and can help out. Just need to confirm dates with her. Our almost 18 year old son leaves here at seven and doesn't get back until ten as he has a part time job and is really involved with school and sports. Our barn set up is that we have three big stalls (was an existing barn so had to build around four supports) and all three have run outs to pea gravel pens, so they are never locked in a stall. They are on pasture during the day, but come in at night, due to the abundant wild life in the area! The pasture isn't right off the run outs or barn unfortunately. It would be SO easy if they could stay out. The horse sitter we use for a two-night get-away charges me, for when all three horses are in residence, CN$40 a day (which I think is really pricey!). If a horse cuts himself or colics, she knows her stuff though, so when we are really away, she can handle that kind of thing. However, we are here, although incapacitated to some extent and only Tall and Small in residence. We simply can't afford that, it would be less expensive by a long shot, to board out, but there isn't anything great near us. I'm networking with the neighbours, and all the horse gang. I'm confident something will shake out.

I went out to the barn today, and groomed the Tall horse, as our weather keeps fluctuating and he worked up a sweat under his turnout sheet and it had dried and was nasty. Husband put Tall on cross ties for me and took turnout sheet off and put it back on for me. Tall is really well trained as I've had him since he was three. He holds his feet up to be picked out, and I can lean on him and pretty much do anything with him. He just stands there. I brushed where I could comfortably reach. I'm back in on ice and feel pretty good. I swapped that out for my regular AM walk. I am walking quite a lot unassisted now, it just seems to be coming, but I'm not pushing it. Staying with the one pole for the most part, to save the bad hip and troubled knee...the latter seems to be hanging in there with lots of icing.

@MrDIY Thanks so much for your feed back. We really would like to have the set up that your Mum has with the small house. We have a really cute logging cabin on the property, but it needs work...one of my husbands many projects! We were leaving it until next summer, when I plan on being fully functional again, so can do the painting phase at least! It would be ideal to do a deal with the rent for basic horse chores set up. Timing sucks, but that's life! So nice to vent here!

@Barbaraj Thanks for the moral support..so appreciated! I'm just thankful it isn't anything more serious with Hubs. He just needs to be very careful at the moment. No lifting, straining or twisting. He has to wait three weeks (the doctor said) for an ultrasound, but it could be longer. One has to wait for them to call you back, or get a letter in the mail about your date. We are looking into private diagnostics too...but the wait times are long for ultrasound...booking into February! An MRI could be done next week, at one private facility, but they are having some maintenance issues with the MRI equipment...so maybe not..said to call back. An MRI is overkill though, and about $800 more expensive.. The ultra-sound wait time is longer for private than it is for public health!! Insanity! Surgery wait times are at least three weeks...so it is hurry up and wait.
 
@1stSurgery Ya, terrible time! Poor husband! A year ago it was prostate surgery (benign) and now this...all down "there"! So glad it didn't happen before first surgery. Knowing the ropes, sort of....hoping for no major curve balls...for second time around is helpful. It may be that we have to have a variety of muckers and feeders coming and going and it will be like a patchwork quilt of help!
 
@Bionic Oh NO on the fly strike...that is nasty! So hard when the animals need daily consistent care. I hope your ewe will be OK while your hubby is away.

Thanks for the reminder re: Helplex. We call folks who do this "woofers", the originated working on organic farms but it has become a generic name for working on a farm in exchange for food and lodging. We don't really have enough work for them....but it has reminded me to get in contact with a couple of other folks who have had woofers etc. Thank you!
 
@MrDIY I completely forgot to ask how YOU are doing? How is it going, four days out from bilateral surgery? How is the pain management? Swelling under control with icing? Sleep? Naps? Thinking of you and hope you are managing week one.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom