Guest viewing is limited

TKR Celebrate the little wins

@babysitter. Today, lunch with my 14 year old granddaughter and then dinner with old friends tonight. Knee is "howling" a bit but elevating and resting. Was a good day!
 
Day 16

First proper physio session later on today - it’s 0120h at the moment. I’m really not looking forward to it. I can walk with just one stick now and wondering if I should go with just one or use two. Husband driving me there and back. I will be telling the physio if I don’t want to do something because it hurts!!! Currently have pulled a muscle in my back and that hurts a lot more than anything else!!!

Right to try to sleep now. Night night
 
Good for you to be ready to stop your PT if they ask you to do something that hurts. I hope the muscle in your back feel better. I find a heating pad helps my back when it goes out
 
Day 16 and 1st face to face physio appointment

Great session. Checked my range of movement but didn’t push things at all. He said I’m doing really well!!!! I walked in just using one stick. Can’t fully straighten my leg yet but flexion is at 80 degrees! I have a very tight hamstring and he’s given me some things to help loosen it. All in all a very reassuring appointment.
 
80 degrees at a little over two weeks is great!
 
Great report. Keep up with the slow and steady. Have a peaceful day.
 
I’m glad to hear that you and your PT are working together well. Keep up the good work.
 
Day 17

Seriously!!! Sleep still eludes me. I’m exhausted so go to bed and get to sleep virtually straight away but up within 3-4 hours then struggling if I manage to go off again. It’s not pain related but just being awake! I’m not day time napping unless really exhausted but this is getting me down now! I usually work shifts so can usually sleep anytime or place. I wear a CPAP mask at night too. I could take morphine to help with the niggles and for it’s soporific properties but I’m really trying to manage on Tramadol and Paracetamol - weaning down on Tramadol as I’d really like to start driving again. I drive an automatic so operated leg is just resting. I read the previous sleep advice but I’m just frustrated now.
 
Can someone point me in the right direction to find articles. Wanted to find the one with the proposed return to work plan
 
Up on the bottom of the three blue bars you will see 'library' on the right hand side.

[Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
 
Day 19

So I've given in and am taking more meds to both control pain and help me to sleep at night. They do generally make me more sleepy but equally I'm sure the additional rest will help. I see the nurse tomorrow for a dressing check but I still have two areas which are leaking fluid. Still hoping they leave the dressing off though as I feel it needs to air! Physio suggested once dressing off to use vaseline (petroleum jelly) to help the glue to come off and scabs too. What do others do? I'm an aromatherapist and would use tea tree and lavender on wounds normally so kind of feel that would help me. What do others do to help scar healing? Also for the weird nerve feelings when can I start massaging and is this the best thing to do?

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.
 
Sleep still eludes me. I’m exhausted so go to bed and get to sleep virtually straight away but up within 3-4 hours then struggling if I manage to go off again. It’s not pain related but just being awake! I’m not day time napping unless really exhausted but this is getting me down now!
Sleep disturbance is part and parcel of this recovery, unfortunately.
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Until you're sleeping better at night, do take daytime naps. Those naps help to add up to the amount of sleep you need, and trying to avoid daytime naps doesn't seem to work with this post-op problem.
Sleep where you can, how you can, and when you can.

Can someone point me in the right direction to find articles. Wanted to find the one with the proposed return to work plan
Here it is:
Phased return to work

I see the nurse tomorrow for a dressing check but I still have two areas which are leaking fluid. Still hoping they leave the dressing off though as I feel it needs to air! Physio suggested once dressing off to use vaseline (petroleum jelly) to help the glue to come off and scabs too. What do others do?
If your incision is still leaking, it should be covered with a sterile dressing, to protect it from infection (and save your clothes from getting discharge on them.).

Don't put anything at all on your incision until it is completely healed, with no open areas or scabs. Leave those scabs alone and let them come off in their own sweet time. Putting Vaseline on them to hasten their removal is a very bad idea that could lead to introducing infection. This is a case where you just have to be patient and let Nature take its course.
 
This is what I’ve got at the moment! Been on since Saturday. So it’s not a lot - just wish it would settle down now
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    14B394C3-E166-4499-9C9F-57D3FD273069.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 268
My OS categorically has stated no lotion of any kind till the all healed. I did not have any issues with my scars following this regimen. As far as massage, massage any area lightly that is not covered at the moment. Sometimes just gently moving your fingers over an area feels good and can be relaxing.
 
^Exactly. My OS said once the bandage was off it should be left open to the air with no lotions or anything put on it. And PTs should not be giving advice about incisions.
 
And another dressing put on with iodine on it. Very nearly healed. Seeing nurse again on Friday!
 
3 weeks and 2 days post LTKR

No morphine last night and slept for 6 hours!!!! Hoping to knock the tramadol on the head today too! I’ve not actually got much pain, just at top of range of movement. Otherwise it’s just stiffness really. This is also the first day I’m home alone!!! Plans include getting a shower, washing hair, tidying up a bit, getting lunch and maybe a nap later, then seeing nurse for dressing change at 5. I don’t feel range of movement is any better than last week and worrying what physio will say at next week’s review. Last week was 80 degrees.
 
Don’t worry about your ROM, it will come as you heal. There is no “window of opportunity.”

Just so you know, my ROM continued to improve well into my second year, and third year!
 
Mmmmm so no analgesia today lasted until lunchtime! Not ready yet obviously. Too sore so tramadol again. No oramorph last night though. I think I’m actually most comfortable at night as can sleep on my side without pain.
 
And dressing off today!!!! 3 weeks and 2 days! So nice to get air to it!
The yellow is iodine not bruising. No bruising evident at all now
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    5D0FD750-B325-44A6-AB00-5E00526676A3.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 213

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom