THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

@EL11 I totally agree. I'm taking the Tylenol regularly again, resting between walks around the house (the weather has been really rainy, and I'm not ready to galavant out in the rain just yet!)/ "activities of daily living". Feels like the best course of action for me right now. I know after #2 surgery I'll be on the heavier stuff for longer. Really want to give #1 surgical hip the best walking and meds balance I can for optimum healing before second surgery. I bet if I wasn't needing more surgery, I'd be pushing the envelope a bit more, or something equally as foolish :whistle:

The sleeping at night is key too, and the OS stressed that. I still have quite a lot of Tramacet left from the last Rx. I know it is there if I get desperate. I do refuse (ha ha) to put myself in a poor pain situation due to my own foolishness though!! That energy drain in week two was enough! I feel as if I should have a million stickies on my bathroom mirror for daily reminders to stay on track sometimes though! :heehee: . I guess it is just human nature to want to do more.

Also re: sleep, if you find yourself off the Oxy and on a full compliment of Tylenol, and still are fidgeting at night there are other things to help, if you are not already doing so... I take magnesium every night for leg cramps anyway, but it does relax me as well, as it is relaxing the muscles. Also, I take 3 mg of melatonin when I'm having a really hard time with sleep, but not all the time. The other thing is I down loaded Insight Timer on my phone from the advice of @stellaluna. It is a meditation app and I used it al lot pre-op and then again post op for about two weeks. It was always there if I needed it. Then, this last week, with getting fidgety in the recliner, wanting to be in bed but not getting it 100% just right with the pillows, I pulled out the phone, turned on the music section. I was so irritated by the not being able to figure out the sleep thing, that I didn't feel I could listen to a medicative voice!!! The app has meditative music of all sorts as well. I particularly like the animal sounds and sounds of the ocean. Found that soothing. You can select how long you want to meditate or listen to meditative music for etc. Sharing for what it is worth!

Good luck with the schedule!
 
Also re: sleep, if you find yourself off the Oxy and on a full compliment of Tylenol, and still are fidgeting at night there are other things to help, if you are not already doing so... I take magnesium every night for leg cramps anyway, but it does relax me as well, as it is relaxing the muscles. Also, I take 3 mg of melatonin when I'm having a really hard time with sleep, but not all the time. The other thing is I down loaded Insight Timer on my phone from the advice of @stellaluna. It is a meditation app and I used it al lot pre-op and then again post op for about two weeks. It was always there if I needed it. Then, this last week, with getting fidgety in the recliner, wanting to be in bed but not getting it 100% just right with the pillows, I pulled out the phone, turned on the music section. I was so irritated by the not being able to figure out the sleep thing, that I didn't feel I could listen to a medicative voice!!! The app has meditative music of all sorts as well. I particularly like the animal sounds and sounds of the ocean. Found that soothing. You can select how long you want to meditate or listen to meditative music for etc. Sharing for what it is worth!

Thank you! I do have a meditation app, just a start bell, intervals and and an ending chime, but I sometimes meditate with no app at night. I downloaded the Insight one to try.

I ordered a sleep aid from Amazon with melatonin, magnesium, valerian, chamomile.

Soon I'll be moving upstairs, down the hall from Albert's wee room. Up there I have an air purifier that functions as a white noise machine. A couple of times I forgot to turn it on, Albert was meowing to be let out while I was asleep, and I had nightmares that he was in peril! Once, being chased by a tiger! I told my boyfriend and he said, "Albert could beat any tiger."

The young woman PT is coming tomorrow for an assessment. Truth be told, I have not been walking as much as I think would be good for my state of mind. I have some writing to do tomorrow and Wed. but think it would be good to spend more time up and moving at internals.

I know after #2 surgery I'll be on the heavier stuff for longer.
That's the way it's been with me, but you'll see what you will see!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!
    Albert 10.8.18.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 127
@EL11 . Sounds as if you are well covered in the sleeping department! Our seventeen year old sleeps with a small fan on, loves the white noise!

It will be helpful to know when you transition off and what works for you, to give me a rough idea as to what to expect. Did you find you had to take stronger doses than last time, or just be on the narcotic meds for a longer period, but at the relatively same dosage? I know it will be what it will be, but it is nice to have a benchmark to refer to. Sounds like staying on the narcotics for a longer period of time to sleep has really helped.

I'm trying harder today to stay on schedule :thumb:

I'm sure Albert would hold his own with a Tiger....for starters Albert is smarter...he is mostly Siamese!

Have a comfortable evening and a restful night!
 
@EL11 . Sounds as if you are well covered in the sleeping department! Our seventeen year old sleeps with a small fan on, loves the white noise!

It will be helpful to know when you transition off and what works for you, to give me a rough idea as to what to expect. Did you find you had to take stronger doses than last time, or just be on the narcotic meds for a longer period, but at the relatively same dosage? I know it will be what it will be, but it is nice to have a benchmark to refer to. Sounds like staying on the narcotics for a longer period of time to sleep has really helped.

I'm trying harder today to stay on schedule :thumb:

I'm sure Albert would hold his own with a Tiger....for starters Albert is smarter...he is mostly Siamese!

Have a comfortable evening and a restful night!

For the right hip, when I went in for my 2-week post-op appointment I was down to one a night and the doc gave me one more prescription. I kept taking the one 5 mg Oxy and stopped at around the 6-week mark, a week before the second surgery. This time I had more pain and when I went in to see the OS, also at the 2-week mark, I was taking 6 a day (30 mg). Then all last week I just took two at night, having talked through the daytime OTC meds plan with him. As I've said, the physical therapists and nurse both said I had nothing to worry about with 30 mg a day, and reiterated that getting enough sleep is key; I just felt impaired and mood-altered.

Today is exactly the 3-week mark for me. I have just enough left of this prescription to taper down to one in a week if not sooner. The morning ache was slightly less this morning, not as "puky" if you know what I mean.

Have a restful night too!

P.S. Oh yes, Albert is smart ... his last name is Einstein so a lot has been expected of him.
 
@EL11 Relating a brief message from Etta to Albert. Please convey.

Etta thinks Albert looks very handsome and dignified in this above portrait ^ and added that she is and has always been very attracted to highly intelligent males, being as bookish as she is. She highly doubts however that Albert could ever beat her speed in a race across the living room or up the stairs.

Carry on!
 
I'm going to be asking OS office tomorrow at appointment about the oxy wean off schedule as well. I'm taking a pretty low dose a few times / day (5mg) but now, mostly just at night before bed as it really locks in a decent sleep I find. But I'm also a super lightweight with meds and prone to get nervous symptoms if they are there to be had at withdrawal. So I want to do it right and gently. Will let you know what they say. I think the current pain levels --around 5-6 at max and 2-3 when at rest -- are manageable with an OTC product. Since the steroid added component has helped with the pain. It's been two weeks on the roxycodone now and I think I read somewhere that's a time you might want to start thinking about cutting back if possible and if pain is low enough. Hoping we all can phase out comfortably, with no discernible issues or withdrawal side effects.
 
Last edited:
I'm healing, NOT training!!! :heehee: I take breaks and ice and get my feet up in the recliner between all activities.

I want to quote this on everyone's thread...all the time. :ok:

You are doing splendidly and once number two recovery is done...your recovery story will be a shining example for others trying to figure things out after THR.
Love love!:loveshwr:
Hope your day is Sweet!
 
Good afternoon, @Alitm, once again I have to give you a shout-out, you are so focused and disciplined about trying to do the right things to prepare for both of your surgeries--none of this fly-by-night **** that a lot of us (well, me) feel guilty of when contemplating surgery! I only continued to do daily exercise as I was able, bought a bottle of extra strength Tylenol, and removed the throw rug on my side of the bed. Post surgery, the first week felt like a bit of a blur and I simply got confused about when to take medication and day and night fuzzed together. But, about 5 days in I did start to get more focused and deliberate about staying ahead of pain (hence the 2:00 or 2:30 wake-up alarm for the Tramadol). But by the start of the second week I forgot to set an alarm but realized that I actually slept through the night--hallelujah--and while the usual stiffness upon awakening, I wasn't in pain. Since then no Tramadol at night, and down to only a morning dose of Tylenol and an evening one when I remember (!) Like you, and many others probably, I will be facing this surgery again at some point for my left hip (ugh, and double ugh) although hoping to get much more time than you. But my left hip was asymptomatic before surgery and I hope it stays that way for at least six months before it starts aching. With your second surgery almost on top of you again, I can well understand your discipline and desire to get as prepared as possible. Just wanted to say that I think you're doing a fabulous job! You are still my idol!:) :-) (:
 
@Barbaraj You make me laugh, I was a train wreck the first week and a half, with those wretched drugs...a necessary evil, but goodness, my brain was scrambled. Honestly I couldn't focus, process or remember a thing. I'm not looking forward to them again, but will just "write off" the period I have to be on them again! I'm going to chat with my surgeon at the six week check, about what he means by "take as needed" but "stay ahead of the pain" as those two statements don't work in tandem, IMO!!! LOL!! You are doing exactly what works for you, and we have some moments where things don't work so well, and we figure it out. The zig zags of recovery really aren't helpful either. The last two days I was icing my op leg knee, thinking that I might have to have that replaced before my left hip (I exaggerate, but you take my point I'm sure!), like a mad woman. Today it seems fine...who knows what tomorrow will bring! :chinstroke:

I sure hope your left hip keeps calm and carries on for a very long time for you. When it is time to replace it, BoneSmart will be here for you :)

Honestly, I have to thank my horses and my horse vet(s) for "training" me on the methodical approach. I can't take any credit for it at all....and I'm not always level headed, that is for sure:fasthorse:! Over the years, I've had an 8 month rehab schedule to follow for each of the two soft tissue injuries I've rehabbed, and a four month schedule for the one fracture. One works pretty much hands on with the vets. Most owners have to do all the icing, support bandaging (instead of the lovely stockings many THR folk have to wear), hand walking, and then riding in rehab...again very methodical. We watch over the vet's shoulder, as she/he ultrasounds and/or x-rays (at various intervals in the recovery) the patient, and the vet explains everything they are seeing. If someone had told me then, that I was actually in training for two THR's, I'd have thought them mad!
Anyway, here we are, and we are doing it! :cheers2:Here is to the thrill of the zig zag recovery, healing and normal activities :yes!: . Slow as molasses on a bran mash - for horses of course:heehee:.
 
Good morning, @Alitm, hope you're starting your day off right. I do think you are lucky to have been involved with animal rehab to give you a much better insight than the rest of us about your own recovery. And nice that you can make the clear connection between animal rehab and your recovery and are willing to apply some of the same principles--one of the reasons I find your posts so informative. And you can demur all you want about how "scrambled" your brain felt that first week and a half, but you still managed to post coherent and interesting posts daily. And while I'm sure number 2 is in my future for a hip replacement, I don't know if I'd be coping as well as you if I was faced with having this done as soon as you're looking forward to--I think, frankly, I'd be a lot more whiny and depressed at the prospect instead of calmly and accepting and moving forward.
 
:wave: and a good afternoon/evening to everyone. Sorry to be all silent and go MIA on ya'll!

My steri-strips were being naughty, and hanging on tight, and causing some kind of reaction. Itching like mad. Ended up going to see the OS, who took off all the strips as he felt they'd had plenty of time to do what needed to be done, and they were irritating me. The wound looks great and he thought the red spot under a couple of the strips was irritation. Today the itchy red spots are spreading, although not on the incision, just where the ends of the strips had been. So strange! I had a shower before I went to the OS yesterday, and I haven't had one yet today. Think I will soon wash away any residual irritant from the steri strips. I just took some Reactin (doesn't read to be contraindicated when on baby asprin and Tylenol). I feel like the icing is also making it worse. I know that sounds a little crazy, but I went through a strange phase about twenty years ago or longer, when I held a really cold diet coke (terrible stuff!) can in my hand, my hands would get really red and itchy. I went to my GP at the time, and she said one can actually have that reaction to cold. I looked it up, and it is in fact a "thing"! Anyhow, that doesn't happen when holding a G & T, so I stopped drinking Diet Coke :heehee:...poison for one anyway.

I was so happy that he didn't think it was any kind of infection, completely forgot to ask what to put on it. It was one small area, so wasn't too worried. I'll call again tomorrow if it doesn't calm down from the Reactin.

I vaguely remember someone else having this allergic issues with the steri-strips, please comment if you recall what you did about it.
 
Last edited:
I’m “allergic to the cold” so it really is a thing @Alitm alhough it has gotten much better than when I was young. When I was a kid and would go sledding with friends, I would run into the house to warm up and have huge welts on my thighs - so itchy! And in winter when I got to school my hands were so swollen with hives, i couldn’t write for an hour.
Much better now and ice doesn’t bother me, whether it’s on my thigh or in a margarita!

So good to see you doing so well!
 
While I was at the OS's office yesterday, with my one crutch, he asked me how the transition to the cane was going!!! I hung my head in shame and said I hated the cane :heehee:! He reminded me about trying walking poles, which I had mentioned a week or so ago (OS had suggested trying them instead of the cane) to my neighbour...who had offered to lend me hers...but I hadn't taken her up on them. I called the neighbour when I got home, and she kindly brought them over, showed me how to fit them to me, and how to "walk" with them. I had no idea that I had it in me, or that I was ready for it, but I can walk with them!!! YAY!! I have tried them out again today. I can use one as a cane, if I'm carrying something, and if I'm just walking around the house, I use both to get my almost equal strides. They are amazing in the difference they make, and so much better than the crutch (so glad I used them though). They are pretty awesome to be honest. The cane is gong back to the Red Cross, never to be seen again :rotfl:, as long as I can help it!!!
 
@Knitquilt I believe you! You are the first person who has believed me! :heehee:

I'm going to leave off the ice for the rest of today, just to see what happens! So itchy! I'm hoping that it is a combo effect, steri strips plus ice! I can't remember when it stopped, or why. Do you?

Most of my friends thought I'd lost my marbles when I told them about my hands! It was always when the can of soda came out of a really icy cooler, on a really hot day. So strange! I didn't believe my GP at first either...though she was pulling my leg!
 
I guess we’re just delicate flowers @Alitm :cheers:

I never had steri strips so I don’t know how/why ice would affect them. If you do want to ice, maybe put a thicker layer between ice and you?

Human body is a strange, wonderful thing ...
 
I always am surprised when my body acts like a delicate flower :loll: @Knitquilt.

I guess one can over ice?!!! Hopefully that area will be calm and not need ice for a little bit!
Here is to us all :flwrysmile:
 
@An54 My daughter has Renaud’s and her fingertips or toes can turn very blue/white in cold ocean water or when she skis. She always carries the packets that warm up with her. It’s weird - she can have 9 normal looking fingers and one finger that has gone completely white. I don’t think I have that - doctors have just said allergic to the cold - who knows - maybe I do and have passed it on to my daughter.

Ok- going to stop derailing this thread!
 
@An54 I don't have Renaud's I don't think. I have a friend who has it, and I've seen her hands...not nice. I've not had an issue since the Diet Coke days. I took a Reactin and it is getting better. I think it is the old "allergic to cold" coming back to haunt me, in addition to the steri-strips being on beyond their time perhaps. So weird they didn't want to come off, despite showering. Good for the incision though. I have had my ice machine on 24/7 while sitting in my chair. Who knows...as long as it goes away I'm ok!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom