Guest viewing is limited

TKR Celebrate the little wins

Then just do what’s comfortable. Movement is what’s important. Any movement. Just do gentle bends. Or not. Some of our members do no specific exercises, they just get back to their regular activities as they are able.

Walking is very good for this recovery (though not to excess early on) And our knee doesn’t do any major bending when we walk, which proves our knee just needs gentle movements and lots of time to sort itself out.
 
I used a rocking chair to help with flexion. Rocking is soothing in itself and I would read or watch TV while rocking. At first I had the leg way out so it was not much of a bend and slowly bring it back toward the chair so flexion increased. Did not force it but it was a relaxing way to do some knee flexion in a controlled way.
 
Just thought I’d update you all.

Consultant appointment went well! He’s happy with progress and discharged me but I can call if I have any concerns. He’s confident that I’ll continue healing and improving from this point onwards. My knee flexion is 100degrees.

I’m due back to work in two weeks which will be 12 weeks since surgery. First week 2 x 6 hours, 2nd week 3 x 6 hours, 3rd week 2 x 9hours and 1 x 6 hours, 4th week 1 x 9 hours 2 x 12.5 hours, 5th week full time 3 x 12.5 hours. These will be spaced out with a rest day between them.

I’m trying to increase my walking daily now but still have a limp, so walking gait not normal and I get lots of tightness and moderate pain if walking any sort of distance. I also get right sided back pain into my SI joint, buttock and outside of hip - left knee was replaced. My walking distance is only to the corner shop at the moment and I’m back taking analgesics to try to push myself more. Unfortunately I have to go back to work really in 2 weeks and my job is 12.5 hour shifts x 3 a week and a lot of that is on my feet. Do you think The above plan is ok and I’d appreciate any feedback on others returning to work at 12 weeks to an active job. I’m still sleeping between 10-12 hours a night too which is unusual for me - usually 5-6. My husband just commented that if I do my shifts together I’ll not get that long between shifts to sleep! I’m not sure if I’m sleeping because I’ve got lazy or just because I can, or it’s due to the surgery. Have one more physio appointment on Monday and I’ll be discussing all the above with him.

On the plus side the wound is healed nicely and the X-ray looks good too.

Think I’m definitely panicking now it’s getting closer to returning to work as really don’t quite feel ready but equally feel that At 12 weeks I should be ready.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    F0B629A1-3334-46CE-A776-CFA0FA363CDD.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 355
  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    11E457BC-1807-4F8E-9558-9D78EEE4B9A9.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 321
  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    70077406-8A0F-463A-95FF-1A5EEB89FBBD.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 323
It’s good that you have a phased in return to work planned. It’s hard to just jump back into your full time job. You should be ok with what you plan. I’m going have to go back in 12 weeks after my revision in January. I won’t have any time off to try to phase into my position.
 
I think your plan sounds reasonable as well. I went back to teaching face to face middle school at 12 weeks. I work from 7:30 to 3:30 or 4:00 five days a week. My school did move me temporarily to the 1st floor cafeteria, so I don’t have to hike up and down from my 3rd floor classroom multiple times a day. Even with teaching most of my classes seated in a chair, I’m still walking 7000 to 9000 steps a day. I am tired and sore when I get home. There is no time to ice during my school day, so I hit the couch with ice packs when I get home. I’m also in bed by 8:30 pm each night because I have to get up at 5:45, and I’m still not sleeping well at night. I’m tired all the time. I’m going to see my doctor this week about an Ambien prescription. Unisom, Benadryl and melatonin are not helping.

I also sometimes get soreness in my gluts, back and hips. My therapist said it’s because my leg muscles around my knees are still healing and are not as strong as they used to be yet. So my other muscles have to pitch in and help way more than they usually would, thus the soreness. Also a difference in gait or swinging your legs out from the hips when you go up or down stairs stresses different parts of your body than a normal gait or normal up/down stairs would.

I hope you continue to heal well and your re-entry to work goes well!!!
 
Had my physio appointment earlier this week. Had a little meltdown! Worrying about everything but particularly getting back to work. ROM 104/0 and healing well. Slight swelling if do too much. Walking daily now. I’m struggling with walking for any great time Or distance though. I’m 10 weeks post surgery but when I go back to work In two weeks I’ll be on my feet a lot. Graduated return organised but first week its two 6 hour shifts and not sure if that’ll be too much for me.

Physio and consultant have discharged me although physio ringing me two weeks after I start back at work in case I have problems.

I sat on the floor yesterday then tried to get back up - really hurt my knee as kind of forgot about my surgery!!!

How’s it been for people going back to jobs where you’re very active?
 
I’ve postponed my return to work by two more weeks. Just don’t feel I’m ready as can’t be on my feet for long enough yet. Went out today and trying to do more walking but currently icing my knee again as managed to jar it trying to step/climb up a big step. Getting some irritation in the scar too although it’s totally healed now. Had what felt like needles in it a couple of nights ago but mainly I’m just aware of it whereas I haven’t been for the last few weeks.
 
Hi

Yes don't put yourself though the worry, strain and stress.

Put your recovery first and foremost.

Kind thoughts
 
That’s great that you were able to postpone your return to work. I was retired when I had my surgery but if I’d had a job, there’s no way I would have been able to go back to work at 3 months!
 
@babycatcher
I went back to work as a school teacher 12 weeks after my bilateral TKR. On Monday I will be 18 weeks post op. Luckily, they moved me temporarily from my 3rd floor classroom to the 1st floor cafeteria, so I don’t have to hike up and down the stairs multiple times a day. I still have to do the stairs sometimes though, and a couple of weeks ago I was able to go DOWN normally! I practiced every chance I got. I try to sit most of the day because standing hurts. The sitting causes my right leg to stay bent too much, so I have to stretch multiple times a day to straighten it out. Even with the sitting, I’m getting 8000 steps a day. I’m sore when I get home, so I spend the evening icing and elevating. I’ve been pretty exhausted because my sleep is still not right, but this last week my sleep has been a little more restful. I’m doing a bit better than I expected back at work. I was super nervous about going back, so I understand how you are feeling.
 
I was very worried about going back to work too. At 12 weeks I was such a wreck, I couldn’t fathom how I would manage. But when I did go back at 14 weeks, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I think that working actually took my mind off my knee! It was enough of a distraction that I wasn’t fretting over every little ache and pain, and worrying as much about my recovery. But physically, it was an adjustment and I came home those first two weeks exhausted. But I think that might’ve been a good thing because I found that I slept much better at night. Hopefully you will be like me and find that it isn’t as bad as you fear. Best wishes!
 
Babycatcher,

I love your screen name! My work email is Ribkracker as I worked mostly in ER ( now in a clinic)and the name was given to me one busy Cardiac night.
Are you back at work? If so, how is it going? I am really nervous to return on 12/1/2020 and I am still having considerable pain in my knee, calf, ankle and foot. My new PT is very good no pushing and last appt she felt my leg didn’t look straight! Geez, didn’t need that comment... not sure what to do with that info!
 
That’s great that you were able to postpone your return to work. I was retired when I had my surgery but if I’d had a job, there’s no way I would have been able to go back to work at 3 months!

This week I’ve started to feel my knee is getting stronger so really pleased I managed to get another 2 weeks off. I’ve still got a limp though which I hoped might have gone by now!
 
I was very worried about going back to work too. At 12 weeks I was such a wreck, I couldn’t fathom how I would manage. But when I did go back at 14 weeks, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I think that working actually took my mind off my knee

My physio thinks that it might help too. He said when the emergency buzzer goes you’ll just go on autopilot and jump up! Who knows? I know before surgery I used to come home exhausted, in pain and unable to get up my stairs so hopefully it’ll be better!
 
Babycatcher,

I love your screen name! My work email is Ribkracker as I worked mostly in ER ( now in a clinic)and the name was given to me one busy Cardiac night.
Are you back at work? If so, how is it going? I am really nervous to return on 12/1/2020 and I am still having considerable pain in my knee, calf, ankle and foot.

If she/he was alive cracking ribs is acceptable!!!

I’m back 17th November! My knee pain is really at top of range of movement so manageable but it’s the aching, stiffness and tightness when on my feet that I think will be the problem! It’ll be another 4 weeks on before I’m back on a full 3 twelve hour shifts a week and initially I’ll be trying not to do them together. I think We both have to Get back and see how we are. Open mind! I know my colleagues will be supportive and I’m looking forward to getting back to see them all!
 
So I’ve been back on a graduated return now for two weeks. Two 6 hour shifts week one and 3 week two. I’m really struggling though. My knee is sore stiff and swollen and pain significant enough that I’m struggling getting upstairs again. I’m needing to totally rest on my days off to cope. It’s really difficult knowing whether this is too much or not. I’m literally on my feet virtually the whole 6 hours either walking or standing with only short sitting down periods. Even stuff like when I do sit down the chairs are too low.

I’ve got very tight muscles at the back of my thigh - hamstrings- which I think are affecting my ability to bend more too. Physio has given me exercises to continue with to stretch them out. He’s just checking in via telephone now as I’m back at work.

I suppose I just need reassurance that I just need to keep going. This week I’m on 9 hour shifts before being back on three 12 hours the week after.
 
@babycatcher Unfortunately work is going to take all your energy at this stage. You are right to use the time at home to rest and recover.

Can you ask for another week or 2 of shorter shifts? Obviously things are not going to get easier if you are adding hours. Tough times!
 
Unfortunately apparently I’m only allowed 4 weeks graduated return and if I need more time I have to take annual leave for the hours I’m not doing! I’m checking on this though as I cannot see it in the HR policy. If not I have to go off sick again which seems ridiculous to me!
 
Try and get hold of the official policy. Management may just be winging it in their favour. I know in my case HR was spouting all kinds of limits regarding my return to work. All of it was not part of the official policy. I did have to challenge both my manager and HR. But in the end they had to follow the organisation's policy.
 
You might try having your doctor write a note saying that you need part-time for so many more weeks. I don't see how the company could go against what your doctor says.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom