Guest viewing is limited

TKR Celebrate the little wins

after a knee replacement will I be able to wear heels again?
Yes, but you might want to wait until your knee is feeling totally healed. And do this in stages. A bit of heel gradually working up to the height you want to wear. You will need to be totally confident on your feet with no balance problems.
 
So been awake for 5 hours now. Read all through a number of threads of people’s recovery. I plan to go back to work at 4 months with a graduated return but I’m quite worried now about how many people have lots of trouble, can’t stand for more than an hour and have continuing problems well past this time. I’m a sister on a very busy labour ward and work three 12 1/2 hour shifts a week usually where sitting down is minimal - and in the past when I’ve worn a pedometer I can walk about 6 miles during the shift. I absolutely know this is far too early to be thinking about it but it’s now in my head! I assume that the people who often end up here are those with problems so it’s not a representative sample really but anyone know any stats for this? I had a total knee replacement including patella and I’m 53 if that’s relevant! My boss isn’t exactly sympathetic although by the time I’m due to return she’ll have retired so I’m not sure who will be involved after that! Thanks
 
@babycatcher Hopefully you will have a new sympathetic boss by the time you return to work at 4 months, as I think you will be pushing your knee, working the hours that you used to do, in that scenario all you will do is end up with a very irritated and swollen knee which will then set you back on your recovery.
Everyone one is different in their recovery, some heal faster than others, not everyone on BoneSmart have problems, I followed the BoneSmart suggestions and at present 11 months post surgery my knee is great, I'm able to do most things and certainly have got my quality of life back, but then again I did not push my knee at all, I chose a soft approach and gave my knee the necessary time to heal.
If you look after it now, it will reward you later xxx
 
@Sarah61 thanks for your reply. I kind of have realised how naive I was to think I’d be ok to do what I was doing after 4 months - after all it’s what got me needing the TKR in the first place. I’m doing very well (in my opinion) so far but I’m not patient at all! I’m doing a day in bed today after a very sleepless night and my first trip out yesterday. I’m buying some more pillows to help support me and my leg in bed and out too. I’ll be elevating and icing today. I have just heard my 6week post op consultant appointment is via telephone! I think I might prefer this though as at least he can’t do anything to my knee like others have said have happened to them. When he examined me pre-surgery He commented that my knee was full of fluid! See photo below after one of my shifts! Do you think this will impact on my post op swelling?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    AC4C4101-4F75-4201-9864-9DE2BACBF3DB.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 290
! It’s an achievement I tell you! So let’s all raise a glass and celebrate the little wins! .

What’s your ‘win’ recently?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glad to hear you sound cheery @babycatcher !!
Several years ago an accident left me with balance problems, so I was forced to switch to flats permanently. Turning that into my “style”, I proudly wear running shoes everywhere: weddings, parties, you name it- everywhere! I have an awesome collection! Lol
I drink beer out of the bottle which is easier to carry!
My win is a flex of 132*. Doc calls it a complete success.
Cheers!
 
Last edited:
I drink beer out of the bottle which is easier to carry!
My win is a flex of 132*. Doc calls it a complete success.
Yep I maybe need to develop beer drinking skills.

I'm not quite sure what all the degrees mean yet. Maybe my physio will measure on Friday but can't get my knee to a 90 degree angle yet (I know that one) but can more or less get it straight. I've been doing what this forum has said to do which is RICE lots and today my knee feels much much less swollen - told my husband I felt I could feel bone again then remembered it's all metal! Going to try doing the gentle exercises the physio has asked me to try tomorrow. See how I get on.
 
Maybe my physio will measure on Friday but can't get my knee to a 90 degree angle yet (I know that one) but can more or less get it straight.
That sounds pretty good for not quite 2 weeks post-op. Most surgeons don't require 90 degrees until about 6 weeks. It's really too early to be thinking about Range of Motion (ROM).
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

I’m quite worried now about how many people have lots of trouble, can’t stand for more than an hour and have continuing problems well past this time. I’m a sister on a very busy labour ward and work three 12 1/2 hour shifts a week usually where sitting down is minimal - and in the past when I’ve worn a pedometer I can walk about 6 miles during the shift. I absolutely know this is far too early to be thinking about it but it’s now in my head! I assume that the people who often end up here are those with problems so it’s not a representative sample really but anyone know any stats for this?
We don't have any stats, but many, many knee replacements are done world-wide every year, BoneSmart is an international site and only a small percentage of those recipients end up here . Most people have their surgeries, complete an uncomplicated recovery, and go back to their normal lives. It's often just the people with a problem who look for help and find BoneSmart.

I'm not quite sure what all the degrees mean yet.

Here's a graphic to explain the degrees involved

knee ROM small.jpg
 
@Celle thanks for that. With my hypermobile knees I was in the -10 at least category before. But it’s a long time since I’ve been able to get to a 155 degrees. I presume with a replaced knee and patella that any sideways wobbles will be impossible now. My knees have always had a lot of lateral movement. My surgeon did say that the Hypermobility can complicate the knee replacement and mentioned trying to tighten things up a bit. Do you have any insight into new knees with Hypermobility?
 
Day 12 post LTKR
Today is a good win day! Made myself a sandwich and carried it into the sitting room. I also stood and sorted out the clean laundry. I managed to sleep a bit more too without Morphine and spoke to my general practitioner and she’s leaving me another prescription for the pain meds I need for the next recovery phase! I cannot believe that the Americans on here are having to limit their medications or are not able to get them at all. That seems just plain cruel! @Mrs. Ciz I was reading yours in particular!
My question of the day - what should I be wearing on my feet around the house? Currently just bare feet as that’s what I’d normally use!
Ohhh just realised I crossed my legs while writing this - that’s probably not a good thing to do is it lol!
 
I am surprised your knee allowed you to cross your legs. Wow. It was months before I could do that.
 
@babycatcher I am so glad you have plenty of access to pain meds. I guess you could tell be my postings that the tightly controlled access to pain meds in the USA made me very nervous and caused me to have to ration my pain meds at 2 weeks post op. I was not happy at all. But in the end, my doctor did refill my prescriptions, and I’ve had enough to get me through (if I took them sparingly) until I was comfortable going without. I’m 7 weeks post op today, and I’ve been able to go to bed at night without pain meds the past 3 nights. For the most part I stopped taking pain meds during the day 2 weeks or so ago. And I still have a little bit of my meds left in case I have a bad day. So it did get easier. Those first few weeks were rough though.

Happy healing!
 
Long shifts on your feet at 4 months are likely to be challenging. But if you can take the full 4 months and then return on a gradual basis that should help.
It does sound like you're starting out well.
As for what to wear on your feet, whatever is non-slip and comfortable. Your knee may be more comfortable with shoes but experiment and see what works for you.
 
Thanks @kneeper . I suppose the gradual return bit is the goal that needs to be carefully thought out. The last time I had surgery (gynae) I was supposed to be a graduated return - 1st week 3 x 6 hour shifts, 2nd week back to 3 x 12 hour shifts!!! My surgeon was horrified!!!
Thought you might like to see what’s been helping keep me elevated and icing - my crochet blanket now nearly finished! I’ve just been asked to make a baby blanket for one of my midwife colleagues too plus my daughter has just realised you can crochet with chenille/velvet yarn so now wants a big blanket for her bed too! I only learnt in January so a novice but it helps with anxiety and now recovery. Maybe we need a thread for what we’ve been productive with during recovery. Was it @Celle who said genealogy - I’ve had that as a long standing hobby for some time now and love it!
Off to try to go back to sleep now - it’s 0145h here! Night everyone x
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    1041D964-EFC6-4418-9452-7F7C94C39FA9.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 253
It wasn't me, but I have done genealogy.
 
Very nice afghan. Velvet yarn sounds interesting. I never learned to crochet because my mother did and I have a collection of afghans from her that are underused already though it is nice to have them as they bring warm memories of her now that she is long gone. I am sure your family will appreciate the afghans for years.
 
Today’s win! Day 14 post LTKR.

I painted my toenails!!! I know, I know but I bent my knee enough to reach. Had to remove nail polish for surgery so wanted to put it back on! Booked in on Saturday for a manicure and gel polish! I can’t wear it at work so whenever I’m off I try to find time to treat myself!
Wound check today too and two tiny areas still need to close so dressing back on!!! recheck in 6 days. Nurse reckons I’m doing really well actually walking when most people are struggling a lot. Wound photo attached - looks much better in real life!

Visited in laws for coffee and walked further than I have yet outside.

Glass of wine tonight and crocheting a baby blanket which someone has agreed to actually pay for!!!

oh and biggest win 6 hours sleep last night!!!!

Feeling great today although a little sore so currently icing and elevating.

Hope you’re all good tonight. What’s been good today for you x
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrate the little wins
    0ABEF129-CE45-48EE-8E8F-AE11DB769030.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 250
Knee looks good at 2 weeks. Sounds like a very exciting day for you with much activity. Have a peaceful evening crocheting and sipping your wine. :flwrysmile:
 
Congrats on the long sleep! :sleeep:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom