MUA CATSMUM's new road to recovery

Had an acupuncture session this morning. Initially my knee felt a little looser buts it's started to stiffen up again. Physio told me to keep going with the exercises but not to overdo it. She suggests having a couple more sessions and if there's not much improvement after those, then l will need to go back to the OS as we'd have tried everything. Next session isn't until 22/4 as she's on leave, blooming cheek :heehee:
It's feeling a little tender at the moment - the needles were in for about 20 minutes and went from about 3" above the knee (on the lateral side of the knee) to my foot. Having a quiet afternoon now!
 
Sorry you have been the victim of yet another UTI, I am back on one Nitrofurantoin at night as a prevention. Hope the Acupuncture goes well.
 
How's your knee feeling now after the acupuncture last week?
 
@Raffs Reverted to the stiffness l had previously, albeit that the tenderness below the knee doesn't appear to be so bad. Not sure if that's due to the fact I've been resting or if it's down to acupuncture. She did say that the muscles on the lower part of the leg were very tight.
 
@CATSMUM my muscles are tight in the lower leg, but oddly the tightest is the leg with once fully recovered TKR!
 
Had a personal trainer session today. My core muscles are getting stronger (tummy muscles), and l'm doing well on the exercise bike and cross trainer - a few minutes on each only. The lateral side of my knee appears a little easier although it was painful in the week. Top of the knee has tightened up again. Not due for another acupuncture session for another 2 weeks so will have to see how things go. Been diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease p, which came as a bit of a shock as never had any problems, apparently they (GP) now have to check via a blood test, your kidney function when on long term Ace Inhibitors, anti-inflammatories etc. My reading was a little lower than it should but the GP is just going to monitor me and do another blood test in 3 months. Be interesting to see what that shows, as l had a UTI when l had the test done (although l didn't know it!). It dos mean that l can't take anti-inflammatories that often now - GP said one 500mg naproxen every 2-3 days is as much as he'd be happy with!
Oh well, looks like icing, paracetamol and codeine (when necessary) will have to suffice!
 
Claire, so sorry to hear your bad news re kidney disease is it likely to return to normal if you can come off all the painkillers? Meanwhile I do hope that your treatment works on your muscles and knee. I think I am beginning to improve, and hope that by next weekend I shall be better, as we are going with our dance club to St Anne's to dance at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom!:yahoo::dancy::wowspring:
 
@Majic I've seen somewhere that if you stop the tablet causing the problem then the kidneys can return to normal function, just hope it's not too late. Although l've been told by the GP that l shouldn't have any problems in my lifetime as I'm 'borderline'! Haven't taken any anti-inflammatory tablets for quite a time now so I'm hoping my next result will be improved. Good to hear that you are seeing signs of improvement- wow the Blackpool Ballroom? That's a fab place.
 
Claire, something amazing just happened. I had an email alert with your message. That is the first one since last August.:wow::good-bad:Now I shan't miss any messages. The site must have finally been repaired. Good to hear you won't have too bad a time with your kidneys. I feel reconnected with my old friends, long may it continue.
 
Too bad about the kidney issue. Taking as many anti-inflammatories as we all are at this point is certainly a risk. Ice is the best anti-inflammatory, so use that frequently, but not for too long or too often. 20 minutes at most gives the best response. Hang in there!!
 
I'm sorry to hear about your kidneys, Claire. I hope that, without the anti-inflammatories, they can recover a bit.

Because of another medical condition, I am not allowed ti take anti-inflammatories at all. I'v e recovered successfully from three knee replacements without them.

There are quite serious side effects associated with anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS) and I tend to think they are over-prescribed. Full marks to your own doctor for his caution.
It worries me that you can freely buy some NSAIDS without a prescription and that the advertising for them makes them sound like a miracle cure for all aches and pains.
 
@Celle I'm really hoping that my kidney function has improved when l have my next blood test. Good to hear that you've recovered from ops without them. I haven't taken any for quite a time now and stick to paracetamol and a low dose of codeine (rarely) if necessary. Also ice. They are so freely prescribed that l'd think a lot of people are suffering from Kidney problems without even knowing it!
 
Was in London for the weekend visiting family. Tom a trip on the Docklands Light Railway which was an experience, my hubby loved it! Knee behaved pretty well, considering all the walking we did. Playing up a little today but all in all, compared to how l was in November(!) when we last visited London, there is definite improvement - just wish it was recovering as quickly as my left one did!
 
@CATSMUM hi there I just thought I would let you know that yesterday I joined you in the UTI sufferers club!:bawl::dubious: Why are we so plagued by it? Down with all catheters. I was to have hydrotherapy this afternoon, but I doubt they will let me in the pool. I also feel grotty from getting up so much in the night, I feel like sleeping all day, not going out. Hope you are feeling better by now. I am miffed as we are dancing all weekend, hopefully. As I feel washed out I shan't be dancing much.
 
@Majic It just isn't fair that we should be plagued by these UTIs so regularly. I'm currently suffering from a virus, not surprised as so many of my work colleagues have been laid low with various bugs lately. I appear to have gotten over my uti, thank goodness. Take care and try to enjoy your weekend. x
 
I hope you will be feeling better for the weekend. I'm glad I didn't have a catheter after all even though I suffered the embarrassment of a wet bed in hospital! Have a great time in Blackpool.
 
I hope you will be feeling better for the weekend. I'm glad I didn't have a catheter after all even though I suffered the embarrassment of a wet bed in hospital! Have a great time in Blackpool.
Think the above message is for you @Majic
 
Sorry Claire didn't realise I was on your thread, it's so easy to do that isn't it?
 
Well, just been to the hospital for Physio, knee seems to be going from bad to worse as its very irritated at the moment, so no Physio/massage. Apparently I've overdone things after going to London last weekend and been told that l have to rest, ice and elevate over the next few days and do nothing else! For goodness sake, l'm 10 months post op and shouldn't be having problems surely this far out! So frustrated!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom