Guest viewing is limited

TKR Celebrate the little wins

Don't worry about the pain on the inside of the knee, if it was arthritis, that bit has been cut out and put in the bin. I was the same, and it went away quite quickly.
I put it down to the ligament which comes down there getting a bit angsty (it's been through a lot of abuse). It is glued to the bone by a pad (bursa) and that might be complaining a bit as well. I just rubbed some ibuprofen gel on it if it bothered me much, plus a support bandage if I needed to walk very far.
We all go through spells where we continually analyse every pain, and think something is wrong. Very rarely does it come to anything. You will have a new pain in a few days or weeks
Relax!
 
Lots more bruising has come out today. Resting all day today watching TV, napping and doing crochet plus taking regular painkillers. Feeling more positive today on day 5!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    AB01B183-DFA4-4CF1-8BFC-5F133BC8EEB4.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 409
Great choice to rest and elevate and don't forget the ice :ice:. This early post surgery minimal activities and lots of icing and elevation are key. It worked for me amazingly well all 4 times. Have a great peaceful day.
 
So what’s keeping me awake tonight - upper back pain on the left side! My knee quite a bit more comfortable particularly if I keep it still but my back - I just cannot get comfortable! I feel like I need a hot water bottle on it but can’t get one myself and husband is asleep!
Things to look forward to! New bedroom carpet arriving on Wednesday as at the moment we have just boards as were redecorating. The next day new furniture is arriving including a new king size bed - I’m paranoid about my husband knocking my leg by accident!
Husband has also got the next few days off work to get bedroom sorted and help me too!
Physio due to ring me on Wednesday and not sure what to say about the exercises as not doing them as advised on here. He’s going to ask how they’re going though!
And the most excitement will be because my new cryo knee support is coming today! Can’t wait for that!!!
Oh I got a rash on my leg today too. It is proper defined red spots on leg and behind knee but it stops in a defined line so wonder if it’s to do with the tourniquet they applied for the surgery. Who knows?
Stay well everyone! X
 
Sorry to be a pain but I’ve got more of the red dots/rash on my leg today plus what looks like a blister where they had to put a steristrip on the wound when I bled. Any advice? Do you think I should call the hospital?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    73A83F69-D7CB-4678-9222-7B1049191561.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 392
  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    D450ACED-D66D-4265-9E05-F0328EFFF660.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 397
More than likely your are having a reaction to the glue in the steristrip, but to be on the safe side I thing you should call the hospital and send them the photos.
 
Thanks. I’ve called them and they’re seeing me tomorrow morning.
 
Good. I think it's the best thing.
 
Has anyone had a knee replacement with Hypermobility? My range of movement pre surgery was incredible according to the physio and I’m wondering if in view of that I will regain a similar over range of movement or will the new knee joint stop this? Currently day 6 and really struggling to walk with 2 sticks due to pain as I move although when resting there is minimal pain. I’m trying to ease off on the painkillers as was on tramadol 100mgs four times a day with paracetamol, Nefopam three times daily and Oral morphine up to 4 times a day although most I’ve taken is 10mgs x2 at night. Not taken morphine tonight so will see how it goes.
 
I’ve seen the nurse at the clinic and wound healing well apparently for 7 days. Spoke to physio again and he seems positive about my progress and is seeing me next Friday to check progress. We think the spots were caused by the tourniquet and subsequent damage to the small capillaries. After researching it it has a name too Rumpel-Leede phenomenon!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    00E3912C-1696-4C3D-8DA7-F5D230ABD3DF.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 393
Night time sleeplessness!! When should I be able to walk without too much pain? Currently walking is very painful. I’m using two sticks and wondered when it might start to feel easier? It’s making me miserable as other movements and pain improving.
 
Unfortunately sleep issues are part of this recovery. Nap during the day if you can.

Have you eased off your pain medication too quickly. At this point you need your medication to help you increase your mobility.
 
Last edited:
I was trying to ease off the painkillers but even when on the full dose the pain when walking was intense. My knee remains very swollen as expected. I suppose I’ll have to go back up on the painkillers again but they make me pretty spaced out.
 
You might want to try just the Tramadol and paracetamol. Many of our member find this combination effective. Here's a chart with some suggestions for doses.

The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
[Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins


If you use this schedule, do check to make sure you're not taking any other drugs that contain Tylenol (Acetaminophen) You need to stay within the safe limit of no more than 4,000 mg of Tylenol in a 24 hr period. If any other medications you're taking contain Tylenol, add their amount into your daily calculations and reduce another of your doses, so you stay within those limits.
 
I was doing the second one anyway but I’ll try the other one. I’ve also been given Nefopam up to 180mgs a day plus oramorph which I’m only taking at night. It’s enough to knock out a horse never mind me lol and still in pain!
 
I hear you about Oramorph. I can't touch the stuff. Are you icing and elevating 45-60 minutes several times per day?
 
I’m struggling with the icing but the elevation I’m doing virtually all day and night except for when I need to move.
Thanks so much for your help and understanding. I feel very alone in this and I’m normally so busy so this just isn’t me.
 
Ice is a natural pain killer. Please try to get some time in while you elevate. I think you will see great results.
 
Day 10 - Today has been a good day! Went out to my husband’s aunts house to drop off a bed and stayed for coffee. Sore when I got back but iced and elevated and good now. Swelling a bit better as managed to fit into my pyjamas rather than shorts! Pain better. Only had 100mgs of tramadol and 1g of paracetamol (Tylenol) today. So I’ve treated myself to a glass of white wine - first in quite some time!
So next question - after a knee replacement will I be able to wear heels again? Flat shoes are so boring! It’s the little things ..... walking up stairs normally and wearing heels! Oh and managing to carry a bottle of wine and an empty glass while on two sticks!!! It’s an achievement I tell you! So let’s all raise a glass and celebrate the little wins! .

What’s your ‘win’ recently?

Admin - can you change the title to celebrate the little wins please x
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom