Guest viewing is limited

Can't make a decision for total hip replacement

@opie ..I'm so pleased you're doing well and happy. Sounds like you're focused, well done and much love for the next few weeks recovery. All these positive comments have been making my decision easier, I can't emphasise how much I appreciate people sharing their experiences.

I've experienced the excruciating pain it's horrible, I think I'm just in a good phase at the moment but as most know that may not last for long and potentially I could go rapidly down hill again. The decision has been making me so ill, I've not eaten for two days however now I've said 'yes' and have a new op date, I feel calmer. Thank you again.
 
You will not regret this decision. In fact, once the surgery is done and you're in recovery, you're going to wonder why you worried about it at all. You've made the right choice.
 
So glad you've decided to go ahead. That's step 1 out of the way. Now you have time to prepare yourself, get your survival kit together and house in order. Plenty of time for all of that and lots of opportunities to ask questions and lean on us for advice and support. You mentioned on another post that the idea of an implant scared you. Well I have 2 of them and can honestly say that I am totally unaware of them in the same way you aren't aware of any of your bones, apart from the ones that hurt of course. This is something you're not going to regret - it will enhance your life. No one should live with pain if there is a solution. You might like to look at my postOp thread (below my signature) and zip through to my summary of the surgery day and subsequent days which I hope will help to reassure you. The whole experience was so much better then I had imagined. I'm 2 hips down now and delighted with them. Keep on tapping in for help and advice - we all understand.
 
@Minnie15
My hip pain went from none to horrible within 9 months. I was uncomfortable lying in bed and had to pause after walking 20-30 steps because my hip hurt so much.

I had my surgery Oct. 19. My new hip is solid and feels as good as new. What amazed me the other day was I couldn't get a spot in a parking garage close to where I was going. I didn't think twice about the distance and walked the entire way without stopping. The last time I was there, before my surgery, a stranger actually stopped and asked me if I was okay.

Good for you. Hope you have a speedy recovery and read the advice on this website. It's a blessing to have found this.
 
@baclectic
Thank you for your kind words. It's brilliant to hear you're doing so well now and no longer have the dreadful pain. I hear so many people say that literally over night they went from ok to severe pain. I'm happy again today that I've made the right decision and now getting myself prepared for next month.

I've already read some useful tips on what things may help recovery, so I totally agree that finding this website is a blessing. It's just good to know that people understand, even the smallest of worries there's someone that just gets it. It's helped me so much.
Best wishes.
 
Hi guys
Having a major wobble today about my decision having read an article about this guy that had dreadful hip OA and one day he woke up and it was gone and never had any pain since for 8 years....so this is a one off right? Surely this doesn't really happen?? My pain low again today just dull ache first thing. Making my stomach go over worrying about it again.

Trying to stay positive and thinking of all my valid reasons for surgery.
 
Surely this doesn't really happen??
I can without a doubt confirm that this does not happen. Once OA takes a bite it will never go away - and in most cases it gets worse quite quickly.

Keep your eye on the prize my friend. You are doing the right thing. You can find all sorts of fiction on the internet. Stick to BoneSmart - it's first hand experience from those of us who have been there before you.
 
It's all a bit of a roller coaster of emotions. Fear of the unknown. But I found reading here and posting really did help pre-op both THRs. Sharing your fears with people who totally understand does have a calming effect.

You've got this @Minnie15 ! And we are with you all the way!
 
This is not even in the "one off" category....I'd say it's more in the vein of "internet myth." Jaycey is right. Even IF there is some truth in the story, it just doesn't work that way with arthritis. When it starts, it gets worse. The unknown is how fast that will happen. And, as folks have told you from their personal experience, it can go down the tubes pretty quickly sometimes. You've done the right and responsible thing by scheduling surgery. Get it done and move on to really enjoy your life.

[Bonesmart.org] Can't make a decision for total hip replacement

You don't need this Balloon of Doom hanging over you when you're trying to do things you enjoy!
 
@Jamie
Balloon of Doom.. that's funny but soooo true! Thank you for your support I really do appreciate it! Sharing my fears and talking with people who genuinely understand and care has been incredibly helpful. I hope I'm able to help others on here too 'on the other side!'
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Miss Muffet
Thanks for your supportive words and understanding how I feel about an implant. I know most don't understand, even my surgeon said he'd never heard that before when I said 'I don't like the idea of an implant in my body' I mean I never wanted a boob job so why do I want a hip implant! Hardly the same I know and this is to relieve pain..enough said however that's my feelings. The things that fly around your head such an emotional roller coaster!

I'm going to look at your post op thread thank you. Eternally grateful for everyone's support and advice.
 
Surgery is scary and they are replacing a hip, but I can truly tell you that I completely forget that I have an implant. Before the surgery, the thought of the pain was truly a deterring factor that controlled whatever I did. After surgery, I had choices again. So, now I have to have my right one done. I know that whatever pain I have from the surgery will disappear and my world will open up again. Don't let your thoughts and fears sabotage you.

Holding thes thoughts for me and you....
 
So I have my pre op on Wednesday ahead of my op on 23rd March.
After my last episode with the surgeon and me changing my mind, I feel a little anxious. Staying positive though and know this time I'm going in there mind made up. So crack on and get it done!
 
Minnie...I totally understand and feel the same way as mine is 3/22. I keep thinking that I might cancel it, but every time I do, it hurts me, or catches or send out some pain and I realize how foolish I would be. I know from having my other hip done how glad I will be. It's just the thought of surgery and rehab that gets in my way. I keep forgetting how well I will feel once it's over and done with. First one I had done on May 25 and I was on Cape Cod for July 4. That's without using a cane! A friend warned me not to sabotage myself and she's absolutely correct, so don't sabotage yourself either.

I have to go on Wednesday for a CAT scan which they will need because they are doing the robotic arm surgery. That doesn't bother me, I've had lots of CAT scans. I think it will be the pre-op anestheology appointment that will make it more real for me. I understand they will do a spinal with something else so that I am totally not awake.

We've got this, we can do it!
 
@Minnie15, I can relate to how you're feeling. I can't imagine anyone going into this surgery and not feeling at least a little anxious... there are so many unknowns that it's so difficult to feel fully settled with the decision. The one thing that everyone seems to agrees with however, is that it's worth it, and you will be glad you did it. My surgery is scheduled for the day after yours, so we'll be going through the recovery at the same time.
I think we're in similar spots pre-op as well... I'm not in debilitating pain all the time. I have varying degrees of pain all the time, but I am still functioning well. That being said, I can tell it's getting worse, and I'm less able to do the things that I want to do... I'll be very happy to get through this and get into recovery mode...
 
@Itzdor and @confused newb all our surgeries one after another! We have to stay in touch!

Thanks for your positive words. My pain is ok ish at the moment, however I'm doing a lot of strength work in the gym but I keep getting gentle reminders that actually it's not 'ok' and my range of movement is dire and then I ache a lot especially in the middle of the night!
All in all I think we forget over time how normal is supposed to feel, we just accept pain and manage it somehow, so I'm looking forward to eventually thinking 'I feel normal again'.

@Itzdor good luck with your scan. I know..the rehab is going to be tough especially when you're relying on others. Like you I think I have to remind myself I can't run before I can walk! I'm going for a spinal too with complete sedation. My uncle had his hip done last year and he was awake chatting to the nurses...errrr NO THANKS!!
 
Evening all..Keep reading all these incredible replies and stories, as just feeling so very anxious about seeing my surgeon tomorrow. ..and I've still got another four weeks to go!
What an emotional roller coaster!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom