MUA CATSMUM's new road to recovery

@Majic Sorry to hear about your Shingles diagnosis. Hope you feel better very soon, such a nasty complaint to have. I was bitten by what l can only call the mother of all Mosquitos in Portugal - a week on and l still have a massive lump on my leg! Will post another update after my Physio session tomorrow.
 
Just got back from my last session of PT/Acupuncture before l see the OS on 7 June. All of us (physios and me) are quite frustrated at how my knee is - Kiki (Trainer) says that she can see that it's not straightening out properly when l walk and go up and downstairs. It's also giving way now which is affecting my left knee - both Rachel (Physio)and Kiki believe it's happening due to ligaments/tendons being frozen. The gut feeling from both of them is that l will need a MUA to get them working properly again. I've not been discharged from Physio yet just in case l need some more acupuncture to help settle the pain - which it's helped, just a pity it's not helped the stiffness etc. The bend today was 70 degrees before and 80 degrees after acupuncture! Feeling a little disappointed with how things have turned out - can't believe that it's almost a year since l had my tkr and how it appears to have really regressed!!
 
I'd go for a second opinion. Something doesn't sound right. I'm so sorry you are going through this.
 
May need to think about that choice, not sure how we go about doing that in the UK though!
 
I agree that a second opinion would be a good idea. For that, you'll need a surgeon who is skilled at doing revisions, not because you will need a revision, but because these surgeons see knees with problems every working day and may spot something that has eluded your original surgeon.
I'll ask @Josephine to advise you about how to go about this in the UK.
 
due to ligaments/tendons being frozen. The gut feeling from both of them is that l will need a MUA to get them working properly again.
MY gut feeling is that these girls are making it up as they go along!

You can get a second opinion by seeking out a surgeon of your choice (I can help you with that) and then talking with your GP and getting him to refer you to this person.

However, before you go down that route, let's try something else: I'd like to ask you some questions if you don't mind, and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications are you using, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. are you icing your knee and if so, how often and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. how swollen is your leg?
[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery


7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. what kind of physio exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home: (enter number) of sessions each day
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.

At physio
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.
 
@Josephine In reply to your questions:

1. pain I'd say the pain level is about 3. When l walk the pain increases to a 4 -5, going up and downstairs it's about a 5, sometimes a 6

2. pain medications I take paracetamol 1000mg upto 4 times a day when necessary. If the knee is really playing up, I'll take 2 500/8mg co-codamol tablets.

3. Icing rarely now, but when l do, it's for about 40 minutes.

4. Elevate my leg at all times when sitting at home. Unable to elevate when working unfortunately

5. ROM is about 75 degrees bend and flexion is about 2

6. Knee is only slightly swollen - picture 3

7. I cook, shop, undertake some housework (have a hubby that does most of it), l also work full time, drive

8. At home - About 2 sessions of 3 minutes in the bike per day - nothing else at the moment
At physio - All exercises stopped - acupuncture was the only treatment. Initially I was doing:
Static bike - 8 minutes
Cross Trainer - 4minutes
Treadmill - 8 minutes

I had a bad fall at 8 weeks post op and then slipped and twisted my knee a week later so not sure if they have contributed to my current problems. (It was xrayed at that time and the implant was fine).
 
I'd say the pain level is about 3. When l walk the pain increases to a 4 -5, going up and downstairs it's about a 5, sometimes a 6
Gosh, that's a lot of pain!
I take paracetamol 1000mg up to 4 times a day when necessary. If the knee is really playing up, I'll take 2 500/8mg co-codamol tablets.
Okay
Icing rarely now, but when l do, it's for about 40 minutes.
Okay
Elevate my leg at all times when sitting at home. Unable to elevate when working unfortunately
Okay.
ROM is about 75 degrees bend and flexion is about 2
Hmmm .... that's not very good
Knee is only slightly swollen
Okay
I cook, shop, undertake some housework (have a hubby that does most of it), l also work full time, drive
What kind of work do you do?
At home - About 2 sessions of 3 minutes in the bike per day - nothing else at the moment

At physio - All exercises stopped - acupuncture was the only treatment.
Initially I was doing:
Static bike - 8 minutes
Cross Trainer - 4minutes
Treadmill - 8 minutes
To be honest, I'm not particularly convinced of the efficacy of acupuncture. I know a few people who swear by it but I also know a number who have tried it and found no benefit - me included!
I had a bad fall at 8 weeks post op and then slipped and twisted my knee a week later so not sure if they have contributed to my current problems.
I understand.

I'm not seeing anything waving read flags here except the cross trainer. But I do need to ask you more questions!

1. Are you freely able to walk upstairs sequentially or do you force yourself to do so?
2. What kind of work do you do?
3. When did you start back to work?
4. When did you stop physio?
5. Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery


[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery
 
@Josephine

In answer to your questions:

1. I find it very difficult walking up and downstairs sequentially and force myself to do it. Walking downstairs is harder and the knee is very tight when bending.
2. I'm a Civil Servant. I have almost a 2 hour journey to work and back using public transport. I try and get up and 'stretch' my legs every hour or so, even if it's just getting a cuppa.
3. Started normal working Dec 2015 (l was on a Return to Work plan from Sept - Nov)
4. Stopped Physio 4 weeks ago apart from acupuncture which didn't really help.
5. Site of pain/stiffness/tightness is RF1C-F (top of knee to below knee) and RF2D (Middle of knee). Sometimes get pain RB1D when walking upstairs.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Civil Servant. I have almost a 2 hour journey to work and back using public transport. I try and get up and 'stretch' my legs every hour or so, even if it's just getting a cuppa. Started normal working Dec 2015 (l was on a Return to Work plan from Sept - Nov)
Gosh, that journey must be punishing!
Stopped Physio 4 weeks ago apart from acupuncture which didn't really help.
Jolly Good! And just between you and me
[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery
acupuncture really doesn't work except as a placebo!
I find it very difficult walking up and downstairs sequentially and force myself to do it.
Then whatever you do, don't force it. It's a sure way to get pain.

And so - you pains are here?
[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery


That looks to me like a chronic case of Shin splints. You can test this out by making a fist and running the knuckles of your fingers further down the leg as far as the ankle. I'll bet it is also tender. You could also test out the inner side of the calf too.

Have you ever though of going to a chiropractor? I've had this condition and my chiro has treated it very effectively.
 
@Josephine - yep the pain is mainly on the outside of the knee, hadn't thought of a chiro, we have one where l live so I'll see what l can do. Thankyou for your advice.
 
Will be seeing the OS tomorrow so should have a much better idea of what the next plan of action will be. Knee still tight and stiff. Just want my life back! Can't believe that a whole year has flown by since l had my right knee replaced.
 
Just returned from my OS appointment. A year out and the implant is looking good. The ROM is another matter, extension is great but flexion is not good - about 80/85 when the OS pushed it back with a little force! I will be having a manipulation to see if it will improve the bend. Will be having the procedure on Thursday 30th June.
 
I pray it's successful and that your recovery will be quick with little pain!
 
[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery
First time I've seen my implant since August last year. Looking good. OS also says my muscles are very strong.
 
Please can a staff member change my TAG to MUA and my thread title to 'CATSMUM's new road to recovery'

Many thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom