TKR Celebrate the little wins

@babycatcher - you could be allergic to Iodine. I am highly allergic to it, and if I wouldn’t have donated blood several times in the past, where they used iodine to clean my arm, I would likely be miserable now. They were planning to use iodine during my 2nd knee replacement surgery, till they noticed that my chart said I was allergic to iodine. They asked me how allergic I was to iodine, and I was very firm - DO NOT use iodine on me. I will be miserable for months. Raised bumps/rash and oh so itchy. While donating blood, Iodine was used in the crook of my elbow, a very small amount, but I broke out on my chest, neck and face. I was on back to back doses of prednisone & as soon as I wasn’t on prednisone, the itchiness would return. I finally started using some natural supplements to raise my immune system. After the 2nd breakout, I realized it was the iodine.

Feeling quite sorry for myself to be honest as very headachey today too .
Of course you are. :tantrum2: I think all of us would. Itchiness alone is awful and then to deal with the infection is scary. I had a skin reaction after my first hip and I was miserable and not very pleasant to be around:hissy:. The only blessing was that the benadryl made me sleepy so I could not be too cranky asleep.

I hope you get some answers soon. I would not worry about your flexion but rest, ice and elevate. Ice some of the itchy areas too. The rest of the flexion will happen anyways even without PT. Can you check with your medical provider if you can put hydrocortisone cream on the bumps not close to the suture? It might help a little more.

Sending healing vibes :console2::flwrysmile:

I’m sending some virtual {{Hugs}} your way. With your doctors on this, you will get better in time.

Feeling quite sorry for myself to be honest as very headachey today too .
This recovery is tough enough without the additional complications you’ve had. :console2:

Can you check with your medical provider if you can put hydrocortisone cream on the bumps not close to the suture? It might help a little more.
[/QUOTE]

We did discuss it but the doctor decided not to at the moment.

Ice is the only thing that’s helping at the moment as it stops the itch temporarily plus my knee is wrapped up so I can’t touch it!

Week 5 and 1 day

Still itchy!!!! Wound I think looking better today although there are still 2 unhealed areas. Seeing nurse again tomorrow for review. I need this sorting ASAP. I’ve also had a headache for 2 days solid. I’m feeling sad today after doing so well.

Middle of the night musings!

Could my itchy whole leg rash be a reaction/allergy to my new knee?

Could my itchy whole leg rash be a reaction/allergy to my new knee?
Probably not as this is topical. A reaction to the implant would present symptoms like pain, fever, redness and heat in the incision area.

Please let us know how your appointment goes.

So a waste of time appointment

They keep saying ‘we can’t mess around with knee replacements’ then do nothing!

So still have rash which has spread and is now the whole leg and incredibly itchy!!! Wound at top and bottom still not healed but do look smaller. Redness and heat around wound still present.

So the doctor has no idea what the rash is but wants me to continue taking antihistamines. Nearly finished course of antibiotics- So she said wait a couple of days after I finish course and then if gets worse she’s left me
Another Prescription.

All a bit unsatisfactory really!

Attachments

• 1E1D3A65-189F-4845-9971-16EAC1BFA48D.jpeg
    1E1D3A65-189F-4845-9971-16EAC1BFA48D.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 306
Sorry to hear your appointment didn’t help bring any relief. I will pray that the wounds close up and the itchiness finally stops. :console2:

Can someone look at these two photos and reassure me that it looks better today than previously! I feel the redness is more diffused but overall better. I’m looking at it all the time so can’t see it rationally any more. Stopped antibiotics but have another prescription waiting if it starts to look bad again!

In other news - ROM good, walking unaided, and can go upstairs in an ordinary manner.

And so next week will be week 6 so how can I increase my ability to stand for longer and help not to be in pain after some walking? Is it just a case of walking longer and longer to increase stamina etc?

Sorry I’m all of a dither at the moment which isn’t like me but I know my boss will be on the phone next week as my sick note runs out and I’m hoping my GP will give me another sick note for 6 weeks.

Attachments

• C083210A-B8CD-4C63-8D72-D5695C1482FA.jpeg
    C083210A-B8CD-4C63-8D72-D5695C1482FA.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 266
I would agree with you that it is looking better. You can increase activities but it has to be very slowly as it is still so early in recovery. If you increase do in small increments and ice/elevate afterward and see how your knee responds. Recovery is not a sprint but a marathon and you are still in the healing stage.

I would say definitely too early to return to work as you need to give your body time to heal and recover more so you can build up some stamina. The energy drain is real. I returned to work early part time and it was in a position where I was mainly sitting with leg elevated and ice on it and I was wiped out at the end of my shift. I came home and literally collapsed with ice. Give yourself time and it will work out so much better for you.

Totally agree on the work thing. My surgeon said not to go back before 12 weeks as I’m on my feet for a full 22 hour shift and can walk at least 6 miles! I do three of them a week! Obviously there is the inevitable pressure though and I know they’ll say what about if you came and did some admin stuff maybe sitting down or whatever. I have to just say no!

@babycatcher I agree that your knee looks better today vs Sept 12th. The actual incision looks less angry & the two spots definitely look smaller & more healed.
Continue to rest & take it easy. Go slowly as you increase walking & standing. IMHO, Aside from your frustrating set backs w/the infection & itching, I think your doing fantastic for 6 wks out....good ROM, up steps foot over foot, walking unaided!

Stick to no on returning early. It is temptation when they offer administrative work but even that is exhausting and your brain is tired from recovery also. Additionally, it seems once you are seen at work no one remembers that you are recovering and expectations are that you are back to normal.

@babycatcher
You’ve been on my mind. How is your infection doing this week? I hope it is healing and you are getting relief from the itching.

@Mrs. Ciz thanks for thinking of me. The infection looks like it’s cleared up but the rash and itching persist! I’m seeing surgeon on Tuesday as he wants to have a look himself. The two raw areas are almost healed now too.

Yesterday I called into work to see my colleagues. Was great to see them and most said scar looked great and so did I which is a real boost. I’ve put in another 6 weeks sick note and then I’ll hopefully take a 4 week graduated return.

Today I can tell I walked too far yesterday so an easy day and up the painkillers. I think the boost seeing people though was well worth the pain today!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts