THR Cats land on their feet

Glad to hear you don't have an infection hope it gives you peace of mind. My first hip sleeping was so hard like you say mind takes over I felt on inch everywhere. I only took one oxy and it didnt take pain away just .ade .e feel weird , so just took Tylenol. ...got better after a few weeks.
My second hip,1 week ago, I had doc prescribe valium I take it before bed and it lets me fall right asleep just relaxes me. Don't know with other meds your on if that would be okay for you. Thanks for sharing...like they say misery loves company...lol
 
@Matt9740 unlike last time, I really need the oxy, so I take it even though I don't like the way I feel on it. I like the throbbing ache of the new parts even less. It will pass, just not quite as quickly as I'd hoped based on the first hip.

It is a huge relief that there doesn't appear to be infection, and I'm taking my antibiotics to make certain nothing develops. Taking daily pictures of a problem area is so helpful and easy with cell phone cameras. It lets you see a spot that you can't normally see clearly, and you can track progress, good or bad.

Today is the first lovely cool morning we've had since early June. I'm so glad the end of summer is near.
Beloved husband is out in his garage shop doing some wood working. My leg is made very unhappy by the pressure of sitting up in a regular chair, so I'm still in my recliner with my feet up.
 
Yes spend most of my day in recliner...but managed to tale last 2 meals at dining table. Progress every day. Stay positive.
 
This morning's conversation went like this:
Me: I suppose if you have to consider whether or not you're ready to drive, then you aren't ready.
Friend: Don't even think about it. You'll just hate yourself for 3 days after.

So then I rescheduled another doctor's appointment. Nothing urgent. I'd just expected to be able to drive by now, since it is my left leg. But bending and stretching to get into a car is not going to go well. And so I wait.

The open spot on my incision is healing slow but sure. I'm on a course of antibiotics just in case.

This morning was the first day I wasn't urgently reaching for oxy when I got up, although I did really want my tylenol. I'm doing well during the day, still not doing very much. Reaching to put on my socks is still out of the question. Bending to the floor also a no.

Slow but steady, I just need to not lose my mind and set myself back.
 
I put a pillow on my car seat and that made getting into my low car possible. I also used trash bag for pivoting into the car. I was able to drive quicker with left hip. Try a short trip or excursion and see how it goes. Being mobile made me feel better. I was off my pain pills when I did this. Good luck!
 
I was nervous to drive again but I live in small neighborhood & can come out of my driveway & around the block & back in less than 5 minutes.
So one day I got up the courage to give it a try, not sure time period but probably at least 8 weeks I hadn't driven.
With my feet outside of the car I sat on front seat then swung my legs in & I was behind the wheel. Seeing it was my right hip I stepped on brake a few times to be sure I could stop the car.
I have fairly new Nissan Sentra to give you idea of car type.
Started car & around the block I went, couple of stop signs & I was able to drive with no problem. Hooray! I have some independence back!
 
I'd just expected to be able to drive by now, since it is my left leg. But bending and stretching to get into a car is not going to go well. And so I wait.
You are making the right choice. Listen to your body. It knows best! :wink:
 
I put a pillow on my car seat and that made getting into my low car possible. I also used trash bag for pivoting into the car. I was able to drive quicker with left hip. Try a short trip or excursion and see how it goes. Being mobile made me feel better. I was off my pain pills when I did this. Good luck!
It's been more than 2 years since I could 1-foot into the car. My sit-n-spin technique is very good. It's just that folding my left leg into the car is quite uncomfortable still.

@myglasshalffull I have fairly new Nissan Sentra to give you idea of car type.
I have a Hyundai Tuscon and it has been the best possible car for all my joint challenges. It is high up enough you don't have to climb down into it, and the doors swing open very wide so you can easily turn and get both feet on the ground before standing. It's also a surprisingly comfortable car for cross country drives, although I'd be happy to not do that again!

I have lipedema, a condition that causes my legs to be abnormally fat, and to retain fluid ridiculously even when not recovering from major surgery. That extra weight and fluid retention makes bending my legs into the car and under the steering wheel an extra challenge, particularly when everything is sore.

My husband says it looks like really deep bruising is starting to come up on the mid thigh.
The open spot on my incision is closing slowly but surely. Still taking my antibiotics, keeping it covered with gauze, and taking a daily picture so I can clearly see the area. Cell cameras are so darn useful!

I'm starting to try to use the cane instead of the walker. My messed up gait is making that uncomfortable. I used a cane most of yesterday. It made me sore. It feels awkward on the right side because I used it on the left for over a year. I feel unbalanced. I've been educating myself on the muscles that are likely the problem, but there isn't much to be done while I'm too sore for PT.

It feels like forever, but it's really only been 3.5 weeks, so I'm digging deep looking for more patience.

On a completely off topic, does anyone have a favorite hand pie recipe? I have a reenactment event on September 7 and I have to bring a main meat focused dish I can eat to the potluck. (in case no one else brings a dish I can eat!) Hand pies are nice and portable, and I have a method for doing all the work while seated.
 
Oooh! Recipe!
This is a gift link to a NY Times recipe for a chicken hand pie that I saved a while ago. Can be made with from scratch dough or store bought frozen puff pastry.

 
Re walking: I suggest staying with the walker most of the time.
Consider the cane like a form of post op exercise: try it only when you're feeling up to it, and for brief periods only. That may help both starting to normalize the opposite side use and help give you more clues to the imbalance.
 
@mendogal Thanks for the hand pie recipe and the reminder that slower is better for healing. I have been using the walker about half the day. Not requiring myself to use the cane has in a way made using it easier.

I agree with mendogal. Keep using the walker, it's better for your balance right now. You are a double hippie & only 3.5 weeks into 2nd recovery so take it easy on yourself.
You will get there.
Why is it so hard to remember that, even though the incision is healed and nothing particularly hurts, the May hip isn't really completely healed? I'm only at 12 weeks for that side. I need to repost this chart for myself on a regular basis.

[Bonesmart.org] Cats land on their feet




Think about what you may need at the reenactment for comfort. More supportive chair, cushion, etc. Good luck with your hand pies!
Fortunately what I need for this phase of healing (in 2 more weeks) isn't dissimilar from what I needed before surgery. I have an excellent folding chair with a wide seat, sturdy arms, and a medical grade cushion. As part of my recovery tools it is currently set up in my dining room. And all my local friends are used to me being disabled, so there are no mobility expectations.
I have a fantastic never fail crust recipe. Even if it gets over worked and doesn't deliver on the flake that it can do, it still makes a very nice short crust.

I have read about my gait problem and I think I understand what is happening. A serious out of condition muscle, no surprises there. There is one exercise I've started doing that doesn't hurt at all. I think it may be helping.
 
@luvcats I think staying with the walker as your main assistive device is a good call. Especially if you're out in public, it gives you a but more of a safety net. I used mine for almost three months as my gait was just terrible.

Are you practicing heel to toe walking? Strike with your heel and roll up through your toes. It can really take some concentration to do it correctly but have found it to be wonderful with helping your gait. I'm even reminding myself now while recovering from my meniscus surgery.

Also, when it comes time to drive you need to make sure you're not still on pain meds. Taking something at bedtime and getting a good nights sleep to get it out of your system is one thing but taking them during the day and driving is definitely not advised. I'm sure you're already aware of this but its worth reminding folks, especially if there are new folks following your thread.
 
@luvcats I think staying with the walker as your main assistive device is a good call. Especially if you're out in public, it gives you a but more of a safety net. I used mine for almost three months as my gait was just terrible.

Are you practicing heel to toe walking? Strike with your heel and roll up through your toes. It can really take some concentration to do it correctly but have found it to be wonderful with helping your gait. I'm even reminding myself now while recovering from my meniscus surgery.

Also, when it comes time to drive you need to make sure you're not still on pain meds. Taking something at bedtime and getting a good nights sleep to get it out of your system is one thing but taking them during the day and driving is definitely not advised. I'm sure you're already aware of this but its worth reminding folks, especially if there are new folks following your thread.
I don't like to use the walker when I am out, but I'm not out much. When I go to the grocery store, which doubles as therapy, I lean on the cart. Wrastling the walker in and out of the car feels intimidating for probably no good reason, but there we are. lol

My heel-toe walk is ok. I have a hip-drop problem. One of the exercises I had from pre-surgery PT seems very relevant and doesn't hurt, so I've started doing that just once a day to see how it goes.

I am definitely not on serious pain meds when driving. A good reminder!

Yesterday was my first trip out driving. Getting in and out of the car was hard because of my personal leg configuration, but it was lovely to be out on a very nice morning. My one 'girly' self indulgence is to have someone else shampoo my very long hair, and that was my first stop. It definitely helps me feel like I'm on the mend. I also did a quick trip for a few groceries. Then I came home and had a nap! Overall successful and I'm not much more sore today, so that's all good.

I sent my surgeon an updated picture of the open spot on my incision. He says it looks good and is healing normally. So that's good. I notice that this entire incision seems rope-ier and stands out a lot more than the first one.

That whole area of my leg continues to be tender to the touch in a way Righty never was.

Tomorrow I'm going to see how my hip feels about my sewing chair. I'm itching to do something other than knit.
 
Well this is excitement I didn't need.
Last night my incision opened a small hole and started seeping. Concerning, but consistent with a seroma, so we encouraged what drainage we could, and covered it with sterile gauze for the night. It was dry when I got up, but I guess moving opened it up. My dress is soaked on that side, my socks are wet, there is a puddle on the floor, and the couch is wet. It has definitely exceeded a cup of volume.
I'm sitting with my second bath towel absorbing fluid and sent a text with pictures to my surgeon. I cancelled my scheduled early doctor appointment in favor of the one I expect to be issued from the surgeon as soon as business hours hit.
It slowed a bit long enough for me to mop up the puddles, clean up the couch, get a trash bag to protect it from further issues, and settle back in my chair where my water and laptop are.
Now I'll just sit here and fret until business hours.
Intellectually I feel pretty confident I understand the situation.
Emotionally I am not interested in what my brain has to say!!
 
I'm so sorry, @luvcats. I'm sure it's worrying to have this happen now, but be sure to call your doctor's office as soon as they open so you can get it addressed.

Please let us know!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom