Guest viewing is limited

TKR Celebrate the little wins

Looks great. Another milestone down on the recovery journey. :cheers::flwrysmile:
 
Your incision is healing well. Take the tramadol when you need it. You’re doing very well.
 
4 weeks tomorrow from LTKR

Having a bad few days. I’m in more pain as I do a bit more - I know you’ll say stop doing it then but it’s frustrating! Friday was the first day by myself so getting drinks and food etc. Was sore by the night time. Saturday I drove for the 1st time as I drive an automatic car. Only took 50mgs of tramadol in the morning so I was ok to drive. Drove to wool shop and sat down to choose wool then to get a coffee - which involved a very short walk from car and back again. Really sore and stiff rest of the day. Sunday was husbands birthday so out for Sunday lunch - again more pain than has been usual. Monday rested all day and still much more pain than usual and now unable to sleep for it. Just taken morphine for first time in a week and have had 300mgs of tramadol during the day too. I’m 53 so quite young for a knee replacement and externally swelling has gone down loads. Wound looking ok except for very top and very bottom which are sore and a little scabby and red - keeping an eye on them and will see nurse if needed.

Other issue is seeing physio later today and I don’t think my ROM has improved at all in the last 1 1/2 weeks. Was at 80 degrees then and unable to straighten fully but not measured. Not sure what he’ll say but I’m a bit worried.

I’m feeling overwhelmed a bit too. I thought I would be further on by now. Feeling generally demoralised as felt I was doing well and now I’m not. Family expecting me to be doing more too and so frustrated at that too.

I’m sure this is all normal and you see it all the time but it’s my first time x
 
We all expect to progress faster than we do, especially the first time through this. Few prepare us for how long and slow this recovery is. Some of us were told, but didn’t really grasp the concept.

You have done what we call joining the Overdid It Club, and it can take several days to recover from those extra activities.

Our families often expect us to be recovered within a short time as many of them truly have no idea what this surgery feels like, even though you’d think they’d be more compassionate watching us struggle with obvious pain and swelling.

Try to hang in there, you are still in the early days of this recovery. It is very common to get frustrated with slow progress. But, take heart, you will progress. Your ROM will improve as you heal and the swelling goes down.

Don’t be worried by what your PT thinks about your ROM, some of them don’t realize that there truly is no “window of opportunity.”
 
Middle of the night again!

My leg is so itchy it’s ridiculous. It has lots of tiny bumps all over it too. I’m using an ice pack to try to stop the itching and have taken an antihistamine too as to me it feels like an allergy with hives. Photo was a day or two ago and it’s much more bumpy now. I have two areas at top and bottom of wound that aren’t healing and these have iodine dressings on. Any ideas what’s going on?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    29BB3B57-9E4B-4685-BE88-0AFA9D961E4F.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 371
Did the antihistamine help with the itching? If it is just your operative leg than it sounds like an allergy. It could be from the surgical wash that they used on that leg prior to beginning surgery. Is Benadryl ( diphenhydramine) the antihistamine you used? If not you can try taking it before bed since Benadryl can make you sleepy. If no antihistamines are working ( Claritin which is loratadine is another one) call your OS or the OS on call and ask them what might help.
 
I’ve literally just taken the antihistamine so will have to wait a bit and it was certirazine.

I’m 4+ weeks from LTKR so I’m pretty certain it’s not the wash used. I wondered whether I was reacting to the iodine on the dressings they’ve had to use but it’s not worse at the wound site but is all around the knee and down the leg a bit.

Unfortunately I’m in the UK so would have to see an out of hours doctor if needed. Seeing nurse again next week but that’s 4 days away. I’m just miserable as unable to sleep due to the itching!
 
It sounds like an allergic reaction. That can happen with pain medications. If that's the case, your doctor can prescribe something that will calm the itching down. The antihistamine may help, but the prescription medications are much more effective.
 
@Jamie if it was an allergic reaction to meds wouldn’t it be all over? This is very specifically just my leg. They are querying me reacting to the sutures, in particular the knots, hence two areas of wound dehiscence at each end of the scar. Feels better this morning so I’ll just see how it goes and see out of hours GP if necessary.

Thanks for your help
 
Logic says the reaction shouldn't be localized to just your leg, but I've seen it happen that way. I've also seen the itchy bumps on just one part of the body too. I can't explain why, but I thought it was worth mentioning to you in case you cannot find another source of the allergic reaction.
 
So yesterday ended up at emergency doctors and they think the wound is infected. Very red, oozy and sore at each end of the scar. So now on antibiotics and dressing left off in case it’s been a reaction to the dressings or the iodine!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    61E85B95-9AFE-43CF-BAA6-85B4D8B4BEDB.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 352
  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    BBD8649E-D5A2-479D-A650-C1F6F9680EFE.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 362
  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    C9AB170F-08A1-41E4-AF33-9E55C5F066F9.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 347
Oh no!!!! I am so sorry this had happened to you! I will pray for a full recovery and eradication of the infection.

Any time I see itchy bumps near a wound, I get paranoid. When my son was little, he scraped his knee in a bounce house. A week or two later, he got itchy bumps all over that leg. They turned into little white heads. I took him to the doctor, and he was diagnosed with a staph infection. Antibiotics fixed it quickly thank goodness. I hope for the same quick fix for you.
 
I’m seeing the nurse again today. The little open areas look like they’re closing - certainly scabbed over. I have elephant like skin around these areas - red and thickened and very very dry. Itchy spots still everywhere! No idea what’s going on but it looks horrible and I’m 5 weeks tomorrow.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    8F32ACFB-6E74-414D-B818-AB1B1B09B881.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 335
  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    FCC96503-ADFB-4D6F-8D87-1DEE2549F283.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 333
Did the doctor take a culture to see which exact bacteria you are dealing with and which antibiotic will work best on it? Is an infectious disease doctor involved in your case?
 
Did the doctor take a culture to see which exact bacteria you are dealing with and which antibiotic will work best on it? Is an infectious disease doctor involved in your case?

I had a swab taken last Wednesday which didn’t grow anything but at its worst on Saturday they didn’t take a swab. Just being reviewed by GP and nurse again on Friday. Advised to continue to take antibiotics and antihistamine too to see if it works. Telephone consultation on Monday with Consultant.
 
Thanks for the replies.
I needed the knee replacement due to OA but also Hypermobility of my knees and hips. It means that particularly on my operated side my hip tends to want to turn outwards to be comfortable which is comfy for the knee too but when I pull it back into alignment it hurts more. I need to buy a leg raise cushion so wondered if this might be any use as it will maybe hold my knee better.
I have this same blue Amazon cushion. I hate it.
 
Just checking to see if the consultant had any more information or treatment for you. Sending healing vibes your way.
 
Seen physio today who surprised me by telling me to totally rest until the infection has got better! My bend is at 90+ degrees and straighten nearly fully. It’s not much better except it’s moisturised so looks almost more red. The itchy spots are still there too and driving me mad. Might be part of the infection.

Consultant telephone appointment is on Monday.

Seeing Nurse on Friday.

Feeling quite sorry for myself to be honest as very headachey today too .
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom