Can't make a decision for total hip replacement

Yes felt really really old but worse of all I was loosing my personality due to the pain. My husband kept saying he could not wait to get the real me back. It is a wonderful thing to get rid of the pain and also rediscover things that you enjoyed and get your mind back to functioning (pain really can change you without you totally seeing it).

Thanks for your message Paddler. I think when the surgeon was saying is the pain interfering with your life then currently it isn't and I started feeling like a fraud. However I know it has and I know how painful it can be and clearly from my x rays I have a problem and are past having resurfacing instead.

The course is a big concern, I deferred for a year on medical grounds already and I'm possibly in denial of how much this could potentially happen in the middle of it.

I hate how the decision is taking over my life.
I can sympathize with you in many ways. I am 42 and have had 'hip problems' since age 13, when I had to have both hips pinned due to SCFE. Technically, I have had osteoarthritis for over 20 years, but of course it started out mild and has slowly progressed to a more severe form. My right hip is pretty worn out, as well as being quite misshapen.

A few years ago I was hopeful that I could get my hip resurfaced instead of replaced, because I am a very active guy and would like to continue to be highly active post-surgery, and the major selling point of hip resurfacing is that it more closely functions like a normal hip joint (which should allow for less physical restrictions and, by extension, a more active lifestyle). But my hopes were dashed after consulting with several very experienced hip surgeons who all said that because of the deformity of my right femoral head, I would not be a good candidate for hip resurfacing.

But, after much research, I have learned that many of the total hip replacement implants on the market today are generally viewed as being just as good as any resurfacing. So, I have hope that my athletic life will continue post-surgery. The larger heads being used in THR as well as various stems and bearings should be just as good (or almost as good) as a resurfacing. So I have hope!

Morning all..3 weeks to go and here come the nerves and the feelings of 'do I really need this!'
Intermittent pain, never that bad though, making the decision harder.

Thought I had this all sorted in my mind!

do I really need this
Yes! Believe me it can get a whole lot worse the longer you wait. Keep your eye on the prize! After April 13th you won't have to worry about that hip anymore.

Thanks @Jaycey just having a pre op wobble..made worse that my husbands just left me but that's not probably one for a discussion on here...don't want it to turn in to a counselling session, kind of good to share though.

Aw @Minnie15 , so sorry you have to add relationship problems to your list! You can discuss anything you want to discuss on your thread.

Please know we are here for you. You are never alone in this! Take care of yourself. Sounds like your THR will indeed be a new beginning!

@Minnie15 - just think, in 3 weeks you'll be at the point where all that awful pain is going to be dealt with and in time you can dump taking all those meds. Mobile, comfortable - so much to look forward to. If you delay it will get worse, I promise. Look ahead, there's a lot of living to be done! :friends:

I am so sorry for the personal issue aside from your hip health. Just think you will have a strong hip to do anything you need without pain and limitations. It is hard to have two such big emotional issues going on at the same time. Your hip you have control over to make better in 3 wks. I believe we had someone else on here going through a divorce and her hip replacement and then moving to a new house. It is doable and you will find a lot of support here for your hip and for your emotional needs and fears with the surgery and other things.

Thank you @Miss Muffet yes I'm keeping the plan going I need to do this for myself and not look back. I have to get myself well and strong both physically and mentally now as I've lost weight and feel weak due to the last few weeks events.

@leejaa your message was so kind it made me cry. The care of people that write and take the time to reply is just incredible. Thank you.
When you're feeling rock bottom and as mentioned in an earlier post, feeling 'old' at having to have a hip replacement at 49, your husband is then found to be having an affair ..it's a double blow. Feels like I'm in some kind of weird dream...
But finding out now with and not after the op is possibly a blessing and I have three weeks to prepare and get stronger and focus on the new me. Thanks again for your kind words.

@Minnie15 for some reason life's big events tend to happen at the same time, so totally out of our control. Try to stay focused on that shiny new hip and lean on your good friends and family for support.

New hips = new life !

Last edited:
Thank you so much @Horseshoe
Indeed..life certainly does throw out some tough stuff at times. My priority is my son now and then my new hip. Trying to stay positive all round.

I like those words ..'new hips' = 'new life' ..fingers crossed.

I had a barrage of things hit me all at once then one by one they were resolved. Take life one step at a time - as @Horseshoe says with new hips you can conquer the world.

Just been told my THR has been postponed until April 27th. So annoying and more waiting in the midst of the chaos of my life.

And breathe...

Oh dear - so sorry your surgery is delayed. At least it's not a terrible wait. A chance to make sure everything is in place for your recovery. Take care of yourself!

Yes @Jaycey..great believer in everything done for a reason (well thought I was..) Maybe this gives me more time to get stronger physically and mentally after my personal life episode.

@confused newb thank you, I know only by two weeks but just frustrating when you have your days mapped out leading to the date.
How you doing?

@Minnie15, doing ok... although the waiting is getting to me now. I should be two weeks post op now, but instead I still have two weeks to wait. In the grand scheme of things, it's only another two weeks and it will pass fairly quickly. I do find that my concentration is not great lately, I'm constantly thinking of my surgery instead of thinking about work, etc. Ah well, it'll be all done with before long! :)

Two weeks to go and here I am again having panicky doubts...
My surgery was planned for tomorrow and two days ago I woke with severe pain in my foot! The foot of my 'good leg' and doctor says it's Plantar fasciitis. Good job no op tomorrow as I can't put weight on my foot it's so painful. Honestly.. wrap me in cotton wool and take away my panic attacks and I may actually have my surgery!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom