MUA CATSMUM's new road to recovery

Just got back from physio. Physio says I still have major swelling and internal bruising on lateral/outside of knee and until that is reabsorbed l will not be able to get much more bend than 85/90 ROM. She did say that for only 2 weeks out I'm doing very well and shouldn't be discouraged. Was adamant that l must not compare my right knee replacement with my previous left one as they will not be the same! (I knew that but you always do compare.....). She massaged the swollen area and told me to do the same at home. Have also got to rest, ice, rest, walk, rest, ice, ice, ice and more ice, lol. Seeing her again in 2 weeks and then 2 weeks after that. One good thing, I've now graduated to one stick only!
 
Oh, I like what your physio told you!
I still have major swelling and internal bruising on lateral/outside of knee and until that is reabsorbed l will not be able to get much more bend than 85/90 ROM.
That's what we tell people , too.
Was adamant that l must not compare my right knee replacement with my previous left one as they will not be the same!
Yes, that too. No two knees are the same.
Have also got to rest, ice, rest, walk, rest, ice, ice, ice and more ice, lol.
I think your physio is a secret Bonesmartie! lol
 
Had my staples out yesterday. Wound looks very neat, raised in a couple of places so nurse put some steristrips on it to try to flatten it.
Now got tender area just below knee on outside of knee - is it tissues mending? Anyone know? Do l need to be concerned?
 
Great to have a neat wound. Hope the tender patch goes.
 
@CATSMUM I'm reasonably certain that tender area is perfectly normal. The area you describe is my "dead zone." Maybe I'm lucky not to be able to feel it. Smile.
 
Thanks for that info @PolarBear60, the tenderness has started wearing off so may have just been where the staples were removed - a couple were embedded and really hurt on extraction!!
 
Staple removal was the first real discomfort I experienced with this whole process.
 
Well, I think l have just become a member of the Overdid it Club!! Not yet 3 weeks out and thought I'd have a go at walking upstairs normally, my calf muscle is now protesting at being used so rudely so soon!!! Ice and rest are called for l think. :groan:
 
My calf and hamstrings have been complaining for about two weeks now. Thankfully, the complaints are becoming milder.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
How nice that it isn't the KNEE that is complaining!

It is my gluts and quads that ache and I love it as it means I am getting stronger and don't have to baby sore soft tissues around the knee quite so much.
 
Well, I think l have just become a member of the Overdid it Club!! Not yet 3 weeks out and thought I'd have a go at walking upstairs normally, my calf muscle is now protesting at being used so rudely so soon!!! Ice and rest are called for l think.
Walking up and down stairs normally can take months. Don't try to rush it.

Usually, going up stairs is easier than coming down.
 
That's my problem, I always try to run before l can walk. Need to be more patient.
 
Went to see the GP this morning, he was very happy with my progress and even said that I'm ahead of the game at 3 weeks. Made me feel heaps better. Also refilled my codeine prescription without any problems.
 
Hi and thanks for the update. Wow your doing well. It's one step at a time. Take it slow and you can't rush it. I am bad to want it done know. But we all know that won't happen fast.

It's hard and we often get discouraged. But we all is in this together.

Love that your phyco is positive to you. Lol see my thread. My sub phyco lol got wet paints.


Sorry go off topic. Way to go. Keep it up. Xxx. We all need more positive words of encouragement!!!


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Hi @CATSMUM

Oh I've so enjoyed reading your posts in your thread. They are great and so reassuring. You're doing so well. Your rom is more than mine but we are all different.

Keep up the lovely posting it's a pleasure to read xxx

Wishing you a steady and strong recovery x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xx
 
Didn't have a particularly good night. Was so tired and went to bed about 8pm! Woke up after what l thought was hours and was very disappointed to see I'd only been asleep an hour. Woke again at 1am, thought it was quiet as the cat wasn't in, turns out my hubby hadn't opened his flap, needless to say he was not a happy lad when he came in. He's now resting on the bed next to me! Managed to get another couple of hours sleep so not feeling too tired. Knee is a little sore, calf muscle still tender but that's probably due to overdoing things again yesterday! Note to self - behave, recovery takes time!!!!
 
Knee's quite painful this morning, especially tender at the bottom of the knee. Still got that tight band at top of knee. Never been good at being patient but am a little disappointed at how long my initial recovery is taking, thought I'd be further on then l am and able to do a few more things. Guess all the soft tissues are still healing too. Oh well, just have to keep resting, taking my meds and ice - and try to be more patient :)
 
Scar has separated a little at the top - going to speak to surgery as want to be safer than sorry. Had steristrips on it for quite a few days but they didn't pull it together unfortunately.
 
Back
Top Bottom